Stranger Things thread

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:09 pm

brütal
ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe
In the Valley of the Dolls

Postby The Toxic Avenger » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:28 pm

east2midwest wrote:
ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe wrote:I honestly didn't mind episode 7 at all. It obviously wasn't anything spectacular but just skipping over it is a brutal idea.

Sure about that?

no butthead
The Toxic Avenger
stop me. you wont.

Postby Alex 2K » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:31 pm

*cuphead
Alex 2K

Postby taylorm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:46 pm

east2midwest wrote:
shithead wrote:Fuck outta here with that attitude, 5 post count.

Easy sparky, joined the board a decade ago, had to switch to my other name because McLegs got lost in. B9 limbo

A likely story.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby east2midwest » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:47 pm

The Toxic Avenger wrote:
east2midwest wrote:
ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe wrote:I honestly didn't mind episode 7 at all. It obviously wasn't anything spectacular but just skipping over it is a brutal idea.

Sure about that?

no butthead

Nice edit, but your first draft was more creative
east2midwest

Postby !azzip » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:20 pm

This shit is trash
!azzip
Mind the d, ladies

Postby Killedbyschool » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:41 pm

!azzip wrote:This shit is trash

Get a new shtick.
Killedbyschool

Postby !azzip » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:06 am

I genuinely enjoyed the first season
!azzip
Mind the d, ladies

Postby !azzip » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:07 am

Also, children in general are awful
!azzip
Mind the d, ladies

Postby judge smails » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:20 am

Season 1 was definitely better. It just seemed like the punk nerds and Billy (was that his name?) could have been removed from the show and it wouldn’t have made much of an impact on the story. I assume they’ll go more in depth into those characters next season.
judge smails

Postby judge smails » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:26 am

Regarding Billy’s alleged homosexuality, I think it’s definitely possible. If the writers chose to go that route I think it would actually fit his character fine. His dad seems the type who would beat the shit out of his son for being gay, so I don’t think it’s a stretch for him to stay closeted and over compensate in every other way possible.
judge smails

Postby zero tolerance » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:59 pm

Billy is the red ranger.
zero tolerance

Postby Alex 2K » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:04 pm

Bill definitely has something in store for him next time. We can speculate whether that's sacrificing himself for the good of the group or spurning a young Mike Pence to settle down with his life partner Steve.
Alex 2K

Postby WaxedCurbs » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:29 am

Just finished the season, like others I didn't really care for episode 7, but I do understand that it's important in setting up the next season. I probably would have switched the order with episode 6, I didn't like how there was this somewhat light hearted break between that part of the story.

Enjoyed the little Bob nods to other things I love
- being from Maine and afraid of clowns
- asking if there was buried treasure at the X

The scene with Will convulsing was definitely the creepiest thing I've seen in awhile.
WaxedCurbs

Postby The Toxic Avenger » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:10 am

im gonna be so bummed if season 3 builds off ep 7
The Toxic Avenger
stop me. you wont.

Postby Daytona 500 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:30 am

That episode as a whole season would be way better than having it just pop up in the back half of the season like it did.
Daytona 500

Postby Smashedbox 20 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:34 am

didn't look at this thread until i finished season 2 and glad to see that the majority thought ep. 7 was dumb. the only time i didnt pause the show to go into the other room and didn't care if i missed anything.
Smashedbox 20

Postby Smashedbox 20 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:37 am

Daytona 500 wrote:That episode as a whole season would be way better than having it just pop up in the back half of the season like it did.

if it's just 8 and she's a villain i think it would be good. but if they try to include more supernatural characters then it'll kind of ruin it for me like they ran out of ideas for writing the show.
Smashedbox 20

Postby WaxedCurbs » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:48 am

I feel like the next season will go down the path of finding more people who were originally involved and ultimately finding Brenner if he’s actually still alive, as well as the shadow monster trying to break through to their world. It knows where they are and now knows there’s someone who is a capable enemy.
WaxedCurbs

Postby zero tolerance » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:15 am

WaxedCurbs wrote:I feel like the next season will go down the path of finding more people who were originally involved and ultimately finding Brenner if he’s actually still alive, as well as the shadow monster trying to break through to their world. It knows where they are and now knows there’s someone who is a capable enemy.

