Living in London (vs. Berlin)

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Booty Telegram » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:23 am

Has anyone here lived in London (UK, not ON)? How were you happy with the city and how did you find living there? I'm currently considering moving there and just wanted to get a few more opinions on it, since it's hard to say from relatively short visits. I just came back from a 9-day trip there and I loved it, especially the feeling of size compared to other European cities I've been in, but I've also heard the rent is really expensive (even if adjusted for higher salaries). Groceries seemed pretty cheap, though. Eating out also didn't seem too bad. But people do complain a lot about the price of living there, so I was just wondering if it's really that bad or if it's exaggerated.

The other city I'm considering is Berlin, so if anyone has lived or only been to both and has any input, that'd be great. I guess the one thing Berlin has is that it's cheaper and you can probably afford more stuff, even if the wages are lower. As far as stuff going on (shows, art), both cities seem to have tons. I've never actually been to Berlin, but I'm guessing (and so I've heard) it doesn't feel nearly as big as London.

Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated.
Booty Telegram

Postby macho insecurity » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:24 am

what citizenship do you currently hold? where do you currently live? how do you plan on obtaining a work visa?
macho insecurity
sucked his dad's dick for free

Postby earlyinthemorning » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:26 am

Spent some time in Berlin. Would drop my life and move to Berlin in a heartbeat, and I love where I'm at currently.
earlyinthemorning

Postby Adonis » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:41 am

from london, dont live there. Nice to visit sure, but its expensive, dirty, crowded and everyones miserable.

Berlins alright. Dont fancy Amsterdam? that would be my choice in europe, amsterdam or dublin.
Adonis

Postby Booty Telegram » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:54 am

why do NFL players smoke weed if there are rules? wrote:what citizenship do you currently hold? where do you currently live? how do you plan on obtaining a work visa?

I'm a EU citizen and I just moved back to Europe from the US. So I basically already have permission to work and live in either of those places without applying for any extra stuff.
Booty Telegram

Postby HOTDOGS_COMINURWAY » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:54 am

i spent about a month or 2 living on brick lane and seriously considered bailing on Prague and all of my stuff to live there forever. Berlin is cool too i guess, but I definitely prefer London
HOTDOGS_COMINURWAY

Postby Booty Telegram » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:00 pm

Adonis wrote:from london, dont live there. Nice to visit sure, but its expensive, dirty, crowded and everyones miserable.

Berlins alright. Dont fancy Amsterdam? that would be my choice in europe, amsterdam or dublin.

Dirty? Hmm, I didn't really get that impression, to be honest. Crowded is something I like, though. But I did find people in general to not be super friendly. And the drivers are insane. I've never had to be so careful not get run over as a pedestrian.

I've been to Amsterdam once, but only for a few days. Why'd you recommend it? I think it's a cool city, but it's smaller than both (the size turns me off, since I really want to move to a huge city), and it doesn't have the same amount of stuff going on. Dublin I know nothing about.
Booty Telegram

Postby stra_bust » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:01 pm

lived in London for the past three years, now I'm kind of over it and thinking about leaving to Berlin next year - it's not really sustainable to live here unless you've got a lot of spare cash but then again thats all dependent on the lifestyle you want to live...
stra_bust

Postby Booty Telegram » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:01 pm

HOTDOGS_COMINURWAY wrote:i spent about a month or 2 living on brick lane and seriously considered bailing on Prague and all of my stuff to live there forever. Berlin is cool too i guess, but I definitely prefer London

Yeah, that's in Shoreditch, right? I love that part of London. Did you work there, too, or what were you doing?
Booty Telegram

Postby Adonis » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:09 pm

while we are on the subject, Denmark just got voted the happiest place to live, due to free healthcare, awesome tax system, free university etc. copenhagen is a big, major city.

Norway and Oslo is amazing, but really fucking expensive.

I like Amsterdam because people are super friendly and i dunno, its just cute.

Grass is always greener though i guess, no matter where you live. follow your gut instinct.
Adonis

Postby SexGod123 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:05 pm

I'm a student in London and absolutely love the place. Moving there was the best decision I've ever made. However, people's criticisms are very legit, the place is goddamn expensive, a lot of the (affordable) housing can be pretty shit, and the work culture is intense. I'm currently in Japan for a year but I miss London every day. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't wanna work there though, being a student on the other hand is great though. I'm also lucky that I got to live fairly affordably five minutes from Kings cross station for two years in my universities halls of residence.
SexGod123

Postby Booty Telegram » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:04 pm

So if I'm getting this correctly, it seems London would be the more exciting city, it's just that if you don't have a good job or decent income, you're barely be scraping by, whereas with a comparable job in Berlin you'd be doing much better?
Booty Telegram

Postby Booty Telegram » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:05 pm

stra_bust wrote:lived in London for the past three years, now I'm kind of over it and thinking about leaving to Berlin next year - it's not really sustainable to live here unless you've got a lot of spare cash but then again thats all dependent on the lifestyle you want to live...

Are you also working in London? What part do you live in? And is it that you're having trouble getting by or more that you can't really save up as much as you'd like for, say, a house/apartment or something?
Booty Telegram

Postby Detlef Schrempf » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:46 pm

berlin sucks
Detlef Schrempf
nigga deutschland

Postby SexGod123 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:59 pm

Booty Telegram wrote:So if I'm getting this correctly, it seems London would be the more exciting city, it's just that if you don't have a good job or decent income, you're barely be scraping by, whereas with a comparable job in Berlin you'd be doing much better?

Living in London is doable on a normal wage, you just have to sacrifice a lot in my opinion. Living in a zone 2-3 flatshare can be pretty miserable if you end up sharing with dickheads. If you really wanna do it though I'd say go for it, London is my favourite city in the world (I come from a small city in the south of England and also spend a lot of time in Tokyo and Seoul in comparison).
SexGod123

Postby DUTCH MASTA KILLA » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:29 pm

Like mentioned before, it's not really sustainable unless you have a good job. I know plenty of people who have lived in London, but nobody can afford to stay. I find the more you're there the more you grow to hate it too.

I'd live in Berlin or Lisbon over London easily.
DUTCH MASTA KILLA

Postby HOTDOGS_COMINURWAY » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:54 pm

Shoreditch or whitechapel I cant recall exactly. One of my favorite things about London as a whole was that people seemed miserable. Thats my kind of party. That, and the markets are next to perfect. Authentic food from everywhere and cheap/stolen shit rules.

I was mostly coasting off my teacher money from Prague but had a couple offers to do food stuff. Kickin myself for leaving now
HOTDOGS_COMINURWAY

Postby stra_bust » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:03 am

Booty Telegram wrote:
stra_bust wrote:lived in London for the past three years, now I'm kind of over it and thinking about leaving to Berlin next year - it's not really sustainable to live here unless you've got a lot of spare cash but then again thats all dependent on the lifestyle you want to live...

Are you also working in London? What part do you live in? And is it that you're having trouble getting by or more that you can't really save up as much as you'd like for, say, a house/apartment or something?

Yeah I work for a record label, my pay is alright but once I've been taxed, paid rent, bills, council tax, monthly transport etc. I'm nearly living month to month and saving any substantial amount is pretty stressful.

I live in South East in New Cross but moving to East in the next few weeks. Basically I just want more space for my money and option to save cash to be able to travel more. Like someones mentioned, when I first moved here I loved it, but now I'm over it and looking for something different...
stra_bust