so california is burning right now

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby versace pirate » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:45 am

not sure if i missed the thread but this shit is gnarly
versace pirate

Postby judge smails » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:22 am

That’s fuckin nuts
judge smails

Postby WheresTheGabagool » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:57 am

WheresTheGabagool
Basically Chalie

Postby c_floyd II » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:05 am

Yeah we know
c_floyd II

Postby Fester » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:26 am

That sucks. California shouldn't burn. I hope would a huge storm puts it out but it's CA not FL.

:/
Fester

Postby Fester » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:27 am

This makes me sad and worries me
Fester

Postby Apex Satanist » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:35 am

judge smails wrote:That’s fuckin nuts
Apex Satanist

Postby Bizzle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:57 am

Chinese Hoax.

For real though, be safe if you're out there.
Bizzle

Postby captainsunshine » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:29 am

interesting video that shows the devastation in my town from last month's fires. the fires down south looked really bad yesterday. california cant catch a break right now with these fires
captainsunshine
Frasier Superfan

Postby silence » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:51 am

silence

Postby LanceUppercut » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:01 pm

I was under the impression it was supposed to sink?
LanceUppercut
Case of Mistaken Identity

Postby jds » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:15 pm

We went through similar in Napa Valley in October, was seriously the most stressful week on my fucking life. However, I was lucky, aside from money spent on hotel rooms away for my family and some anxiety, we were spared any issue. I had employees and co workers who lost everything.
jds

Postby Adonis » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:27 pm

the worst ive had to deal with so far is ash all over my car, some people have lost homes, horses, vehicles. not sure of any deaths yet but its pretty gnarly. Imagine losing your home this close to christmas too, sucks.
Adonis

Postby xNameHatex » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:38 pm

I cleaned my toilet last weekend, and now there is a layer of black grime all over it.
xNameHatex

Postby captainsunshine » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:39 pm

jds wrote:We went through similar in Napa Valley in October, was seriously the most stressful week on my fucking life. However, I was lucky, aside from money spent on hotel rooms away for my family and some anxiety, we were spared any issue. I had employees and co workers who lost everything.

where abouts you from? im santa rosa
captainsunshine
Frasier Superfan

Postby ooGracie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:26 pm

Adonis wrote:the worst ive had to deal with so far is ash all over my car, some people have lost homes, horses, vehicles. not sure of any deaths yet but its pretty gnarly. Imagine losing your home this close to christmas too, sucks.

at least 2 related deaths so far.
ooGracie
made out with Jesse Camp

Postby Que Sera Sera » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Do yourself a favor and don't look at the photos of the 30 horses. Horrible
Que Sera Sera

Postby jds » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:43 pm

captainsunshine wrote:
jds wrote:We went through similar in Napa Valley in October, was seriously the most stressful week on my fucking life. However, I was lucky, aside from money spent on hotel rooms away for my family and some anxiety, we were spared any issue. I had employees and co workers who lost everything.

I live in St. Helena, just south of Calistoga and north of Napa. Closest the fire got to my place was 6 miles. Now that seems far, but when you see that ridge burning in the middle of the night.... DO NOT WANT
jds

Postby Interlewd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:45 pm

I live in the middle of all 3 fires and it’s been looking insane these past few days. A few of my coworkers stayed behind to watch their homes and luckily none of them were lost.
Interlewd

Postby brah_life » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:12 pm

This is awful- sending positive thoughts and hopes that there's the least amount of collateral damage possible. Can't imagine losing your home and literally everything you own- complete nightmare. Stay safe, Cali b9'ers.
brah_life
Spent $40 on a brick because hypebeast said it's cool

Postby I.Saved.Latin. » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:34 pm

Bad Religion predicted this over 10 years ago.
wow.
I.Saved.Latin.

Postby lala fuck you » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:34 pm

Que Sera Sera wrote:Do yourself a favor and don't look at the photos of the 30 horses. Horrible

Whoa did they burn alive ?
lala fuck you

Postby ooGracie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:44 pm

I live at the edge of the Topanga State Park.

If this shit jumps the 405 we are fucked.

ooGracie
made out with Jesse Camp

Postby Interlewd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:56 pm

Fuck I just got a text that it’s reached my town now. Currently being contained
Edit: it’s been put out
Last edited by Interlewd on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interlewd

Postby turkitron » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Just moved from Pomona back east. Good luck to the socal posters. The fire that everyone is talking about is the skirball fire right (the one close to the 405 like Gracie said)? Not the bigger one near ventura?
turkitron

Postby ooGracie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:14 pm

I am in most danger from the Skirball fire (though I have my nieces right now who are evacuated from the Ventura fire).

