Have you or anyone you know been in a cult?

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby eyeforaneye » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:46 pm

Are you still in one?
eyeforaneye
B9 USER JESSE. IS DEAD

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:49 pm

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower. You have more fun as a follower. But make more money as a leader.
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie

Postby creativexcover » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:51 pm

^ Go on...
creativexcover

Postby !azzip » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:54 pm

I do crossfit with xpatx
!azzip
Mind the d, ladies

Postby taylorm » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:21 pm

I used to work with a girl who belonged to a religion/cult that had a bunch of different names. She joined because she fell in love with a guy in high school whose family was involved, so she got into it. They referred to it as "The Way" and apparently they didn't so much live by Jesus' teachings but by his behavior and how he lived his life.

That chick is probably dead now.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby creativexcover » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:26 pm

I wish I could join The Order from Silent Hill
creativexcover

Postby chugging_pus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:32 pm

my wife is a member of a mystery school
chugging_pus

Postby captainsunshine » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:34 pm

no of course not, and on that note may the blessed teachings of the steve be within you all
captainsunshine
Frasier Superfan

Postby Check Your Sources » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:49 pm

dogdicksummer3 wrote:I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower. You have more fun as a follower. But make more money as a leader.

:smt006
Check Your Sources
USA! USA! USA!

Postby Check Your Sources » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:49 pm

I participate in organized religion
Check Your Sources
USA! USA! USA!

Postby macho insecurity » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:51 pm

i acknowledge and follow the testament of our prophet Joseph Smith
macho insecurity
sucked his dad's dick for free

Postby PiranhaSauna » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:00 pm

Posted this in the other cult thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=964108&p=3814912&hilit=cult#p3814912

PiranhaSauna wrote:About 7 years back, give or take, my sister's ex-husband joined 12 Tribes ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Tribes_communities ) when they were newly married and he left her to join their commune when my niece was about 6 months old. The cult/church has restaurants scattered through the U.S. as well as one in Australia, a couple in Canada, etc. The church has other business ventures too around the world. Basically, he started visiting their deli in Chattanooga (where my sister still lives) and began conversations with some of their members/employees. He brought home the church's literature and started buying into their theologies. Initially, over the few early months, he wanted to include my sister in it and even had her attend some services and meetings. He then expressed his interest in living with the community in their commune and working for the deli. He believed that was necessary and the only way that they could be "saved." Like I said, my sister was very newly married and they had a new daughter. My sister struggled with it for a while and even considered joining him. My sister looked at the church and what they were all about and decided she was not going to bring her daughter to live in that oppressive environment. My sister had become adamant with Jason (my sister's ex) that she was not comfortable with it and basically said no. So it basically came to a head late one night around midnight where Jason was in some kind of freak-out mode and was convinced he'd go to hell if he didn't act immediately. He told my sister he was leaving her and their daughter because it's what God wanted him to do and that he couldn't wait any longer for them. He left my sister weeping on the floor. I'll never forgive that son of a bitch. Bad story and it was a rough patch of time for my sister but she just recently got re-married to a good guy who she's known and been good friends with for about 15 years. They're happy and my niece is happy.

%&$! 12 Tribes.
PiranhaSauna
doesn't understand the Bill of Rights

Postby spsp » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:08 pm

taylorm wrote:I used to work with a girl who belonged to a religion/cult that had a bunch of different names. She joined because she fell in love with a guy in high school whose family was involved, so she got into it. They referred to it as "The Way" and apparently they didn't so much live by Jesus' teachings but by his behavior and how he lived his life.

So performing magic tricks?
spsp

Postby Nick CO » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:13 pm

PiranhaSauna wrote:Posted this in the other cult thread.

