post things/hobbies you used to be REALLY into but now DGAF

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby othernewest1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:45 pm

me, an intellectual:
othernewest1

Postby taylorm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:47 pm

Well, as a mother...
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby Alex 2K » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:09 pm

Worship wrote:I dont need to escape from life, life needs to escape from me

get it
Alex 2K

Postby Alex 2K » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:12 pm

shithead wrote:Ugh, shut up.

Fuck you.
Alex 2K

Postby Alex 2K » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:17 pm

ya all whiners

except for ME
Alex 2K

Postby Sorley Boy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:46 pm

A lot of bitching for a thread about things you DGAF about.
Sorley Boy

Postby throwing shapes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:55 pm

I can beat 3 video games in the time it takes to read 1 dogdicksummer3 essay.
throwing shapes

Postby yiffcore » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:40 am

I used to be into anime during the 2000s, haven't really payed attention since.
yiffcore

Postby taylorm » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:42 am

Alex 2K wrote:ya all whiners

except for ME

:smt045
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby judge smails » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:07 am

dogdicksummer3 wrote:
oliviatremorcontrol wrote:Is caring about political climates that you can't change really all that different?

Yes and it's why I encourage people to get involved in the process at local and state levels where real change is possible to make material differences.

I don't buy this line of thought, so learning and engaging in things that objectively matter to the material well being of others is the same as spending the same amount of time playing video games or watching sports?

Nah, I just.. I don’t care.
judge smails

Postby 198d__ » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:30 am

Someone replied earlier don't remember who but whatever.

I don't think people who go to shows lack long term goals. I still go occasionally, I play in a band even! I mean people who still make hardcore a primary identity in their late 20s. I hardly make it known to people outside of music that I am a musician. No one cares, it's not any cooler or more special than anyone else's hobby. Any recognition for what I create outside of myself is absolutely flattering and amazing. It blows me away whenever my music is acknowledged. I am content just being a regular person who makes metal on the side sometimes, rather than dedicating my entire identity and lifestyle to it. You know the type of people I mean.
198d__
Marxist Cosplayer

Postby blackhawks#1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:56 am

198d__ wrote:Someone replied earlier don't remember who but whatever.

I don't think people who go to shows lack long term goals. I still go occasionally, I play in a band even! I mean people who still make hardcore a primary identity in their late 20s. I hardly make it known to people outside of music that I am a musician. No one cares, it's not any cooler or more special than anyone else's hobby. Any recognition for what I create outside of myself is absolutely flattering and amazing. It blows me away whenever my music is acknowledged. I am content just being a regular person who makes metal on the side sometimes, rather than dedicating my entire identity and lifestyle to it. You know the type of people I mean.

You're just a tourist. It's ok.
blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby taylorm » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:57 am

If you’re not were you were never now.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby t.doomhammer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:36 am

At my age, that's exactly what I've turned into. My job is pretty important to me and I've worked my ass off to get where I am. Playing technical death metal isn't going to help me achieve any kind of long term goals. Thankfully I work in an environment where I can have show flyers in my cubicle and nobody really cares. I see a lot of scene lifers here and while that's cool and I definitely respect their dedication, it's not for me.
t.doomhammer

Postby 198d__ » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:58 am

t.doomhammer wrote:

At my age, that's exactly what I've turned into. My job is pretty important to me and I've worked my ass off to get where I am. Playing technical death metal isn't going to help me achieve any kind of long term goals. Thankfully I work in an environment where I can have show flyers in my cubicle and nobody really cares. I see a lot of scene lifers here and while that's cool and I definitely respect their dedication, it's not for me.

Exactly. It's not like I don't have friends who meet that criteria, it just isn't for me. I couldn't imagine being 30+ and still putting on basement shows for people 10 years younger, whilst my only income is working 35 hours a week at a bar, record store, or restaurant. Detroit is FILLED with these types. Most of them hailing from white, middle-class backgrounds who have been given plenty of opportunities to succeed.

Idk man, I want to one day be able to repay my wonderful parents for all they've given me so they can have an easy life. I am not going to piss on my privilege by willingly working shitty jobs that will allow me to go on 2 week tours when I'm 29.

