Stranger Things thread

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Kenny Fury » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:41 am

youdonthink wrote:I'm OK with Bob dying, but his death scene was a little gratuitous. Like I got it, he was attacked. I don't need the camera to go back and show him getting eaten for 10 seconds. Show him some respect.

In Beyond Stranger Things they showed additional footage that they actually cut out because they said it went too far.
Kenny Fury

Postby Avoidance Learning » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:42 am

Originally the first couple of scenes with Sean Astin I was like "ughhhhh he's so corny and kitschy" but that's totally the motiff. I did end up loving his character though. RIP TO THE BIG HOMIE
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Location: And then you have Kerry King who’s like ‘You see? You see these tribal tattoos?

Postby Kenny Fury » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:44 am

shithead wrote:Also, did anybody else see that they seemed be hinting at Mike's mom having a drinking problem?

There's speculation that Brenner is in the upside down and somehow related to the shadow monster. I've also seen some people speculate Billy is gay, he can't come to terms with it and that's why he's such a a dick. I'm not really buying into either theory.

Did anybody else think Nancy was an incredible bitch throughout the majority of the new season? I think she only truly redeems herself in the final episode when asking Dustin to dance. The rest of the time she's criticizing Steve's essay, getting drunk/yelling at Steve and ultimately cheating (were they still together?) on Steve with Johnathan.

Definitely. She is drinking wine in every scene, plus the vibes between her and Mike's dad (sleeping in the recliner while she's in the bath), her excitement about Billy, etc is basically establishing the archetypal neglected housewife.
Kenny Fury

Postby Alex 2K » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:22 pm

shithead wrote:
Alex 2K wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned the Jurassic Park scenes. RIPIP Bob

da wat

Bob going to turn the power back on and hacking the computer whilst being guided via walkie talkie is straight from Jurassic Park, albeit an amalgam of two characters. And there were vibes before with the Dogs breaking through the glass.
Alex 2K

Postby The Unabomber's Hoodie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:58 pm

All the reviews I read seemed to agree that while it was a good season, one episode totally sucked. It became very clear which episode it was while watching.

Overall, good season. I have some complaints, but I was expecting to be much more disappointed (and thought my fears had been confirmed after the meh first episode). No one should be comparing brave warrior soul Bob to that loser Barb.

Was I the only one hoping for a Billy face turn towards the end?
The Unabomber's Hoodie

Postby radiatedradiation » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:58 pm

fred durst wrote:Originally the first couple of scenes with Sean Astin I was like "ughhhhh he's so corny and kitschy" but that's totally the motiff. I did end up loving his character though. RIP TO THE BIG HOMIE

Yeah I did a 0 to 100 on this dude and I loved that. I like when stuff I watch makes me re-think my presumptions.
radiatedradiation

Postby east2midwest » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Can I just skip episode 7 when I watch, or does it impart necessary story info?
east2midwest

Postby righteous skramz » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:26 pm

probably a really dumb question that’s already been asked but while everyone is speculating on billy’s homosexuality my main question with his character had to do with his disdain for lucas. does he hone in on him because he’s the first new friend he sees max with or are they writing that into the script as some sort of racially motivated plot point?
righteous skramz

Postby Giant Mechanical Brain » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:33 pm

east2midwest wrote:Can I just skip episode 7 when I watch, or does it impart necessary story info?

Honestly it's a complete pointless episode with only some payoff in the last 3 minutes. There's some stuff in it that will probably be dealt with next season but barely anything to do with this season.
Giant Mechanical Brain

Postby The Toxic Avenger » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:37 pm

east2midwest wrote:Can I just skip episode 7 when I watch, or does it impart necessary story info?

the episode is kinda lame but why would you just skip it if you dig the show?
The Toxic Avenger
stop me. you wont.

Postby Alex 2K » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:47 pm

Episode 7? What's Episode 7?
Alex 2K

Postby radiatedradiation » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:15 pm

righteous skramz wrote:probably a really dumb question that’s already been asked but while everyone is speculating on billy’s homosexuality my main question with his character had to do with his disdain for lucas. does he hone in on him because he’s the first new friend he sees max with or are they writing that into the script as some sort of racially motivated plot point?

I was wondering this, too. My first assumptions were that it was racially motivated but then the show never really explained his disdain. Based on that ambiguity I lean more towards your first idea.
radiatedradiation

Postby perxhurt » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:32 pm

oh billy definitely hates lucas because he is black
perxhurt

Postby radiatedradiation » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:41 pm

Yeah, but he didn't seem to hate him more than anyone else by the end of the season. I'm sure next season they will confirm whether or not it's racism, either way I won't be surprised I guess.
radiatedradiation

Postby east2midwest » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:14 pm

The Toxic Avenger wrote:

Because everyone is talking about how awful it is.
east2midwest

Postby WeDealInLead » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:19 pm

east2midwest wrote:
The Toxic Avenger wrote:

Because everyone is talking about how awful it is.

