American Nightmare new album?

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby coffeeblack » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:09 am

They just posted a video on FB saying February. Link below

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanNIghtm ... 806796422/
coffeeblack

Postby ass eyes » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:18 am

ass eyes

Postby Toothbrush » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:33 am

Stoked.
Toothbrush

Postby Avoidance Learning » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:34 am

Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Location: And then you have Kerry King who’s like ‘You see? You see these tribal tattoos?

Postby taylorm » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:35 am

Sounds decent, but as a diehard AN fan their last few performances I’ve seen really took the wind out of my sails. Still glad to hear they’ve decided to try their hand at new material. I’m just not convinced they’ve got the audience for it anymore.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby Lil Meatsauce » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:42 am

will they be playing a hardcore cruise ship show in the near future?
Lil Meatsauce

Postby Endeliot » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:01 pm

I got real mixed emotions about this. I really loved seeing them in Atlanta last year and the year before and the sets were really fun, but looking back on the videos of them a lot of that energy was from me being so excited to see them/hear those songs again and less from them putting on a great performance. They played a newer song the last time I saw them and it was decent but didn't really thrill me, though obviously I wasn't familiar with it. This clip sounds good, but so far on bands I love releasing a new album over a decade later I'm 0/2. The new At The Drive In album was just mediocre and boring in general and shouldn't exist. And the last Refused record was possibly one of the worst missteps any band has ever made in my opinion. Just an awful, awful fucking record with legit no redeeming value at all.

The clip they posted sounds pretty cool, so I guess I'll be cautiously optimistic regarding this one. I almost kind of hope it's a 7 inch and not an entire new LP honestly.
Endeliot

Postby Pottymouth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:03 pm

shithead wrote:Sounds decent, but as a diehard AN fan their last few performances I’ve seen really took the wind out of my sails. Still glad to hear they’ve decided to try their hand at new material. I’m just not convinced they’ve got the audience for it anymore.

There is 100% an audience for a new American Nightmare record.

The question is whether Wes can deliver another American Nightmare record.

I'm thinking he's much too far removed from who he was back then.
Pottymouth

Postby nerd eater » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:03 pm

shithead wrote:Sounds decent, but as a diehard AN fan their last few performances I’ve seen really took the wind out of my sails. Still glad to hear they’ve decided to try their hand at new material. I’m just not convinced they’ve got the audience for it anymore.

Well-played, Clerks.
nerd eater
Skott's Friend

Postby chadinati » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:10 pm

Maybe I missed something, but it's crazy that Rise Records is putting this out.
chadinati

Postby creativexcover » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:14 pm

chadinati wrote:Maybe I missed something, but it's crazy that Rise Records is putting this out.

:smt017
creativexcover

Postby lajoie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:16 pm

Alex (AN's drummer) recorded it. His studio is great and he does all analog so I think the production is going to be really authentic and clear sounding which I like (i.e. it will probably sound great on vinyl).

Rise put out ATDI, Refused, etc....it makes sense that they would put out a band of AN's caliber.
lajoie

Postby taylorm » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:21 pm

nerd eater wrote:

Well-played, Clerks.

Unintentional pun.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby creativexcover » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:21 pm

So weird to think 7 Seconds and Man Overboard share the same label...and Five Finger Death Punch?
creativexcover

Postby taylorm » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:23 pm

Pottymouth wrote:

Their crowd at S&F seemed to think otherwise. Just saying.

Again, I'm glad they're doing this but the energy has been different. I think a lot of it would be remedied by getting two guitarists in the band again.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby Pottymouth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:39 pm

lajoie wrote:Alex (AN's drummer) recorded it. His studio is great and he does all analog so I think the production is going to be really authentic and clear sounding which I like (i.e. it will probably sound great on vinyl).

Rise put out ATDI, Refused, etc....it makes sense that they would put out a band of AN's caliber.

They also put out the new Movielife.
Pottymouth

Postby Pottymouth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:45 pm

shithead wrote:
Pottymouth wrote:

Again, I'm glad they're doing this but the energy has been different. I think a lot of it would be remedied by getting two guitarists in the band again.

It could also be remedied by playing their own shows instead of doing the festival circuit.

If they are serious, they will do a proper tour in non-rockstar venues.
Pottymouth

Postby chadinati » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:54 pm

I guess... I forever associate Rise with perpetuating that weird genre of metalcore with the Joey Sturgis recordings and band names that sound like they were generated from a parody website. Had no idea they had moved on to release other bands beyond that. After seeing on Wikipedia that they put out the bad newer records from old good bands it makes more sense. Hoping this AN joint changes that apparent track record.
chadinati

Postby taylorm » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:58 pm

Pottymouth wrote:
shithead wrote:
Pottymouth wrote:

It could also be remedied by playing their own shows instead of doing the festival circuit.

