post things/hobbies you used to be REALLY into but now DGAF

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Booty Telegram » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:07 am

198d__ wrote:I also don't care about going to shows or having any large portion of my life dedicated to the music scene. People who are in their mid-twenties and still caring about their presence in Hardcore are fucking sad and have no long term life goals. I seriously couldn't care less anymore and I only surround myself with my family and closest friends and I am happier because of it.

Bashes hardcore on a hardcore message board and is now a Marxist; hates hipsters :smt005
User avatar
Booty Telegram
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:05 am
Location: in the telegraph, bitch

Postby macho insecurity » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:19 am

198d__ wrote:The older I get, the less tolerance I have for anything "hipster," as douchey as that sounds. Last weekend my friend took me and another buddy to a bar where the theme was vintage arcade games. And if that doesn't make you roll your eyes, the big screen at the bar was playing a documentary about weed. Like, what's wrong with just putting on the Pistons game like a normal fucking bar? Everyone there was white and had awful facial hair. I sat outside just to get away from the noise.

I also don't care about going to shows or having any large portion of my life dedicated to the music scene. People who are in their mid-twenties and still caring about their presence in Hardcore are fucking sad and have no long term life goals. I seriously couldn't care less anymore and I only surround myself with my family and closest friends and I am happier because of it.

I watched the latest season of that show "easy" and I almost had to turn it off like 20 times because the liberal/I wanna do my passion as a job adventurist shit that makes my blood boil. I know it's fiction but it's an accurate representation of the type of people I've grown to loathe. Grow the fuck up and get a boring job like everyone else. Nothing is more disgusting than people trying to extend their youth.

Sorry for this dumb rant.

Also: fuck new-age Mexican restaurants who charge for chips and salsa.

you seem like an absolute joy to be around. i hope every mexican restaurant charges you double for chips and salsa, you marxist cosplayer.
User avatar
macho insecurity
sucked his dad's dick for free
 
Posts: 29455
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:46 pm
Location: Calgary, AB

Postby taylorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:35 am

Playing in a band. Way too difficult to find that equilibrium of self-motivated people and non-flakes who want to actually create a good product on stage and take it as far as they can, rather than just play coffee shops in a college town and break up in 6 months when guys just quit showing up to practice.

“Doing my part” for the scene; I’ve opened venues, booked shows, made fliers, designed websites and played/filled in for bands for 15+ years. Most people only give a shit about you if you can do something for them.

Drinking. Only started a few years ago, already pretty much burned out on it. And I don’t do drugs, so the next logical evolution is being a normie who only drinks sparingly/on special occasions.

School. I was obsessed with college and furthering my education. One year into grad school coursework and I was doing the bare minimum and dreaded each semester, exam, etc. Completely lost the passion for it.
User avatar
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!
 
Posts: 18538
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:01 am
Location: Golden Corral's chocolate waterfall

Postby guttertech » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:06 am

Definitely video games. New stuff doesn't interest me at all, but even when I try and go back to old favorites I get bored after like 30 minutes. I got into Pathologic recently for a couple days but then lost interest.

I used to be a diehard for seeking out new and old death metal, wizard rap, hardcore, etc but I definitely don't care too much about that shit anymore. I feel like as far as "extreme music" goes, I'm covered with my favorites and I'll occasionally stumble upon something (like Unsane as of late) that stands out. Collecting physical media kind of goes along with that I guess. Don't want piles of CDs and records around anymore.
User avatar
guttertech
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:34 pm
Location: PA

Postby Pottymouth » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:10 am

guttertech wrote: Collecting physical media kind of goes along with that I guess. Don't want piles of CDs and records around anymore.


May you shed your earthly possessions and frolic naked through the forest of wisdom for eternity.

Namaste.
User avatar
Pottymouth
 
Posts: 1843
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:06 am
Location: Gorgeous

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:14 am

I'm too lazy to upload and eBay all my records. I've got basically everything emo from the 90's - 2001 and haven't touched em in months.

