november rain

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby midnightmass » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:31 pm

great song or GREATEST song?

midnightmass

Postby pizzapower518 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:43 pm

A classic
pizzapower518

Postby iansaysftw » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:03 pm

I was running out of room on my Ipod and deleted every gnr song.

Except this one. Love it.
Last edited by iansaysftw on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iansaysftw

Postby Teeth Malloy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:55 pm

Not gonna lie, I've never particularly liked November Rain. People talk up the guitar solo all the time but it's really grating on my ears (and I fucking LOVE guitar solos). The tone is so shitty, it sounds like Slash played it on a toy guitar.
Teeth Malloy

Postby gary from teen mom 2 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:07 am

could you imagine getting away with showing up to gigs 2-4 hours late like Axl did? Besides shitty rap acts that could never happen modern day.

over 100 million albums sold.
gary from teen mom 2

Postby hands that mold » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:11 am

the fucking 18th century aristocratic suit thing he's wearing gets me every time
hands that mold

Postby trenchbuttocks » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:41 am

whenever this video would come on when I was a kid I would always laugh at the face axl makes at the funeral because he looks like john denver. It's still pretty funny to me.
trenchbuttocks

Postby theb00box » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:31 am

That Riki Rachtman cameo
theb00box
joey haircuts

Postby theb00box » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:36 am

I'm going to a wedding next weekend and I might have to pull this off. Double posting cause this needed to be done
theb00box
joey haircuts

Postby trenchbuttocks » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:40 am

I always loved how rain causes the wedding to devolve into total chaos. In reality everyone would just run inside but instead people are scrambling under tables and diving through the wedding cake.
trenchbuttocks

Postby xpatx » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:47 am

Did we ever find out what this video meant? I vaguely remember MTV making a big deal about revealing what it was about, like if axl killed his wife or something. It was part of that video trilogy along with don't cry and estranged. Supposedly they were all connected.
xpatx
putric

Postby eatroffles » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:23 pm

hands that mold wrote:the fucking 18th century aristocratic suit thing he's wearing gets me every time

He looks like Siegfried/Nightmare from Soul Calibur and it's so funny
eatroffles
SECRET SANTA STIFFER

Postby Chute Boxe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:11 pm

xpatx wrote:Did we ever find out what this video meant? I vaguely remember MTV making a big deal about revealing what it was about, like if axl killed his wife or something. It was part of that video trilogy along with don't cry and estranged. Supposedly they were all connected.

As it's stated at the end of the video, "November Rain" is based on the short story "Without You" by Del James, available in James' 1995 book The Language of Fear. That short story would have an obvious appeal to Axl Rose, as it describes the misery of a former multi-platinum blues-influenced rock star, now so drunk and drug-addled he never knows what day it is, who reminisces over an on-and-off-again relationship. He leaves this erstwhile girlfriend a telephone message, becomes concerned when she doesn't answer, and then goes to her apartment, kicking down her door to find she had just shot herself in the head while listening to his music.

The lyrics to "November Rain" do not discuss the suicide issue, only the tempestuous relationship. According to one interpretation, the lyrics are from a man to a former girlfriend, saying how the troubled times (the 'cold November rain') will not last forever, and that he is willing to give her time alone if she will come back to him. The video, on the other hand, follows the short story more closely, from love and life, through to death and the funeral of the bride. Although the video doesn't explain how the girlfriend died, it can be seen, by looking at the girlfriend in the casket, that there is a line down her face; that is, a mirror.

This appears at the 7:21 mark in the video. Families of head-trauma victims, who want to have an open-casket funeral, can use a mirror reflecting the intact side of the face to make the deceased appear whole. It can therefore be inferred that, as in the short story, the girlfriend was shot in the head. This scene implies that Seymour shot herself.

However, another theory (though much less popular) involves an early reference in which Axl walks alone at night, past a gunshop with an open door, which can be seen at the 5:36 mark in the video. Some view this scene as an indication that Axl was the shooter: the suicide/homicide ambiguity corresponds to the storied protagonist's guilt over precipitating the suicide. Many, however, just think the gun store was a reference to the band name, because of the florists' shop adjacent to the gun shop.

Some think that Axl walking past the gun store is a metaphor; that he didn't physically shoot her, but he inspired/pushed her into killing herself. Others say it shows the gun store after she has visited, and that it is an indication that Axl is too late to stop her. A last theory is that the bride was killed on the wedding day during the "November Rain" storm that begins to fall at the reception. After a lightning strike, we see the bride's bouquet hits a casket in a slow-motion sequence. This may imply that she was struck by lightning and killed instantly.

