Another mass shooting

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby b andrus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:18 am

BeatOffTheBrat wrote:
I feel like maybe we should treat any news outlet that focuses on this shit personably responsible for terrorism

I00% agree with you
b andrus
barely passed library school

Postby krujones » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:30 am

I've been saying it for years. These people get turned into rock stars when they're put on magazine covers and newspapers for weeks.

Like when the Boston Marathon Bomber's face was on the cover of Rolling Stone. I don't want to see these asshole's faces. Show them when they are identified and then shun them
krujones
BIG WANG THEORY

Postby blackapache » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:12 am

NRA's gonna have a field day with the fact that there was a dude IN the church exchanging rifle fire with the shooter.
blackapache

Postby krujones » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:17 am

The fact that the solution of millions is "MORE GUNS" is sickening
krujones
BIG WANG THEORY

Postby nerd eater » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:17 am

"It's not a gun issue, it's a mental health issue." - el Presidente
nerd eater
Skott's Friend

Postby krujones » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:20 am

Same president that took away restrictions blocking the mentally ill from purchasing firearms because Obama
krujones
BIG WANG THEORY

Postby Pottymouth » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:17 am

Yeah, I mean if they want to go ahead and fix the whole lack of access to mental health resources in this country then good, use that as the excuse for why this keeps happening, but they aren't going to do that.
Pottymouth

Postby creativexcover » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:52 am

Guy got denied a gun license?
creativexcover

Postby blackhawks#1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:03 am

Has anyone blamed Obama yet? Maybe for letting him in the military in the first place and teaching him how to use guns. Just spitballing here
blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby The More You Know » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:40 am

The More You Know

Postby taylorm » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:42 am

The More You Know wrote:https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/half-mast-initiative

Solid first post.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby krujones » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:42 am

This administration doesn't give a fuck about your petition
krujones
BIG WANG THEORY

Postby chugging_pus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:50 am

I am curious what you all propose as the solution?? What is the new gun law that can stop this? Honestly want to know, not even being a rhetorical dickhead.

I honestly don't believe you can stop a criminal from being a criminal, mentally ill or not. They will get a gun by illegal means and cause the same carnage. So how do you stop this? Buy back program? Criminals won't sell theirs back. And if they do they'll find out where to get more. Ban rifles and magazines? If someone is intending to kill they likely won't walk into a gun store for their weapon. So what's the solution to make us all feel like there's no possibly way for a bad person to do bad things???

Armed guards at every conceivable event or gathering????
chugging_pus

Postby Czarsy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:54 pm

chugging_pus wrote:I am curious what you all propose as the solution?? What is the new gun law that can stop this? Honestly want to know, not even being a rhetorical dickhead.

I honestly don't believe you can stop a criminal from being a criminal, mentally ill or not. They will get a gun by illegal means and cause the same carnage. So how do you stop this? Buy back program? Criminals won't sell theirs back. And if they do they'll find out where to get more. Ban rifles and magazines? If someone is intending to kill they likely won't walk into a gun store for their weapon. So what's the solution to make us all feel like there's no possibly way for a bad person to do bad things???

Armed guards at every conceivable event or gathering????

The only solution is praying and thinking. No point in trying anything because we KNOW it won't work!

Spoken like a true Republican.
Czarsy

Postby Ortho Stice » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:05 pm

chugging_pus wrote:If someone is intending to kill they likely won't walk into a gun store for their weapon.

Name a mass shooter from the past six months that illegally obtained their weapon or used a weapon that was stolen.

If I'm an angry man who wants to kill a ton of people in the US the absolute EASIEST way to do it is to buy a magazine fed, semi-automatic rifle and a bunch of big magazines and ammo. You can post like "what about Mcveigh???" Or some disingenuous shit, but building a fertilizer bomb requires more money, more knowledge, and more planning. Or maybe you'll bring up truck attacks which are also easy but require a crowd in an area accessible by vehicle, so there is less opportunity.

The AR15 was designed to kill Russian paratroopers during WWIII, you don't need one and if you want to own one, you should be required to jump through some serious hoops to do so.
Ortho Stice

Postby blackhawks#1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:07 pm

Ortho Stice wrote:
chugging_pus wrote:If someone is intending to kill they likely won't walk into a gun store for their weapon.

Name a mass shooter from the past six months that illegally obtained their weapon or used a weapon that was stolen.

If I'm an angry man who wants to kill a ton of people in the US the absolute EASIEST way to do it is to buy a magazine fed, semi-automatic rifle and a bunch of big magazines and ammo. You can post like "what about Mcveigh???" Or some disingenuous shit, but building a fertilizer bomb requires more money, more knowledge, and more planning. Or maybe you'll bring up truck attacks which are also easy but require a crowd in an area accessible by vehicle, so there is less opportunity.

