Disney Theme Parks Appreesh

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby False Finish Pins » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:07 am

BobbyxBrother wrote:If a corndog isn't #1, fix your list.

You are vastly underestimating the menu options at the food & wine festival.
False Finish Pins

Postby StabMasterArson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:40 am

That spicy corn dog from the Corn Dog Castle was my shit
StabMasterArson

Postby macho insecurity » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:53 am

False Finish Pins wrote:

You are vastly underestimating the menu options at the food & wine festival.

Haha
macho insecurity
sucked his dad's dick for free

Postby jonny bank » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:13 am

10 days til I'm down at WDW. Getting super pumped.
jonny bank

Postby brianerickson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:44 am

I took my yearly trip down to Disneyland back in July

it was great to see Space Mountain back the way it was supposed to be, and Guardians was actually really well done; as someone that visits the parks on both coasts, having a unique drop ride at each one is pretty tops; especially because California's Tower was never going to touch the real one
brianerickson

Postby Disco2000 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:39 am

brianerickson wrote:I took my yearly trip down to Disneyland back in July

it was great to see Space Mountain back the way it was supposed to be, and Guardians was actually really well done; as someone that visits the parks on both coasts, having a unique drop ride at each one is pretty tops; especially because California's Tower was never going to touch the real one

I never got to do OG ToT in DL. What was different about it compared to DW??
Disco2000

Postby False Finish Pins » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:06 am

There's no 5th dimension scene, you briefly pause at a video mirror instead of the hallway scene and the drop was always the same.
False Finish Pins

Postby Disco2000 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:32 am

Debating even hitting up Hollywood Studios on this trip. Nothing really worth going for at this point. I love Aerosmith, but I usually have a headache for the rest of the day after I ride it. ToT is cool too, but yeah. No Great Movie Ride is whack as hell.
Disco2000

Postby brianerickson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:44 am

Disco2000 wrote:Debating even hitting up Hollywood Studios on this trip. Nothing really worth going for at this point. I love Aerosmith, but I usually have a headache for the rest of the day after I ride it. ToT is cool too, but yeah. No Great Movie Ride is whack as hell.

Yeah, it's going to take a while for me to get over losing the Great Movie Ride, but, at the very least, the ride they're replacing it with seems neat enough

I always just rope drop Hollywood Studios one day, mostly just to get the obligatory Tower of Terror/Midway Mania/Muppetvision 3D visits out of the way; it's worth a couple of hours still, but, yeah, after I almost immediately just head for the boat to EPCOT
brianerickson

Postby Disco2000 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:54 am

brianerickson wrote:
Disco2000 wrote:Debating even hitting up Hollywood Studios on this trip. Nothing really worth going for at this point. I love Aerosmith, but I usually have a headache for the rest of the day after I ride it. ToT is cool too, but yeah. No Great Movie Ride is whack as hell.

Yeah, it's going to take a while for me to get over losing the Great Movie Ride, but, at the very least, the ride they're replacing it with seems neat enough

I always just rope drop Hollywood Studios one day, mostly just to get the obligatory Tower of Terror/Midway Mania/Muppetvision 3D visits out of the way; it's worth a couple of hours still, but, yeah, after I almost immediately just head for the boat to EPCOT

I'm doing Animal Kingdom right when it opens, then Epcot for food and wine fest, if there's time I want to hit Magic Kingdom, and if I still have time after that I'll hit Hollywood. I'm going to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal that night, so odds are I won't have time for all the parks.
Disco2000

Postby brianerickson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:00 am

What happens at Halloween Horror Nights again? I've never been much of a horror movie fan (curious, because I do enjoy some of the classic Univeral monsters), so I guess I never really looked into it

Different sets are set up like different movies, something like that?
brianerickson

Postby Disco2000 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:06 am

brianerickson wrote:What happens at Halloween Horror Nights again? I've never been much of a horror movie fan (curious, because I do enjoy some of the classic Univeral monsters), so I guess I never really looked into it

Different sets are set up like different movies, something like that?

