post things/hobbies you used to be REALLY into but now DGAF

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Adonis » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:53 pm

I used to be a professional musician, havent picked up a guitar in about 3 years and had a career path change. dont miss it.

In before 'going to hardcore shows'
Adonis

Postby c_floyd II » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Skateboarding
Rock climbing
Ultimate frisbee
c_floyd II

Postby oliviatremorcontrol » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:59 pm

Gaming. Doesn't seem to be anything worthwhile out there with all the rehashed, unfinished products. Reading. Been depressed and can't find the energy to bury my face in a book.
oliviatremorcontrol

Postby Adonis » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:02 pm

oliviatremorcontrol wrote:Gaming. Doesn't seem to be anything worthwhile out there with all the rehashed, unfinished products. Reading. Been depressed and can't find the energy to bury my face in a book.

i can relate to both of these
Adonis

Postby c_floyd II » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:15 pm

giving up gaming is called growing up
c_floyd II

Postby Luthor » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:28 pm

NFL. Between Kaep not having a job, the concussion issues, the way greedy owners rob cities, it's handling of domestic abuse policies and the official team of the alt right winning every year, it's grown tiring.
Luthor

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:35 pm

1.) Sports. I can't make myself care anymore. The awful business practices, tax payer funded stadiums, etc. It all seems like a massive waste of time, energy and futile exercises in tribalism.

2.) Video games. Haven't touched one in a long time. I bought a PS4 two years ago and played it for a few weeks. Bought a raspberry pi and turned it into an emulator for everything from 2600 to N64 and haven't touched it in over a year. Plus I think adults playing video games is depressing and totally immature.

I thought of all the time wasted watching sports or playing video games and then realized I've read about 5 books a month since I gave both up. Also picked up painting.
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie

Postby othernewest1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:42 pm

When I was young I used to race mountain bikes but then I stopped riding bikes and started skateboarding in highschool.then I started doing drugs .I don't do any of these anymore but used to all the time. Well I still skate occasionally
othernewest1

Postby macho insecurity » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Sports outside of live games. Don't watch much televised sports anymore because I don't have the time to dedicate to that.

Fantasy sports go along with that too.
macho insecurity
sucked his dad's dick for free

Postby Sorley Boy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:44 pm

The purpose of my life.
Sorley Boy

Postby c_floyd II » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:50 pm

Sorley Boy wrote:The purpose of my life.

You have a child to raise
c_floyd II

Postby Sorley Boy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:56 pm

Ehh that's mostly Manuela's purpose.
Sorley Boy

Postby Adonis » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:04 pm

Why is video gaming deemed immature or depressing compared to other mediums to relax like watching a movie? There are R rated games etc. I just never really understood that viewpoint.
Adonis

Postby lifejuice » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:19 pm

I used to smoke weed all day every day. Think I've had it twice in the past year. After a while it just starts to make me anxious and depressed.

I was strictly vegan for about a year and was really into animal liberation and worked at a vegan co-op for a while. I seriously can't give a fuck anymore.
lifejuice

Postby lurkyloo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:21 pm

Adonis wrote:Why is video gaming deemed immature or depressing compared to other mediums to relax like watching a movie? There are R rated games etc. I just never really understood that viewpoint.

it's the role-playing escapism bit. you are the main character, someone you could never actually be. with a film or tv show, you're just watching someone else's story. also video games are way cornier than movies. the r-rated video games are especially corny.

personally, video games give me anxiety.
lurkyloo

Postby Worship » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:24 pm

definitely video games

podcasts
Worship
9/11 truther

Postby Spider Jerusalem » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:34 pm

My camera has sat unused for like 3-4 years.

skateboard has been in my trunk for almost that long too.
Spider Jerusalem

Postby oldorder » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:47 pm

Playing music, picked up my guitar the other day and my coordination is completely shot.

Magic: The Gathering, it's such a time sink if you want to play competitive (which by my nature is all I would want to play). At my peak I was probably playing or working on it 20+ hours a week. I'll watch some tournaments from time to time but can't imagine playing it anymore. Also it's crazy expensive, the format I would want to play a lot of decks cost around $3,000.
oldorder
would rather die than not eat Taco Bell

Postby Lil Meatsauce » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:01 pm

ive found myself recently picking up hobbies ive left behind for years. video games for example, the last time i actively played and considered myself a "gamer" was probably 20 years ago? about 7 months ago i bought a ps4 started revisiting RPGs and fighting games again. i now play tekken online probably 4 days a week. starting to get serious about getting better and im studying "frame traps" and all that shit.

forgot how much i enjoyed playing video games.
Last edited by Lil Meatsauce on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lil Meatsauce

Postby Alex 2K » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:06 pm

comics

: (
Alex 2K

Postby krujones » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:06 pm

Sometimes I wish I was like I was when I was a teenager where I could sit and play video games for 5 hours straight but I just have no patience for it anymore outside of a game a year or so
krujones
BIG WANG THEORY

Postby donnie_d3 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:18 pm

craft beer
donnie_d3

Postby Lil Meatsauce » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 pm

motorcycles
Last edited by Lil Meatsauce on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lil Meatsauce

