Board Games lets discuss

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby J.o. » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:16 am

Pandemic is awesome, good co-op game.

As for classics, nothing beats Fireball Island.
J.o.

Postby ernest787 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:49 pm

I love board gaming. I've gone to BGG con in the spring the last few years and am actually going on the BGG cruise next year to Alaska.

I don't play many 2 player games but here are a couple that work well at 2 players:

Flick Em Up - fun dexterity game that has a western theme. Super thematic. Can play it as 2 players or up to like 8.

Zombicide - co-op game where you just slay hordes of zombies. You can technically play this solo or up to 6.

Fuse - co-op game. You are trying to defuse bombs and only have 10 minutes to complete the task. Game is super stressful but a lot of fun.

Star Wars Rebellion - be prepared to spend 4ish hours the first time on this, but holy crap does it do a great job of simulating the Star Wars universe. One of my favorite games of all time.

TIME Stories - this plays up to 4 players, but can be played with 2. You are detectives sent back in time to solve a case. The base game includes a single story but you can buy additional stories.

Also: Posted this is the thread about blowing money, but I just purchased a board game table and am super stoked for it to arrive.
ernest787

Postby Spider Jerusalem » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:58 pm

found that british board game i played as a kid.

Spider Jerusalem

Postby kennethfoxcastle » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:24 pm

Anyone pick up betrayal at baldurs gate?
kennethfoxcastle

Postby orangeade » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:47 pm

FIRST BORN PHARAOH'S SON wrote:CATAN.

settlers of catan expansion pack with the ships and pirate.
orangeade

Postby Alex 2K » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:48 pm

SEAFARERS
Alex 2K

Postby The Great Hambino » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:37 am

Spoiler: show
ernest787 wrote:I love board gaming. I've gone to BGG con in the spring the last few years and am actually going on the BGG cruise next year to Alaska.

I don't play many 2 player games but here are a couple that work well at 2 players:

Flick Em Up - fun dexterity game that has a western theme. Super thematic. Can play it as 2 players or up to like 8.

Zombicide - co-op game where you just slay hordes of zombies. You can technically play this solo or up to 6.

Fuse - co-op game. You are trying to defuse bombs and only have 10 minutes to complete the task. Game is super stressful but a lot of fun.

Star Wars Rebellion - be prepared to spend 4ish hours the first time on this, but holy crap does it do a great job of simulating the Star Wars universe. One of my favorite games of all time.

TIME Stories - this plays up to 4 players, but can be played with 2. You are detectives sent back in time to solve a case. The base game includes a single story but you can buy additional stories.

Also: Posted this is the thread about blowing money, but I just purchased a board game table and am super stoked for it to arrive.

I have a few friends that normally head to BGG con, but I can never make it. Are you planning on Gencon this year? Did you go with a boardgametables.com table? I was looking at them earlier this week, but by the time I included all the drawers, cup holders, toppers, etc. I was looking at a $3k+ table.
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby ernest787 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:01 am

I've never been to Gencon. I live in Dallas so the BGGcon is super easy for me. Doesn't require to much planning or expense.

I did not go with boardgametables.com. I was looking at those and a few other sites but didn't want to spend that much. I also looked at making my own, but I have like zero skill in that area and was afraid of taking on too big of a project.

Ultimately, I found Game Anywhere tables. They were doing a new kickstarter. It's a portable table that folds up but includes all the stuff you would get with a traditional game table. It's perfect for me. I can put it away when not using it and it wont' take up too much space. I can also take it to my families house when we do game days or whatever.

It won't get to me until December most likely but I'm still pretty stoked.
ernest787

Postby weezinghaze » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:08 am

I work at a game/comic store. While magic is my main game, i started diving into board games. My play group were gaming noobs and didn't know anything about games that weren't scrabble etc. I've been easing them in with solid gateway games like Catan, ticket to ride, king domino, love letter, sushi go! and more. The new catan expansion came out, legend of the sea robbers. I demo'd it at gencon and it was great. I get my games at cost, so if you're ever in Chicago and want the hook up just lemme know :smt006
weezinghaze

Postby Fester » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:16 am

I'd play Magic if I wasn't a big stupid dumb dumb/a big idiot. That Bloodborne one seems cool too
Fester

Postby Anti-todo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:22 am

Has Stone Age been mentioned yet? Only played once but it's a blast. I saw a game called Puerto Rico a while ago and was psyched to get it until I read the back. Basically a native slave trade game.
Anti-todo

Postby The Great Hambino » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:27 am

Anti-todo wrote:Has Stone Age been mentioned yet? Only played once but it's a blast. I saw a game called Puerto Rico a while ago and was psyched to get it until I read the back. Basically a native slave trade game.

That is one of the worst descriptions for Puerto Rico I've ever heard, which is unfortunate because it is easily a Top 10 game.