I feel like Paul Reiser will play an important role in that if they decide to go that way.

Maybe they'll do a spin-off show with 8 and crew to milk off the franchise a la walking dead.
edit : they've addressed it https://www.cinemablend.com/television/ ... eators-say

tl;dr : they're not planning on doing a spinoff (for now)
zero tolerance

Postby DrewBlood » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:55 pm

Have we mentioned yet that Jim Hopper is the name of the military guy that Schwarzenegger was sent to find in Predator?
DrewBlood

Postby dwh_87 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:18 pm

DrewBlood wrote:Have we mentioned yet that Jim Hopper is the name of the military guy that Schwarzenegger was sent to find in Predator?

I think i mentioned it when season one dropped. It fits in with the timeline.

Try not to think about him flayed and hung from a tree though :smt009
dwh_87
big dumb idiot

Postby benten » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:26 pm

Episode 7 is like a hyper 21 Jump Street. It's fine.

Billy's dad called him a f*ggot bc that's what dads called their sons in the 80s when they teased their hair and wore earrings. Hes not gay.

Great season. So easy to watch.
benten

Postby HULKSwagon » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:51 pm

From watching season 1 last year I would never expect that Steve would end up being one of my favorite characters.
HULKSwagon

Postby HOTDOGS_COMINURWAY » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:15 am

Idk, It was enjoyable and all but the whole chicago thing and episode 7 seemed like filler to me. They could have developed 8 a little more and had her be a part of the actual story rather than just a lazy plot device. I do really like how Steve has transformed from the first season
HOTDOGS_COMINURWAY

Postby benten » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:02 am

But they didn't want to do that with 8 and they didn't need to, so
benten

Postby The Toxic Avenger » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:47 am

i wouldn’t mind never seeing 8 again

dustin is easily my favorite character
The Toxic Avenger
stop me. you wont.

Postby Bob Loblaw » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:11 am

I love the Temple Of Doom nod right before Nancy and Jonathan hook up.

That was my favorite Indy movie growing up.
Bob Loblaw

Postby Alex 2K » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:21 pm

I knew I regocnized that from somewhere, but I couldn't place it.
Alex 2K

Postby Killedbyschool » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Looking back, I'm having a bit of trouble with the mythology. In season 1, will was trapped inside the upside down for the whole season and was able to stay there without detection and there was only 1 demigorgon. The demigorgon seemingly appeared out of thing air wherever he wanted to. He didn't need a particular portal or entrance. He just kind of popped in an out right? There was a portal in the forest that Nancy used, but they never showed them closing those portals. At the end of the season, Eleven destroys the demigorgon but is transported into the upside down for some reason. But, in season 2 we see Eleven just pop right back out through a portal in the school.

Will spits out a slug at the end of season 1 (dart?) and will has visions of the upside down. Now, there's a shadow monster in the upside down who hive minds with the demigorgon. The portal at Hawkins lab is spreading under ground and seemingly taking over Hawkins. Why did the Mindflayer need will at all? These portals are all over the place. Why couldn't he have just flooded the portals with demidogs at any moment? What was it waiting for exactly? If its goal was to takeover Hawkins, it was already doing that fairly easily without Will's involvement. I just don't get how the upside down (which is supposed to be another dimension) works in relation to Hawkins. Am I missing something or is it just inconsistent? If it's inconsistent, I don't really care because the show isn't really about that, but I want to make sense of it if sense can be made of it.
Killedbyschool

Postby Alex 2K » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:42 pm

Smoke Brah was lazy as shit, really.
Alex 2K

Postby benten » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:55 pm

I'm not saying it's for better or worse, but I think a lot of people just watch this show for the comfort, characters, ease of watch, etc. and don't get too wrapped up in plot/questioning, like a LOST or something comparable...one reason because you don't have to, you just move on to the next episode.
benten

Postby Killedbyschool » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:58 pm

I mean, that's what I was asking. It doesn't even make internal sense right?
Killedbyschool

Postby benten » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Killedbyschool wrote:I mean, that's what I was asking. It doesn't even make internal sense right?

