First time homebuyer

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Concealer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Very excited to have a place that I can do whatever I want with. Give me tips or stories about your home projects or cool gadgets and shit to buy. Always wanted to have some level of environmental control units present in a house, being able to remotely do shit via my phone seems cool.

3 bedroom, 1.5 bath rowhome with waterproofed basement and backyard with deck and fire pit.

Tell me about cool shit you did to your house.
Concealer

Postby chugging_pus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Do you have a demon???
chugging_pus

Postby ass eyes » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Cum in every room
ass eyes

Postby Sarahohio » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:42 pm

I love owning my own house. I've only basically painted the walls. However, I have a pond in my living room floor...so I feel like a baller
Sarahohio
has lots of friends

Postby !azzip » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:45 pm

I enjoy avocados far too much
!azzip
Mind the d, ladies

Postby andydansby » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:49 pm

ass eyes wrote:Cum in every room

See how waterproof that basement really is
andydansby
RIP Brittany Murphy

Postby Concealer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:53 pm

Sarahohio wrote:I love owning my own house. I've only basically painted the walls. However, I have a pond in my living room floor...so I feel like a baller

Hell yeah. Get some sharks with laser beams attached to their frickin heads
Concealer

Postby MODULOK » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:54 pm

ass eyes wrote:Cum in every room
MODULOK

Postby Sarahohio » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Concealer wrote:
Sarahohio wrote:I love owning my own house. I've only basically painted the walls. However, I have a pond in my living room floor...so I feel like a baller

Hell yeah. Get some sharks with laser beams attached to their frickin heads

lol
Sarahohio
has lots of friends

Postby Luke's Replacement » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:30 pm

I've become obsessed with water-proofing my basement. It's "finished" with a full bathroom, but the folks who flipped it to us decided not to put any flooring down because they thought we should wait and see what happened when we got heavy rain.

So that was code for "Hey, we built this shitty window well, and it's going to turn into a giant fish tank whenever it rains." We were literally getting about 100+ gallons into the basement in a storm.

So my father and I built a window well cover on our own, thus saving about $800. That worked pretty well, but whenever it rained SUPER heavy the ground would get saturated, and water would come pouring into the well... then into the basement.

Called one of those basement finishing sales guys over, and he showed me this $2,000 design/installation they do where they bury a sump pump in your window well and feed the water out into your yard. I thanked him for his time. Never called him back or replied to any of his follow-up e-mails. Went to Home Depot, bought a $5 bucket, drilled a fuckton of holes in it, covered it with screen door mesh to keep dirt out, threw a $100 sump pump in there and buried the whole contraption in my window well. BOOM. Bone fucking dry.

Started getting a little water on the other side of the basement, realized it was coming in from a crack in the foundation. Waited for a 50-ish degree day, dug about three feet down to the bottom of the crack, filled that shit with liquid cement and covered it over with masonry sealant. BOOM. Bone fucking dry.

Flooring's going down this spring. Adds about 600 square feet to my house, which otherwise is like 1075 sq. ft. So that's huge.

Before I owned a house I'd never done a fucking thing. Swung a hammer, dug a hole, nothing. Now I'm spending every last fucking dime at the hardware store. I have no idea who I am anymore, but I'm actually kind of psyched on it.
Luke's Replacement

Postby Mattciq » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:43 pm

bought a house last week. installed a bidet attachment on my toilet. i now have the cleanest asshole on the block.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HXDJQC4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Mattciq

Postby DUTCH MASTA KILLA » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:47 pm

Grow weed in the basement.
DUTCH MASTA KILLA

Postby Pottymouth » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:12 pm

GF and I moved in to the new house (she purchased) about 1.5 years ago and we still haven't even gotten all the rooms set up because working full time is fucking exhausting.

I really don't know how people manage spend their week working and then their weekend also working on their home.
Pottymouth

Postby Concealer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Def getting a bidet and I want one that produces warm water so as not to irritate my tender undercarriage
Concealer

Postby Concealer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Luke's Replacement wrote:I've become obsessed with water-proofing my basement. It's "finished" with a full bathroom, but the folks who flipped it to us decided not to put any flooring down because they thought we should wait and see what happened when we got heavy rain.

So that was code for "Hey, we built this shitty window well, and it's going to turn into a giant fish tank whenever it rains." We were literally getting about 100+ gallons into the basement in a storm.

So my father and I built a window well cover on our own, thus saving about $800. That worked pretty well, but whenever it rained SUPER heavy the ground would get saturated, and water would come pouring into the well... then into the basement.

