post things/hobbies you used to be REALLY into but now DGAF

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby taylorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:01 pm

I still enjoy going to shows, although I don't necessarily get the same thing out of them as I used to. There's still a rush to getting up front and stage diving that doesn't compare to a lot of other shit. Granted, it usually results in some sort of injury but whatever.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Agreed on that. I go over my friends place on Sundays for a bit and people still give me shit about KC beating them in week 1 and how bad all the teams I root for suck. But they're grown ass adults who scream at televisions and cry when their team loses.

That's creepy as hell to me. I can watch sports and have fun still but it's like a defacto religion for self hating dudes that weirds me out. Like entire rooms of merchandise? That's no different than people who turn their entire houses into toy stores of the crap they like.
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:02 pm

I will say this: I am fucking THRILLED no one's setting off fireworks at house shows anymore.
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Location: And then you have Kerry King who’s like ‘You see? You see these tribal tattoos?

Postby blackhawks#1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:10 pm

fred durst wrote:I will say this: I am fucking THRILLED no one's setting off fireworks at house shows anymore.

Clevo shows are the best you ninny
blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:11 pm

fuck that, tell that to the roman candle scar on my arm.
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Location: And then you have Kerry King who’s like ‘You see? You see these tribal tattoos?

Postby othernewest1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:15 pm

being sober is cool but yea for the life of me cant imagine being in my mid to late 20s and telling ppl im straight edge
str8 fuckin werrt
othernewest1

Postby andydansby » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Fuck yo arm ouchie klown
andydansby
RIP DJ SCREW

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:16 pm

andydansby wrote:Fuck yo arm ouchie klown

talk some shit to my face then
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Postby oliviatremorcontrol » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:22 pm

Escapism is a good thing. Disliking video games for that reason is one of the most bizarre things I've heard.
oliviatremorcontrol

Postby macho insecurity » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:23 pm

lol @ video games being sad and pathetic. wahhhhhhh
macho insecurity
sucked his dad's dick for free

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:24 pm

Oh yeah, my video game playing is 300% escapism.
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Postby taylorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:28 pm

I barely play Halo anymore and only do it because I like seeing good a K/D ratio I can get. Lemme escape into my world of frags.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:28 pm

I have put in quite a bit of work to become mediocre at Destiny. So, I'm not going to quit now.
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Postby Sorley Boy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:35 pm

slander wrote:Reading highbrow literature. Was really into it when I studied it at university, now I just find a lot of it boring and insufferable. Much prefer reading something I actually enjoy like dystopian sci fi stuff or a good non-fiction book.

Sorley Boy

Postby othernewest1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:41 pm

oliviatremorcontrol wrote:Escapism is a good thing.

i mean to an extent
othernewest1

Postby Worship » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:43 pm

I dont need to escape from life, life needs to escape from me
Worship
9/11 truther

Postby othernewest1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:48 pm

my things/hobbies i used to be REALLY into but now DGAF about determines my death style
othernewest1

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:51 pm

It's more the fact that a lot of people spend a lot, if not all, of their non working hours in escapism, regardless of it's form. Video games were just something that I just grew out of because I couldn't imagine being 30 and still playing them.

Everyone needs escapism and time to shut their brain off but that's become the default and the only thing a lot of people do. When people lack the sense of community, purpose, or are unable to actually care about things that matter then it's not hard for everyone to become isolated individuals into a handful of things that end up becoming who you are. Just constantly living in some fantasy land of sports, wrestling, social media, video games or whatever it is.

Don't let the shit you're into define who you are.
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Worship wrote:I dont need to escape from life, life needs to escape from me

I drag 2Chainz, 2chainz don't drag me
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Postby taylorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:53 pm

dogdicksummer3 wrote:It's more the fact that a lot of people spend a lot, if not all, of their non working hours in escapism, regardless of it's form. Video games were just something that I just grew out of because I couldn't imagine being 30 and still playing them.

Everyone needs escapism and time to shut their brain off but that's become the default and the only thing a lot of people do. When people lack the sense of community, purpose, or are unable to actually care about things that matter then it's not hard for everyone to become isolated individuals into a handful of things that end up becoming who you are. Just constantly living in some fantasy land of sports, wrestling, social media, video games or whatever it is.

