Film Thread

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby AThrenody » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:35 pm

Alex 2K wrote:Yall know my stance on Dunkirk

I'm more people aren't big on Columbus. Both leads are fantastic and it's so measured and considered. Beautifully shot and just as somber as Lady Bird (though not nearly as funny, which isn't a detriment for their particular film).

Yeah I've seen Columbus on a lot of lists lately definitely deserves it too.
AThrenody

Postby Heathenist » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:38 pm

AThrenody wrote:I see insane amount of praise for Dunkirk but I don't get it. I think it's a great movie and has deserves some praise but top 5? eh.

Yeah, not even close to my top 5 and I've missed a ton of movies this year.

Right now (granted I've missed a lot of movies that people are putting in their lists, i.e. Florida Project, Columbus, Blade Runner, The Big Sick, The Square, Phantom Thread, Disaster Artist, Thelma, etc):

Get Out (easily my favorite of the year, instant classic and I think in 20-30 years it'll be the movie that stands out the most from 2017)

Lady Bird (Doesn't top Get Out, but easily bests the next 3 on the list, Greta is a gem, everything about this movie is perfect)

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (Such a weird movie, it's hard to even explain what makes it so weird, the plot doesn't really stand out as being particularly odd, but the characters, their portrayals, and everything about them makes this such a bizarre movie that really stuck with me)

It Comes at Night (I know this one had mixed reviews, but I really dug it, it was mysterious without being overly complex, and it was a movie that was worth discussing and thinking about for weeks after watching it)

Personal Shopper (This one seemed to get overlooked this year, but I thought it was great, Kristen Stewart's performance was fantastic and the story was really compelling)

Honorable Mentions would be Thor and Logan, but I felt weird including comic book movies, even though they were both fantastic.

I obviously have a lot to catch up on this year though.
Heathenist

Postby oliviatremorcontrol » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:12 pm

My top 10

Logan
Columbus
War for the Planet of the Apes
Thor Ragnarok
Blade Runner
Mudbound
Get Out
I Am Not Your Negro
The Shape of Water
Hidden Figures
oliviatremorcontrol

Postby jaredfromsubway » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:56 pm

I thought Dunkirk was pretty good, but Hollywood jerks off Nolan big time

Columbus is on my Top 10 at the moment

Scored a pass to see The Shape of Water tomorrow, hopefully I make it in time from work cause I gotta drive all the way to Santa Monica

Also scored a pass for the premiere of Bright lol
jaredfromsubway

Postby benten » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:11 pm

Has anyone seen Foxtrot yet? (Foreign film) or All These Sleepless Nights? (The #25 film on Ehrlich's video countdown). I'm a sucker for weird foreign dance scenes.
benten

Postby benten » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:12 pm

Has anyone seen Foxtrot yet? (Foreign film) or All These Sleepless Nights? (The #25 film on Ehrlich's video countdown). I'm a sucker for weird foreign dance scenes.
benten

Postby Bob Loblaw » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:54 pm

I’m currently rewatching Her and caught something I did not the first time around. At about 1:26:50, a weird looking ghost lady thing appears in the background!

what the fuck??
Bob Loblaw

Postby dazprospect » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:01 am

Bob Loblaw wrote:I’m currently rewatching Her and caught something I did not the first time around. At about 1:26:50, a weird looking ghost lady thing appears in the background!

what the fuck??

Just had a look at this. In the archway kind've thing in the back right corner? Thats weird as shit aha.
dazprospect

Postby jaredfromsubway » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:13 am

benten wrote:Has anyone seen Foxtrot yet? (Foreign film) or All These Sleepless Nights? (The #25 film on Ehrlich's video countdown). I'm a sucker for weird foreign dance scenes.

Foxtrot comes out this Friday. Had a chance to see it at AFI, but I saw I, Tonya instead

Just watched Sweet Virginia, while the story has been done many times before, dating back to Double Indemnity. It's still well done and the cast is great, especially Christopher Abbott. A few years from now, I can see Abbott getting nominated for something, great upcoming actor.
jaredfromsubway

Postby Bob Loblaw » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:17 am

dazprospect wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:I’m currently rewatching Her and caught something I did not the first time around. At about 1:26:50, a weird looking ghost lady thing appears in the background!

what the fuck??

Just had a look at this. In the archway kind've thing in the back right corner? Thats weird as shit aha.

Yes, very creepy
Bob Loblaw

Postby ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:25 am

Bob Loblaw wrote:
dazprospect wrote:

what the fuck??

Yes, very creepy

It's the ghost of a production assistant who got in the frame. There were posts about this on some sites a couple years ago.
ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe
In the Valley of the Dolls

Postby benten » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:27 am

dazprospect wrote:

what the fuck??

...interesting!
benten

Postby kylec123 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:02 am

benten wrote:Has anyone seen Foxtrot yet? (Foreign film) or All These Sleepless Nights? (The #25 film on Ehrlich's video countdown). I'm a sucker for weird foreign dance scenes.