They take up too much space and was an expensive and dumb hobby.
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie
 
Posts: 3445
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:58 am

Postby guttertech » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:15 am

Bitch you don't know my horoscope.
User avatar
guttertech
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:34 pm
Location: PA

Postby Pottymouth » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:18 am

Amber is the color of your energy.
User avatar
Pottymouth
 
Posts: 1843
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:06 am
Location: Gorgeous

Postby trentxedge » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:56 am

198d__ wrote:The older I get, the less tolerance I have for anything "hipster," as douchey as that sounds. Last weekend my friend took me and another buddy to a bar where the theme was vintage arcade games. And if that doesn't make you roll your eyes, the big screen at the bar was playing a documentary about weed. Like, what's wrong with just putting on the Pistons game like a normal fucking bar? Everyone there was white and had awful facial hair. I sat outside just to get away from the noise.

I also don't care about going to shows or having any large portion of my life dedicated to the music scene. People who are in their mid-twenties and still caring about their presence in Hardcore are fucking sad and have no long term life goals. I seriously couldn't care less anymore and I only surround myself with my family and closest friends and I am happier because of it.

I watched the latest season of that show "easy" and I almost had to turn it off like 20 times because the liberal/I wanna do my passion as a job adventurist shit that makes my blood boil. I know it's fiction but it's an accurate representation of the type of people I've grown to loathe. Grow the fuck up and get a boring job like everyone else. Nothing is more disgusting than people trying to extend their youth.

Sorry for this dumb rant.

Also: fuck new-age Mexican restaurants who charge for chips and salsa.


I kinda feel the music scene one, I still go to shows very frequently but my focus is completely on the music and not the cliques/politics/drama.

Sent from my SM-S820L using TheB9 mobile app
User avatar
trentxedge
 
Posts: 2497
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 pm
Location: Lansing, MI

Postby Worship » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:57 am

Tru truuuu
User avatar
Worship
9/11 truther
 
Posts: 61077
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:04 pm
Location: Prince International Seduction 747

Postby krujones » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:07 am

I could not give a fuck about any "scene'
User avatar
krujones
BIG WANG THEORY
 
Posts: 66157
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:00 am
Location: NY

Postby trentxedge » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:09 am

198d__ wrote:I was also straight edge for 7 years and I now think being it is the silliest thing in the world. Like, my friends who are edge and pushing 30...why? I am not being condescending. I genuinely want to understand why people feel it necessary to X up past the age of 22.


I'm 27 and I x'd up for a judge show a month ago, it was just something that me and my few friends thought would be fun and nothing deeper than that.

Sent from my SM-S820L using TheB9 mobile app
User avatar
trentxedge
 
Posts: 2497
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 pm
Location: Lansing, MI

Postby 198d__ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:15 am

Booty Telegram wrote:
198d__ wrote:I also don't care about going to shows or having any large portion of my life dedicated to the music scene. People who are in their mid-twenties and still caring about their presence in Hardcore are fucking sad and have no long term life goals. I seriously couldn't care less anymore and I only surround myself with my family and closest friends and I am happier because of it.

Bashes hardcore on a hardcore message board and is now a Marxist; hates hipsters :smt005

Okay, the thread we are posting in is about things you used to be into but are no longer. It's not like I just popped off out of nowhere. I don't hate the music, and I enjoy a lot of people I've met through it, but I no longer care about it being a major part of my identity like I did when I was younger. If you used an ounce of critical thinking you wouldn't haven't posted that reply.

As far as staight edge goes, does it affect me personally? No. Do I bother my friends who are straight edge? No. But it fit the theme of the thread and if I am being honest, I don't understand why people need a title for their sobriety when they're an adult. Given the demographic of the board it's not strange for something like this to come out. I don't have a personal beef with straight edge people, I just no longer understand it.
User avatar
198d__
Marxist Cosplayer
 
Posts: 5412
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Detroit

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:19 am

Honest question: is it strange for us to find the concept of self identity based on things that you don't do a little wacky? Not being an asshole, not trying to shit on people with different interests/lifestyle choices either. That was the thing about straight edge that I decided was weird, and eventually broke edge because it didn't make sense to me and I didn't care about it anymore.

but anyway, just asking. weed rules. And I am still close friends with a few of those dipshits who I met because it doesn't matter what they do with their lives, doesn't affect our person-to-person interactions.
User avatar
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?
 
Posts: 87598
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:00 am
Location: And then you have Kerry King who’s like ‘You see? You see these tribal tattoos?

