Anyone fucks with cryptocurrencies?

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby oldorder » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:31 pm

oldorder wrote:Put $150 in each of the three through coinbase, if I get $450 in interest I'll pull that out and leave the initial investment in and go from there.

My bank canceled all the transactions, redid them and only one went through. Got two calls from my bank for possible fraud and now the app says I've done too many transaction requests in one day. Off to a good start.
oldorder
would rather die than not eat Taco Bell

Postby alchemist » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:47 pm

oldorder wrote:
oldorder wrote:Put $150 in each of the three through coinbase, if I get $450 in interest I'll pull that out and leave the initial investment in and go from there.

My bank canceled all the transactions, redid them and only one went through. Got two calls from my bank for possible fraud and now the app says I've done too many transaction requests in one day. Off to a good start.

This happened to me yesterday. Wells Fargo flagged my purchases and I had to call and authorize them. I switched my Coinbase payment from my card to direct debit and it seems to be working although I hate that it adds a waiting period. I went in for some more ETH today after I saw how much mine jumped in the past 24 hours.
alchemist

Postby vomitponx » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:09 pm

pissed i sold all my eth like 8.5 coins and then soon after it jumps to a new high after sitting at 300 for god knows low long. Im gonna try to buy like 10 eth when it drops a bit
vomitponx

Postby pizzapower518 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:07 pm

alchemist wrote:
oldorder wrote:

This happened to me yesterday. Wells Fargo flagged my purchases and I had to call and authorize them. I switched my Coinbase payment from my card to direct debit and it seems to be working although I hate that it adds a waiting period. I went in for some more ETH today after I saw how much mine jumped in the past 24 hours.

I know a couple people who had an issue linking their bank accounts to Coinbase. It might depend on the bank you use. I have Keybank and I didn't have an issue, but that was back in the Spring so Coinbase may have a different process or security features now.
pizzapower518

Postby oldorder » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:25 pm

pizzapower518 wrote:
alchemist wrote:
oldorder wrote:

I know a couple people who had an issue linking their bank accounts to Coinbase. It might depend on the bank you use. I have Keybank and I didn't have an issue, but that was back in the Spring so Coinbase may have a different process or security features now.

Wells Fargo rep said they've had a lot of fraud associated with the app. My prepper brother in laws take was "Banks really hate cypto. Could put them out of business."
oldorder

Postby Latenightloser » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:58 pm

What's everyone's experiences "selling" currency on coinbase? My bro told me about ethereum a year ago, kinda kicking myself now. Thinking about investing in litecoin
Latenightloser

Postby pizzapower518 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:03 pm

You can either sell and just store it on coinbase as cash if you're planning to reinvest or you can withdraw it right to your bank account. It might be different with larger amounts but I've done it a couple times with transactions between $500-$3,000.
pizzapower518

Postby jaredfromsubway » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:10 pm

Just invested in a couple litecoins
jaredfromsubway

Postby rickybomb » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:56 pm

Ethereum is bonkers atm.
rickybomb

Postby pizzapower518 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:01 pm

The last couple days have been incredible for Ehtereum. After what happened in July I'm so nervous about it crashing again, though. Hopefully it'll stabilize around 450.
pizzapower518

Postby alchemist » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:10 am

LTC is way up over the past few days.
alchemist

Postby pizzapower518 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:35 am

New all time highs for BTC and LTC today. It's been an amazing week for crytpo in general. I remember when it was a huge deal that the market cap for all of crytpo passed 100 billion. Now it's almost 275.
pizzapower518

Postby jaredfromsubway » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:13 am

I've been hearing that ripple coins will go up next year, it's currently at 24 cents a coin
jaredfromsubway

Postby vomitponx » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:56 am

pizzapower518 wrote:The last couple days have been incredible for Ehtereum. After what happened in July I'm so nervous about it crashing again, though. Hopefully it'll stabilize around 450.

yeah im bummed it went so high after i sold but now idk whether to buy in or not cus its def hit 400 before then tanked and who knows if itll crash again
vomitponx

Postby Latenightloser » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:16 am

Just put a little bit of cash into BTC, ETH and LTC via coinbase.