PiranhaSauna wrote:About 7 years back, give or take, my sister's ex-husband joined 12 Tribes ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Tribes_communities ) when they were newly married and he left her to join their commune when my niece was about 6 months old. The cult/church has restaurants scattered through the U.S. as well as one in Australia, a couple in Canada, etc. The church has other business ventures too around the world. Basically, he started visiting their deli in Chattanooga (where my sister still lives) and began conversations with some of their members/employees. He brought home the church's literature and started buying into their theologies. Initially, over the few early months, he wanted to include my sister in it and even had her attend some services and meetings. He then expressed his interest in living with the community in their commune and working for the deli. He believed that was necessary and the only way that they could be "saved." Like I said, my sister was very newly married and they had a new daughter. My sister struggled with it for a while and even considered joining him. My sister looked at the church and what they were all about and decided she was not going to bring her daughter to live in that oppressive environment. My sister had become adamant with Jason (my sister's ex) that she was not comfortable with it and basically said no. So it basically came to a head late one night around midnight where Jason was in some kind of freak-out mode and was convinced he'd go to hell if he didn't act immediately. He told my sister he was leaving her and their daughter because it's what God wanted him to do and that he couldn't wait any longer for them. He left my sister weeping on the floor. I'll never forgive that son of a bitch. Bad story and it was a rough patch of time for my sister but she just recently got re-married to a good guy who she's known and been good friends with for about 15 years. They're happy and my niece is happy.

%&$! 12 Tribes.

They had a deli in the town I went to college in, it was fuckin great.
Nick CO

Postby c_floyd II » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:15 pm

Does following Lyndon LaRouche count because a bunch of kids I grew up with dropped out to follow this jabroni

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_LaRouche
c_floyd II

Postby dogdicksummer3 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:19 pm

I remember a dozen or so LaRouche guys at Occupy Boston. They used to come inside UMass Boston and distribute flyers with Obama with a Hitler moustache. Insane people.
dogdicksummer3
Politics buckchalie

Postby c_floyd II » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:22 pm

Yup, they even did that all over my small town here in New Hampshire, he must have big support in Boston and NY because I don't hear about it anywhere else really.
c_floyd II

Postby captainsunshine » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:22 pm

dogdicksummer3 wrote:I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower. You have more fun as a follower. But make more money as a leader.

i always think about him saying this in conjunction with that one episode where he comes into the office covered in blood
captainsunshine
Frasier Superfan

Postby c_floyd II » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:31 pm

I should mention I was straight edge for three years
c_floyd II

Postby xpatx » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:01 pm

!azzip wrote:I do crossfit with xpatx

Haven't seen you in a while man, we've all been worried......very worried.

Also, I was straight edge for 16 years, thankfully i was able to get out with little to no repercussions.
xpatx
putric

Postby Marcabre back from dead » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:18 am

Does Amway count?
Marcabre back from dead

Postby jesper » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:21 am

love these threads
jesper
Thou shalt not bump ancient threads

Postby BeatOffTheBrat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:57 am

The Bretherin are really big in the area I grew up in, they have a massive fortified compound near my parents' house
BeatOffTheBrat

Postby snacks on snacks » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:13 am

Nick CO wrote:
PiranhaSauna wrote:Posted this in the other cult thread.

%&$! 12 Tribes.

They had a deli in the town I went to college in, it was fuckin great.

Yellow Deli is so fucking clutch.
snacks on snacks
smores on smores

Postby macho insecurity » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:13 am

i actually drove through Colorado City, AZ a year or 2 after the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints shakeup when Warren Jeffs was finally arrested by the FBI after an extensive manhunt. we were followed by a green Silverado truck once we entered the small town which was super creepy. all of the massive polygamist family homes had huge walls around them, almost like a compound.

for those who don't know what the FLDS is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundament ... Day_Saints

for those who don't know about Warren Jeffs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Jeffs

creepiest shit. i don't know how these people still get away with polygamy and forced, underage marriage:

Spoiler: show

macho insecurity
sucked his dad's dick for free

Postby t.doomhammer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:48 am

I was raised Catholic. My dad is basically an evangelical who eats the Jesus crackers.
t.doomhammer

Postby andydansby » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 am

Board life is cult
andydansby
RIP DJ SCREW

Postby Marioisthereason » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:02 am

My ex was in one of those door to door magazine sales things which was basically a facade for a cult/sex trafficking
Marioisthereason

Postby taylorm » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:29 am

Marioisthereason wrote:My ex was in one of those door to door magazine sales things which was basically a facade for a cult/sex trafficking

Go on...
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby Sorley Boy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:34 am

I'm a chiropractor.
Sorley Boy

Postby The Toxic Avenger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:39 am

hare krishna
The Toxic Avenger
stop me. you wont.