Postby 198d__ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:21 am

fred durst wrote:Honest question: is it strange for us to find the concept of self identity based on things that you don't do a little wacky? Not being an asshole, not trying to shit on people with different interests/lifestyle choices either. That was the thing about straight edge that I decided was weird, and eventually broke edge because it didn't make sense to me and I didn't care about it anymore.

but anyway, just asking. weed rules. And I am still close friends with a few of those dipshits who I met because it doesn't matter what they do with their lives, doesn't affect our person-to-person interactions.

I find it strange because there's like no direct activism attached to straight edge. It's literally just abstaining from substance. No tangible cause, no direct action. It's not like veganism where the goal is clearly defined. I just don't....get it?
User avatar
198d__
Marxist Cosplayer
 
Posts: 5412
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Detroit

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:23 am

I really don't want to sound like I'm just bashing being straight edge. Some people have had life experiences that have hardlined them to a view that they don't need it and they want to live the best life they can. If they need it, right on.

Us burnouts are fucking nerds too, so Idk. Live your life.
User avatar
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?
 
Posts: 87598
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:00 am
Location: And then you have Kerry King who’s like ‘You see? You see these tribal tattoos?

Postby trentxedge » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:24 am

fred durst wrote:Honest question: is it strange for us to find the concept of self identity based on things that you don't do a little wacky? Not being an asshole, not trying to shit on people with different interests/lifestyle choices either. That was the thing about straight edge that I decided was weird, and eventually broke edge because it didn't make sense to me and I didn't care about it anymore.

but anyway, just asking. weed rules. And I am still close friends with a few of those dipshits who I met because it doesn't matter what they do with their lives, doesn't affect our person-to-person interactions.


Human society is based around identity

Sent from my SM-S820L using TheB9 mobile app
User avatar
trentxedge
 
Posts: 2497
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 pm
Location: Lansing, MI

Postby taylorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:25 am

trentxedge wrote:
198d__ wrote:I was also straight edge for 7 years and I now think being it is the silliest thing in the world. Like, my friends who are edge and pushing 30...why? I am not being condescending. I genuinely want to understand why people feel it necessary to X up past the age of 22.


I'm 27 and I x'd up for a judge show a month ago, it was just something that me and my few friends thought would be fun and nothing deeper than that.

Sent from my SM-S820L using TheB9 mobile app

So did drawing those X's end up being as fun as it sounds?
User avatar
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!
 
Posts: 18538
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:01 am
Location: Golden Corral's chocolate waterfall

Postby taylorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:27 am

fred durst wrote:Honest question: is it strange for us to find the concept of self identity based on things that you don't do a little wacky? Not being an asshole, not trying to shit on people with different interests/lifestyle choices either. That was the thing about straight edge that I decided was weird, and eventually broke edge because it didn't make sense to me and I didn't care about it anymore.

but anyway, just asking. weed rules. And I am still close friends with a few of those dipshits who I met because it doesn't matter what they do with their lives, doesn't affect our person-to-person interactions.

This is where outspoken veganism cracks me up to no end. It's people basically saying that they've molded an entire persona around a dietary choice.
User avatar
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!
 
Posts: 18538
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:01 am
Location: Golden Corral's chocolate waterfall

Postby trentxedge » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:31 am

shithead wrote:
trentxedge wrote:
198d__ wrote:I was also straight edge for 7 years and I now think being it is the silliest thing in the world. Like, my friends who are edge and pushing 30...why? I am not being condescending. I genuinely want to understand why people feel it necessary to X up past the age of 22.


I'm 27 and I x'd up for a judge show a month ago, it was just something that me and my few friends thought would be fun and nothing deeper than that.

Sent from my SM-S820L using TheB9 mobile app

So did drawing those X's end up being as fun as it sounds?


It was and judge was great

Sent from my SM-S820L using TheB9 mobile app
User avatar
trentxedge
 
Posts: 2497
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 pm
Location: Lansing, MI

Postby nerd eater » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:32 am

shithead wrote:
fred durst wrote:Honest question: is it strange for us to find the concept of self identity based on things that you don't do a little wacky? Not being an asshole, not trying to shit on people with different interests/lifestyle choices either. That was the thing about straight edge that I decided was weird, and eventually broke edge because it didn't make sense to me and I didn't care about it anymore.

but anyway, just asking. weed rules. And I am still close friends with a few of those dipshits who I met because it doesn't matter what they do with their lives, doesn't affect our person-to-person interactions.