I didn't think it was awful at all. It was maybe unnecessary as it slowed down the story's momentum, but I don't think that the episode itself was awful. There's also a good chance the show might expand on the events in ep7 next season. The sceptic in me thinks they might not though and the producers had to have Eleven do something instead of just hanging out in a cabin.

TL;DR: it's 50 minutes, just watch it
WeDealInLead

Postby perxhurt » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:29 pm

radiatedradiation wrote:Yeah, but he didn't seem to hate him more than anyone else by the end of the season. I'm sure next season they will confirm whether or not it's racism, either way I won't be surprised I guess.

lucas is the only friend he saw w/ max near his car, and multple times
he played chicken with all the kids...
max never listen, she still hung with the black kid

billy is full of hate. his character is obviously the negatives of society rolled into the HS bully/prettyboy jock

8 8 8 8 . CANNOIT WAIT. FOR 8 8 8 8
perxhurt

Postby dwh_87 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:58 pm

While i was watching episode seven i had a terrible feeling this was just laying the ground work for season three. There are at least another nine kids who can do funky shit with their minds which would either be interesting or some bland x-men shit.

The general distain for that episode could be enough for the Duffer brothers to rethink bringing the ethnically diverse scooby gang back and just focus on the characters people actually like.
dwh_87
big dumb idiot

Postby half idiot » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:06 pm

radiatedradiation wrote:
righteous skramz wrote:probably a really dumb question that’s already been asked but while everyone is speculating on billy’s homosexuality my main question with his character had to do with his disdain for lucas. does he hone in on him because he’s the first new friend he sees max with or are they writing that into the script as some sort of racially motivated plot point?

I was wondering this, too. My first assumptions were that it was racially motivated but then the show never really explained his disdain. Based on that ambiguity I lean more towards your first idea.

I'm wondering if Max and Billy were close enough that she might have brought him up as the "stalker", because that's all she ever called him. I can't remember a scene where this happened, but even if it didn't, he drove her to and from school every day, so I'd imagine it would have been brought up at least once. This could be him trying to protect her in a way from a "stalker".
half idiot

Postby Catamaran » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:16 am

If you were a little intrigued by the start of the show, watch it. I enjoyed the episode enough, but it's such a tonal shift from everything else that it feels like a different show.
Catamaran

Postby radiatedradiation » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:12 am

If season 3 is anything like episode 7 this show will become a pile o shit
radiatedradiation

Postby The Unabomber's Hoodie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:39 am

radiatedradiation wrote:If season 3 is anything like episode 7 this show will become a pile o shit

While I have a strong feeling the 7th episode was supposed to be setup for the major arc of the third season, Netflix is more about creating product then art, and you better believe they have noted the mass distaste for that episode and I would guess that they have told the show runners to overhaul that storyline.
The Unabomber's Hoodie

Postby WeDealInLead » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:12 am

The Unabomber's Hoodie wrote:
radiatedradiation wrote:If season 3 is anything like episode 7 this show will become a pile o shit

While I have a strong feeling the 7th episode was supposed to be setup for the major arc of the third season, Netflix is more about creating product then art, and you better believe they have noted the mass distaste for that episode and I would guess that they have told the show runners to overhaul that storyline.

I hope you're right. A spin off would be (maybe) OK but there's already one Orphan Black so please, let's keep Stranger Things in Harrow and centered around the main characters.
WeDealInLead

Postby taylorm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:13 am

Yeah, there's no way they make episode 7 shit into season 3. If anything Netflix would pull a Walking Dead and do a spinoff to satiate people between proper Stranger Things seasons. Whether it's an actual show appearing on Netflix, or some sort of online content you can follow that ties into the Stranger Things universe.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby taylorm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:13 am

WeDealInLead wrote:

I hope you're right. A spin off would be (maybe) OK but there's already one Orphan Black so please, let's keep Stranger Things in Harrow and centered around the main characters.

Harrow?
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby SomeTribe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:40 am

half idiot wrote:
radiatedradiation wrote:

I'm wondering if Max and Billy were close enough that she might have brought him up as the "stalker", because that's all she ever called him. I can't remember a scene where this happened, but even if it didn't, he drove her to and from school every day, so I'd imagine it would have been brought up at least once. This could be him trying to protect her in a way from a "stalker".

