Why does everybody look scene?

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby privilege » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:25 am

It used to be so easy to tell who is scene and who is not. Every other person looks scene nowadays. What did we start in this world? If anyone is confused by what I mean, let's post some evidence.
User avatar
privilege
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:09 pm
Location: NY

Postby privilege » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:26 am

Beards, flannel. This used to be only exclusive to Hot Water Music fans. Now, when I'm walking in Manhattan, everyone looks like a HWM fan.
User avatar
privilege
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:09 pm
Location: NY

Postby brenton » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:27 am

privilege wrote:It used to be so easy to tell who is scene and who is not. Every other person looks scene nowadays. What did we start in this world? If anyone is confused by what I mean, let's post some evidence.
User avatar
brenton
 
Posts: 13071
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: OAKLAND

Postby blackhawks#1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:28 am

brenton wrote:
privilege wrote:It used to be so easy to tell who is scene and who is not. Every other person looks scene nowadays. What did we start in this world? If anyone is confused by what I mean, let's post some evidence.

:smt005
I wish hellyesicheated had Beiber bangs
User avatar
blackhawks#1
HELL YES
 
Posts: 29905
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:39 am
Location: chicago

Postby spsp » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:45 am

i dress in jeans and a shirt and a pair of these pretty much every day
Image

but i do have a beard
am i scene
User avatar
spsp
 
Posts: 6990
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Postby Fantastic, Vol. 2 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:47 am

Nah I get what he's saying. I don't think "scene" is the appropriate word, but it's cool to dress like you're into "alternative culture" when you're not.
User avatar
Fantastic, Vol. 2
ok mr. mayor, feast your ears on that spin doctors mix
 
Posts: 7538
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 4:14 pm

Postby spsp » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:52 am

that's weird cause i only find normies on tinder
User avatar
spsp
 
Posts: 6990
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Postby dorkrock » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:53 am

blackhawks#1 wrote:
brenton wrote:
privilege wrote:It used to be so easy to tell who is scene and who is not. Every other person looks scene nowadays. What did we start in this world? If anyone is confused by what I mean, let's post some evidence.

:smt005
I wish hellyesicheated had Beiber bangs


Oh my fucking god
User avatar
dorkrock
Frig Newtons
 
Posts: 15205
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:10 pm
Location: up ur friggin butt

Postby dorkrock » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:54 am

Fantastic, Vol. 2 wrote:Nah I get what he's saying. I don't think "scene" is the appropriate word, but it's cool to dress like you're into "alternative culture" when you're not.


We are being infiltrated by undercover nermos
User avatar
dorkrock
Frig Newtons
 
Posts: 15205
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:10 pm
Location: up ur friggin butt

Postby Meatsauce » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:54 am

spsp wrote:i dress in jeans and a shirt and a pair of these pretty much every day
Image

but i do have a beard
am i scene


are the jeans cuffed?
User avatar
Meatsauce
 
Posts: 16677
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby spsp » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:57 am

i think i cuffed my jeans like, once. what does it all mean??
User avatar
spsp
 
Posts: 6990
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Postby Fantastic, Vol. 2 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:57 am

dorkrock wrote:
Fantastic, Vol. 2 wrote:Nah I get what he's saying. I don't think "scene" is the appropriate word, but it's cool to dress like you're into "alternative culture" when you're not.


We are being infiltrated by undercover nermos


we gotta send one of ours undercover....WHO WANTS TO GO TO EDC?!?
User avatar
Fantastic, Vol. 2
ok mr. mayor, feast your ears on that spin doctors mix
 
Posts: 7538
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 4:14 pm

Postby radiatedradiation » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:59 am

alternative culture has been reduced to vintage clothing and combed hair which you can learn more about at your local Urban
User avatar
radiatedradiation
 
Posts: 6180
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Postby captainsunshine » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:01 am

FASHION POLICE BRUTALITY
WIELD YOUR DICK OF FREEDOM
FROM MY FROM MY
SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
User avatar
captainsunshine
Frasier Superfan
 
Posts: 40083
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:18 pm
Location: Alfonso Ribeiro's Tear Ducts

Postby MODARIO STOMP » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:04 am

blackhawks#1 wrote:
brenton wrote:
privilege wrote:It used to be so easy to tell who is scene and who is not. Every other person looks scene nowadays. What did we start in this world? If anyone is confused by what I mean, let's post some evidence.

