Rolling Stone: Stories from the Edge

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby bobnewby » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:07 am

I've never really stopped to appreciate 60's/70's rock before this documentary.

That Beatles or Stones question has always been wasted on me. Like, I jam in the car to Purple Haze when it comes on the radio but I don't have Jimi Hendrix in my library. But holy fuck, I felt something new when I heard Tina Turner singing in this goddamn documentary! I can't believe I've never soaked up her music before. Anyway, it's another pretty interesting HBO doc. I think having all that context made me understand the music better.

BUUUUUUT....can anyone suggest a world's best ultimate alpha omega master compilation of 60's/70's rock? I'd like to buy something I could gift to my mom for her birthday. She always talks about how much she loved bands like Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones when she was a teenager, but I've never seen music really be a part of her life. She's been a Kelly Clarkson mom for as long as I've known her. It'd be nice to find an anthology that we could connect over while both discovering new music.
bobnewby