I agree for the most part, although I went to the two original reunion shows (Boston, LA), three of the 'second round' reunion shows (NYC, Oakland, FYF) and saw them in LA with The Trouble in '16 and while the crowd went off for the reunions, it was a very, very tame response with The Trouble. That might have had more to do with the venue though. Their set at S&F was sort of the capper on that.

Doing a stretch of shows in smaller, "punk/hardcore" venues would go a long way, I think, but if those dudes don't feel like they want to slum it anymore, I don't exactly blame them. I know they played Gilman recently, which is cool.

At any rate, it's their band and they can do what they see fit. I'm just a dork on the B9 traveling around to see them.
Last edited by taylorm on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby lala fuck you » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:59 pm

Bouncing souls is on rise
lala fuck you

Postby chadinati » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:00 pm

Also a friend of mine tattooed a kid that played keyboards in a band called emarosa (this was probably in 2009ish), when Rise signed them they apparently gave them a stipend to get sick tats, the kid was getting an outline of the Thursday dove tattooed on his wrist. His girlfriend got a matching one first on her ribs, then two lines into his he throws up in his own lap and left without paying.
chadinati

Postby Endeliot » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:06 pm

lajoie wrote:Alex (AN's drummer) recorded it. His studio is great and he does all analog so I think the production is going to be really authentic and clear sounding which I like (i.e. it will probably sound great on vinyl).

They actually didn't put out the Refused record, but they have been signing bigger "legacy" bands left and right so I wasn't surprised to see Rise putting this out.
Endeliot

Postby taylorm » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:08 pm

Pretty sure Rise did the Further Seems Forever record a few years back. One of few instances where a band gets back together and puts out a quality reunion record, in my opinion.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby Last Rites » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:13 pm

Hard pass
Last Rites

Postby Pottymouth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:51 pm

shithead wrote:
Pottymouth wrote:
shithead wrote:
Pottymouth wrote:

I agree for the most part, although I went to the two original reunion shows (Boston, LA), three of the 'second round' reunion shows (NYC, Oakland, FYF) and saw them in LA with The Trouble in '16 and while the crowd went off for the reunions, it was a very, very tame response with The Trouble. That might have had more to do with the venue though. Their set at S&F was sort of the capper on that.

Doing a stretch of shows in smaller, "punk/hardcore" venues would go a long way, I think, but if those dudes don't feel like they want to slum it anymore, I don't exactly blame them. I know they played Gilman recently, which is cool.

At any rate, it's their band and they can do what they see fit. I'm just a dork on the B9 traveling around to see them.

Totally Agree.

I caught them at Riot Fest a few years back and it was really disappointing seeing them in that kind of setting. I kind of wish I had skipped their set, but beggars can't be choosers.

So, my entirely selfish opinion is that it would be best for them to release the new album and go on a DIY tour with Kill Your Idols and The Hope Conspiracy.
Pottymouth

Postby xFarsidex » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:55 pm

Sounds good to me. Sure sounds better than American Uprise.
Bands recording new stuff are doing it right.
xFarsidex
Is actually taking recent celebrity deaths the hardest

Postby taylorm » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:55 pm

Is there beef between the AN camp and Tim? Or does Tim even still play in Hope Con?
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby Last Rites » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Hope Con isn't even a thing, so he's not involved with them.
Last Rites

Postby The Toxic Avenger » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:50 pm

I’m going to let my hopes fly high on this one. FUUUUCCCKKK YESSSSSSSSS.
The Toxic Avenger
stop me. you wont.

Postby wegotdome » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:51 pm

I'm skeptical of a new album, but I'm not opposed to the idea either.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using TheB9 mobile app
wegotdome

Postby Aesthetic » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:10 pm

Would rather have a new Some Girls record.
Aesthetic

Postby taylorm » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:16 pm

Aesthetic wrote:Would rather have a new Some Girls record.

taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby taylorm » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:17 pm

Last Rites wrote:Hope Con isn't even a thing, so he's not involved with them.

Hope Con is always a "thing", just only when those dudes want it to be.
Last edited by taylorm on Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby BoomSwaggerBoom » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:17 pm

Pottymouth wrote:So, my entirely selfish opinion is that it would be best for them to release the new album and go on a DIY tour with The Suicide File and The Hope Conspiracy.
BoomSwaggerBoom

Postby wronghometown » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:18 pm

That clip stinks. Sounds like AN covering motorhead lol
wronghometown

Postby KyACRASH » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:48 pm

shithead wrote:Is there beef between the AN camp and Tim? Or does Tim even still play in Hope Con?

Curious what happened to Tim also. Why did he stop playing the last couple years?
KyACRASH

Postby xAJXDx » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Saw them at several fests over the last few years. But in 2015 they played the Fun Fun Fun Nights; it was a small venue, maybe 75 people? It was insane, and the band was feeling it. I watched them earlier that same day in a fest element and it was a let down... but that night? Holy shit. In their element, they are still as stoked to play good shows.
xAJXDx

Postby turkitron » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:03 pm

I'm skeptical because I thought I read Tim wasn't playing with AN at the last few shows, which leads me to believe that he wouldn't be part of the writing the new album...?

