B9 INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY FUNBOIZ

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby degradation » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:00 am

i'm half of the IT department (my lead and i) for a lighting solution company filled with divas (engineers, amirite), just providing general support.

what do you do?
are you happy with what you're doing?
what are your long-term goals?
Last edited by degradation on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
degradation
BIGGEST ASSHOLE ON THE B9 EVER!!!!111!!!

Postby degradation » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:17 pm

please bitch about your job, so i don't feel so badly about mine.
degradation

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:23 pm

I am going to fucking blow my brains out.
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Location: And then you have Kerry King who’s like ‘You see? You see these tribal tattoos?

Postby degradation » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:25 pm

Avoidance Learning wrote:I am going to fucking blow my brains out.

have you thought about where you're going to be or what you're going to be doing when you're 50+? i think about this all the time and freak myself out. i can't picture 65 year old me, grasping anything technological... especially with moore's law at work. i can't even begin to imagine what the field is going to look like 35 years from now.
degradation

Postby peteooo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:30 pm

I'm a Linux Sysadmin for a startup. This job would 1000x more bearable if on-call didn't exist. Fuck getting woken up at 1:30AM to restart Apache on a non-production server.
peteooo

Postby degradation » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:13 am

who here got their certs as opposed to a formal education?
degradation

Postby Avoidance Learning » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:50 am

:smt006
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Location: And then you have Kerry King who’s like ‘You see? You see these tribal tattoos?

Postby degradation » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:52 am

are you planning to stick with your company, or move from place to place? i know a lot of dudes who change jobs every couple years... but i stayed with my first job in the field for 4.5 years.
degradation

Postby Avoidance Learning » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:01 am

I'm staying with Dell until further notice because they'll pay for any cert within their network that I want to pursue. and they match cent for cent on 401k.
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Postby trentxedge » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:45 am

Posting because this is what i'm going to school for.
trentxedge

Postby mindlis » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:50 am

I'm doing QA testing for a textbook publisher's website, which I don't have any formal training for. It has led me to decide to more aggressively pursue certifications for IT stuff and take some programming classes. I would love to be able to do something like this or similar for my career.
mindlis

Postby B-Roll » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:43 am

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
B-Roll

Postby degradation » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:46 pm

no joke... i've been doing this shit for over 5 years, and only last month marked the second time asking if a user's computer was plugged in, actually resolved the issue... technically it was the first time, as the other first time, it was a desk calculator someone called me about.
degradation

Postby degradation » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:31 pm

READ-ONLY FRIDAY, BOIZZZ
degradation

Postby degradation » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:31 pm

4 cups of coffee today, so far.
degradation

Postby degradation » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:49 pm

also, for the past hour, i have been coiling leftover cat5 from this project:

degradation

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:24 pm

that cable....erm...management.. makes my stomach hurt.
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Postby skeephop » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:01 am

idk, server rack looks fairly clean. i should take some pictures of ours (I work for IT in the public sector supporting park rangers). not that ours is super messy, but i'd assume private sector stuff looks a lot cleaner. i work under a couple people who have been there for 25+ years.. they care more about appeasing the permanent employees than setting up stuff that works well into the future. my term is up in a couple weeks and I'm pretty excited to get out. public sector is just a major clusterfuck because of high turnover.. and the permanents are the definition of an old boys network.

don't do IT in the public sector to advance yourself... but at the same time, if you can obtain a permanent position, do it, you'll be set for life.
skeephop
hosebeast jr.

Postby Avoidance Learning » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:09 am

Dudes chatting in to American support to get support on Indian systems... c'mon son
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Postby degradation » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:09 am

skeephop wrote:idk, server rack looks fairly clean. i should take some pictures of ours (I work for IT in the public sector supporting park rangers). not that ours is super messy, but i'd assume private sector stuff looks a lot cleaner.

it looks cleaner now... the first pic was the before shot. the white cable pic was the after shot. all those reds and blues were dangling about 3 or 4 feet below the rack. i could have made the whites nicer, but i by the time i was done swapping the switches and patch panels around, i was sweating and didn't feel like straightening the shorter cables for another 45 minutes.
degradation

Postby degradation » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:40 pm

i need to try finding all the pics i took of the data center my former boss and i built at my last job. really proud of that room... aside from the structural design flaws that the owner of the company insisted on implementing because he obviously knew better.
degradation

Postby mindlis » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:58 pm

I guess IT was doing maintenance over the weekend and something broke so all our test servers are down. We were supposed to be launching new features today, but I guess that's not happening.
mindlis

Postby degradation » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:01 am

i guess i have a new direct boss who operates out of HQ down south, as opposed to my friend who hired me here locally. apparently there's just a "dotted line" on the org chart connecting us now. i spoke with my new boss on the phone (whom i've spoken with previously regarding technical stuff), and he's pretty cool, but it feels like he's priming me to take over for my previous boss, and then made it sound like my previous boss was moving further away from IT.

i would absolutely love to be in charge of this ship, but honestly, i still don't feel like i'm skilled enough to do that. i suppose being thrown in the pool without swimmies is the only way.
degradation

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:18 am

Hey I'm still going to blow out my brains.
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Postby LEMON!!!!!!!!!! » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:18 am

"How did you get into, where is somewhere good to start to try and learn? Whether it be school/certifications anything along those lines?