There's a six day hold until the currency shows up in my coinbase account - I'm assuming the hold is from my bank, not coinbase?

Is there a holding period if I were selling on coinbase?
Latenightloser

Postby niggamortis II » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:58 am

i just put a bit on BTC few days ago and was interested in the hold as well mainly because my bank isnt showing that what i put down on it.

once i get a hang of it and learn a bit more i plan on investing a little more possibly in ETH as well.

aslo what wallets are you guys using as in what i have read it seems safer to keep the BTC in a wallet other than coinbase?
niggamortis II

Postby vomitponx » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:19 am

Im not sure about the hold, but i do believe they put a hold when you sell as well.

for my wallet i use blockchain.info there might be better ones out there since ive had it for a while but as long as you have two factor authentication they all do the same thing
vomitponx

Postby Adonis » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:55 pm

look into hardware wallets, where your bitcoin wont be 'online' all the time
Adonis

Postby lewdson.v2 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:24 pm

My brother recently got me a Trezor wallet about a month or so ago; apparently these hardware wallets are the shit aside from the paper one he said he used to use haha

Definitely happy I have a brother who is super into this shit because so far what he's been telling me has gotten me very excited for his future haha
lewdson.v2

Postby pizzapower518 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:14 pm

I keep everything in my coinbase wallet and I have it set up so they text me to confirm any transactions. They're insured in the event there's a data breach on their end, so you really just have to worry about making sure your personal account is secure.

I've never used a hardware wallet but i've heard good things and you can never be too safe.
pizzapower518

Postby xAJXDx » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:20 am

Posting as my friend got me thinking on this shit.
xAJXDx

Postby pizzapower518 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:16 pm

It's gonna be really cool if BTC hits 10k and ETH hits 500 on the same day. It's a realistic possibility and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened by the weekend.
pizzapower518

Postby alchemist » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Just talked to a buddy of mine who's been trading crypto for several years. He told me to buy up LTC right now because he thinks it will hit $1-1.5k by the end of next year. Says he expects 2018 to be a huge year for cryptocurrencies in general but LTC is the one we stand to make the most profit on.

I want to wait and see if it dips again before I grab some more. It looks like it's about to break $100 but I've read some opinions that it dips back to like $60 before it will really go crazy.
alchemist

Postby rickybomb » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:14 pm

Alchemist, whats his projection for ETH? Any other smaller ones he thinks might take off?
rickybomb

Postby alchemist » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Nah I only got to talk to him for just a couple of minutes today but I will report back if he has any other thoughts to share. I actually started off asking him about ETH and he just said "Buy LTC all day long."

I have been reading some on /r/ethtrader and those dudes are very optimistic that ETH is headed for a big December and a huge 2018.
alchemist

Postby rickybomb » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Okey! Bought 100€ worth of ltc to see how it plays out. Yeah, ive been reading that too, but the bias is obv strong in there.
rickybomb

Postby pizzapower518 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:27 pm

r/ethtrader is a huge circlejerk. It's fun when things are going well but it's basically just the same jokes and memes and pie in the sky predictions every day.

I don't really know much about LTC. I'm not sure what distinguishes it from other crypto's besides the fact that it's on Coinbase but it's up 2200% since last year so there's gotta be something to it.
pizzapower518

Postby PiranhaSauna » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:18 pm

There's a bitcoin ATM in a random, sketchy gas station in Nashville. It's the only one I've ever seen. I wonder why it's there. What kind of clientele would be using a bitcoin ATM? Someone shed some light.
PiranhaSauna
doesn't understand the Bill of Rights

Postby redstarohyeah » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:21 am

I have wanted to invest for so long, but I'm so poor I'm like absolutely terrified to spend any money at all.
redstarohyeah

Postby chadinati » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:32 pm

Have been putting off investing in ETH and BTC for literal years. Every time I've gone to buy I see that it just went up and get discouraged and back out. Just looked on Coinbase to see LTC jumped an insane amount this week and got discouraged again despite knowing damn well if I would have bit the bullet and bought into BTC ~4 years ago when I was originally going to I'd be living large...
chadinati

Postby pizzapower518 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:50 pm

Bitcoin made it to 10k. I don't own any so I don't have a vested interest besides the overall impact it could have on crytpo which would hopefully trickle down to Eth, but it's insane.