Looking closely, one will notice Axl Rose is not present during the burial scenes. Rose failed to show up on on the day the burial of Seymour's character was shot. Reportedly, he had gone to a dentist appointment and failed to let any of the cast or crew know. The decision was made to shoot Rose by himself at the grave site in the rain at night as the ending image for the video
Chute Boxe

Postby ToddParker » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:44 pm

Feelin like Slash outside of the chapel, im leaned back with the les paul...
ToddParker

Postby DaftSpunk » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:52 pm

I was waiting for the dolphin scene the entire time before I realized it was a different music video.
DaftSpunk

Postby SteveFischer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:52 pm

Literally my favorite song.
I've explicitly told various family and friends I want it played at my funeral.

Hopefully I embedded that right, but there's the making of NR.
SteveFischer

Postby clubclub » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:08 am

eatroffles wrote:
hands that mold wrote:the fucking 18th century aristocratic suit thing he's wearing gets me every time

He looks like Siegfried/Nightmare from Soul Calibur and it's so funny

:smt005
clubclub
nigga deutschland

Postby Mana Leak » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:16 am

NOTHING holds a candle
Mana Leak

Postby midnightmass » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:17 pm

well-deserved bump for the crown jewel of butt rock
midnightmass

Postby No Doz » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:34 pm

As far as classic rock is concerned, Slash is the GOAT
No Doz

Postby lala fuck you » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:43 pm

been jamming don't cry a lot lately
lala fuck you

Postby lala fuck you » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:45 pm

xpatx wrote:Did we ever find out what this video meant? I vaguely remember MTV making a big deal about revealing what it was about, like if axl killed his wife or something. It was part of that video trilogy along with don't cry and estranged. Supposedly they were all connected.

yes

what about the fucking dolphins?
lala fuck you

Postby midnightmass » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:50 pm

I think they did the dolphin bit because that was some badass CG at the time. it was the t1000 of music videos.
midnightmass

Postby speak your door » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:19 pm

Chute Boxe wrote:

As it's stated at the end of the video, "November Rain" is based on the short story "Without You" by Del James, available in James' 1995 book The Language of Fear. That short story would have an obvious appeal to Axl Rose, as it describes the misery of a former multi-platinum blues-influenced rock star, now so drunk and drug-addled he never knows what day it is, who reminisces over an on-and-off-again relationship. He leaves this erstwhile girlfriend a telephone message, becomes concerned when she doesn't answer, and then goes to her apartment, kicking down her door to find she had just shot herself in the head while listening to his music.

The lyrics to "November Rain" do not discuss the suicide issue, only the tempestuous relationship. According to one interpretation, the lyrics are from a man to a former girlfriend, saying how the troubled times (the 'cold November rain') will not last forever, and that he is willing to give her time alone if she will come back to him. The video, on the other hand, follows the short story more closely, from love and life, through to death and the funeral of the bride. Although the video doesn't explain how the girlfriend died, it can be seen, by looking at the girlfriend in the casket, that there is a line down her face; that is, a mirror.

This appears at the 7:21 mark in the video. Families of head-trauma victims, who want to have an open-casket funeral, can use a mirror reflecting the intact side of the face to make the deceased appear whole. It can therefore be inferred that, as in the short story, the girlfriend was shot in the head. This scene implies that Seymour shot herself.

However, another theory (though much less popular) involves an early reference in which Axl walks alone at night, past a gunshop with an open door, which can be seen at the 5:36 mark in the video. Some view this scene as an indication that Axl was the shooter: the suicide/homicide ambiguity corresponds to the storied protagonist's guilt over precipitating the suicide. Many, however, just think the gun store was a reference to the band name, because of the florists' shop adjacent to the gun shop.

Some think that Axl walking past the gun store is a metaphor; that he didn't physically shoot her, but he inspired/pushed her into killing herself. Others say it shows the gun store after she has visited, and that it is an indication that Axl is too late to stop her. A last theory is that the bride was killed on the wedding day during the "November Rain" storm that begins to fall at the reception. After a lightning strike, we see the bride's bouquet hits a casket in a slow-motion sequence. This may imply that she was struck by lightning and killed instantly.