Im 24, and what im doing now just isnt cutting it and im thinking of trying to get into some kind of IT job even at ground level."

Just gonna copy and paste from my previous thread because i was directed here! Any advice is greatly appreciated
LEMON!!!!!!!!!!
Bucket of Shit

Postby degradation » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:27 am

i was lucky enough to be friends with a guy who managed IT (1 man department) for a small business, and convinced the owner to let him hire someone. i was basically self-taught when it came to pretty much everything, and google took care of the rest. i got my foot in the door that way, and learned stuff as i worked.

depending on your location, you could apply to go to EMC2 bootcamp to become a field tech... you sign a 2 year contract, and they teach you everything you need to know within a few months. you get put in a hotel, and pay you while you're in training. they cover pretty much everything, and then you have a job within the company when you're done. not sure what the hiring process is like for that, but i know a guy who did it for a few years and enjoyed himself. you get to drive a lot.
degradation

Postby Chris M. » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:08 am

Avoidance Learning wrote:Dudes chatting in to American support to get support on Indian systems... c'mon son

have you ever had to deal w/ overseas support?

most of the questions i field from "experts" within our company in asia and europe are mundane, straight from the manual BS.
Chris M.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:12 am

Chris M. wrote:
Avoidance Learning wrote:Dudes chatting in to American support to get support on Indian systems... c'mon son

have you ever had to deal w/ overseas support?

most of the questions i field from "experts" within our company in asia and europe are mundane, straight from the manual BS.

yes, not as often in an enterprise setting, but in client fucking constantly. The part that's annoying is that I can't do ANYTHING for them if it's a US-registered system. I can only direct them to a transfer of ownership form, then provide them the proper number to reach out to, as almost no other country in our org has chat support.
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Postby LEMON!!!!!!!!!! » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:32 am

degradation wrote:i was lucky enough to be friends with a guy who managed IT (1 man department) for a small business, and convinced the owner to let him hire someone. i was basically self-taught when it came to pretty much everything, and google took care of the rest. i got my foot in the door that way, and learned stuff as i worked.

depending on your location, you could apply to go to EMC2 bootcamp to become a field tech... you sign a 2 year contract, and they teach you everything you need to know within a few months. you get put in a hotel, and pay you while you're in training. they cover pretty much everything, and then you have a job within the company when you're done. not sure what the hiring process is like for that, but i know a guy who did it for a few years and enjoyed himself. you get to drive a lot.

I'll look uinto that EMC2 bootcamp today. Does it apply other places in the fields if you go through this camp(like for future jobs with experience/etc)
LEMON!!!!!!!!!!
Bucket of Shit

Postby xmilestogox » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:57 am

How many of you guys work for an MSP/consulting company versus being in-house IT? I've always been in-house (at different companies) and I think that kind of hindered me in a way, since doing the consulting thing means you get to dabble in pretty much everything. Although being 6+ years into the field there's no way I'd go to consulting now due to all the horror stories I've heard from those who do that.
xmilestogox

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:16 pm

I work for a server manufacturer directly, so kind of the former, but not quite.
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Postby bruiseology » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:20 pm

degradation wrote:who here got their certs as opposed to a formal education?
Looking into this. Where do I start? CompTIA? MCP?
bruiseology

Postby degradation » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:38 pm

i don't think it matters much which one you start first, with the exception of A+... i think you have until September to complete that certification to be grandfathered into only having to re-cert every 5 years or something like that, versus every 2 years, as they're changing it... i think those are the numbers, i can't remember off the top of my head, and i'm too lazy to look it up atm
degradation

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:40 pm

A+ and Net+ will get you most jobs that are entry level, and are pretty cheap to take/study materials are cheap. The industry sure seems to like VMWare, so that's what I'm specializing in.
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Postby LEMON!!!!!!!!!! » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:46 pm

As far as getting A+ cert, how many classes/hours does it take to complete and get your certifcation (like would it be possible to finish before september like you said?) t
LEMON!!!!!!!!!!
Bucket of Shit

Postby oldorder » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:55 pm

How difficult are the certification classes? Like I looked into going into computer science in college and knew I wouldn't be able to complete Calc III after getting a C in Calc I twice. I'm guessing it's way more basic hardware and software stuff and not theoretical sort of design and programming?
oldorder
would rather die than not eat Taco Bell

Postby degradation » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:02 pm

i think you can just sign up and take the two tests and be done with it, but that's if you know all of the material. that doesn't take into account study time, and practical application.