It's fascinating that there were people who called this two years ago and everybody laughed and forgot about it. Now there are people saying it'll be 100k someday and it still seems impossible, even though we just saw those same 10x gains in the last year.
pizzapower518

Postby redstarohyeah » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:36 pm

This is a super dumbed down question, but keep in mind I'm an idiot with not only money, but investing in general. Do the same general rules apply to crpytocurrency that would with a regular stock? Basically, you try to buy low and then sit on them until you think they're as high as they're going to get? Or is their something else at play since they're currency?
redstarohyeah

Postby James k » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:41 pm

I'm honestly looking to short bitcoins.

There is no way in hell the growth its showing is sustainable. At a time when internet security is at an all time low, i refuse to believe that a currency which is 1. unregulated by any government in the world and is worth hundreds of billions of dollars will not fall prey to hackers. These are the same people who made off with half of the American population's credit information, you think bitcoin is out of their reach? And security is NOT impossible. Its completely intangible, its not like gold which you can lock up somewhere. Especially considering the capital investment / trader firms buying up bitcoins' networks are actually trash. This isn't exactly the NSA we're talking about. Hackers are just waiting for bitcoin growth to stabilize and then they're going to carry off tons of it.
James k

Postby vomitponx » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:51 pm

as far as i know bitcoin itself is pretty impossible to hack. its open source so the code is right there and its always being evaluated for flaws. but the exchanges that trade and sell bitcoin like coinbase and gdax can definitely be hacked to obtain user data and then sending all the bitcoin to one specific address. which is why its preferred to keep your bitcoin separated amongst different wallets or taking it conpletely offline into a hardware wallet.

people who have thousands worth usually keep it offline in a hardware wallet which as far as i know cant be hacked
vomitponx

Postby pizzapower518 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:54 pm

James k wrote:I'm honestly looking to short bitcoins.

There is no way in hell the growth its showing is sustainable. At a time when internet security is at an all time low, i refuse to believe that a currency which is 1. unregulated by any government in the world and is worth hundreds of billions of dollars will not fall prey to hackers. These are the same people who made off with half of the American population's credit information, you think bitcoin is out of their reach? And security is NOT impossible. Its completely intangible, its not like gold which you can lock up somewhere. Especially considering the capital investment / trader firms buying up bitcoins' networks are actually trash. This isn't exactly the NSA we're talking about. Hackers are just waiting for bitcoin growth to stabilize and then they're going to carry off tons of it.

It's gonna be really interesting to see if BTC hits a wall at 10k, or if all the publicity and interest it's gonna generate will carry it higher. It's definitely a super risky short sell right now.

https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-keep-bitcoin-safe-and-secure/ This is quick article on basic security measures.

I think that attitude is why a lot of people were afraid to invest early on and probably still. It's a rational fear, but there are plenty of ways to keep your coins as safe as possible.
pizzapower518

Postby vomitponx » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:55 pm

redstarohyeah wrote:This is a super dumbed down question, but keep in mind I'm an idiot with not only money, but investing in general. Do the same general rules apply to crpytocurrency that would with a regular stock? Basically, you try to buy low and then sit on them until you think they're as high as they're going to get? Or is their something else at play since they're currency?

pretty much but with crypto you have no idea whats the low and if itll ever drop down and if it does drop down how low itll go. my cousin wanted to buy at 5k which was the all time high atm and i told him wait for a drop. it dropped once since then and that was to 5k then a week later jumped to 10k
vomitponx