I think it's highly unlikely that I will have to evacuate.
ooGracie
made out with Jesse Camp

Postby Interlewd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:26 pm

lala fuck you wrote:
Que Sera Sera wrote:Do yourself a favor and don't look at the photos of the 30 horses. Horrible

Yeah in their stalls :smt009
Interlewd

Postby spsp » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:28 pm

Interlewd wrote:
lala fuck you wrote:

aw man :smt010
spsp

Postby antipasto » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:22 am

A fire sprang up by me yesterday, a lot of people I know have had to evacuate but I'm hopefully alright where I'm at
antipasto

Postby ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:54 am

Interlewd wrote:
lala fuck you wrote:

Yeah this shit is heartbreaking. So many animals fleeing and a lot of them aren't making it.
ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe
In the Valley of the Dolls

Postby parock » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:33 am

Debating with friends in text message about the horses. I don't get it.
The only defense is that I'm not a wild fire expert and not dealing with this issue directly.
That said, if there is a fire within 30 miles of me, with nothing in between my ranch and the fire other than dry burnable land, i'm not crossing my fingers and saying a prayer and laying my head down at night hoping for the best.

I'm working on an evacuation plan for the horses and if there is no plan that suffices, I'm letting those horses go as soon as I'm getting in my truck to leave. Insurance will cover natural disasters and I really doubt at that would effect the insurance payout.
parock

Postby ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:39 am

parock wrote:Debating with friends in text message about the horses. I don't get it.
The only defense is that I'm not a wild fire expert and not dealing with this issue directly.
That said, if there is a fire within 30 miles of me, with nothing in between my ranch and the fire other than dry burnable land, i'm not crossing my fingers and saying a prayer and laying my head down at night hoping for the best.

I'm working on an evacuation plan for the horses and if there is no plan that suffices, I'm letting those horses go as soon as I'm getting in my truck to leave. Insurance will cover natural disasters and I really doubt at that would effect the insurance payout.

This is a very legit point. I honestly have no idea. One Instagram account I follow rushed to the scene at a ranch, organized about 10 horse trailers (she has a shit load of followers on IG because it's a "celebrity animal" account, so she rallied some people) and saved a lot of the horses and tended to the burns on others. Most of the stories I read had people just releasing the horses since at least they have a fucking chance at that point. Horses burning alive without even if a chance to make it is brutal.
ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe
In the Valley of the Dolls

Postby captainsunshine » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:54 am

jds wrote:
captainsunshine wrote:

I live in St. Helena, just south of Calistoga and north of Napa. Closest the fire got to my place was 6 miles. Now that seems far, but when you see that ridge burning in the middle of the night.... DO NOT WANT

i was just in st helena for a dr appt last week haha. im super jealous, i love that little city and would be very stoked to live there. i live in the section of santa rosa that was completely unaffected (the southwest part) but I also had coworkers and friends lose their houses. our office/yard is not terribly far from where everything was going down though and lost power for a full week so I just took my family down to the east bay because we didn't want to take chances. part of the reason to leave was because the air quality but that ended up being a joke since it didn't matter where you went in the bay, the air was awful everywhere for that week
captainsunshine
Frasier Superfan

Postby ooGracie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:45 am

In re: the horses, I saw one particular story on the news that said 50 horses of hers were lost (could possibly be the same family, and they overestimated initially), and she said they had 0 time to escape, and barely made it out of the house with their family and dog and cat, and just did not have any time to help the horses.

That being said, there was also a story of bystanders rushing in to bring the horses to safety (could be different horses, I have no idea), in which case, where tf were the owners there?
ooGracie
made out with Jesse Camp

Postby jds » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:35 am

captainsunshine wrote:
jds wrote:
captainsunshine wrote:

i was just in st helena for a dr appt last week haha. im super jealous, i love that little city and would be very stoked to live there. i live in the section of santa rosa that was completely unaffected (the southwest part) but I also had coworkers and friends lose their houses. our office/yard is not terribly far from where everything was going down though and lost power for a full week so I just took my family down to the east bay because we didn't want to take chances. part of the reason to leave was because the air quality but that ended up being a joke since it didn't matter where you went in the bay, the air was awful everywhere for that week

I live and work in St Helena. The air quality was the main reason I sent my family to Sac for the week. I had a responsibility to my work place to stay and make sure everything was good there. I think we just had our final After Action meeting on Tuesday, those were starting to get old.
jds

Postby captainsunshine » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:37 am

what line of work are you in?
captainsunshine
Frasier Superfan

Postby jds » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:41 am

captainsunshine wrote:what line of work are you in?