different vendors will offer different course lengths, i think it's a matter of finding the right schedule for you. i mean, you also don't need to rush it either, now that i think about it, i think certs are valid for 3 years, and it's going down to 2. but really, that 1 year seems kinda negligible if you've already taken the tests before, and have been working directly with the equipment it covers.
degradation

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:03 pm

If you're in a rush, download brain dumps, and get a crack of exam view.
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Postby LEMON!!!!!!!!!! » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:08 pm

degradation wrote:i think you can just sign up and take the two tests and be done with it, but that's if you know all of the material. that doesn't take into account study time, and practical application.

different vendors will offer different course lengths, i think it's a matter of finding the right schedule for you. i mean, you also don't need to rush it either, now that i think about it, i think certs are valid for 3 years, and it's going down to 2. but really, that 1 year seems kinda negligible if you've already taken the tests before, and have been working directly with the equipment it covers.

Ya i wouldnt be rushing into it at all, the certification renewel doesn't seem like too much of a hassle anyways. I just didn't know if there are certain courses that need to be taken or yuo can just self teach yourself through books/etc
LEMON!!!!!!!!!!
Bucket of Shit

Postby bruiseology » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:15 pm

shitbag wrote:
degradation wrote:i think you can just sign up and take the two tests and be done with it, but that's if you know all of the material. that doesn't take into account study time, and practical application.

Ya i wouldnt be rushing into it at all, the certification renewel doesn't seem like too much of a hassle anyways. I just didn't know if there are certain courses that need to be taken or yuo can just self teach yourself through books/etc
I was going to start with a ...For Dummies.
bruiseology

Postby xmilestogox » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:34 pm

I've been thinking of trying to get some certs for so long, but I honestly don't think they've had an impact on me not getting a job. I'm wondering if I would be getting paid more if I had some though.
xmilestogox

Postby vomitponx » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:20 pm

are certs really worth it? i got my associates in science for computer science, and i missed the enrollment date for the school i want to go to so im going to be out of school for a year and thinking about taking some certs in the mean time to keep myself busy. but i dont really see jobs that require certs? are they mainly just to make your resume look better?
vomitponx

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:21 pm

vomitponx wrote:are certs really worth it? i got my associates in science for computer science, and i missed the enrollment date for the school i want to go to so im going to be out of school for a year and thinking about taking some certs in the mean time to keep myself busy. but i dont really see jobs that require certs? are they mainly just to make your resume look better?

Certs show real life understanding of computer/information systems, and most places would prefer that to a university degree.
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Postby vomitponx » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:46 pm

cool thanks man so a+ and net+ are must haves? are they any others that wouldnt hurt in getting. Im going for the web dev/dba/lamp job field
vomitponx

Postby oldorder » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:28 pm

xmilestogox wrote:I've been thinking of trying to get some certs for so long, but I honestly don't think they've had an impact on me not getting a job. I'm wondering if I would be getting paid more if I had some though.

I've heard from a web/app dev guy that formal education doesn't mean a thing if you have a really good portfolio and they can see first hand that you just write really good efficient code.

My question is this, I know I'm not a programming type of guy, like I've tried Java and C++ and it just doesn't click for me, but I love tinkering/troubleshooting and learning about how things work on probably a more superficial level. I've looked at some of the A+ cert test questions and stuff and I think it's all stuff I could pretty easily get my head around with some proper instruction. Would it be worth it for me to look into since I think I could get a grasp on hardware concepts easily and then the basic backend workings of Windows and networks with some formal education. Are there lots of jobs in that field where you aren't expected to have at least a basic understanding of actual coding? The last thing I want to do after being in debt to a useless degree is sign up for courses and be blown out of the water by the third lesson or so. If you grew up that kid that physically dissected their computer to see the components and have picked up a little understanding of how bigger systems work would that be enough?
oldorder
would rather die than not eat Taco Bell

Postby Avoidance Learning » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:30 pm

I do not respect anyone's take of "THIS IS A HIGH PROFILE SYSTEM SO WE DON'T CONFIGURE MANAGMENT SOFTWARE" at all. These people are scum and I want to go home.
Avoidance Learning
Is squirting pee?

Postby beldar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:56 pm

anybody fuck with code academy?
beldar
TEMPLE OF THE 300 GIRLFRIENDS

Postby whatever i do » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Anybody here into / work with VMWare?
whatever i do

Postby Head Trauma » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:06 am

I'm Help Desk for UC Davis Med Center and before that I was the IT department for some fly-by-night repo company locally. I can fuck with the Help Desk since it's graveyard so all I do is watching TV/Movies and answer like 4 calls a night.
Head Trauma

Postby xmilestogox » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:21 am

whatever i do wrote:Anybody here into / work with VMWare?

I've used it in the past but at my current job we use Citrix XenCenter.
xmilestogox

Next