This is where outspoken veganism cracks me up to no end. It's people basically saying that they've molded an entire persona around a dietary choice.

Strictly speaking, it is more than diet.
User avatar
nerd eater
Skott's Friend
 
Posts: 29391
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:31 pm
Location: through the Spanish announcer's table

Postby taylorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:35 am

nerd eater wrote:
shithead wrote:
fred durst wrote:Honest question: is it strange for us to find the concept of self identity based on things that you don't do a little wacky? Not being an asshole, not trying to shit on people with different interests/lifestyle choices either. That was the thing about straight edge that I decided was weird, and eventually broke edge because it didn't make sense to me and I didn't care about it anymore.

but anyway, just asking. weed rules. And I am still close friends with a few of those dipshits who I met because it doesn't matter what they do with their lives, doesn't affect our person-to-person interactions.

This is where outspoken veganism cracks me up to no end. It's people basically saying that they've molded an entire persona around a dietary choice.

Strictly speaking, it is more than diet.

Not for a lot of people. It's only an ethical/political stance for the people who actually give a shit about that sort of thing and aren't just treating veganism like some new paleo diet they discovered on Pinterest.

Nevertheless, it still doesn't change the fact that if 60% of your conversations are about some great vegan pancakes you ate or the great vegan food you made last week, or the awesome vegan cafe you went to last month, you're probably super fucking boring.
User avatar
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!
 
Posts: 18538
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:01 am
Location: Golden Corral's chocolate waterfall

Postby krujones » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:40 am

fred durst wrote: Live your life.
User avatar
krujones
BIG WANG THEORY
 
Posts: 66157
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:00 am
Location: NY

Postby trentxedge » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:40 am

It's really ironic to me that a bunch of people who are complaining about "people needing labels" are the same people that are self identified sports fans etc, like how is wearing a sports team shirt/jersey really any different than a band shirt/vegan/straight edge shirt? You use labels as self identification, whether you realize it or not.

Sent from my SM-S820L using TheB9 mobile app
User avatar
trentxedge
 
Posts: 2497
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 pm
Location: Lansing, MI

Postby 198d__ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:43 am

Yeah, I give major props to people who are able to stick to veganism.
User avatar
198d__
Marxist Cosplayer
 
Posts: 5412
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Detroit

Postby 198d__ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:45 am

trentxedge wrote:It's really ironic to me that a bunch of people who are complaining about "people needing labels" are the same people that are self identified sports fans etc, like how is wearing a sports team shirt/jersey really any different than a band shirt/vegan/straight edge shirt? You use labels as self identification, whether you realize it or not.

Sent from my SM-S820L using TheB9 mobile app

You're my dog, dog. But with all due respect, I fail to see a connection here. I'm not denying that people will label themselves no matter what, I'm just arguing that I think straight edge is a strange label to give oneself.
User avatar
198d__
Marxist Cosplayer
 
Posts: 5412
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Detroit

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:45 am

trentxedge wrote:It's really ironic to me that a bunch of people who are complaining about "people needing labels" are the same people that are self identified sports fans etc, like how is wearing a sports team shirt/jersey really any different than a band shirt/vegan/straight edge shirt? You use labels as self identification, whether you realize it or not.

Sent from my SM-S820L using TheB9 mobile app


I think I was pretty straight forward and as unbiased as I could be, so I'm sorry if I made you feel some type of way by asking a question.
User avatar
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?
 
Posts: 87598
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:00 am
Location: And then you have Kerry King who’s like ‘You see? You see these tribal tattoos?

Postby nerd eater » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:47 am

shithead wrote:
nerd eater wrote:
shithead wrote:
fred durst wrote:Honest question: is it strange for us to find the concept of self identity based on things that you don't do a little wacky? Not being an asshole, not trying to shit on people with different interests/lifestyle choices either. That was the thing about straight edge that I decided was weird, and eventually broke edge because it didn't make sense to me and I didn't care about it anymore.

but anyway, just asking. weed rules. And I am still close friends with a few of those dipshits who I met because it doesn't matter what they do with their lives, doesn't affect our person-to-person interactions.

This is where outspoken veganism cracks me up to no end. It's people basically saying that they've molded an entire persona around a dietary choice.