Ok, politics buckchalie.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:00 pm

Sorry, I forgot to add fast food for you.
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie

Postby Lil Meatsauce » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:11 pm

dogdicksummer3 wrote:Agreed on that. I go over my friends place on Sundays for a bit and people still give me shit about KC beating them in week 1 and how bad all the teams I root for suck. But they're grown ass adults who scream at televisions and cry when their team loses.

That's creepy as hell to me. I can watch sports and have fun still but it's like a defacto religion for self hating dudes that weirds me out. Like entire rooms of merchandise? That's no different than people who turn their entire houses into toy stores of the crap they like.

why not just find new friends instead of being embarrassed by their behavior all the time?
Lil Meatsauce

Postby oliviatremorcontrol » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Is caring about political climates that you can't change really all that different?
oliviatremorcontrol

Postby Lil Meatsauce » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:20 pm

dogdicksummer3 wrote:

wouldnt it be healthier to simply not let the perception of others hinder how you wish to define yourself?
Lil Meatsauce

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:27 pm

oliviatremorcontrol wrote:Is caring about political climates that you can't change really all that different?

Yes and it's why I encourage people to get involved in the process at local and state levels where real change is possible to make material differences.

I don't buy this line of thought, so learning and engaging in things that objectively matter to the material well being of others is the same as spending the same amount of time playing video games or watching sports?
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie

Postby Worship » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:30 pm

None of it fuckin matters, do whatever you wanna do
Worship
9/11 truther

Postby trentxedge » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:37 pm

fred durst wrote:I will say this: I am fucking THRILLED no one's setting off fireworks at house shows anymore.

Not a tru 9 shocks terror/Haymaker fan

Sent from my SM-S820L using TheB9 mobile app
trentxedge

Postby guttertech » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Lil Meatsauce wrote:
dogdicksummer3 wrote:

wouldnt it be healthier to simply not let the perception of others hinder how you wish to define yourself?

I could use this rationale to drop out of life and define myself by collecting anime toys but it doesn't really mean it's healthy.
guttertech

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:40 pm

Lil Meatsauce wrote:
dogdicksummer3 wrote:

Yes, but the same friends bring up feelings of unfulfillment, boredom, alienation, etc. and we discuss these things. I care about them and it's a larger trend I see in most people, myself included. It's a relatively new concept where people can buy anything and express themselves to others the way most people currently do. But nothing is getting better for anyone so why not try to get people to care about things, meet different people and work together on things to change that?

I like all types of crap and can talk sports to jazz to death metal to star wars to whatever but the fact people base their identity on which basically amounts to consumption and social signifiers bothers me a bit when these people then say they feel all the boredom, feel disenfranchised, etc.

I don't care what other people think of me unless I've hurt them in any way. I don't feel a need to define myself on this level. So sure do what you like doing but don't be so bummed when you're changing hobbies and interests every few months and then wonder why you're always bored or trying to kill time when you don't know what to do with yourself.
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie

Postby taylorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:43 pm

And there’s the lengthy essay.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:48 pm

Oh jeez, God forbid reading more than a handful of sentences or anyone taking time to articulate their thoughts.
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie

Postby taylorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:53 pm

So you don't think you routinely write novels on here? Is that it?
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby oliviatremorcontrol » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Most activism these days amounts to little more than intellectual masturbation. The most you can do is be a kind and decent person. Sure, vote for things you believe in and engage in civil discourse with people, but don't spend every waking moment trying to change things. I know people who use much of their free time preaching to the choir at Communist rallies. At least video games are fun.
oliviatremorcontrol

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:56 pm

If the lengths of my posts bother you, you're free to ignore them. If the content bothers you, then those responses are more than welcome.
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie

Postby taylorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:58 pm

Ugh, shut up.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:00 pm

oliviatremorcontrol wrote:Most activism these days amounts to little more than intellectual masturbation. The most you can do is be a kind and decent person. Sure, vote for things you believe in and engage in civil discourse with people, but don't spend every waking moment trying to change things. I know people who use much of their free time preaching to the choir at Communist rallies. At least video games are fun.

That's a little presumptuous but otherwise is true for people who choose to identify themselves in the way I've talking about and you've identified.