Looking closely, one will notice Axl Rose is not present during the burial scenes. Rose failed to show up on on the day the burial of Seymour's character was shot. Reportedly, he had gone to a dentist appointment and failed to let any of the cast or crew know. The decision was made to shoot Rose by himself at the grave site in the rain at night as the ending image for the video

well there you go.
speak your door

Postby speak your door » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:22 pm

gary from teen mom 2 wrote:could you imagine getting away with showing up to gigs 2-4 hours late like Axl did? Besides shitty rap acts that could never happen modern day.

as much as people want to say that nirvana killed butt rock, appetite for destruction outsold nevermind
speak your door

Postby No Doz » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:10 pm

speak your door wrote:
gary from teen mom 2 wrote:could you imagine getting away with showing up to gigs 2-4 hours late like Axl did? Besides shitty rap acts that could never happen modern day.

as much as people want to say that nirvana killed butt rock, appetite for destruction outsold nevermind

appetite also had about a half a decade's head start
No Doz

Postby gary from teen mom 2 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:57 pm

Didn't metallica open for gnr and play them off at age every night
gary from teen mom 2

Postby lala fuck you » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:03 am

Ron Artest wrote:
lala fuck you wrote:been jamming don't cry a lot lately

Is this also on high rotation?
Spoiler: show

:smt005 no but i did had slave to the grind on cassette when it came out
lala fuck you

Postby midnightmass » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:25 am

gary from teen mom 2 wrote:Didn't metallica open for gnr and play them off at age every night

i think ice t was on this bill as well...
midnightmass

Postby gary from teen mom 2 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:49 am

Judas Priest.
gary from teen mom 2

Postby nigguh p » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:45 pm

easily one of the greatest songs ever written

BUT

patience >>>>>>>>>
nigguh p
P Dizzle the Edge Breaker

Postby midnightmass » Sat May 21, 2016 6:53 pm

The one constant in our lives is that this will be the greatest jam in history
midnightmass

Postby Spider Jerusalem » Sat May 21, 2016 7:02 pm

The Video for You Could Be Mine > November Rain video.
Spider Jerusalem

Postby midnightmass » Sat May 21, 2016 7:54 pm

You could be mine was easily the highlight of terminator 2. The effects look so dated, yet gnr is timeless
midnightmass

Postby ToddParker » Tue May 24, 2016 9:49 pm

midnightmass wrote:You could be mine was easily the highlight of terminator 2. The effects look so dated, yet gnr is timeless

Great song. I disagree though, im not mad at the effects at all.
ToddParker

Postby lala fuck you » Wed May 25, 2016 12:39 pm

midnightmass wrote:
gary from teen mom 2 wrote:Didn't metallica open for gnr and play them off at age every night

i think ice t was on this bill as well...

metallica and gnr were both headliners, faith no more opened
lala fuck you

Postby nerd eater » Wed May 25, 2016 12:46 pm

I wonder how many strippers who work in seedy clubs on county roads use the name November Rain.
nerd eater
Skott's Friend

Postby midnightmass » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:09 pm

gonna hear this live for the first time august 15 hopefully
midnightmass

Postby alexo505 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:14 pm

My gf used to be a radio DJ in North Dakota, and told me that she would get this guy every other day who always requested this song and would tell her every time that it was his and his ex wife's favorite song. Drove her nuts.
alexo505

Postby midnightmass » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:18 pm

i would buy that creepy ass dude a beer
midnightmass

Postby midnightmass » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:55 pm

annual bump
midnightmass

Postby B-Roll » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:09 am

Mana Leak wrote:NOTHING holds a candle

This went overlooked.
B-Roll

Postby RazorWristedKid » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:32 pm

Sleeper song I always loved was Civil War
RazorWristedKid

Postby SteveFischer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:49 am

RazorWristedKid wrote:Sleeper song I always loved was Civil War

It's great. Even better live.
SteveFischer

Postby TodayWeLive » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:42 am

RazorWristedKid wrote:Sleeper song I always loved was Civil War

Yup.

I feel like I said that not too long ago, when we had another GNR thread here, or when the topic of them came up. If I had to pick a song off those albums (Use Your Illusion's one and two), it would definitely be that one.
TodayWeLive

Postby The Toxic Avenger » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:15 am

i think the song sucks tbh
The Toxic Avenger
stop me. you wont.

Postby T. Sharky » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:01 am

The video is the best.
I like when Slash cannot find the ring and the pastor is like "derp" and Duff is like "hey slash, here it is on me bicycling glove with a dodgy logo ya nimmer" and when slash delivers it the preacher is all like you nutty rockers you
T. Sharky

Next