Puerto Rico is a classic worker placement game. You assume the role of a Governor and you're really just building/growing your civilization. You grow different crops to export and earn points. Certain crops are easier to grow while other are more complicated. The more complicated crops are worth more points, but require a larger investment in terms of available resources.
Last edited by The Great Hambino on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby Fester » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:28 am

Anti-todo wrote:Has Stone Age been mentioned yet? Only played once but it's a blast. I saw a game called Puerto Rico a while ago and was psyched to get it until I read the back. Basically a native slave trade game.

Da fuck?

I once saw this prison sim game at Office Depot where you had to be ruthless with prisoners. The game description was disgusting. Like glorifying prison abuse. Wdf?
Fester

Postby weezinghaze » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:53 pm

The Great Hambino wrote:

That is one of the worst descriptions for Puerto Rico I've ever heard, which is unfortunate because it is easily a Top 10 game.

Puerto Rico is a classic worker placement game. You assume the role of a Governor and you're really just building/growing your civilization. You grow different crops to export and earn points. Certain crops are easier to grow while other are more complicated. The more complicated crops are worth more points, but require a larger investment in terms of available resources.

So it's kinda like a more grindy catan? Which is something I can get behind
weezinghaze

Postby The Great Hambino » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:15 pm

weezinghaze wrote:
The Great Hambino wrote:

So it's kinda like a more grindy catan? Which is something I can get behind

Kinda, but without the dice role component. The game is 100% strategy based (which I love) and removes the need for Jimmy to roll a 6 so I can get two brick.

I seriously cannot say enough good things about this game. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3076/puerto-rico
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby ernest787 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:09 pm

I've never played Puerto Rico but sounds like something I might be into. I really enjoy the "crunchy" games. My wife hates that kind of stuff so I don't get to play them as often as I would like.
ernest787

Postby The Great Hambino » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:11 pm

Check out Terra Mystica! We're reviewing it on tomorrow's debut episode of a board game podcast my friends are I are doing.

Shameless plug - Like "The Board Boys Podcast" on Facebook!
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby IronFistedFuckUp » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:21 pm

my friends and i play mysterium quite often, its good fun so long as everyone understands how to play. Im gonna have to look into some of these suggestions, they sounds awesome.
IronFistedFuckUp

Postby ernest787 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Anyone here back the 7th Continent kickstarter?

I kind of want it but probably should spend the money after buying that table.
ernest787

Postby The Great Hambino » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:30 am

ernest787 wrote:Anyone here back the 7th Continent kickstarter?

I kind of want it but probably should spend the money after buying that table.

You know I did! I also backed the new Joan of Arc game that looks DOPE.

Also my board game podcast is now live! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 32817?mt=2
Give it a listen to hear our thoughts on the game Terra Mystica!
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby donnie_d3 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:09 am

is cards against humanity the gayest thing since charades?
donnie_d3

Postby The Great Hambino » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:44 am

We just put our second episode of this board game podcast I'm doing on iTunes. We added a contest for a free board game on this week's episode.

Episode Summary:
This week the boys tackled Clank! by Renegade Game Studios with help from local IT guru and vintage video game collector, Adam Faircloth. The group burgled deep down into a dungeon, desperately digging for loot while avoiding a rather fierce dragon.

The boys also introduce a contest to win a free board game and expansion. Listen to this week's episode for more details!

Soundcloud URL - https://soundcloud.com/theboardboyspodcast
Stitcher URL - https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-board-boys-podcast
iTunes URL - https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... mpt=uo%3D4
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby powerviolins » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Played Pandemic for the first time and that game is fun! So is Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards, I like all the different creatures and spell combos. Played the Bloodborne board game recently too, that wasn't bad.
powerviolins

Postby The Great Hambino » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:18 pm

powerviolins wrote:Played Pandemic for the first time and that game is fun! So is Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards, I like all the different creatures and spell combos. Played the Bloodborne board game recently too, that wasn't bad.

Epic Spell Wars is my go-to party game. We get really into it and bust out the Harry Potter wands we bought last year.
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby NALYD. » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:41 pm

Does anyone play D&D? I got hooked on the adventure zone podcast and am trying to get people together to play
NALYD.

Postby turkitron » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:56 pm

Can telestrations be posted in here? Judas Priest I'm obsessed with that game.
turkitron

Postby Two for Flinching » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:14 pm

fuck lambgoat wrote:
Spoiler: show

also does DND count as a board game?
Two for Flinching

Postby BRICK_FLAIR » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:39 pm

J.o. wrote:Pandemic is awesome, good co-op game

No. Fuck that game.
BRICK_FLAIR

Postby Erebos » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:40 pm

I like board games but whenever I tried playing with one group of friends that played a bunch of them, they always had to explain _ALL_ the rules to me and whoever else was learning, then get mad anytime we didn't remember all the rules the whole time throughout the first time we actually played. Like...wtf? Are most groups you find at a hobby store like this? I'm more of a learn by doing, not by sitting there for 45 minutes and trying to immediately memorize the rules in one full go, type of guy.

I always wanted to play those horror board games like the HP Lovecraft branded ones. I forgot the names but there's a bunch of them.
Erebos

Postby Head Trauma » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:11 am

Bang! is a pretty good one.
Head Trauma

Postby The Great Hambino » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:23 am

BRICK_FLAIR wrote:
J.o. wrote:Pandemic is awesome, good co-op game

No. Fuck that game.