Honestly I have no idea lol... I didn't mean all that directed toward your post as it may have seemed. They're all good questions.
benten

Postby MIKExT » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:23 pm

like others have said, i never thought i'd end up liking steve as much as i did.
MIKExT

Postby ButtDan316 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:25 pm

Season 2 was an improvement over the first one. Still had way too much Will and Dustin. Episode 7 was the best episode of the series, still not sure why people don't like it.
ButtDan316
Voted for Gary Johnson

Postby ButtDan316 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:25 pm

MIKExT wrote:like others have said, i never thought i'd end up liking steve as much as i did.

Loved the transformation of Steve.
ButtDan316
Voted for Gary Johnson

Postby radiatedradiation » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:52 am

benten wrote:I'm not saying it's for better or worse, but I think a lot of people just watch this show for the comfort, characters, ease of watch, etc. and don't get too wrapped up in plot/questioning, like a LOST or something comparable...one reason because you don't have to, you just move on to the next episode.

I think that may have been the case for season 1 because there was a way higher degree of mystery then. Season 2 removed a lot of that mystery and made season 1 kind of not make too much sense anymore, as stated above with the plot inconsistencies. I think this is mostly why I am lukewarm to season 2, it just kind of made the show drop down in quality as a whole on accident.
radiatedradiation

Postby DrewBlood » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:02 am

Killedbyschool wrote:Looking back, I'm having a bit of trouble with the mythology. In season 1, will was trapped inside the upside down for the whole season and was able to stay there without detection and there was only 1 demigorgon. The demigorgon seemingly appeared out of thing air wherever he wanted to. He didn't need a particular portal or entrance. He just kind of popped in an out right? There was a portal in the forest that Nancy used, but they never showed them closing those portals. At the end of the season, Eleven destroys the demigorgon but is transported into the upside down for some reason. But, in season 2 we see Eleven just pop right back out through a portal in the school.

Will spits out a slug at the end of season 1 (dart?) and will has visions of the upside down. Now, there's a shadow monster in the upside down who hive minds with the demigorgon. The portal at Hawkins lab is spreading under ground and seemingly taking over Hawkins. Why did the Mindflayer need will at all? These portals are all over the place. Why couldn't he have just flooded the portals with demidogs at any moment? What was it waiting for exactly? If its goal was to takeover Hawkins, it was already doing that fairly easily without Will's involvement. I just don't get how the upside down (which is supposed to be another dimension) works in relation to Hawkins. Am I missing something or is it just inconsistent? If it's inconsistent, I don't really care because the show isn't really about that, but I want to make sense of it if sense can be made of it.

my take on it is that in season 1, our universe has accidentally bumped into the upside down universe. as the upside down brings death and decay to our universe, lets assume that our world does the exact same thing to theirs. from that point of view, season 1 could be interpreted as the demigorgon's habitat being destroyed by the influence of our universe and its actions are due to self preservation. those actions put it on a collision course with our protagonists and will ultimately lead the overmind to focus its attention on the upside down Hawkins in season 2. its like if you were on a hike and got bit by a fire ant and in retaliation you poured your canteen on their ant hill. only in this case, one of the ants was able to put the cap back on the bottle.
DrewBlood

Postby taylorm » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:22 am

benten wrote:Episode 7 is like a hyper 21 Jump Street. It's fine.

Billy's dad called him a f*ggot bc that's what dads called their sons in the 80s when they teased their hair and wore earrings. Hes not gay.

Nobody said he called him that because he was gay.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby benten » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:48 am

shithead wrote:

i thought you did, actually, with a caveat. but its no big deal.
benten

Postby nerd eater » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:51 am

ButtDan316 wrote:
MIKExT wrote:like others have said, i never thought i'd end up liking steve as much as i did.

Loved the transformation of Steve.

I like it.