Strictly speaking, it is more than diet.

Not for a lot of people. It's only an ethical/political stance for the people who actually give a shit about that sort of thing and aren't just treating veganism like some new paleo diet they discovered on Pinterest.

Nevertheless, it still doesn't change the fact that if 60% of your conversations are about some great vegan pancakes you ate or the great vegan food you made last week, or the awesome vegan cafe you went to last month, you're probably super fucking boring.

Agreed on the second paragraph.
User avatar
nerd eater
Skott's Friend
 
Posts: 29391
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:31 pm
Location: through the Spanish announcer's table

Postby taylorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:47 am

trentxedge wrote:It's really ironic to me that a bunch of people who are complaining about "people needing labels" are the same people that are self identified sports fans etc, like how is wearing a sports team shirt/jersey really any different than a band shirt/vegan/straight edge shirt? You use labels as self identification, whether you realize it or not.

Sent from my SM-S820L using TheB9 mobile app

Not all people who like or support a sports team opt to wear the team shirts and jerseys, so...
User avatar
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!
 
Posts: 18538
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:01 am
Location: Golden Corral's chocolate waterfall

Postby krujones » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:48 am

Jerseys are lame
User avatar
krujones
BIG WANG THEORY
 
Posts: 66157
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:00 am
Location: NY

Postby trentxedge » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:51 am

shithead wrote:
trentxedge wrote:It's really ironic to me that a bunch of people who are complaining about "people needing labels" are the same people that are self identified sports fans etc, like how is wearing a sports team shirt/jersey really any different than a band shirt/vegan/straight edge shirt? You use labels as self identification, whether you realize it or not.

Sent from my SM-S820L using TheB9 mobile app

Not all people who like or support a sports team opt to wear the team shirts and jerseys, so...


That was just an example, I actually know very few people who wear just pain clothing, it usually has some sort of graphic on it, whether it is a sport/team/beer/restaurant/place they like visiting.

Sent from my SM-S820L using TheB9 mobile app
User avatar
trentxedge
 
Posts: 2497
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 pm
Location: Lansing, MI

Postby trentxedge » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:56 am

198d__ wrote:
trentxedge wrote:It's really ironic to me that a bunch of people who are complaining about "people needing labels" are the same people that are self identified sports fans etc, like how is wearing a sports team shirt/jersey really any different than a band shirt/vegan/straight edge shirt? You use labels as self identification, whether you realize it or not.

Sent from my SM-S820L using TheB9 mobile app

You're my dog, dog. But with all due respect, I fail to see a connection here. I'm not denying that people will label themselves no matter what, I'm just arguing that I think straight edge is a strange label to give oneself.


And that's fine because at the end of the day it's an opinion, I still love ya.

Sent from my SM-S820L using TheB9 mobile app
User avatar
trentxedge
 
Posts: 2497
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 pm
Location: Lansing, MI

Postby taylorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:04 pm

I'm still not really seeing the comparison. It's being kinda willfully oblivious to act like most folks adopting a straight edge lifestyle don't go super fucking overboard with it right off the bat and then go one of three potential routes with it:

1) chill out, get a little older and don't make as big a stink about their "lifestyle" anymore
2) act really loud and "all about it" for a stretch of a couple years before fizzling out and breaking edge
3) continuing to be an old dude who boasts about "their edge" when nobody really asked in the first place

It doesn't help that the entire culture of hardcore/straight edge is rooted in dudes browbeating other dudes for not being "committed" enough, or not doing enough for their scene or whatever. It fosters a sort of constant pursuit of validation in the eyes of peers, whether it's through getting straight edge tattoos laughably early in their life (I used to hang out with a girl who had them before she was 20 years old... broke edge before she was 22) or whatever.

Again, to each their own. I'm just bored at work and my username filter is shithead.
User avatar
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!
 
Posts: 18538
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:01 am
Location: Golden Corral's chocolate waterfall

Postby gold soundz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:12 pm

-NFL/NHL/MLB: I used to pride myself on only missing a handful of televised Steelers games. Tried to watch the game last night and felt physically sick watching 2 players get carted off the field unable to move their legs after dirty hits. ugh.