Called one of those basement finishing sales guys over, and he showed me this $2,000 design/installation they do where they bury a sump pump in your window well and feed the water out into your yard. I thanked him for his time. Never called him back or replied to any of his follow-up e-mails. Went to Home Depot, bought a $5 bucket, drilled a fuckton of holes in it, covered it with screen door mesh to keep dirt out, threw a $100 sump pump in there and buried the whole contraption in my window well. BOOM. Bone fucking dry.

Started getting a little water on the other side of the basement, realized it was coming in from a crack in the foundation. Waited for a 50-ish degree day, dug about three feet down to the bottom of the crack, filled that shit with liquid cement and covered it over with masonry sealant. BOOM. Bone fucking dry.

Flooring's going down this spring. Adds about 600 square feet to my house, which otherwise is like 1075 sq. ft. So that's huge.

Before I owned a house I'd never done a fucking thing. Swung a hammer, dug a hole, nothing. Now I'm spending every last fucking dime at the hardware store. I have no idea who I am anymore, but I'm actually kind of psyched on it.

This rules and is almost what I’m expecting to happen with me, or at least I hope so. I wanna learn handy shit on the fly
Concealer

Postby Luke's Replacement » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:28 pm

Luke's Replacement

Postby skeephop » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:46 pm

Luke's Replacement wrote:6 months worth of busting my ass:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZHUFzYgE3y ... y=mdkinlin

Looks amazing
skeephop
hosebeast jr.

Postby Sarahohio » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:53 pm

backyard is awesome!
Sarahohio
has lots of friends

Postby 3 1/2 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:05 pm

Currently a condo owner and thinking about buying a house in the next two/theee years. Being able to do whatever you want sounds great, but having to keep up with maintenance and pay for anything that goes wrong sounds like a pain in the ass.
3 1/2
Emma’s Gloves Superfan

Postby RealVileBeta » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:18 pm

i think i'll rent for the rest of my life, love the fact the landlord can fix anything and i get to live in places i could never afford to buy :)
RealVileBeta

Postby Sarahohio » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:23 pm

I have a window in one of my showers that looks into a closet (an addition was put on) and the window ledge is all rotted out. No idea how much that is going to cost me to fix. not looking forward to it. I currently have plastic taped over the whole thing :(
Sarahohio
has lots of friends

Postby oldorder » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:56 pm

Out of curiosity what % did you have down and how much were your closing costs? I think it's a possibility in about a year probably but there's a lot of job uncertainty at the moment that's putting all major plans on hold and just planning to hoard money for the time being.
oldorder
would rather die than not eat Taco Bell

Postby Concealer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:00 pm

oldorder wrote:Out of curiosity what % did you have down and how much were your closing costs? I think it's a possibility in about a year probably but there's a lot of job uncertainty at the moment that's putting all major plans on hold and just planning to hoard money for the time being.

I’m putting 3.5% down for the FHA loan. We’re doing 230k with 10k seller assist. Closing costs were like 13k. So minus the seller assist of 10k (13-10=3) plus the 3.5% (8k-ish) it’s like 11.5k down up front. Estimated monthly payment of like 1600 including taxes, homeowners insurance, etc.
Concealer

Postby b andrus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:02 pm

How much will PMI be on that amount?
b andrus
barely passed library school

Postby Sarahohio » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:19 pm

I put 2,000 down on my house. 880 a month. my house was 109,000 though.
Sarahohio
has lots of friends

Postby ernest787 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:26 pm

we built a huge concrete patio off the back of our house. It's like 25' by 25'. Did the hipster thing and strung some lights across it, and then built a bench thats against the garage wall. It's a super chill spot to have people over for bbqs and such.

We also had a huge branch fall on our power line about 2 years ago. That in turn ripped the box off the house. ended up having an electrician come and basically redid the entire electrical in the house. Our home was built in '59 and the electric was way out of date. So now we have a new breaker box and also added a whole home surger protector and power conditioner on the house as well.

Next project is to turn the attached garage into some form of movie theater or media room.
ernest787

Postby oldorder » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Sarahohio wrote:I put 2,000 down on my house. 880 a month. my house was 109,000 though.

That's why I'm trying to get a fully telecommuting job. The average home price in the city limits is around half a mil now, and I'm not stoked on the idea of living in the burbs. Definitely down to go somewhere smaller and be able to live larger.
oldorder
would rather die than not eat Taco Bell

Postby Sarahohio » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:36 pm

oldorder wrote:
Sarahohio wrote:I put 2,000 down on my house. 880 a month. my house was 109,000 though.