The AR15 was designed to kill Russian paratroopers during WWIII, you don't need one and if you want to own one, you should be required to jump through some serious hoops to do so.

i saw two people post pictures of themselves holding ARs on Instagram over the weekend (right before this happened). all i could do was roll my eyes.

all i'm looking for is for people to stop being selfish pricks and enact common sense firearm laws. if a jurisdiction already has those, great. i'm not naive enough to think people won't do whatever they want when it comes down to it, but evidence has shown that it would be helpful to make it more difficult to buy these weapons
blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby creativexcover » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Ortho Stice wrote:

Period.
creativexcover

Postby I gave you power » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:12 pm

chugging_pus wrote:
I honestly don't believe you can stop a criminal from being a criminal, mentally ill or not.

England, Australia, Japan and plenty of other first-world countries have ZERO of these types of crimes. Zero. So "I don't believe you can stop it" is garbage.

There is no one solution and there is no easy solution -- especially because of the sheer amount of guns in circulation already and the conservative parties outright refusal to stand up to the NRA lobby -- but I am so sick of hearing "WHAT CAN WE REALLY DO!?!??!" as a valid response to these events.
I gave you power

Postby Spider Jerusalem » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:16 pm

just going to point out that they did increase federal regulations on fertilizer purchases after the Oklahoma City Bombing. but yep, nothing we can do about guns.
Spider Jerusalem

Postby krujones » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:18 pm

And ONE singular dude tried to get on a plane with explosives in his shoe and now every god damn person has to take off their shoes to get on a plane
krujones
BIG WANG THEORY

Postby Czarsy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:36 pm

Ain't nothin in the CONSTITUTION about the right to wear shoes and buy fertilizer!
Czarsy

Postby xNameHatex » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:54 pm

Has a photo of the shooter wearing a fedora surfaced yet?
xNameHatex

Postby Avoidance Learning » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Spider Jerusalem wrote:just going to point out that they did increase federal regulations on fertilizer purchases after the Oklahoma City Bombing. but yep, nothing we can do about guns.

Sorry about that y'all.
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Location: And then you have Kerry King who’s like ‘You see? You see these tribal tattoos?

Postby bobcat » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:36 pm

my shoes smell like fertilizer :smt045
bobcat

Postby The Toxic Avenger » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:42 pm

redneck coworkers are already on with conspiracy theories and “it just doesn’t make sense” bullshit
The Toxic Avenger
stop me. you wont.

Postby creativexcover » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:56 pm

there were 6 gunmen, all of them wore antifa flags, huge ones, they actually were screaming "Guns arent the problem, we are!!!!"
creativexcover

Postby blackhawks#1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Apparently this needs to be fixed:
under federal law, anyone convicted of "a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year" is prohibited from possessing a firearm. The same is true for anyone convicted of "a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence."

Kelley's conviction qualified under both categories, Christensen says.

There are some "gaping holes" in the current background check system, as NPR's Danielle Kurtzleben reported last year, which can allow people who should fail background checks to buy guns anyway.

Kelley purchased four guns over a four-year period, according to federal officials; all those purchases were made after his court-martial conviction.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... ent=202806
blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby creativexcover » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:31 pm

All this talk, analyzing and connecting dots. We'll be back in this thread or another new one in a week or two. Nothing will be different.
creativexcover

Postby AThrenody » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:40 pm

Media needs to stop giving attention to the actual person doing the crimes. It makes him live in infamy and gives others a "goal" to do similar things. If everyone just said "Yep person was a shithead and did a terrible thing" and that was all that was spoke directly about the person maybe every person causing these tragedies wouldn't be incentivized.
AThrenody

Postby creativexcover » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:42 pm

I wonder how many people can name a murderer, and not name any of their victims.

"Death of one is a tragedy, the death of millions is just a statistic"
creativexcover

Postby gman EB » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:48 pm

creativexcover wrote:
Ortho Stice wrote:

Period.

But it's their right, god damn it!
gman EB

Postby creativexcover » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:50 pm

The loss of a right beats the loss of an innocent life
creativexcover

Postby Killedbyschool » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Oh shit, turns out the real culprit for this mass shooting was...the Air Force?!
Killedbyschool

Postby rowdiedondown » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:06 pm

creativexcover wrote:The loss of a right beats the loss of an innocent life

I never know when you’re joking....
rowdiedondown

Postby fuck lambgoat » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:06 pm

NPR said he was discharged for assaulting his wife and infant step kid. He cracked the babys skull. Then he got in trouble again for animal abuse. Fuck that guy
fuck lambgoat
this guy LOVES lambgoat

Postby BeatOffTheBrat » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:04 pm

has president BAYBAYYYYYY done/said anything yet or is he too busy feeding fish too much
BeatOffTheBrat

Postby Spider Jerusalem » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:08 pm

BeatOffTheBrat wrote:has president BAYBAYYYYYY done/said anything yet or is he too busy feeding fish too much

he tweeted some bullshit about it being a mental health issue.
Spider Jerusalem

Postby PiranhaSauna » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:40 am

AThrenody wrote:Media needs to stop giving attention to the actual person doing the crimes. It makes him live in infamy and gives others a "goal" to do similar things. If everyone just said "Yep person was a shithead and did a terrible thing" and that was all that was spoke directly about the person maybe every person causing these tragedies wouldn't be incentivized.