Postby donnie_d3 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:27 pm

sex
donnie_d3

Postby Anti-todo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:44 pm

Fixed gear bicycles
Dungeons & Dragons
Getting my eyebrows threaded
Anti-todo

Postby t.doomhammer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:01 pm

Craft beer. I just don't care anymore and it mostly makes me feel drained the next day. Same goes with drinking in general. I'm not cut out for it anymore I'm pretty sure.
I also used to be really into going out but it turns out I mostly don't care about that either. There's no point at all anymore.
t.doomhammer

Postby spicydeath » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:27 pm

smoking weed
drinking
spicydeath

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:12 pm

To be honest, I don't like people who are into things and make it their life. You all know what I'm talking about. If you present yourself in a way that I can identify everything you're into just by looking at you, I don't like you.

I don't mean art or passion projects, but people who base their whole identity around whatever they're into.

That's why I don't like sports or video games anymore. It's literally all my friends do when they're not working and the only things they can talk about for more than 90 seconds. That's depressing to me.
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie

Postby Pro High Fiver » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:21 pm

I used to think making and editing video was my passion but honestly by 19 or 20 years old that faded hard. Also used to be into painting but to be honest I'm not really into that anymore either.
Pro High Fiver

Postby Eyes of Madness » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:41 pm

Funko Pop vinyls. Only own around 10 figures, so I'm glad I stopped caring at that point. They're all boxed up in my closet for now.

Craft beer. Went months without buying any and now I find it hard to justify dropping $10+ on a single bottle. Now I just stick with a handful of favorite breweries when I do get that rare itch to have something that isn't PBR or Coors.

Going to the movie theater. I would see 2-3 movies a month at times. I hardly pay attention to what's out anymore.
Eyes of Madness

Postby HOTDOGS_COMINURWAY » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:51 pm

riding a bike
going to the gym
going to shows
going outside

the straight edge
HOTDOGS_COMINURWAY

Postby dyna-soar » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:25 am

- being 'active' in various subcultures (hardcore, noise, etc).
- records.
- graphic design (as in being a designer).
- basketball.
- video games.
- mma.
- sofubi/kaiju collecting.
dyna-soar

Postby topo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:55 am

Video games
Movies

Postby BRICK_FLAIR » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:04 am

I was super into video games until a natural disaster took my PS2 and the 200+ hours I had sunk into a bunch of games I was almost finished with. I'm only just now kinda getting back into it 15 years later.
BRICK_FLAIR

Postby trentxedge » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:35 am

Airsoft
Magic the Gathering
Hunting/Fishing (going vegan threw a wrench into that)
trentxedge

Postby memoryfailure » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:47 am

Avoiding bankruptcy
memoryfailure

Postby judge smails » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:45 am

Weed

Television. When I moved into my current place cable didn’t come standard and I didn’t feel like paying $90 a month for cable and internet, so cable got the axe. I don’t miss it. Sports kind of goes hand in hand with this.

Definitely moving away from gaming as well. Major publishers keep pushing very scummy practices onto gamers and it’s souring me on the hobby in general. That and I don’t give a shit about anything coming out.

Going out to bars. Occasionally I’ll head down to the local bar on like a Tuesday afternoon when no one’s there for wings and a couple beers, but fuck going out on weekends. I’d rather stay home and drink by myself.
judge smails

Postby nerd eater » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:19 am

Action figures
nerd eater
Skott's Friend

Postby theonefreeman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:06 am

Playing music. In my last band, one of the members was an alcoholic and another basically just refused to learn the songs. I was pissed off after every set we played and this thing that was supposed to be a source of fun in my life became a pit of anxiety. Our last show was at some fest to a decent-sized crowd and they actually played well, but I was still happy to see it end. I'll probably never be in a band again because I don't know too many people who would be interested in doing what I want to do.

Drinking. I used to be a piece of shit when I was in college and drinking too much. Destroying property, dipping out of tabs everywhere, etc. Gave it all up about seven months ago and don't miss it.

Magic: The Gathering. Basically all I cared about or spent my money on in college. Had about six thousand dollars worth of cards and I've sold out of the game twice. I tried to get back into it again a year ago, but it is impossible to justify spending that much money on cardboard when you're trying to start a family. I'll probably never play again unless I get to a point where I'm absurdly comfortable with what I make.

Adonis, you were in Gallows, right? How'd that all end? What are you doing now?
theonefreeman
for your fucking health

Postby 198d__ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:14 am

The older I get, the less tolerance I have for anything "hipster," as douchey as that sounds. Last weekend my friend took me and another buddy to a bar where the theme was vintage arcade games. And if that doesn't make you roll your eyes, the big screen at the bar was playing a documentary about weed. Like, what's wrong with just putting on the Pistons game like a normal fucking bar? Everyone there was white and had awful facial hair. I sat outside just to get away from the noise.

I also don't care about going to shows or having any large portion of my life dedicated to the music scene. People who are in their mid-twenties and still caring about their presence in Hardcore are fucking sad and have no long term life goals. I seriously couldn't care less anymore and I only surround myself with my family and closest friends and I am happier because of it.

