Board Games lets discuss

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby The Great Hambino » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:45 pm

New episode just went up. We played Mansions of Madness with my wife and it was a great time. We're going to be giving away a free copy starting tomorrow.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 32817?mt=2
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby quixotic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:27 pm

We've been playing a ton of Secret Hitler lately. Also for a party game, Scrawl has been one of the funniest things I've done in a long time. We bought it on a whim at a discount store (because the game rebranded) and it's been so fun.
quixotic

Postby master sleeper » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:01 pm

lords of waterdeep
secret hitler
master sleeper

Postby weezinghaze » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:16 pm

My job is sending me to pax south in San Antonio next month. Let’s party
weezinghaze

Postby The Great Hambino » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Blah blah blah - Episode Six just went up. We played Village. It sucked, but I'm very picky about euro worker-placement games.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... mpt=uo%3D8

Got Charterstone, Blood Rage and Betrayal at House on the Hill for Christmas. Can't wait to get into these games.
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby The Great Hambino » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:58 pm

We've played and posted a ton of games since the last time anyone posted in this thread. If you wanna hear some thoughts on Blood Rage, Alchemists, Ticket to Ride Europe, Orleans, Puerto Rico, Clank! In Space, Twilight (the board game), Werewords and Ticket to Mars.

Reminder that we give away a free copy of each game we play whenever we post a new episode.

Check out The Board Boys Podcast on Facebook for links and more details.
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby ernest787 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:30 am

i actually just got done with a game of Bloodrage.
ernest787

Postby Marcabre back from dead » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:14 am

How was bloodrage? It looks awesome. How complex/hard to pick up is it?
Marcabre back from dead

Postby Mr. The Plague » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:11 am

Just got into Splendor. So much fun for a 30min game
Mr. The Plague

Postby The Great Hambino » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:25 am

Marcabre back from dead wrote:How was bloodrage? It looks awesome. How complex/hard to pick up is it?

It is really really good, but there are definitely some broken strategies. I’ve been playing Rising Sun a lot recently which I actually prefer. The games are similar, from the same publisher and designer, but I think the added mechanics in Rising Sun are a welcomed addition.
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby Queefer Sutherland » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:55 am

Head Trauma wrote:Bang! is a pretty good one.

This is my favorite one. My friends and I have been playing it pretty regularly for a few years now.

We also like to play Shadow Hunters and Codenames. My buddy has Citadels, but we haven't started playing it yet.
Queefer Sutherland

Postby ernest787 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:47 am

Marcabre back from dead wrote:How was bloodrage? It looks awesome. How complex/hard to pick up is it?

Bloodrage is one of my favorite games. Tons of different ways to win, so it opens up lots of different strategies. Once you've played a few time you can kind of pick out which strategy people are trying to use which can make the game really interesting.

Example: last night my brother realized I was hanging out in the same region with a large force. He also realized I was sending dudes to their death fairly regularly. He immediately put 2 and 2 together and knew I was going to get points for he deaths and had quest that would give me points for holding the region. He was able to get some dudes in the are and foiled my plans. He ended up beating me by 9 points and had I been able to finish what I was doing we figured out I would have won the game by 1 point.

Learning curve - it looks complex but my brother in law played with us last night. He's not a gamer at all and he picked it up really quickly. I was actually telling the people I played with last night that one of my favorite aspects of bloodrage is that it's deep enough for serious games but can be explained to someone in like 30 minutes even if they have limited gaming experience.
ernest787

Postby Head Trauma » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:56 am

Queefer Sutherland wrote:
Head Trauma wrote:Bang! is a pretty good one.

This is my favorite one. My friends and I have been playing it pretty regularly for a few years now.

We also like to play Shadow Hunters and Codenames. My buddy has Citadels, but we haven't started playing it yet.

Codenames is a regular in my group of friends. We currently are on a huge Dominion kick, it's insane how many expansions this damn thing has.
Head Trauma

Postby The Great Hambino » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:53 am

Playing The Gallerist this Wednesday. I'm already mentally preparing myself for the mind melt to eventually happen. Played Lisboa last week and it was punishingly complicated.
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby weezinghaze » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:43 pm

I’ll be at PAX EAST (Boston) next weekend. Down to game :smt006
weezinghaze

Postby The Great Hambino » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:52 am

Got Dead of Winter to the table on Friday. Would highly recommend for anyone who likes a great thematic, semi-cooperative game.
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby eilers » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:01 am

Dead of Winter was a good one. Might pick it up eventually.

Played Mansions of Madness for the first time a little while back and loved it, so spooky and liked that you have the tablet with music and voice-overs.

I got Sheriff of Nottingham way back and we've played it several times but I feel like the game is a bit broken? A game based on bluffing and trying to sneak in banned items but every single time we've played it the people who never bluff always win. Once people catch on to this it makes the bluffing essentially a non-factor. Anyone else find this?
eilers

Postby weezinghaze » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:34 pm

I had to work a table top convention this past weekend. Star Wars legion was the hot ticket item of the weekend. I think it looks dope and might try it out. I also saw The Godfather board game that looks really cool. It seems like catan but with drive bys and car bombs.
weezinghaze

Postby ernest787 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:57 pm

Dead of Winter is a lot of fun. It was one of the first games I purchased.
ernest787

Postby NALYD. » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:38 pm

I saw today that a FOIA request uncovered board games developed for training at the CIA.
NALYD.

Postby The Toxic Avenger » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:52 pm

dude my roommate and his girl are so into board games and force me to play all the motherfucking time and i hate every goddamn one of them. i can't even remember all the names. he owns probably a hundred games. he goes on trips out to a cabin in the woods with a bunch of other dudes and they do like board game vacations. shit is whack. nah really some are cool i like the nerdy shit with like dragons and castles.

potion explosion, spyfall, secret hitler, gloom haven, twilight emperium, uhhh... can't remember
The Toxic Avenger
stop me. you wont.

Postby Marcabre back from dead » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:38 am

Scythe looks awesome but complicated.
Marcabre back from dead

Postby The Great Hambino » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:10 pm

Dudes, it finally happened. The podcast a few friends and I do are getting a few advanced copies of a game to review and giveaway.

Anyone else backing Imperius on Kickstarter? I'm a sucker for anything in the Dune universe.
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby J.o. » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:56 am

The Fireball Island remake kickstarter is up, it passed its goal in under 24 hours. The new additions look good, along with the expansions.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/re ... escription
J.o.

Postby The Unabomber's Hoodie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:04 am

Marcabre back from dead wrote:Scythe looks awesome but complicated.

Scythe has a lot of components but its actually relatively simplistic. One or two play throughs with the rules next to you will be all you need.
The Unabomber's Hoodie

Postby The Great Hambino » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:05 am

J.o. wrote:The Fireball Island remake kickstarter is up, it passed its goal in under 24 hours. The new additions look good, along with the expansions.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/re ... escription

I'm hoping on a FLGS order to save a few bucks on shipping. Very excited for this.
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Previous