:smt005
I wish hellyesicheated had Beiber bangs


My neck hurts enough every day without my having to whip my bangs back every 2 minutes.

when did "scene" become an adjective?
MODARIO STOMP
ultimate nullifier
 
Posts: 63084
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:40 am

Postby Fantastic, Vol. 2 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:06 am

2004?
User avatar
Fantastic, Vol. 2
ok mr. mayor, feast your ears on that spin doctors mix
 
Posts: 7538
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 4:14 pm

Postby MODARIO STOMP » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:09 am

So around the same time emo became a noun.
MODARIO STOMP
ultimate nullifier
 
Posts: 63084
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:40 am

Postby Meatsauce » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:14 am

spsp wrote:i think i cuffed my jeans like, once. what does it all mean??


no cuff means youre just joe average wearing sensible shoes
cuffs mean youre a violent skinhead out to beat up minorities


BE CAREFUL
User avatar
Meatsauce
 
Posts: 16677
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby HULKSwagon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:17 am

I was expecting this thread to be about this.
Image
In which I haven't really seen since maybe 2009.
User avatar
HULKSwagon
 
Posts: 2897
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:25 am
Location: San Diego

Postby blackhawks#1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:19 am

I'm so glad I never put huge holes in my earlobes
User avatar
blackhawks#1
HELL YES
 
Posts: 29905
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:39 am
Location: chicago

Postby xNameHatex » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:20 am

i still define "scene" in 2005 myspace terms.
User avatar
xNameHatex
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:49 pm
Location: This is a man's world

Postby Mr. The Plague » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:20 am

Image
User avatar
Mr. The Plague
 
Posts: 20281
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:26 am
Location: Metro City

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:27 am

Anyone remember the term 'fashion core'?
User avatar
Guybrush Threepwood
I'm selling these fine leather jackets
 
Posts: 8996
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:02 am
Location: Winnipeg

Postby Metalfaced_DOOM » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:30 am

xNameHatex wrote:i still define "scene" in 2005 myspace terms.
User avatar
Metalfaced_DOOM
 
Posts: 4666
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:35 pm
Location: CA

Postby refill » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:44 am

blackhawks#1 wrote:I'm so glad I never put huge holes in my earlobes


This. I think I lucked out by being just old enough to think it was dumb.

I've been having OP's problem too since being back on the west coast. I can't tell who's into what anymore, when it used to be fairly easy. Oh well, that will all change when I'm back in the South.
User avatar
refill
 
Posts: 4718
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:17 pm
Location: Denver

Postby blackhawks#1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:45 am

refill wrote:
blackhawks#1 wrote:I'm so glad I never put huge holes in my earlobes


This. I think I lucked out by being just old enough to think it was dumb.

I've been having OP's problem too since being back on the west coast. I can't tell who's into what anymore, when it used to be fairly easy. Oh well, that will all change when I'm back in the South.

is it just me, or do 90% of southern men wear short sleeve polos and khakis? like... all the time. just something i've noticed.
southern men are hot as shit, by the way.
User avatar
blackhawks#1
HELL YES
 
Posts: 29905
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:39 am
Location: chicago

Postby refill » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:52 am

blackhawks#1 wrote:
refill wrote:
blackhawks#1 wrote:I'm so glad I never put huge holes in my earlobes


This. I think I lucked out by being just old enough to think it was dumb.

I've been having OP's problem too since being back on the west coast. I can't tell who's into what anymore, when it used to be fairly easy. Oh well, that will all change when I'm back in the South.

is it just me, or do 90% of southern men wear short sleeve polos and khakis? like... all the time. just something i've noticed.
southern men are hot as shit, by the way.


A lot do. My favorite variation is swapping out the polo for the fishing shirt, which girls also like to wear to the beach. This is pretty accurate, haircuts and all:
Image
User avatar
refill
 
Posts: 4718
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:17 pm
Location: Denver

Postby xauthenticx » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:53 am

when nermos go scene, scene goes normcore
User avatar
xauthenticx
 
Posts: 10133
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:16 pm
Location: crown heights, ny

Postby Matt V » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:18 am

Metalfaced_DOOM wrote:
xNameHatex wrote:i still define "scene" in 2005 myspace terms.
User avatar
Matt V
Internet Tough Guy
 
Posts: 13550
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 1:03 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Postby xtimx » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:33 am

This thread is fascinating.
User avatar
xtimx
bug chaser extraordinaire
 
Posts: 45715
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:02 pm
Location: Vinnland

Postby dark triad » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:36 am

Guybrush Threepwood wrote:Anyone remember the term 'fashion core'?


I still use this term.


refill wrote:Image


Bunch of fags.
User avatar
dark triad
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:09 am
Location: Chernobyl

Postby Wilson Phillips » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:41 am

dark triad wrote:
Guybrush Threepwood wrote:Anyone remember the term 'fashion core'?


I still use this term.


refill wrote:Image


Bunch of fags.


if buy fags you mean fun, awesome guys? Then yeah, I wanna party with them.
Wilson Phillips
 
Posts: 3736
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:32 pm
Location: vancouver island canada

Postby Meatsauce » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:51 am

i look at that picture and i hear kenny chesney
User avatar
Meatsauce
 
Posts: 16677
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby KyleBuck » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:06 pm

blackhawks#1 wrote:
refill wrote:
blackhawks#1 wrote:I'm so glad I never put huge holes in my earlobes


This. I think I lucked out by being just old enough to think it was dumb.