I watched the latest season of that show "easy" and I almost had to turn it off like 20 times because the liberal/I wanna do my passion as a job adventurist shit that makes my blood boil. I know it's fiction but it's an accurate representation of the type of people I've grown to loathe. Grow the fuck up and get a boring job like everyone else. Nothing is more disgusting than people trying to extend their youth.

Sorry for this dumb rant.

Also: fuck new-age Mexican restaurants who charge for chips and salsa.
198d__
Marxist Cosplayer

Postby RouletteSyndrome » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:23 am

theonefreeman wrote:Playing music. In my last band, one of the members was an alcoholic and another basically just refused to learn the songs. I was pissed off after every set we played and this thing that was supposed to be a source of fun in my life became a pit of anxiety. Our last show was at some fest to a decent-sized crowd and they actually played well, but I was still happy to see it end. I'll probably never be in a band again because I don't know too many people who would be interested in doing what I want to do.

Its been over six years since I was in an actual band. I've been trying to come to terms with the fact that part of my life is probably over but there's a part of me that doesn't want to let go. It was the only thing that ever gave me any real joy out of life.

But the last band I was in was very similar to what you described. At a certain point it stopped being fun and became just another thing to stress over. Then when we broke up I found out literally all the other members had started a new band and tried to hide it from me. They flat out refused to play with me and still to this day we've never really talked about it and I have no idea what happened. The thought of having to go through that again is a big reason why I havent been motivated to pursue the one fucking thing on the planet that makes me feel alive.
RouletteSyndrome

Postby krujones » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:24 am

198d__ wrote:The older I get, the less tolerance I have for anything "hipster," as douchey as that sounds. Last weekend my friend took me and another buddy to a bar where the theme was vintage arcade games. And if that doesn't make you roll your eyes, the big screen at the bar was playing a documentary about weed. Like, what's wrong with just putting on the Pistons game like a normal fucking bar? Everyone there was white and had awful facial hair. I sat outside just to get away from the noise.

I also don't care about going to shows or having any large portion of my life dedicated to the music scene. People who are in their mid-twenties and still caring about their presence in Hardcore are fucking sad and have no long term life goals. I seriously couldn't care less anymore and I only surround myself with my family and closest friends and I am happier because of it.

I watched the latest season of that show "easy" and I almost had to turn it off like 20 times because the liberal/I wanna do my passion as a job adventurist shit that makes my blood boil. I know it's fiction but it's an accurate representation of the type of people I've grown to loathe. Grow the fuck up and get a boring job like everyone else. Nothing is more disgusting than people trying to extend their youth.

This seems more like a "things i fucking hate" post than a "things I used to be really into but now Im not" post
krujones
BIG WANG THEORY

Postby 198d__ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:25 am

krujones wrote:
198d__ wrote:The older I get, the less tolerance I have for anything "hipster," as douchey as that sounds. Last weekend my friend took me and another buddy to a bar where the theme was vintage arcade games. And if that doesn't make you roll your eyes, the big screen at the bar was playing a documentary about weed. Like, what's wrong with just putting on the Pistons game like a normal fucking bar? Everyone there was white and had awful facial hair. I sat outside just to get away from the noise.

This seems more like a "things i fucking hate" post than a "things I used to be really into but now Im not" post

It evolved into that. The overall theme was that these were things, especially hardcore, that I was once all about.
198d__
Marxist Cosplayer

Postby 198d__ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:35 am

I was also straight edge for 7 years and I now think being it is the silliest thing in the world. Like, my friends who are edge and pushing 30...why? I am not being condescending. I genuinely want to understand why people feel it necessary to X up past the age of 22.
198d__
Marxist Cosplayer

Postby Apex Satanist » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:49 am

Skateboarding
Apex Satanist

Postby Pottymouth » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:55 am

I used to be pretty interested in photography, but now I couldn't really care less. So now I have a very nice set up for the gf and I to use once a year to take Christmas Card photos. I think my downfall was not thinking so highly of myself to consider actually charging people to snap pictures of them sitting outside of coffee shops and standing in fields.
Pottymouth

Postby Classic » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:02 am

Sucks to say this but music. I used to listen to so much music and buy so many records and CDs, and kept up with everything new. It’s a lot harder now and I’m definitely lazier about it. More often than not I’m like shit that’s already out? And it came out weeks ago or something. Usually I’m more inclined to put on something I love rather than listen and fully give the time to something new. Bad habit I’m trying to break I guess.
Classic

Postby Classic » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:03 am

Oh ya and gaming too like everyone else said
Classic

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:03 am

AFI
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Location: And then you have Kerry King who’s like ‘You see? You see these tribal tattoos?

Postby macho insecurity » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:03 am

198d__ wrote:I was also straight edge for 7 years and I now think being it is the silliest thing in the world. Like, my friends who are edge and pushing 30...why? I am not being condescending. I genuinely want to understand why people feel it necessary to X up past the age of 22.

who cares? doesn't affect you, doesn't affect me. frankly it sounds like you still care about it a lot.
macho insecurity
sucked his dad's dick for free

Next