You can be kind and decent and also engage in actual ways to change things for people. So that's not the most you can do. On the contrary, it's more the case that people spend zero time trying to change anything and the least they can do is spend their life just trying to have fun not worrying about anything ever.
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie

Postby Booty Telegram » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:02 pm

dogdicksummer3 wrote:
oliviatremorcontrol wrote:Most activism these days amounts to little more than intellectual masturbation. The most you can do is be a kind and decent person. Sure, vote for things you believe in and engage in civil discourse with people, but don't spend every waking moment trying to change things. I know people who use much of their free time preaching to the choir at Communist rallies. At least video games are fun.

That's a little presumptuous but otherwise is true for people who choose to identify themselves in the way I've talking about and you've identified.

You can be kind and decent and also engage in actual ways to change things for people. So that's not the most you can do. On the contrary, it's more the case that people spend zero time trying to change anything and the least they can do is spend their life just trying to have fun not worrying about anything ever.

OK, but you're acting as if trying to change things (in the way you're describing) is inherently better than not doing so. It's not, it's just different.
Booty Telegram

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:09 pm

I don't understand what you're saying Booty. Its a value judgement, sure, but are we really arguing whether or spending 3 hours a month at a community organization is the same as playing Madden?
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie

Postby taylorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:11 pm

taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:17 pm

If I didn't know any better I'm really beginning to think you're in your thirties and taking offense to this.
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie

Postby Booty Telegram » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:41 pm

dogdicksummer3 wrote:I don't understand what you're saying Booty. Its a value judgement, sure, but are we really arguing whether or spending 3 hours a month at a community organization is the same as playing Madden?

I'm not saying it's the same, I said they were different things. I just don't think one of these is morally superior to the other or whatever. Both are just to pass one's time. One of them could be more intellectual than the other, though, for sure (but I'm sure there's more thinking involved in some games than in some community administration or organization tasks, so it's hard to make a general statement as to which that is).

I mean, your post really just came off as "look at me, THE INTELLECTUAL; I laugh at you plebs for entertaining yourselves with meaningless stuff while I work on these super important things, the implications of which will be felt for thousands of years in the future." And I don't really play games myself, so I wasn't personally offended, but I commented, because it felt kind of condescending regardless.

Same with 198d_'s comment about people involved with the music scene having no long term goals. How exactly does going to shows show that?
Booty Telegram

Postby Brave Captain » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:50 pm

being in a band - the older i get, the more focus on finding a career versus starting a band. i'll jump back into music heavy when i'm not constantly asking myself "how am i going to support myself". i'm very picky with what i want to play, who i want to/will play with, and won't bend over backwards to play uninteresting music unless its with someone who i've been close with for along time. in that instance it's just an extension of our friendship or a favor and i would just screw around(but hold shit down). i'll always play music for the most part though. i need an outlet with limitless boundaries.

playing bass - been doing it for 12 fuckin years, i need something new. once again i'll revisit it in the future but for now i'm planning on buying a guitar. i've always been influenced by guitarists more and one day just told myself "fuck it, i'll buy a damn guitar". gonna get a cheap tele.

partying- EDIT - TOO EXPENSIVE

reading - having the majority of my schoolwork be reading about what lameass dead people said 100-3000 years ago, this has sucked the fun out of any kind of books that i may pick up. outside of reading the news, i couldn't care less about reading. i'll pick it up again someday though.

watching tv - i just get bored. there's nothing wrong with tv itself, i just need to be doing something that has any sort of motor function or else i'll lose interest quickly.

dating - most dates i've been on involved going to a bar and getting drunk and then fucking. that gets old after awhile and the routine isn't worth it. also, it's expensive. i tried the online stuff and have found just meeting someone IRL is much better.

other things like skateboarding and video games have come and gone in the past, but as of the past couple of years, i've been getting back into them because they're hobbies where you definitely get your moneys worth out of them and can be inexpensive if you're smart about it.
Last edited by Brave Captain on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brave Captain

Postby Brave Captain » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:56 pm

also, i'll add being involved with local music: people only want to hangout with you if they can get something out of you and that sucks. most of the time i dont care about what's going on with what most people around here are doing musically. most of the trends come and go anyway. people are so concerned with their identity in "the scene" and act like it's a job or some shit. fuck that. if im at a gig i'll wanna goof around and not pretend like i'm too cool for anyone.
Brave Captain

Postby othernewest1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:57 pm

hes saying doing volunteer work in community organizations and getting involved "in the process at local and state levels" is more productive than escapism, how is that hard to understand?

do what you gotta do to justify your own behavior but idk i just dont dig the why do anything at all nothing matters thing
othernewest1

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:19 pm

Booty Telegram wrote:
dogdicksummer3 wrote:I don't understand what you're saying Booty. Its a value judgement, sure, but are we really arguing whether or spending 3 hours a month at a community organization is the same as playing Madden?