Postby Scumontherun » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Scumontherun

Postby joffrey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:12 pm

No. Never.
joffrey

Postby oldorder » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:57 pm

A friend was in one, he's definitely still a little fucked up by it, but all together has his shit pretty well together. He's such a good barber he's able to do it part time, paints the rest of the time, and parties with UFC fighters in his spare time. Don't know if it's changed since I last hung out with him (we live in different cities), but he wasn't able to tell his girlfriend of like three years that he loved her for some reason.
oldorder
would rather die than not eat Taco Bell

Postby Marioisthereason » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:37 pm

taylorm wrote:
Marioisthereason wrote:My ex was in one of those door to door magazine sales things which was basically a facade for a cult/sex trafficking

Go on...

Basically she was offered the opportunity to travel across the country for free while selling magazines door to door, with the incentive that she would be making tons of money. The whole thing was a scam as the advisors would pool all the money and they would only get a certain percentage of the sells. All the people participating had to be under the age of 22, and willing take drugs. The would go into isolated areas and give them acid and watch propaganda movies about sex. My ex said the had a very young girl who was probably around 8 or 10 and was always with one of the advisors and she just always assumed it was his daughter. One night during a gathering while they dosed her drink with drugs she kept hearing screaming off in the distance, and found out all the advisors were raping this young girl. She immediately ran for her life, and found a house after being stranded in the woods for hours. She informed the police and the investigated the incident and ended up arresting one of the people involved and taking the girl away. So if you see young kids selling magazines ask if they need help.
Marioisthereason

Postby taylorm » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:39 pm

Marioisthereason wrote:
taylorm wrote:

Go on...

Basically she was offered the opportunity to travel across the country for free while selling magazines door to door, with the incentive that she would be making tons of money. The whole thing was a scam as the advisors would pool all the money and they would only get a certain percentage of the sells. All the people participating had to be under the age of 22, and willing take drugs. The would go into isolated areas and give them acid and watch propaganda movies about sex. My ex said the had a very young girl who was probably around 8 or 10 and was always with one of the advisors and she just always assumed it was his daughter. One night during a gathering while they dosed her drink with drugs she kept hearing screaming off in the distance, and found out all the advisors were raping this young girl. She immediately ran for her life, and found a house after being stranded in the woods for hours. She informed the police and the investigated the incident and ended up arresting one of the people involved and taking the girl away. So if you see young kids selling magazines ask if they need help.

THATS STREET
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby antipasto » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:50 pm

Woah what the fuck
antipasto

Postby creativexcover » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:55 pm

whaaaa, i mean, if they got cid, ill have to cop some first, but ill make sure theyre ok too
creativexcover

Postby perxhurt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:57 pm

Grew up in the ICOC.
Had some cult-like practices where I was, but was worse in other areas.
1 in every country.
perxhurt

Postby kreaturemilk » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:48 pm

I'm the high priestess in a surrealist cult that is centered around bureaucracy so u can never do anything because you're constantly doing paper work
kreaturemilk

Postby joffrey » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:06 am

kreaturemilk wrote:I'm the high priestess in a surrealist cult that is centered around bureaucracy so u can never do anything because you're constantly doing paper work

where do i sign?
joffrey

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:01 am

taylorm wrote:I used to work with a girl who belonged to a religion/cult that had a bunch of different names. She joined because she fell in love with a guy in high school whose family was involved, so she got into it. They referred to it as "The Way" and apparently they didn't so much live by Jesus' teachings but by his behavior and how he lived his life.

I grew up in this, assuming it's the same one. We also called it 'The Truth' or 'The Friends' - online it's referred to as 'the 2x2s' (although we never called it that).
Guybrush Threepwood
I'm selling these fine leather jackets