I've seen All These Sleepless Nights, this past weekend actually(Netflix). I liked it a good amount and haven't seen anything like it, that I can think of. Some interesting editing/camera work.
kylec123

Postby benten » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:00 am

kylec123 wrote:

I've seen All These Sleepless Nights, this past weekend actually(Netflix). I liked it a good amount and haven't seen anything like it, that I can think of. Some interesting editing/camera work.

awesome, thanks!
benten

Postby The Lowest One » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:11 pm

TDA was so good and packs a surprising amount of heart. Very solid movie about friendship.
The Lowest One

Postby Stormy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:47 pm

jaredfromsubway wrote:

Foxtrot comes out this Friday. Had a chance to see it at AFI, but I saw I, Tonya instead

Just watched Sweet Virginia, while the story has been done many times before, dating back to Double Indemnity. It's still well done and the cast is great, especially Christopher Abbott. A few years from now, I can see Abbott getting nominated for something, great upcoming actor.

I have mixed feelings about Sweet Virginia. I loved the characters, the settings, acting etc. I was pretty invested in the story too. But overall it's like they went out of their way to make the entire thing very anticlimactic.

Spoiler: show
With all the buildup you really expect things to come to a head, but it just kind of peters out. I get that the couple both had to go through a very traumatic experience to somehow bring them closer, i guess i just wanted more of a confrontational end. Just my take. I liked it enough to want to see it again actually.
Stormy

Postby Ben Nash » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:07 pm

Just saw Lady Bird last night, what an awesome movie.

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff but my favorites this year would have to include

Blade Runner
Get Out
BAYBAYYYYYY Driver
Ingrid Goes West
Wind River
Lady Bird
Logan
The Florida Project
Detriot

I went into Killing a Sacred Deer, Mother! and The Beguiled with really high expectations and thought a lot of the scenes were very well done (directed/acted/shot/executed/w/e), but didn't really connect or get drawn into the narratives.
Ben Nash

Postby the religion lie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:43 pm

Columbus was as great as everyone here is saying they are. Linklater meets Ozu? I'm in.

Way too early to start dropping top 10 lists, imo. There's plenty of things out later this month that will probably be on mine - Phantom Thread, I, Tonya, The Post, Disaster Artist, etc. This has been a great year.
the religion lie

Postby Stormy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:53 am

Can't believe i don't see The Hero on ANY list anywhere. Top 5 of the year for me
Stormy

Postby jaredfromsubway » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:54 am

Stormy wrote:
jaredfromsubway wrote:

I have mixed feelings about Sweet Virginia. I loved the characters, the settings, acting etc. I was pretty invested in the story too. But overall it's like they went out of their way to make the entire thing very anticlimactic.

With all the buildup you really expect things to come to a head, but it just kind of peters out. I get that the couple both had to go through a very traumatic experience to somehow bring them closer, i guess i just wanted more of a confrontational end. Just my take. I liked it enough to want to see it again actually.

Agreed

The Shape of Water was great, I won't go as far as calling it Del Toro's best, but it's up there. Sally Hawkins is so damn good in this, love her. I was also surprised how funny it was. Solid date movie.
jaredfromsubway

Postby You'reAHooker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:19 am

Last weekend I had caught Call Me By Your Name, I just loved it, it had the perfect tone and look for what it was, a beautiful snapshot of both growing up and finding love. I've only been going to the cinema regularly in the last 2/3 years but is it me or has this year been great for movies?

The chat near the end with Elio and his dad hit me hard "to feel nothing so as not to feel anything is a terrible waste"
You'reAHooker

Postby jaredfromsubway » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:51 am

Call Me By Your Name comes out in my area this weekend, can't wait to see it
jaredfromsubway

Postby benten » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:48 am

You'reAHooker wrote:Last weekend I had caught Call Me By Your Name, I just loved it, it had the perfect tone and look for what it was, a beautiful snapshot of both growing up and finding love. I've only been going to the cinema regularly in the last 2/3 years but is it me or has this year been great for movies?

The chat near the end with Elio and his dad hit me hard "to feel nothing so as not to feel anything is a terrible waste"

I think its been a weird year for movies in some respects, but not short of great with movies that are coming out recently.
Horror has made bank at the box office. Studios put out great movies. Get Out is going to have a big Oscar run and its A) Horror, B) Came out in early February.

Indies haven't been as strong as recent years. There's absolutely no front runner for the Oscar in Picture, Director, Actor or Actress. In one (actors) because its the weakest in years, and the other (actresses) because its so crowded with great performances.