I've been having OP's problem too since being back on the west coast. I can't tell who's into what anymore, when it used to be fairly easy. Oh well, that will all change when I'm back in the South.

is it just me, or do 90% of southern men wear short sleeve polos and khakis? like... all the time. just something i've noticed.
southern men are hot as shit, by the way.

We do.
User avatar
KyleBuck
 
Posts: 2831
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Postby Iconoclast » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:11 pm

Meatsauce wrote:i look at that picture and i hear kenny chesney


At an uncomfortably loud level, while everyone attempts to yell over it
User avatar
Iconoclast
 
Posts: 30933
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:01 pm

Postby crossedout » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:15 pm

refill wrote:
blackhawks#1 wrote:
refill wrote:
blackhawks#1 wrote:I'm so glad I never put huge holes in my earlobes


This. I think I lucked out by being just old enough to think it was dumb.

I've been having OP's problem too since being back on the west coast. I can't tell who's into what anymore, when it used to be fairly easy. Oh well, that will all change when I'm back in the South.

is it just me, or do 90% of southern men wear short sleeve polos and khakis? like... all the time. just something i've noticed.
southern men are hot as shit, by the way.


A lot do. My favorite variation is swapping out the polo for the fishing shirt, which girls also like to wear to the beach. This is pretty accurate, haircuts and all:
Image


GOOOOO VOLS, BAYBAYYYYYY
User avatar
crossedout
 
Posts: 10530
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 6:50 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby blackhawks#1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:15 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
Meatsauce wrote:i look at that picture and i hear kenny chesney


At an uncomfortably loud level, while everyone attempts to yell over it

:smt005
User avatar
blackhawks#1
HELL YES
 
Posts: 29905
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:39 am
Location: chicago

Postby dark triad » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:17 pm

Kind of relevant to the topic, but why does everyone wear these winter hats? Like even in the summer, I see beanies everywhere.

Image

Is there a '90s grunge revival going on yet?
User avatar
dark triad
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:09 am
Location: Chernobyl

Postby MODARIO STOMP » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:20 pm

I hope so. My closet is ready.
MODARIO STOMP
ultimate nullifier
 
Posts: 63084
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:40 am

Postby blackhawks#1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:21 pm

trends supposedly recycle themselves every ~20 years.
User avatar
blackhawks#1
HELL YES
 
Posts: 29905
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:39 am
Location: chicago

Postby dark triad » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:23 pm

Yeah I'm starting to see the Seattle scene circa 1993 coming back.
User avatar
dark triad
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:09 am
Location: Chernobyl

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:42 pm

I have some legit hipster toques from way back in the day. I should eBay that shit.
User avatar
Guybrush Threepwood
I'm selling these fine leather jackets
 
Posts: 8996
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:02 am
Location: Winnipeg

Postby dorkrock » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:57 pm

I'm not EMO IM SCENE
User avatar
dorkrock
Frig Newtons
 
Posts: 15205
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:10 pm
Location: up ur friggin butt

Postby thathorates » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:58 pm

Guybrush Threepwood wrote:Anyone remember the term 'fashion core'?


Unfortunately, those guys that made those shirts went to high school a town over from me. Bunch of assholes.
User avatar
thathorates
 
Posts: 1981
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:15 am
Location: queens

Postby Roofies Pizza » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:59 pm

Is it popular to have emotions in the scene? Because I have emotions.
User avatar
Roofies Pizza
 
Posts: 26782
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:05 am
Location: Washington state

Postby dorkrock » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:06 pm

Roofies Pizza wrote:Is it popular to have emotions in the scene? Because I have emotions.


dear diary my teen angst has a body count
User avatar
dorkrock
Frig Newtons
 
Posts: 15205
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:10 pm
Location: up ur friggin butt

Postby Roofies Pizza » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:11 pm

dorkrock wrote:
Roofies Pizza wrote:Is it popular to have emotions in the scene? Because I have emotions.


dear diary my teen angst has a body count


:smt005 :pizzaeater:
User avatar
Roofies Pizza
 
Posts: 26782
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:05 am
Location: Washington state

Postby silence » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:11 pm

people tell me i look scene. i think its because of my hair. i have really curly/wavy hair and i hate it so i flat iron it.
User avatar
silence
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:54 pm
Location: NJ

Postby junglejamz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:15 pm

silence wrote:people tell me i look scene. i think its because of my hair. i have really curly/wavy hair and i hate it so i flat iron it.

Get a fuckin haircut hippy
User avatar
junglejamz
 
Posts: 2672
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:25 am
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park

Postby silence » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:16 pm

junglejamz wrote:
silence wrote:people tell me i look scene. i think its because of my hair. i have really curly/wavy hair and i hate it so i flat iron it.

Get a fuckin haircut hippy

its short
User avatar
silence
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:54 pm
Location: NJ

Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Bing [Bot], Frederik, LeftHandLaugh, Tomas-2 and 52 guests