Zion National Park

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Earth Lessons » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:00 pm

Where should I go? Will be there the first week of October. Anything within an hour drive of the park that I should see?
Earth Lessons
so perf bb

Postby Ortho Stice » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:22 pm

I would say I had something close to a religious experience standing at the very edge of Angel's Landing. It's a truly incredible place.
Ortho Stice

Postby rowdiedondown » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:25 pm

People die there all the time
rowdiedondown

Postby captainsunshine » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:30 pm

went twice with the boy scouts. first time was legitimately incredible. second time i got sick at the base camp and had to pass on the backpacking and hung out with some of the parents at the visitation center/car camping for a week lol
captainsunshine
Frasier Superfan

Postby captainsunshine » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:31 pm

rowdiedondown wrote:People die there all the time

captainsunshine
Frasier Superfan

Postby b andrus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:54 pm

I go every summer... angels landing is an amazing hike as is the narrows. I suggest going both very early in the morning. Weeping rock and emerald pools are very easy beautiful hikes. Observation is less "scary" than angels landing and gives you a higher view of the valley.

Don't be cleared of angels landing 7 year old kids do that hike
b andrus
barely passed library school

Postby lajoie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:24 am

I did the Narrows with my dad years ago. It was great and worth renting the wet suit and rubber boots.
I highly recommend it, my favorite thing I did Zion. Angel's landing was great as well but I really loved the water hiking.
http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-narrows.htm
lajoie

Postby xNameHatex » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:08 am

It is such a cool park. I did Angels Landing at sundown and no one else was up there. I saw Ray Barbee in the Narrows. I hired a guide to take my wife and I rappelling and hiking in some slot canyons outside of the park. The price was reasonable and it was super cool. Have fun, and don't be scared to break some Mormon hearts.
xNameHatex

Postby b andrus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:24 am

I believe starting in 2019 they are going to require walk up visitors to buy passes in advance due to increase in visitors. my GF had to wait an well over an HR last month for the tram up the canyon that was at 930am
b andrus

Postby ky » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:25 am

We went last October and loved it! We got into Salt Lake late one night, drove overnight to Zion, slept in the car for a little bit and then got the first shuttle and hiked Angel's Landing and then hiked some of the Narrows. The water was pretty cold, but it wasn't unbearable. Bryce Canyon is just over an hour away and is really pretty at sunset! We didn't have time last trip, but the Valley of Fire State Park is around 2 hours away and looks awesome!
ky

Postby b andrus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:28 am

ky wrote:We went last October and loved it! We got into Salt Lake late one night, drove overnight to Zion, slept in the car for a little bit and then got the first shuttle and hiked Angel's Landing and then hiked some of the Narrows. The water was pretty cold, but it wasn't unbearable. Bryce Canyon is just over an hour away and is really pretty at sunset! We didn't have time last trip, but the Valley of Fire State Park is around 2 hours away and looks awesome!

Bryce is awesome! North rim of grand canyon is also about 2.5 away from zion.... it is well worth doing the trio
b andrus

Postby Earth Lessons » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:25 am

Bump
Earth Lessons
so perf bb

Postby Concealer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:24 am

Posting
Concealer

Postby onefootinhell » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:47 pm

I really enjoy the short but sweet hike to Zion Canyon Overlook. It's only like a 1.5 miles or something but it has an absolutely incredible view. Parking here is extremely limited.

I also enjoyed the hikes to Emerald Falls and the Watchman trail is also incredible. This was actually one of my favorite trails I've ever been on.

Eat at Oscars in Springdale...it RULES!
onefootinhell

Postby Roofies Pizza » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Go south to Snow Canyon in St George. Its a smaller Canyon, but still amazing.
Roofies Pizza
antifa superfan

Postby Worship » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:37 pm

zion is tight as hell
Worship
9/11 truther

Postby Worship » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:38 pm

also not taking your own car there and driving to each of the locations probably sucks because the tram waits are alwasy mad long and crowded
Worship
9/11 truther

Postby KASEY » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:47 pm

I'm not sure how bad it is in October, but everything you've heard about the wait times to get through the the entrance and on the shuttle is true. It seems like there fall isn't much of a down season any more. Other than the state highway, cars won't be allowed in the main canyon when you'll be there so plan on taking the shuttle. Get there as early as possible because even though you'll be waiting to get on the shuttle with the wave of people who get there early, you'll at least be able to park.

Pretty much everything that has been said for hikes is good advice. Watchman is less traveled but one of my favorites, Emerald Pools would probably be a good evening hike as it gets super crowded during the day, and Angels Landing might be best first thing in the morning especially if you think you're a strong enough hiker to pull away from the pack. My favorite area is the east rim, with Cable Mountain and Deer Trap being my favorites. The overlook trail on the way there is short and really cool too. Also check out Kolob Canyons, and Kanarraville Falls.
KASEY

Postby lazyline » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:59 pm

I went the day after Memorial Day this year and it was packed but not unbearable. I did Observation Point instead of Angel's Landing and I loved it. Truly amazing. Everyone says that Narrows is a must but we couldn't do it because there were some rain clouds coming in. Stay as long as you can, it's amazing.
lazyline

Postby lurkyloo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:14 am

KASEY wrote:I'm not sure how bad it is in October, but everything you've heard about the wait times to get through the the entrance and on the shuttle is true. It seems like there fall isn't much of a down season any more. Other than the state highway, cars won't be allowed in the main canyon when you'll be there so plan on taking the shuttle. Get there as early as possible because even though you'll be waiting to get on the shuttle with the wave of people who get there early, you'll at least be able to park.

Pretty much everything that has been said for hikes is good advice. Watchman is less traveled but one of my favorites, Emerald Pools would probably be a good evening hike as it gets super crowded during the day, and Angels Landing might be best first thing in the morning especially if you think you're a strong enough hiker to pull away from the pack. My favorite area is the east rim, with Cable Mountain and Deer Trap being my favorites. The overlook trail on the way there is short and really cool too. Also check out Kolob Canyons, and Kanarraville Falls.

I don't think it's as bad as Yellowstone, Yosemite, or Disneyland. I think more parks ought to adopt their shuttle system. Yellowstone might be too big, but Yosemite I think would benefit. Anyway, a week in the area is more than enough time to do every hike in the park. So do that. Emerald Pools is a party when you can swim in it. I'm not sure you can this late in the season. Also other people said Bryce Canyon is about an hour away. See that at dawn or dusk.

I've been to Zion twice and did Angel's Landing three times. I ran up it in the morning before my sister and I were meant to hike up it. I just wanted to see how fast I could do it and how it compared to me and her. My moving time running was about 50 minutes. I spent a good half hour gazing at the top, alone. When my sister and I hiked it took 5 hours minus the time we spent at the top. When we started to descend, some mountain-man who was telling stories on the summit actually asked me if she was going to be okay lol. The second time I visited Zion I started Angel's Landing with my parents. I didn't run, and I stayed with them until the wiggles, where they turned around. That trip took about 2 hours total.

p.s. if you're a decent cyclist, you should be able to keep ahead of the shuttles. cyclists are allowed all throughout the park, but if a shuttle comes upon you, you have to pull off and yield to the shuttle.
lurkyloo