That's why I'm trying to get a fully telecommuting job. The average home price in the city limits is around half a mil now, and I'm not stoked on the idea of living in the burbs. Definitely down to go somewhere smaller and be able to live larger.

yeah. I live in the city of Columbus so it actually makes my house cheaper since the schools are such shit. My house is just under 2,000sqft and would easily be doubled in price if it was in a suburb with a nice school district. I don't plan on having kids, just my fur babies so it works out for me
Sarahohio
has lots of friends

Postby RealVileBeta » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:38 pm

you can get a mortgage on a house for 2000?
RealVileBeta

Postby Sarahohio » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:56 pm

I had average-good credit. I only needed to put down 2,000 on my FHA loan. I was going to do 4,000 but it would've only made a $1.50 different in my monthly payment. I said fuck it
Sarahohio
has lots of friends

Postby x43x » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:07 pm

Signed a contract for our second home purchase. Should be done in June. In a few weeks we are getting a storage unit to move stuff out of our condo to sell. Very happy to get a house finally!
x43x

Postby Luke's Replacement » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:43 pm

We had good credit when we were going through the mortgage application process, so everything worked out pretty well for us with just a conventional loan. FHA can be pretty strict when it comes to a lot of the underwriting and home inspection, so that was just one less thing to worry about. 5% down was about $20k, closing costs were ~$7k. PMI rate was about .4% on a $369k loan, so roughly $123 a month.

Ours is a wee little starter home, too. That's the cost of doing business in Metro Boston in 2017 and beyond. Fucking lunacy, but it appraised for more than what we paid... and it's definitely appreciated in this shitshow of a market, so hey, fuck it.

Honestly, if you don't see a place you love and absolutely have to have, I would probably wait until interest rates come up a bit and start reigning in home prices. Asking prices right now are fucking absurd, and even in this area we're seeing houses sitting for weeks or even months. It's like everyone knows this is the tip top of the market, and buyers are super wary of it.
Luke's Replacement

Postby Pottymouth » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:47 am

RealVileBeta wrote:you can get a mortgage on a house for 2000?

If you're a veteran you can receive money back while getting a mortgage.
Pottymouth

Postby UnholyWarcry » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:19 am

Pottymouth wrote:

My wife and I didn't put anything down on our house, not even closing costs and neither of us are vets. All we had to do was put 1,000 in as collateral saying we weren't gonna back out of the sale and we got that back at closing.
Last edited by UnholyWarcry on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
UnholyWarcry

Postby foggy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 am

Bought a brand new house in Richmond this past summer. Just got my refund so I'm funneling most of that into a nice fence for the backyard. Going to put it up myself with help from my father, I can't wait for spring and summer to arrive.
foggy

Postby Pottymouth » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:35 am

UnholyWarcry wrote:
Pottymouth wrote:

My wife and I didn't put anything down on our house, not even closing costs and neither of us are vets. All we had to do was put 1,000 in as collateral saying we weren't gonna back out of the sale and we got that back at closing.

Did you do a bond loan?
Pottymouth

Postby Kenny Fury » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:37 am

I bought a condo in Maryland for like 40k. Biding time by doing cheap projects to keep it livable until I have to truly update the appliances and cabinetry and stuff to flip it. YouTube teaches you everything. I learned to tile, install counter tops and sinks, washers and dryers, patch drywall, cut molding and trim, put down laminate flooring, pour concrete, all that shit by just obsessively pouring over the internet. People always like my condo because it is painted sage green and I have 3 different dark brown wood pallet walls. It looks like a cabin inside.
Kenny Fury

Postby iamnogood_ » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:39 am

when i started rebuilding my house, any walls i didn't tear down to studs, i spraypainted all kinds of stupid hocus pocus shit before i covered it over with new wallboard. there's all kinds of eyes and triangles and bullshit runes i googled
iamnogood_

Postby gman EB » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:46 am

Luke's Replacement wrote:6 months worth of busting my ass:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZHUFzYgE3y ... y=mdkinlin

What's your secret? I can't get one blade of grass to grow.
gman EB

Postby UnholyWarcry » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:46 am

Pottymouth wrote:
UnholyWarcry wrote:
Pottymouth wrote:

Did you do a bond loan?

USDA loan. We lucked out on the closing costs because the women that lived there were having a new house built and needed the money ASAP as possible.
UnholyWarcry

Postby x43x » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:03 am

UnholyWarcry wrote:
Pottymouth wrote:
UnholyWarcry wrote:
Pottymouth wrote:

Did you do a bond loan?

USDA loan. We lucked out on the closing costs because the women that lived there were having a new house built and needed the money ASAP as possible.