-Fixing up old bikes
-Playing guitar
Last edited by gold soundz on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
gold soundz
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:55 am
Location: Portland, OR

Postby trentxedge » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:12 pm

shithead wrote:I'm still not really seeing the comparison. It's being kinda willfully oblivious to act like most folks adopting a straight edge lifestyle don't go super fucking overboard with it right off the bat and then go one of three potential routes with it:

1) chill out, get a little older and don't make as big a stink about their "lifestyle" anymore
2) act really loud and "all about it" for a stretch of a couple years before fizzling out and breaking edge
3) continuing to be an old dude who boasts about "their edge" when nobody really asked in the first place

It doesn't help that the entire culture of hardcore/straight edge is rooted in dudes browbeating other dudes for not being "committed" enough, or not doing enough for their scene or whatever. It fosters a sort of constant pursuit of validation in the eyes of peers, whether it's through getting straight edge tattoos laughably early in their life (I used to hang out with a girl who had them before she was 20 years old... broke edge before she was 22) or whatever.

Again, to each their own. I'm just bored at work and my username filter is shithead.


I'll definitely give you that, it seems like the most militant of the group descended into alcoholism, I guess for the most part I'd be in the first category, I still put it in my online profiles but never wear shirts or brag about it, for me, straight edge is a very practical thing, drugs and alcohol never mixed well with my mental illness and also I'm kind of a penny pincher so it does save me a lot of money.

Sent from my SM-S820L using TheB9 mobile app
User avatar
trentxedge
 
Posts: 2497
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 pm
Location: Lansing, MI

Postby taylorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:16 pm

I get it, I was straight edge right up until my thirties. Once I got into my early twenties I always preferred the term "drug free" though. Straight edge developed a negative connotation because it was something lots of folks in my area only tried on for a few months. I never really liked being lumped in with those kinds of folks.
User avatar
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!
 
Posts: 18538
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:01 am
Location: Golden Corral's chocolate waterfall

Postby BRICK_FLAIR » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:10 pm

the big screen at the bar was playing a documentary about weed. Like, what's wrong with just putting on the Pistons game like a normal fucking bar?


I don't give a fraction of a fuck about sports and appreciate any public TV that shows something else (except when there's no sound on the soap operas at Mexican places, like, I need at least some captions to follow the drama)

Also, you are the most drab dull grey motherfucker here. "Watch sports and get a boring job like normal people." I should've expected as much from someone who named their band after a band they already knew existed. Honestly surprised you haven't just offed yourself already.
User avatar
BRICK_FLAIR
 
Posts: 8058
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:03 am

Postby Worship » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Lol
User avatar
Worship
9/11 truther
 
Posts: 61077
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:04 pm
Location: Prince International Seduction 747

Postby c_floyd II » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:39 pm

small breasts
User avatar
c_floyd II
 
Posts: 24723
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:23 pm
Location: Nü Hampshire

Postby blackhawks#1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:45 pm

BRICK_FLAIR wrote:
the big screen at the bar was playing a documentary about weed. Like, what's wrong with just putting on the Pistons game like a normal fucking bar?


I don't give a fraction of a fuck about sports and appreciate any public TV that shows something else (except when there's no sound on the soap operas at Mexican places, like, I need at least some captions to follow the drama)

Also, you are the most drab dull grey motherfucker here. "Watch sports and get a boring job like normal people." I should've expected as much from someone who named their band after a band they already knew existed. Honestly surprised you haven't just offed yourself already.

I didn't know there were two Anti-Flags
User avatar
blackhawks#1
HELL YES
 
Posts: 35533
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:39 am
Location: chicago

Postby 198d__ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:47 pm

BRICK_FLAIR wrote:
the big screen at the bar was playing a documentary about weed. Like, what's wrong with just putting on the Pistons game like a normal fucking bar?


I don't give a fraction of a fuck about sports and appreciate any public TV that shows something else (except when there's no sound on the soap operas at Mexican places, like, I need at least some captions to follow the drama)

Also, you are the most drab dull grey motherfucker here. "Watch sports and get a boring job like normal people." I should've expected as much from someone who named their band after a band they already knew existed. Honestly surprised you haven't just offed yourself already.

You couldn't have missed the mark any more.