Finished s2 over the weekend. 6 was so intense that I had to watch 7 immediately after and it was a step down, but felt like it was almost necessary as a cooler. 8 was great as well.
nerd eater
Skott's Friend

Postby taylorm » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:47 am

benten wrote:
shithead wrote:

i thought you did, actually, with a caveat. but its no big deal.

Nah, I said some people might think that's why people are discussing him being gay but the dad was just trying to rag on him by calling him that.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby The Unabomber's Hoodie » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:34 am

Killedbyschool wrote:Looking back, I'm having a bit of trouble with the mythology. In season 1, will was trapped inside the upside down for the whole season and was able to stay there without detection and there was only 1 demigorgon. The demigorgon seemingly appeared out of thing air wherever he wanted to. He didn't need a particular portal or entrance. He just kind of popped in an out right? There was a portal in the forest that Nancy used, but they never showed them closing those portals. At the end of the season, Eleven destroys the demigorgon but is transported into the upside down for some reason. But, in season 2 we see Eleven just pop right back out through a portal in the school.

You're not missing anything. They basically retconned what the Upside Down is this season and tried to make it bigger and badder. I don't think the mythology of the show was meant to be explored for more than a season and they had to make some changes to escalate the tension I guess. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but neither does Dustin and Lucas's friendship not ending after the introduction of Max, so whatever.
The Unabomber's Hoodie

Postby The Lowest One » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:54 pm

Didn't love season 2. Enjoyed Steve's transition and development, but all in all, probably won't be back for season 3. Also got labeled sexist for not enjoying it. People are weird.
The Lowest One

Postby rowdiedondown » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:11 pm

Dude, I need to watch billy deep dick nancy’s Mom
rowdiedondown

Postby rowdiedondown » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:13 pm

The Lowest One wrote:Didn't love season 2. Enjoyed Steve's transition and development, but all in all, probably won't be back for season 3. Also got labeled sexist for not enjoying it. People are weird.

Do we even want to know how? Ha jeez
rowdiedondown

Postby The Lowest One » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:27 pm

rowdiedondown wrote:
The Lowest One wrote:Didn't love season 2. Enjoyed Steve's transition and development, but all in all, probably won't be back for season 3. Also got labeled sexist for not enjoying it. People are weird.

Do we even want to know how? Ha jeez

Maybe not explicitly sexist, but close enough.

Me:
Finished Stranger Things 2.
Final thoughts: I felt that it was too much rehashing - Like an unnecessary movie sequel. The sense of nostalgia couldn't keep me in it.

Steve had the best transition and development as a character and made the series watchable for me. And since I'm a diehard fan of Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time", I loved the scene with Dustin and Nancy.

Other than that, I give it like 5/10. I don't know.

Him:
You’re not seeing the bigger picture. Step outside of your limited male opinion and see the social commentary in a feminist lens. The saviors of the second season are largely women. Investing in the power to discovered true inner strength and overcoming fear. If we watched a movie like this from the 80s, you would only see guys being the heroes. There are no true female heroes from 80s flicks, unbridaled by sexualitiation, to speak of. The brother who wrote this show are giving us more of what should been a part of the writing of our favorite 80s movies, which was string female icons.

The first season was still about victimization if women. Barb dies, Winona freaks the whole time, Eleven is a hunted animal and oppressed and tortured by her “papa”. But we gain salvation over these laments in season 2 where all said roles she’d their fear and conquer.

On a larger scale, this is a masterpiece. I loved it and can’t wait to see season 3.

:smt102
The Lowest One

Postby Adonis » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:34 pm

be interesting to see how they write will's older brother out of it since his arrest for possession of cocaine entering LAX from the UK no doubt has him blacklisted for 10 years, if not ever, entering the usa with a work visa. Im sure netflix can afford the best attorneys but boy fucked up.
Adonis

Postby ButtDan316 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:44 pm

The things that dude's using to call The Lowest One sexist are cool aspects of the show, but that's not enough to make it a great show.
ButtDan316
Voted for Gary Johnson

PreviousNext