I gave up on thinking I had to do my passion as a means of living a long time ago and that's perfectly okay. Your job is just a means to an end. It's a shitty thing you have to do so you can spend your free time doing what actually makes you happy. If that makes me "boring" so be it.
198d__
Marxist Cosplayer

Postby xXxBretWeedxXx » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:31 am

I'm still into everything I was ever into, right down to eating paste and forgetting to feed my Tomogatchi.
xXxBretWeedxXx
GOKKUN SUPERFAN

Postby rocketskates » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:41 am

Wrestling.
rocketskates

Postby Booty Telegram » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:04 am

othernewest1 wrote:hes saying doing volunteer work in community organizations and getting involved "in the process at local and state levels" is more productive than escapism, how is that hard to understand?

do what you gotta do to justify your own behavior but idk i just dont dig the why do anything at all nothing matters thing

Yeah, I understood what he's saying, I was just challenging the productive = good, unproductive = bad narrative. Productivity for the sake of productivity is nothing to strive for, likewise with being busy.

And I'm not trying to justify my own behavior. I don't play video games or watch movies, and very rarely do I watch TV shows, so what he said doesn't really concern me personally.
Booty Telegram

Postby Booty Telegram » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:24 am

What exactly do you mean by making hardcore their primary identity? Wearing band shirts? Still going to shows? If someone dresses like that and goes to shows in their spare time, how exactly is that so inextricably linked with lack of long term goals, whereas dressing like a normie and doing things everyone else does in their spare time isn't and even signals you should be taken seriously? I don't know, I guess I never realized being into hardcore requires such drastic lifestyle changes that you have to forego all career goals just to be into it.

It seems to me you're over it and see some lifers that work dead-end jobs, and then you just generalize to everyone else that they're the same just for being into the same thing.
Booty Telegram

Postby Booty Telegram » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 am

dogdicksummer3 wrote:
Booty Telegram wrote:
dogdicksummer3 wrote:I don't understand what you're saying Booty. Its a value judgement, sure, but are we really arguing whether or spending 3 hours a month at a community organization is the same as playing Madden?

I'm not saying it's the same, I said they were different things. I just don't think one of these is morally superior to the other or whatever. Both are just to pass one's time. One of them could be more intellectual than the other, though, for sure (but I'm sure there's more thinking involved in some games than in some community administration or organization tasks, so it's hard to make a general statement as to which that is).

I mean, your post really just came off as "look at me, THE INTELLECTUAL; I laugh at you plebs for entertaining yourselves with meaningless stuff while I work on these super important things, the implications of which will be felt for thousands of years in the future." And I don't really play games myself, so I wasn't personally offended, but I commented, because it felt kind of condescending regardless.

I'll spoiler this

Spoiler: show
That wasn't my intention at all but I can see how it comes off. A lot of people have the idea of some PC campus activist and it's off-putting. A lot of it is way out of their hands and is basically virtue signalling that never results in any change. What I'm talking about is different and I don't think they're both just ways to pass the time unless you're a die hard nihilist and cynical.

I don't like seeing my friends and people around me feel bored or alienated just constantly trying to kill time and making it their life. I experienced that and they've expressed that to me so I had to take it upon myself to change and have gotten some of them involved. I don't like to get personal on here but it is necessary to explain what I'm talking about.

We have an organizations for our massive recreational woods and park, our beach, our downtown arts district, seniors, multicultural council, etc. and they all meet for 1-2 hours a month. Those exist in most communities. I spend Spring volunteering on the weekends preparing crops for a regional CSA that has a satellite in my city which sells cheap fresh produce to low income residents and employees teens in the Summer. I spend Summer on the local beach commission lobbying for clean up funds (we have a storm runoff rendering it unsafe for swimming until a few years ago), 4th fireworks, bands, movie nights on the park, dog bag dispensaries, etc. I volunteer cleaning and landscaping little league parks. In the Fall I'm in an organization that helps seniors and disabled residents clean their yards, help them get heating assistance, meals, traveling. I'm on a board for clean cities and community engagement program working in after school programs, senior centers, etc. to get people involved. 2 hours a month reading to kids at the local library in an after school evening program while their parents are working late. A program in the Winter that helps seniors shovel out their homes after a hotline was set up. My city eliminated veteran homelessness after some of this kind of work. I've worked on school board and council campaigns that fought for bettering others lives and won. That's community engagement that makes a difference in others lives, the politics stuff is completely different but organizing people for voter registration, community health clinics, bilingual outreach programs, teaching civics, etc. aren't the same thing as what we're talking about here in this thread.

It's easy to get cynical and jaded but nothing is more disheartening to me than seeing people who have given up on the idea of living in a community or shared society, who thinks everything sucks and it's easier to escape in whatever form they want whether it's drugs or video games, etc. That the only thing that matters is my fun and I'm not bothering anyone so who cares?