Some movies coming out weren't even completed until recently -- Phantom Thread, The Post. There were sequels to Trainspotting and Blade Runner. Wolverine died and Dominic Torretto became a villain (for a movie's run time). There were action movies that seemed like they shouldve come out in late 90s/early 2000s - a plus in my book, but weird.
benten

Postby Cletis Vandamme » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:24 pm

I feel like Frances McDormand is the clear front runner for actress. I'd be very surprised if she doesn't win.
Cletis Vandamme

Postby Alex 2K » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:28 pm

how tight would Ronan winning be though
Alex 2K

Postby lala fuck you » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:33 pm

BAYBAYYYYYY driver was great
lala fuck you

Postby jaredfromsubway » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:34 pm

I've been hearing talk of Sally Hawkins being a potential front runner as well, she was so damn good in The Shape of Water, especially that her character is essentially a mute. Been a fan of her since seeing her in Mike Leigh's Happy Go Lucky.

I like that there isn't a clear frontrunner for certain categories, I'd rather go into the Oscars already not knowing who is going to win. Possible upsets could be in store.
Last edited by jaredfromsubway on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaredfromsubway

Postby Cletis Vandamme » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:34 pm

I'd rather see McDormand win. So not that cool.

Well, maybe a little cool.
Cletis Vandamme

Postby Alex 2K » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:39 pm

I like not knowing, even though I go to an Oscar party and have placed 4th and 5th the last two years in their competition.

THIS HAS TO BE MY YEAR
Alex 2K

Postby jaredfromsubway » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:48 pm

But yeah, I'd be cool with either Hawkins, Ronan, or McDormand winning
jaredfromsubway

Postby ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:03 am

I can only think of a handful of movies I watched this year that I disliked more than mother!

With Noah, that is now 2 in a row from Aronofsky that I legit hated. Since I loved both The Wrestler and Black Swan so much, I'll give him one more pass.

Postby benten » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:06 am

Ronan, McDormand, Hawkins, and Streep all are even right now. McDormand has lost steam the last week with the precursors because she's the only one not to win anything yet out of the big first 4, and Three Billboards has had a very weak showing overall also. Margot Robbie or Jessica Chastain will fill out the lat spot.

Ronan won Gothams and NYFCC

Streep won NBR

Hawkins won LAFCA
benten

Postby jaredfromsubway » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:41 am

Leaning towards Robbie, but that is just personal bias cause I enjoyed I Tonya more than I liked Molly's Game
jaredfromsubway

Postby jblaze » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:56 am

If I hear one more thing about Lady Bird I'm gonna flip my shit
jblaze

Postby The Lowest One » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:59 am

It's a great movie. :smt102
The Lowest One

Postby jblaze » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:29 am

Honestly just reading the synopsis makes me grind my teeth
jblaze

Postby the religion lie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:05 pm

You should probably watch it before developing such a strong opinion on it. If a movie tells you everything you need to know in it's synopsis then it probably isn't worth watching.
the religion lie

Postby jblaze » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:40 pm

I can tell by your username you're extremely deep. You should probably knock the dust off your fedora and re-read my post - nobody's saying a synopsis captures the beauty or subtleties in a flick.

Seriously though, if you're a man, and enjoyed it that much, you may want to speak to your doctor about TRT.
jblaze

Postby rwh » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 pm

You come across as very secure in your masculinity.
rwh

Postby ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:15 pm

Duckbutter.

Postby jaredfromsubway » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:18 pm

Lol
jaredfromsubway

Postby Cowboy Dan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:49 pm

add me, i'll add you https://letterboxd.com/jjweber/
Cowboy Dan

Postby Stormy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:52 pm

jblaze wrote:Honestly just reading the synopsis makes me grind my teeth

I'm like this with movies like Thor: Ragnarok or Spider-Man: Homecoming or whatever bullshit. And in these cases i DO NOT need to see the film before i can develop a strong opinion on it. Sometimes i'll see a movie like this while flipping channels, watch the first 5 minutes, laugh a little and then change it. Just not my thing. Difference is i don't judge people who do like these movies.

Haven't seen Lady Bird yet. It's on the list.
Stormy

Postby Chronoclast » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:01 pm

Do not engage.
Chronoclast

Postby refill » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:12 pm

ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe wrote:Duckbutter.

Yeah, I looked at the user's previous posts after reading the mass shooting thread and thought that it might be a real person for a min. But it's gotta be db.
refill

Postby the religion lie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Cowboy Dan wrote:add me, i'll add you https://letterboxd.com/jjweber/

Added. Here's mine: https://letterboxd.com/niallmccarthy
the religion lie

Postby lala fuck you » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Chronoclast wrote:Do not engage.
:smt005
lala fuck you

Postby chrischill » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:17 pm

Can't fuckin wait to be off work for 2 and a half weeks and catch all the good shit coming out this month/most of the shit I missed this year. What a year for films.
chrischill

Postby The Lowest One » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:52 pm

I still have a few more things to see, but I feel pretty confident in stating my favorites of 2017. I did not see BR2049 and probably won't. Still need to see Florida Project and I am pretty intrigued by I, Tonya.

1. Lady Bird
2. Get Oout
3. The Big Sick
4. Wind River
5. The Disaster Artist
6. Good Time
7. Hounds of Love
8. Catfight
9. John Wick 2
10. Hidden Figures

Honorable mentions, Detroit, Mother!, Raw
The Lowest One