I agree, but you know human's curious nature will never see to it that this ever happens.
PiranhaSauna
doesn't understand the Bill of Rights

Postby joffrey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:37 am

So an omnipotent being refuses to stop 26 murders in HIS house but if a few teenagers get drunk in mine its my fault. GOT IT.
joffrey

Postby The Toxic Avenger » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:10 am

I don’t see the point of even having news if you severely limit the information about the perpetuators. The name, motive, etc are all important things to understand a tragedy and should be available to the public. You can’t stop reporting important information because you think crime is going to inspire more crime.
The Toxic Avenger
stop me. you wont.

Postby PaulKersey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:07 am

Yeah, I never really understood that angle. While I think the media does have a major responsibility to rein in excessive coverage of these wastes of life (that fuckin Tsarnaev brother on the cover of Rolling Stone was probably the biggest blunder I can imagine), they should release the information. Someone who is that fucked up or has a severe mental illness like that isnt going to be dissuaded by a lack of media coverage. They will still get the attention far and wide; look how tiny Sutherland Springs is. Shithead would probably be satisfied enough that he devastated that small region.
PaulKersey

Postby b andrus » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:33 am

The "news" isn't out to provide information. They package this stuff in a way that they want people to stay glued to it as long as possible. They take real events and make it a reality show to keep people hooked as long as possible. They are an industry that makes money on eyeballs being glued on them. This event is a perfect example. One outlet knew and released the shooters name very fast and they raced to be the first. Other places dragged it out much later because they wanted to keep people waiting for updates.

Am I here in upstate Ny really missing anything if I didn't know about this in exchange for the shooting not getting days of news coverage?
b andrus
barely passed library school

Postby PaulKersey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:46 am

Perfect example. Someone just posted in the Trump thread something about Devos resigning (??). Went to find some info on it on the NYT website. All I see are articles and op-eds on the shooter. It's excessive.
PaulKersey

Postby radiatedradiation » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:26 am

I was at the barbershop yesterday and this old timer was talking about the guns he owns and the second amendment, saying that the second amendment exists not just for owning firearms but for overthrowing the government if necessary. I feel like there are a ton of people who don't want this legislation just based on this idea. You have no chance of overthrowing this government we have the biggest military budget in the world bro youre gonna get fucking drone bombed
radiatedradiation

Postby judge smails » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:30 am

Eh nothing’s gonna change. After the Vegas shooting I think it was John aoliver who made the point that things don’t change because for pro gun people, the 2nd amendment is their top priority whereas anti gun people get riled up for a few days following a shooting and then move on. And then you have the goddamn NRA, which is a whole other can of worms...
judge smails

Postby PaulKersey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:31 am

radiatedradiation wrote:I was at the barbershop yesterday and this old timer was talking about the guns he owns and the second amendment, saying that the second amendment exists not just for owning firearms but for overthrowing the government if necessary. I feel like there are a ton of people who don't want this legislation just based on this idea. You have no chance of overthrowing this government we have the biggest military budget in the world bro youre gonna get fucking drone bombed

The response to that from the gun crowd is that the military would ditch their posts and join the people in overthrowing the government. When I saw someone on Twitter make the argument you just did, the gun dude replied "Yeah and what do you think drones are operated by robots???" as if the drone operators would also take part in this revolution.
PaulKersey

Postby krujones » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:31 am

The NRA is a terrorist organization as far as I'm concerned
krujones
BIG WANG THEORY

Postby CJStirn » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:50 am

PaulKersey wrote:Perfect example. Someone just posted in the Trump thread something about Devos resigning (??). Went to find some info on it on the NYT website. All I see are articles and op-eds on the shooter. It's excessive.

The devos thing is just rumored right now
CJStirn

Postby 198d__ » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:30 am

t.doomhammer wrote:On the bright side, it was a church in Texas, which should hit very close to home for the thoughts and prayers crowd. Maybe close to home enough for those stupid fucks to maybe do something about our very broken gun control system.

This post is ban-worthy IMO. This is your brain on neo-liberalism.
198d__
Marxist Cosplayer

Postby krujones » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:32 am

LOL ban worthy?
krujones
BIG WANG THEORY

PreviousNext