I wish. We are going to owe $115K at closing and thats only 15% + closing costs. The Seattle market is insane.
x43x

Postby CANT RELATE » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:07 am

I've only really just started changing shit around in the house I bought in August. It's almost brand new so not a whole lot really needs done. Slowly painting my way through the rooms. Once it warms up a little I want to replace all the shrubs in my front yard. I put up Phillips Hue smart lights throughout the living room. They're pretty cool, unlimited color and dimming options. Little pricey for a full set up but hopefully I don't have to replace any for a long time and theyre LED so they use next to nothing for electricity. Put in a doorbell camera so its nice knowing I have a package waiting I can rush home to get it out of sight. It's a fairly nice neighborhood but decided on an alarm system anyways which I like more than I thought I would. I can control all of them through my phone.
CANT RELATE

Postby Pottymouth » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:23 am

UnholyWarcry wrote:
Pottymouth wrote:
UnholyWarcry wrote:
Pottymouth wrote:

Did you do a bond loan?

Nice. USDA loans are a great deal, but can be kind of a pain in the ass with the income eligibility.
Pottymouth

Postby x43x » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:29 am

CANT RELATE wrote:I've only really just started changing shit around in the house I bought in August. It's almost brand new so not a whole lot really needs done. Slowly painting my way through the rooms. Once it warms up a little I want to replace all the shrubs in my front yard. I put up Phillips Hue smart lights throughout the living room. They're pretty cool, unlimited color and dimming options. Little pricey for a full set up but hopefully I don't have to replace any for a long time and theyre LED so they use next to nothing for electricity. Put in a doorbell camera so its nice knowing I have a package waiting I can rush home to get it out of sight. It's a fairly nice neighborhood but decided on an alarm system anyways which I like more than I thought I would. I can control all of them through my phone.

Did you get the Ring doorbell? Probably going to get one of those plus a couple of the their battery powered cams for the back porch and garage.
x43x

Postby CANT RELATE » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:35 am

Yeah its the ring. I only have the doorbell right now but planning on putting more in those spots as well. I like it.
CANT RELATE

Postby Kenny Fury » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:56 am

I think I am going to take down the pallet walls fairly soon which is gonna be an insane bitch. To put them up, I built a like a false wall veneer over the drywall, where I anchored giant sheets of plywood and drove the pallet wood in with a nail gun. So I have to pry them all off, and then unscrew the plywood, and then un-anchor the studs. Then patch some holes and reset the outlets that I moved out to fit. And then rehang and anchor all the heavy shit like my television back onto the drywall which sucks because the pallet wall makes it so easy to hold heavier things without worrying about anything falling. But I really wanna white everything out and eventually add recessed lighting, because I only have an overhead light in the ceiling fan in the dining room and in the kitchen.

I know I have to replace a window sill where the wood deteriorated so I have to move a bed that I built to stay in place permanently. The bed is this insane king size structure with storage underneath and a dog kennel and stairs and stuff, so I don't want to break it up and rebuild something else because I'll miss the storage.

Also, while everything being fresh and white sounds nice, I HATE painting so so so so much and while I have become adept at speed painting the entire place and white would be very easy, I don't know that I want to put myself through it.
Kenny Fury

Postby NALYD. » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:13 am

Reading this thread just reminds me I gotta get out of the city. Property here has been so wild the last 5 years it's unreal. Just on my block there have been 5 teardowns with $900k-$1.4 mil homes built in their places. A 900sf condo is $180k-$250k+, and that's not even in the hot neighborhoods. With interest rates sure to go up, and such low inventory it's looking less and less likely I'll stop renting soon.
NALYD.

Postby x43x » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:48 am

Median in Seattle is currently $757K and $881K in Bellevue. We currently live 7 miles from the southern boarder of Seattle and should be able to sell our 1000 sq ft condo for $270K. We are moving even further south but are getting a new construction/custom home for under Seattle median.

And yes, interest rates are already on the rise. We got a 6-month lock at 4.375 (with free step-down at 2-months) in January, but rates are already up to 4.5%. Feds could raise rates soon which will have an interesting effect on the market.
x43x

Postby blackhawks#1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:51 am

Kenny Fury wrote:I bought a condo in Maryland for like 40k. Biding time by doing cheap projects to keep it livable until I have to truly update the appliances and cabinetry and stuff to flip it. YouTube teaches you everything. I learned to tile, install counter tops and sinks, washers and dryers, patch drywall, cut molding and trim, put down laminate flooring, pour concrete, all that shit by just obsessively pouring over the internet. People always like my condo because it is painted sage green and I have 3 different dark brown wood pallet walls. It looks like a cabin inside.

can you post pics of this again? i remember what you renovated looking nice
blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby theb00box » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:59 am

Throw a starry night tapestry up on the walls
theb00box
joey haircuts

Next