I whole heatedly hate that this type of time spent is looked at as pretentious or self important because it constantly is and it seems like it's much easier to make fun of someone for giving a shit and trying.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but ultimately you're also just doing these things for yourself. It's because they make YOU feel good. So if that's what you or other people need to be content in life, then by all means, do it. And sure, your activities have greater effect on other people and I'm not arguing they don't make a (greater) difference in their lives, but the motivation for doing all of this is exactly the same as that of someone escaping into games. Unless you're religious and believe in some deeper purpose to our existence, I don't see how anything anyone would do would not be to just make life as bearable as possible for themselves.

Also, this is what you said originally: "Plus I think adults playing video games is depressing and totally immature." It was a blanket statement that also basically included people getting together with friends to hang out while playing games as being depressing and immature. And then only later did you mention one extreme of playing video games, which is being totally consumed by them and not being able to talk much about anything else. Which, yeah, most likely isn't healthy and people should probably change their behavior for that, but I was taking issue with you implying any playing of video games is somehow depressing and immature.
Booty Telegram

Postby Brave Captain » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:32 pm

this thread sucks
Brave Captain

Postby brah_life » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Cannabis/ beer- debating going back to school so I figured it'd be a good idea to do away with these two. I'll still have the occasional beer with dinner but with weed I either smoke 7-8 times a day or completely abstain.

Kicks- I been selling off my collection left and right and have a few hundred bucks laying around ready to pick something up but my inner voice is like "you just bought a new pair and don't even really really like anything that's out at the moment."

Even my sleep schedule is now fucked from not burning all day long. No matter how hard I try, I wake up every few hours and sometimes I can immediately fall back to sleep but others I lay there for a half to whole hour.

TL,DR- fuck everything, it's all pointless and meaningless in the end.
brah_life
Spent $40 on a brick because hypebeast said it's cool

Postby trentxedge » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:14 pm

At least you won't have weird co workers asking "when is your rock band playing another concert dude? "

Sent from my SM-S820L using TheB9 mobile app
trentxedge

Postby othernewest1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:48 pm

and then you tell them oh actually were playing this saturday at __
and then they shut up
othernewest1

Postby SexGod123 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:12 pm

Video game and record collecting. The amount of money I've spent on that shit kinda worries me and now that I've moved away from home I don't even have any room to store stuff anymore. One day I need to go through everything I amassed between the ages of 16-22 and sell it off, would rather have the money these days.
SexGod123

Postby Ensign » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:14 am

Skateboarding, even though I still have the same bag of tricks I did when I was 18 I only use skateboarding to kill time. The only times I've gone to skate all year have been when I was waiting for work on my car to be done.

The NFL. I don't know what it is specifically, but NFL football has become beyond boring to me while college football is great

Hardcore/punk as an "identity". I stopped going to shows for a few years and I was beating myself up for it for a while until I realized it doesn't fucking matter as long as I'm enjoying myself
Ensign

Postby countscashaccurately » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:57 pm

Can't quote the 2nd post?

Swimming (ironic as I coach it now....it's a necessity thing).
Rock climbing
Ultimate frisbee
countscashaccurately

Postby earlyinthemorning » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:10 pm

198d__ wrote:
People who are in their mid-twenties and still caring about their presence in Hardcore are fucking sad and have no long term life goals.

Also: fuck new-age Mexican restaurants who charge for chips and salsa.
earlyinthemorning

Postby dyna-soar » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:25 pm

198d__ wrote:I was also straight edge for 7 years and I now think being it is the silliest thing in the world. Like, my friends who are edge and pushing 30...why? I am not being condescending. I genuinely want to understand why people feel it necessary to X up past the age of 22.

i'm 30 and still edge, although i haven't been involved in hc for 5+ years. sounds like you regretted 7 years of your life, though. have a drink and move on.
dyna-soar

Postby earlyinthemorning » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:41 pm

i was edge until i stopped believing in it and found most edge kids in the city i grew up in were worse off as people than my friends who'd drink at 17-18
earlyinthemorning

Postby dyna-soar » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:48 pm

earlyinthemorning wrote:i was edge until i stopped believing in it and found most edge kids in the city i grew up in were worse off as people than my friends who'd drink at 17-18

who cares about the 'kids', though? hardcore and straight edge is infested with superficial idiots and degenerates. the subculture isn't morally superior to any other, despite what every youth crew band proclaims. it has always put itself on an elitist pedestal that it does not deserve whatsoever.