Nice to see you still have awful opinions. Pandemic fucking rules. We're starting a Pandemic Legacy group next Tuesday.
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby The Great Hambino » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:24 am

Erebos wrote:I like board games but whenever I tried playing with one group of friends that played a bunch of them, they always had to explain _ALL_ the rules to me and whoever else was learning, then get mad anytime we didn't remember all the rules the whole time throughout the first time we actually played. Like...wtf? Are most groups you find at a hobby store like this? I'm more of a learn by doing, not by sitting there for 45 minutes and trying to immediately memorize the rules in one full go, type of guy.

I always wanted to play those horror board games like the HP Lovecraft branded ones. I forgot the names but there's a bunch of them.

Eldritch Horror, Arkham Horror, Arkham Horror - The Card Game, Mansions of Madness (the best one)
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby The Great Hambino » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:15 am

Target was having a Buy Two Get One Free sale this week so I nabbed Caverna, Zomicide: Black Plague and Time Stories. The selection in store is pretty good and they also have a lot of heavier games on their website.
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby chugging_pus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:28 am

Want to open a bar where the playing boards are painted on naked women and you pay per half hour. Also optional is you play a board game against a naked gal.

Or you just pay them for a lap dance and thru the pants hummer.
chugging_pus

Postby chugging_pus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:34 am

In the 60's there was a game called "What Shall I Be?" made for girls. Careers offered were model, actor, ballet, airline attendant, nurse, charm school, etc.

Lawyer, doctor, not in this game!
chugging_pus

Postby weezinghaze » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:56 pm

This showed up at my shop and I was beyond stoked. I hope it doesn’t suck

weezinghaze

Postby lurkin hard or hardly lur » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:00 am

I played a game of the new Legend of the Five Rings reboot and loved it. anyone else play?
lurkin hard or hardly lur

Postby weezinghaze » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:06 am

lurkin hard or hardly lur wrote:I played a game of the new Legend of the Five Rings reboot and loved it. anyone else play?

I thought about it since there’s a pretty good following at my lgs. the only ffg game I mess with is Star Wars destiny, which great btw.
weezinghaze

Postby Alex 2K » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:15 am

weezinghaze wrote:This showed up at my shop and I was beyond stoked. I hope it doesn’t suck

LMK
Alex 2K

Postby No Doz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:50 am

classic / obvious but i'm super into scrabble. play it constantly
No Doz

Postby NALYD. » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:44 am

weezinghaze wrote:This showed up at my shop and I was beyond stoked. I hope it doesn’t suck

Davis, where do you work?
NALYD.

Postby The Great Hambino » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:56 am

New episode of The Board Boys Podcast went up today. We tackled Eclipse. Our friend Dustin joined us and talked about his pet mini-pig and a new children's book he is working on. One of the dudes also decided to throw in a free copy of Zooloretto with a new contest this episode. Details are available in the podcast.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 32817?mt=2
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby weezinghaze » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:35 am

NALYD. wrote:
Davis, where do you work?

Pastimes comics and games :smt006
weezinghaze

Postby Marcabre back from dead » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:03 am

The lady and I picked up some boardgames this last weekend. Small World is a blast.
Marcabre back from dead

Postby The Great Hambino » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:57 am

Hoping everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Episode Four is available now for download on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud and now Google Play Music!

Somehow we're already closing in on 500 downloads which is absolutely blowing my mind!

We played Viticulture this episode and had a blast making wine, drinking wine and scoring points along the way. We talk about about our favorite games to play around the holidays, talk about the cons of looking like a pervert and introduce a new contest for a free copy of Oh My Goods!

iTunes page - https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... odcast/i...
Stitcher page - https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-board-boys-podcast
SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/theboardboyspodcast
Google Play Music - https://play.google.com/music/listen?au ... miw7qv23...
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

Postby jblaze » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:14 pm

In
jblaze

Postby jblaze » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Grabbed this, art by Gorey was the clincher. Prob just gonna be me and the old lady, anyone tried it?

jblaze

Postby lewdson.v2 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:27 pm

jblaze wrote:Grabbed this, art by Gorey was the clincher. Prob just gonna be me and the old lady, anyone tried it?

This reminds me of the art style of that game Neverending Nightmares; looks cool.
lewdson.v2

Postby More War » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:04 pm

I've got a solid group of friends who game weekly. Currently we are making our way through Risk: Legacy. Unfortunately, Wizards of the Coast sent use a mispackaged box, so all the goodies were spoiled by game two. Still worth it though.
By far, my favorite game I've played is Pandemic: Legacy, it's so intense towards the end.
More War

Postby The Great Hambino » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:06 am

Yo heads up - We're giving away a free copy of Mansions of Madness when our new episode drops this upcoming Thursday. All the details will be available on our Facebook page here - https://www.facebook.com/TheBoardBoysPodcast
The Great Hambino
Crutch Superfan

PreviousNext