I've worked in Higher education administration for the past 9 years. In cali for 2
jds

Postby Scumontherun » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:26 pm

So sad. Can't imagine this kind of devastation especially so close to the holiday.
Scumontherun

Postby bogusmagicians » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:39 pm

its been 2 months and i still feel on edge a little bit. know at least 10 people, including my parents, that lost their house and one that lost his life. seeing the fire in so cal the other day made me so emotional. this shit is so crazy.
bogusmagicians

Postby jds » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:04 pm

bogusmagicians wrote:

its been 2 months and i still feel on edge a little bit. know at least 10 people, including my parents, that lost their house and one that lost his life. seeing the fire in so cal the other day made me so emotional. this shit is so crazy.

I went to the fire benefit that Metallica played and felt all sorts of fucked when they were showing the images and video. I drove down Mark West Spring Rd right after they opened up... Judas Priest seeing that, devestating.
jds

Postby SchlongConnery » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:00 pm

My hometown (Fallbrook) is on fire right now and my instagram is filled with pictures of peoples parents homes burned down, sad shit. My parents are still there but on the opposite side of town so they're good.
SchlongConnery

Postby RealVileBeta » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:18 pm

ooGracie wrote:In re: the horses, I saw one particular story on the news that said 50 horses of hers were lost (could possibly be the same family, and they overestimated initially), and she said they had 0 time to escape, and barely made it out of the house with their family and dog and cat, and just did not have any time to help the horses.

That being said, there was also a story of bystanders rushing in to bring the horses to safety (could be different horses, I have no idea), in which case, where tf were the owners there?

what does that mean? she had barely anytime to escape? there's been fires burning for about 6 months now right? total laziness on their part
RealVileBeta

Postby countscashaccurately » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Finding a place for a few or even 6 horses is one thing. Finding places for 50 horses is another. I'm sure they intended to let them out if the fire came their way, but people under-estimate how fast fire can move. 12 mph means a fire that is 4 miles away is at your door in 20 minutes. With 50+ mph winds, fire sheets. It's like a sea of fire at your feet.

Burned alive seems like a misnomer. Pretty much guaranteed all horses died of smoke inhalation before they were burned. It's how fire kills. It's fucking awful either way.

Leave earlier rather than later. Stay safe.
countscashaccurately

Postby parock » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:40 pm

countscashaccurately wrote:Finding a place for a few or even 6 horses is one thing. Finding places for 50 horses is another. I'm sure they intended to let them out if the fire came their way, but people under-estimate how fast fire can move. 12 mph means a fire that is 4 miles away is at your door in 20 minutes. With 50+ mph winds, fire sheets. It's like a sea of fire at your feet.

Burned alive seems like a misnomer. Pretty much guaranteed all horses died of smoke inhalation before they were burned. It's how fire kills. It's fucking awful either way.

Leave earlier rather than later. Stay safe.

I totally get what you are saying about the under-estimate. I do. My issue is still the preparedness/non planning part. According to the article they were woken up by firefighters at like 3 or 4 am. Obviously they were sleeping. Let's say that fire was burning the night before. If there is nothing between my house/property and the fire except, you know, dry burnable California land, I'm probably not just saying my prayers and lying my head down with my fingers crossed. I'm either having someone keep watch or if that fire is within 25 miles, we are evacuating. At the very least, someone keeping watch can see the flames when they are a couple miles away. You go around, let the horses out, get in your prepacked vehicle and fucking skedaddle.

I know, this is me judging from thousands of miles away, I just don't get it man.
parock

Postby UrbanSavage » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:55 pm

SchlongConnery wrote:My hometown (Fallbrook) is on fire right now and my instagram is filled with pictures of peoples parents homes burned down, sad shit. My parents are still there but on the opposite side of town so they're good.

I'm in Oceanside in a voluntary evacuation area. For a day or so, the mandatory evacuation area was just down the street. It's never gotten that close before. Hearing them say it could burn all the way through to the coast was crazy.
UrbanSavage

Postby RealVileBeta » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:01 pm

They have the money to be able to move those horses a couple of days before the fire reaches them, whether it was 100% certain to reach them or not is besides the point
RealVileBeta