The overall theme of my post was that I don't like people who feel this constant need to *spice up* tradition just because they're content with being alt weirdos who can't seem to find common ground with "normal" people. I don't care if people watch documentaries about weed, but if you actually give enough of a fuck about the TV at your bar to put some quasi-intellectual bullshit on while people are trying to have a good time, you have missed the point of going to the bar entirely.
User avatar
198d__
Marxist Cosplayer
 
Posts: 5412
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Detroit

Postby andydansby » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:50 pm

Lots of mature adults posting on the BRIDGE 9 MESSAGEBOARD these days.
andydansby
RIP DJ SCREW
 
Posts: 13729
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:22 am
Location: B9board.com

Postby Doitben » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:50 pm

sports. idk how people get so worked up over something so arbitrary. although i do love getting into character at live events.
skateboarding. but i do love watching daewon song videos

i hope this doesn't happen with music or photography
User avatar
Doitben
 
Posts: 2335
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:10 pm
Location: California

Postby slander » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:17 pm

Reading highbrow literature. Was really into it when I studied it at university, now I just find a lot of it boring and insufferable. Much prefer reading something I actually enjoy like dystopian sci fi stuff or a good non-fiction book. Likewise when it comes to spending time with other "writer" type people.

Hunting out good new music. Most bands are just aping some shit that was already done way better 20-30 years ago. If I stumble across some good new shit, that's great. But I can't be fucked spending hours listening to new releases from bands which for the most part are always just over-hyped.
User avatar
slander
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:12 pm
Location: auckland nz

Postby eilers » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:29 pm

This thread making me feel like a loser...apparently the things I like are all lame now!

Still like hardcore and going to shows
Still straight edge
Still love sports and wearing my teams' jerseys
Still play video games from time to time and wish I had more time for them
User avatar
eilers
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:30 pm
Location: VBC

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Co-signed on the vegan brunch at vegan place with vegan waffles and vegan smoothies annoying people. I've been vegan for 13 years and can pick out the diet vegans right away from that behavior. A lot of the vegans I know care about the environmental, ethical and health implications and are really trying to make a difference in the world. There they sit across from "allies" who turn into complete morons saying "lol bacon" to serious issues. I think that matters a little bit more than cosplayers or grown adults who get equally upset and righteous over whether or not Avengers 5 was true to the canon. That's less respectable in our society but I don't see it much different than people who waste time and breath arguing about sports.

I know it sucks and it's my bias but way too many adults living in total escapism fantasy land. It's hard for me to take a 34 year old seriously in a Stone Cold t shirt and Captain America snapback or a 55 year old draped in Patriots gear every day.
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie
 
Posts: 3445
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:58 am

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:53 pm

I think we can all agree on one thing here folks: FUCK the patriots.
User avatar
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?
 
Posts: 87598
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:00 am
Location: And then you have Kerry King who’s like ‘You see? You see these tribal tattoos?

Postby Worship » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:59 pm

eilers wrote:This thread making me feel like a loser...apparently the things I like are all lame now!

Still like hardcore and going to shows
Still straight edge
Still love sports and wearing my teams' jerseys
Still play video games from time to time and wish I had more time for them

gay
User avatar
Worship
9/11 truther
 
Posts: 61077
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:04 pm
Location: Prince International Seduction 747

Postby Worship » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:59 pm

also who the fuck are you
User avatar
Worship
9/11 truther
 
Posts: 61077
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:04 pm
Location: Prince International Seduction 747

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:59 pm

eilers wrote:This thread making me feel like a loser...apparently the things I like are all lame now!

Still like hardcore and going to shows
Still straight edge
Still love sports and wearing my teams' jerseys
Still play video games from time to time and wish I had more time for them

hell yea player
User avatar
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?
 
Posts: 87598
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:00 am
Location: And then you have Kerry King who’s like ‘You see? You see these tribal tattoos?

PreviousNext


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 14thFloor, 3 1/2, andydansby, AwwHellYeah, Bing [Bot], blackapache, brah_life, Brave Captain, CareyP, Citizen Cain, CJStirn, Cryinheart, Fester, Google [Bot], homesick, Iron-Clad Face, IThinkItsIndecision, Latenightloser, literamaniac, MIKExT, nerd eater, osully55, PaulKersey, perxhurt, pizzapower518, Shaggy X Age, Smashedbox 20, smorgasgeorge, theb00box, vtbte, xAJXDx, xRuffianx and 70 guests