But I thought the new American Football was pretty good. Maybe having a similar name and a similar timeline of releasing albums means it will be decent?
turkitron

Postby lajoie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:07 pm

Fests are always going to be terrible environments for any band. Especially a HC band, why is that a surprise for anyone? ATDI reunions at coachella and such were awful. Saw them at house of blues and I was blown away, Cedric dove into the crowd a few times. AN is no different, saw them at FYF fest in 2012 and then a bunch of small clubs. Club shows are always greater than fests.

It's a full album they are releasing (10 songs) on Rise in Feb.

Tim hasn't been in the band since 2014 or so? They kicked him out and went along as a 4 piece, it's been almost 3 years, why is this still news?

Hope con stuff:
Kevin is doing APMD and they just released a new killer record on southern lord. Nareej is doing a bunch of other bands as well. Tim was in Hope con for 3 years I think (05-08) and I don't think he was apart of any of the song writing (correct me if I am wrong). I think Hope Con would play TIH or something, but I doubt they would tour again.
lajoie

Postby Shaggy X Age » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:14 pm

lala fuck you wrote:Bouncing souls is on rise

Also put out the last two hot water music records
Shaggy X Age

Postby taylorm » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Is Nareej related to Neeraj?

:smt004

And I get that about fests, but I've seen them in smaller clubs since the original reunion shows (The Echoplex in LA, The Metro in Oakland) and I stand by the 'energy is different' claim.

I'll still go see them and dig the new record, I'm sure. Just a personal observation.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby Scumontherun » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:16 pm

creativexcover wrote:
chadinati wrote:Maybe I missed something, but it's crazy that Rise Records is putting this out.

If its any label other then bridge nine/deathwish/epitaph that i wont give it chance especially if its a label like rise :smt018
Scumontherun

Postby turkitron » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:36 pm

lajoie wrote: I don't think he was apart of any of the song writing (correct me if I am wrong)

I definitely don't know, but always assumed he was at least a major contributor since I always thought the riffs sounded like darker TYF riffs. That's really the only basis of my assumption and source of my hesitation.
turkitron

Postby vivaXhate » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:41 pm

The Hope Conspiracy needs to do something. Now there's a flawless discography and a new record by them is by my perception always a guarantee unlike many bands that are on hiatus.

If and when Fugazi comes back, they'll put out something amazing. Still waiting for it..

New AN record is not that exciting for me tbh. I'm wondering about the lyrics, what can he sing about nowadays? So many years have passed and clearly he is not in the same head space and neither are we (the "old fans") so I'm expecting something different that has power and rawness albeit I don't know what will feed it. I'm curious about it. I think the music will be alright Brian Masek is solid and Alex 's drumming have always been good.
vivaXhate

Postby Adonis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:53 pm

Scumontherun wrote:
creativexcover wrote:

If its any label other then bridge nine/deathwish/epitaph that i wont give it chance especially if its a label like rise :smt018

LOL, take your head outta your arse. Rise owner is probably just fans of the band same as all the other legacy acts they have signed recently. As if the logo on the back of the album artwork has any impact at all on the record AN themselves will make.

Thats not how this works. I hope the records great, but if it sucks, it wont be because of the record label logo on the artwork dude.
Adonis

Postby swornxin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:14 pm

Hoping they can capture some of what they released on the older albums for this. I'll obviously be checking it out.
swornxin

Postby WeDealInLead » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:34 am

turkitron wrote:
lajoie wrote: I don't think he was apart of any of the song writing (correct me if I am wrong)

I definitely don't know, but always assumed he was at least a major contributor since I always thought the riffs sounded like darker TYF riffs. That's really the only basis of my assumption and source of my hesitation.

He and the singer are the only original members so this is a pretty accurate assessment, especially when it comes to early stuff. AN is tuned half a step lower but riffs are very similar.
WeDealInLead

Postby radiatedradiation » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:31 am

Not excited to hear this based on that video.....
radiatedradiation

Postby Kenny Fury » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:42 am

The Hope Conspiracy is one of my favorite bands ever, but when they toured for Death Knows Your Name, their set/intensity/not remembering how to play my favorite songs was one of the biggest let downs ever.

Some things have a time and a place and a special place in your heart, and don't need to be dragged on forever and tarnished. That was a cool time in hardcore. Accept that it is gone and move on.
Kenny Fury

Postby lajoie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:45 am

WeDealInLead wrote:
turkitron wrote:

He and the singer are the only original members so this is a pretty accurate assessment, especially when it comes to early stuff. AN is tuned half a step lower but riffs are very similar.

Are we talking about Hope Con or AN? Tim was not an OG member of Hope Con.

shithead wrote:Is Nareej related to Neeraj?

:smt004

Lol, yes, Typo....

I punished Neeraj before. He seriously wrote some of my favorite riffs. SF and HC from that man are :smt023
lajoie

Next