He's definitely racist. Race already got brought up with Lucas earlier in the season so I felt like there was some minor groundwork. I'm surprised Billy didn't let an n-word fly during their fight. Plus he's stuck in the 70s with muscle cars and cock rock. He's behind the times culturally, not a stretch that his character would be behind the times socially.
SomeTribe

Postby Daytona 500 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:44 am

I think the Chicago episode would have been better if that gang didn't have the terrible mohawk guy. He's just so unlikable.
Daytona 500

Postby WeDealInLead » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:44 am

shithead wrote:
WeDealInLead wrote:

Harrow?

Hawkins. Duh.
WeDealInLead

Postby ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:46 am

I honestly didn't mind episode 7 at all. It obviously wasn't anything spectacular but just skipping over it is a brutal idea.
ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe
In the Valley of the Dolls

Postby BETRAYED BY LIFE » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:58 am

Loved the Goonies vibe when they enter the tunnels, the shit Steve was wearing had me dying.
BETRAYED BY LIFE

Postby Hungry like the wolf » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:04 pm

I wouldn't skip episode 7. It was a fine episode but it felt like a filler episode the entire time. Storyline wise you could skip it and not really miss anything for season 2 but just watch it. Form your own opinion.
Hungry like the wolf

Postby SlayerSwift » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:58 pm

Hungry like the wolf wrote:I wouldn't skip episode 7. It was a fine episode but it felt like a filler episode the entire time. Storyline wise you could skip it and not really miss anything for season 2 but just watch it. Form your own opinion.

Says not to skip it then gives multiple reasons why we should skip it. Episode 7 was terrible and irrelevant.
SlayerSwift
Easily Angered Iowegian

Postby The Toxic Avenger » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:53 pm

It’s bizarre for someone to actually be into a show and searching for reasons to skip episodes.
The Toxic Avenger
stop me. you wont.

Postby ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:02 pm

The Toxic Avenger wrote:It’s bizarre for someone to actually be into a show and searching for reasons to skip episodes.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure why you'd want to be confused when Eleven shows up with slicked back hair and makeup later on. It's not super important to the season as a whole but there are things that are relevant to story contained in the episode.

Postby WaxedCurbs » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:11 pm

Haven't read much of the thread since the first season since I'm not done 2 yet, BUT my girlfriend and I called the number on the Hawkins Power and Light ads that popped up everywhere and gave our mailing info and this showed up today...

Likely some little promo things but I'm waiting for her to get here to open it and it's killing me.

WaxedCurbs

Postby taylorm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:14 pm

Wait, what ads?
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby WaxedCurbs » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:18 pm

These were popping up around the city and on the subway here in Toronto before the season dropped. My friend tried to see if he could give his info today but that portion of the answering machine isn't up anymore
WaxedCurbs

Postby taylorm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:33 pm

Damn, that kicks.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby Check Your Sources » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:34 pm

I've seen them around Toronto. Never thought about calling though.
Check Your Sources
USA! USA! USA!

Postby WaxedCurbs » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:34 pm

WaxedCurbs

Postby ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:35 pm

I saw some Hawkins ads on the subway. Very cool.

Postby taylorm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:42 pm

WaxedCurbs wrote:Image

FUCK yeah.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby east2midwest » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:43 pm

ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe wrote:
The Toxic Avenger wrote:It’s bizarre for someone to actually be into a show and searching for reasons to skip episodes.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure why you'd want to be confused when Eleven shows up with slicked back hair and makeup later on. It's not super important to the season as a whole but there are things that are relevant to story contained in the episode.

Jiminy Christmas guys, I wasn't "searching for a reason to skip" the episode. I was asking if I COULD skip it without missing story details given the overwhelmingly negative response it's gotten from fans. Also, skipping an episode of a show isn't "brutal" as you said. In fact it's barely remarkable
east2midwest

Postby taylorm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:50 pm

Fuck outta here with that attitude, 5 post count.
taylorm
¡yo quiero del taco!

Postby captainsunshine » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:03 pm

merch for this show is outs of control, OUTS of control i tells ya
captainsunshine
Frasier Superfan

Postby jesper » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:21 pm

loved the season. episode 7 bored the fuck outta me.
jesper
Thou shalt not bump ancient threads

Postby The Toxic Avenger » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:48 pm

nobody said brutal wtf
The Toxic Avenger
stop me. you wont.

Postby east2midwest » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:00 pm

ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe wrote:I honestly didn't mind episode 7 at all. It obviously wasn't anything spectacular but just skipping over it is a brutal idea.

Sure about that?
east2midwest

Postby Alex 2K » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:00 pm

no but someone did say brvtal
Alex 2K

Postby east2midwest » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:02 pm

shithead wrote:Fuck outta here with that attitude, 5 post count.

Easy sparky, joined the board a decade ago, had to switch to my other name because McLegs got lost in. B9 limbo
east2midwest

PreviousNext