I'm not saying it's the same, I said they were different things. I just don't think one of these is morally superior to the other or whatever. Both are just to pass one's time. One of them could be more intellectual than the other, though, for sure (but I'm sure there's more thinking involved in some games than in some community administration or organization tasks, so it's hard to make a general statement as to which that is).

I mean, your post really just came off as "look at me, THE INTELLECTUAL; I laugh at you plebs for entertaining yourselves with meaningless stuff while I work on these super important things, the implications of which will be felt for thousands of years in the future." And I don't really play games myself, so I wasn't personally offended, but I commented, because it felt kind of condescending regardless.

I'll spoiler this

Spoiler: show
That wasn't my intention at all but I can see how it comes off. A lot of people have the idea of some PC campus activist and it's off-putting. A lot of it is way out of their hands and is basically virtue signalling that never results in any change. What I'm talking about is different and I don't think they're both just ways to pass the time unless you're a die hard nihilist and cynical.

I don't like seeing my friends and people around me feel bored or alienated just constantly trying to kill time and making it their life. I experienced that and they've expressed that to me so I had to take it upon myself to change and have gotten some of them involved. I don't like to get personal on here but it is necessary to explain what I'm talking about.

We have an organizations for our massive recreational woods and park, our beach, our downtown arts district, seniors, multicultural council, etc. and they all meet for 1-2 hours a month. Those exist in most communities. I spend Spring volunteering on the weekends preparing crops for a regional CSA that has a satellite in my city which sells cheap fresh produce to low income residents and employees teens in the Summer. I spend Summer on the local beach commission lobbying for clean up funds (we have a storm runoff rendering it unsafe for swimming until a few years ago), 4th fireworks, bands, movie nights on the park, dog bag dispensaries, etc. I volunteer cleaning and landscaping little league parks. In the Fall I'm in an organization that helps seniors and disabled residents clean their yards, help them get heating assistance, meals, traveling. I'm on a board for clean cities and community engagement program working in after school programs, senior centers, etc. to get people involved. 2 hours a month reading to kids at the local library in an after school evening program while their parents are working late. A program in the Winter that helps seniors shovel out their homes after a hotline was set up. My city eliminated veteran homelessness after some of this kind of work. I've worked on school board and council campaigns that fought for bettering others lives and won. That's community engagement that makes a difference in others lives, the politics stuff is completely different but organizing people for voter registration, community health clinics, bilingual outreach programs, teaching civics, etc. aren't the same thing as what we're talking about here in this thread.

It's easy to get cynical and jaded but nothing is more disheartening to me than seeing people who have given up on the idea of living in a community or shared society, who thinks everything sucks and it's easier to escape in whatever form they want whether it's drugs or video games, etc. That the only thing that matters is my fun and I'm not bothering anyone so who cares?

I whole heatedly hate that this type of time spent is looked at as pretentious or self important because it constantly is and it seems like it's much easier to make fun of someone for giving a shit and trying.
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie

Postby taylorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:46 pm

dogdicksummer3 wrote:If I didn't know any better I'm really beginning to think you're in your thirties and taking offense to this.

...taking offense to what? You’ve said nothing remotely inflammatory, you’re just long winded and have no concept of brevity. It’s annoying.

And what would lead you to believe I’m in my early thirties Sherlock? Was it the fact that I already alluded to that in this thread? :smt005
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:56 pm

To be honest I usually only know people by their avatar so when I see yours I pretty much know you have nothing of any interest or value to say so I just keep scrolling.
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie

Postby lala fuck you » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:58 pm

Photography
Going to the gym

But I wanna get back into though
lala fuck you

Postby taylorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:09 pm

dogdicksummer3 wrote:To be honest I usually only know people by their avatar so when I see yours I pretty much know you have nothing of any interest or value to say so I just keep scrolling.

Oh man, my feelings. The king of political babble you typically find in HuffPost comments sections got me good. :smt010
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby macho insecurity » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Why are there page long philosophical blatherings happening in this thread? Some of you care about the most trivial shit.
macho insecurity
sucked his dad's dick for free

PreviousNext