Postby pizzapower518 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:56 pm

vomitponx wrote:as far as i know bitcoin itself is pretty impossible to hack. its open source so the code is right there and its always being evaluated for flaws. but the exchanges that trade and sell bitcoin like coinbase and gdax can definitely be hacked to obtain user data and then sending all the bitcoin to one specific address. which is why its preferred to keep your bitcoin separated amongst different wallets or taking it conpletely offline into a hardware wallet.

people who have thousands worth usually keep it offline in a hardware wallet which as far as i know cant be hacked

Coinbase is insured (up to a certain amount) in case of a breach like that. Obviously it's still smart to utilize a hardware wallet, but the only way you're gonna lose your coins on CB is if someone hacks your personal account.
pizzapower518

Postby James k » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:17 pm

pizzapower518 wrote:

It's gonna be really interesting to see if BTC hits a wall at 10k, or if all the publicity and interest it's gonna generate will carry it higher. It's definitely a super risky short sell right now.

https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-keep-bitcoin-safe-and-secure/ This is quick article on basic security measures.

I think that attitude is why a lot of people were afraid to invest early on and probably still. It's a rational fear, but there are plenty of ways to keep your coins as safe as possible.

My plan is to wait for it to plateau with price variability around +/- 5% for one quarter then short. Once, the price evens out, it will be the best time to make off with it. There's no reason hackers would fuck up their own bottom line by crashing the price before maximizing it.
James k

Postby xAJXDx » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:10 pm

I bought 3 LTCs and 0.5 ETH just for shits and giggles. LTC was $92.33 when I bought, dropped to $88 within a hour, so I was already preparing the noose. Luckily its *currently* $94.90 so I guess I'll go buy a Porsche.
xAJXDx

Postby xAJXDx » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:11 pm

ETH was $485.44 when I bought, *currently* $469.02... so I'm re-tying my noose.
xAJXDx

Postby oldorder » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:24 pm

James k wrote:
pizzapower518 wrote:

My plan is to wait for it to plateau with price variability around +/- 5% for one quarter then short. Once, the price evens out, it will be the best time to make off with it. There's no reason hackers would fuck up their own bottom line by crashing the price before maximizing it.

Genuinely curious how much you're willing to pay to short it. A short is some baller hedge fund manager shit. And with the repeated hacks that have already happened and it's continued growth you have to wonder how much it would take to completely collapse it.
oldorder

Postby pizzapower518 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:39 pm

xAJXDx wrote:ETH was $485.44 when I bought, *currently* $469.02... so I'm re-tying my noose.

I bought a few at 360 back in June and then it ending up dipping to like 140 in July and I was so bummed. Now it feels incredible. You've just gotta hang on and hope for the best.
pizzapower518

Postby xAJXDx » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:49 pm

I’ve never invested before so this is a terrible new world. I understand the mottto HODL so I’m trying to be cool. Only invested $500 total so I feel good.
xAJXDx

Postby Latenightloser » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:00 pm

Looks like litecoin will hit the $100 mark soon, which apparently is a huge milestone for ltc
Latenightloser

Postby Latenightloser » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:02 pm

I'm reallllly liking the gains with bitcoin, that's going to be my next investment
Latenightloser

Postby alchemist » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:04 am

This shit is rolling right now. The past 24 hours have been huge, not just for BTC.
alchemist

Postby pizzapower518 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:12 am

ETH and LTC are both < 1% away from hitting 500 and 100, respectively. Could be an exciting day.
pizzapower518

Postby vomitponx » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:33 am

eth hit 500 today already
god damn i love crypto right now but im nt gonna act like i wasnt stressed out and pissed off last week when btc tanked
vomitponx

Postby pizzapower518 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:42 am

Oh man, it was up to 517 today.

I woke up and saw it was 494 and it didn't even occur to me that it may have already crossed 500 then dipped back down. When I went to bed it was like 475. Crazy.
pizzapower518

Postby rickybomb » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:41 pm

^Some serious whale action.
rickybomb

PreviousNext