(edited a ton of times because apparently i can't spell at all today).
Last edited by dyna-soar on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
dyna-soar

Postby perxhurt » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:48 pm

MTG
Hanging out in parking lots
perxhurt

Postby 198d__ » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:51 pm

dyna-soar wrote:
198d__ wrote:I was also straight edge for 7 years and I now think being it is the silliest thing in the world. Like, my friends who are edge and pushing 30...why? I am not being condescending. I genuinely want to understand why people feel it necessary to X up past the age of 22.

i'm 30 and still edge, although i haven't been involved in hc for 5+ years. sounds like you regretted 7 years of your life, though. have a drink and move on.

dude. read the thread title.
198d__
Marxist Cosplayer

Postby perxhurt » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:53 pm

198d__ wrote:
dyna-soar wrote:

dude. read the thread title.

you called edge @ 30 the "silliest thing in the world" on a hc msgboard :pizzaeater: dummy
perxhurt

Postby othernewest1 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:56 am

perxhurt wrote:Hanging out in parking lots

tru
othernewest1

Postby Chute Boxe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:53 am

shithead wrote:
trentxedge wrote:It's really ironic to me that a bunch of people who are complaining about "people needing labels" are the same people that are self identified sports fans etc, like how is wearing a sports team shirt/jersey really any different than a band shirt/vegan/straight edge shirt? You use labels as self identification, whether you realize it or not.

Not all people who like or support a sports team opt to wear the team shirts and jerseys, so...

Sports teams you can route for. Going to games is fun (except baseball fuck baseball) it’s exciting when your team wins. It’s not like you’re routing for edge vs non edge in a competition.
Chute Boxe

Postby earlyinthemorning » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:25 am

Chute Boxe wrote:
shithead wrote:
trentxedge wrote:It's really ironic to me that a bunch of people who are complaining about "people needing labels" are the same people that are self identified sports fans etc, like how is wearing a sports team shirt/jersey really any different than a band shirt/vegan/straight edge shirt? You use labels as self identification, whether you realize it or not.

Not all people who like or support a sports team opt to wear the team shirts and jerseys, so...

Sports teams you can route for. Going to games is fun (except baseball fuck baseball) it’s exciting when your team wins. It’s not like you’re routing for edge vs non edge in a competition.

trentxedge you are pretty dense, not comparable at all. you are the prime example of why straight edge is getting made fun of.
earlyinthemorning

Postby eilers » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:32 am

Find it odd that so many people see playing video games as being immature (or pathetic) and you need to stop them to grow up. I dunno how you measure maturity but several people I know, including myself, have successful careers, degrees, families, own homes, etc. (If those things are a metric for being mature) and still play video games pretty frequently.

I’m also 30 and still straight edge and go to shows whenever I can get away from work. Sad to see so many people regret their decision of being straight edge. Seems like some people did it for the wrong reasons.
eilers

Postby macho insecurity » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:05 pm

I'm the most successful person in the video game thread. You don't see bragging about it.
macho insecurity
sucked his dad's dick for free

Postby HULKSwagon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:03 am

There are days where I think I should sell all of my shit and then I watch a youtube video of some nerd acquiring 600 big box PC games and then I am back to browsing ebay.
HULKSwagon

Postby trentxedge » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:30 am

earlyinthemorning wrote:
Chute Boxe wrote:
shithead wrote:

trentxedge you are pretty dense, not comparable at all. you are the prime example of why straight edge is getting made fun of.

You're all in denial, it's all just an advertisement for things you are personally into, unless you own a closet full of plain black and white clothing. I don't give a shit if it gets made fun of being sober works for me, who gives a fuck if I call myself straight edge or not.

trentxedge

Postby earlyinthemorning » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:33 am

trentxedge wrote:
earlyinthemorning wrote:
Chute Boxe wrote:
shithead wrote:

You're all in denial, it's all just an advertisement for things you are personally into, unless you own a closet full of plain black and white clothing. I don't give a shit if it gets made fun of being sober works for me, who gives a fuck if I call myself straight edge or not.

I can imagine all of that murrays pomade dripping down your forehead in your fit of anger
Last edited by earlyinthemorning on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
earlyinthemorning

Postby trentxedge » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:36 am

earlyinthemorning wrote:
trentxedge wrote:
earlyinthemorning wrote:
Chute Boxe wrote:
shithead wrote:[quote="trentxedge"]It's really ironic to me that a bunch of people who are complaining about "people needing labels" are the same people that are self identified sports fans etc, like how is wearing a sports team shirt/jersey really any different than a band shirt/vegan/straight edge shirt? You use labels as self identification, whether you realize it or not.

and you still look like a weenie

*edit surprisingly most of my clothes are black and white. do you use hair gel?[/quote]

No, I don't

trentxedge

Postby earlyinthemorning » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:37 am

i fold
earlyinthemorning

Previous