Yeah its basically just haunted houses set up throughout the park. There's a lot of movie related ones, and they also have some original ones. The houses this year are The Shining, Saw, American Horror Story, Ash VS Evil Dead, and one that Sinister/The Purge/Insidious all in one. There's also a couple scare zones set up in the park that you walk through. Rides are open too, so you can do those in addition to getting SPOOKED.
Disco2000

Postby brianerickson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:17 am

ah, word; maybe I'll check it out one of these years

Universal is a nice little addition to the Orlando theme park experience; they're not going to completely divert people's attention from Disney, and they don't actually try to; they have a handful of legit fun rides (Simpsons, Jurassic Park, Spider-Man, Men in Black, Cat in the Hat, E.T., The Mummy...I've heard good things about the coasters but I can't do coasters with inversions)...I've been thinking of taking another trip down that way myself
brianerickson

Postby False Finish Pins » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:20 am

DHS is definitely now a half day park, especially if you don't care about character meets. Since my annual pass comes with park hopper, I'll start at studios and then head over to Epcot to continue food & wine indulgence.
False Finish Pins

Postby Disco2000 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:25 am

brianerickson wrote:ah, word; maybe I'll check it out one of these years

Universal is a nice little addition to the Orlando theme park experience; they're not going to completely divert people's attention from Disney, and they don't actually try to; they have a handful of legit fun rides (Simpsons, Jurassic Park, Spider-Man, Men in Black, Cat in the Hat, E.T., The Mummy...I've heard good things about the coasters but I can't do coasters with inversions)...I've been thinking of taking another trip down that way myself

Yo I love Universal. I'm staying on site for this trip, and hitting up their new water park which is connected to the hotel.
Should be rad
Disco2000

Postby brianerickson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:28 am

If it wasn't 60 percent motion simulators, I'd like it a lot more
brianerickson

Postby macho insecurity » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:31 am

^ agreed. i find Universal incredibly boring. i get the hype around their halloween events because they probably do it better than anyone else, but the park itself just sucks.

they don't invest the money into updating rides like Disney does. Disney loves to make improvements for guest satisfaction. meanwhile, Universal hasn't bothered updating Jurassic Park in well over 20 years. the fucking effects and animatronics look dated as fuck.
macho insecurity

Postby vomitponx » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:43 am

i usually only go to universal during horror nights. ive gone a few times outside of horror nights and it does get pretty boring. the only rides i care about there are jurassic park and the mummy the simpsons one is ok but i dont like simulator rides. the simpsons area is cool as well.
vomitponx

Postby brianerickson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:45 am

I remember actually laughing out loud when I discovered that Spider-Man and the Transformers ride were the exact same thing with a different skin
brianerickson

Postby Disco2000 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:12 pm

brianerickson wrote:I remember actually laughing out loud when I discovered that Spider-Man and the Transformers ride were the exact same thing with a different skin

I didn't even know that :smt043
I can see how it would get boring, especially if you don't dig the simulator type rides. That Simpsons ride fucks me up!
I feel like They are starting to step their game up though, Volcano Bay just opened this summer, they're starting to build Nintendo World, another Harry Potter related ride, 2 new on site hotels, and apparently adding a third park with its own city walk?
Disco2000

Postby False Finish Pins » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:19 pm

The best part is Universal's expansion is it woke the sleeping giant of Disney, who had very much become complacent. As cool as the Fantasyland expansion was, it was mostly done to increased capacity and was spread out over a long period of time. Everything from the D23 announcements, especially Toy Story Land because of how relatively quickly it will open, the long overdue update to Future World and the sheer scale of the Star Wars construction, those are leaps by Disney standards.
False Finish Pins

Postby Disco2000 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:22 pm

Yes very exited for all the new shit at BOTH Disney as well as Universal.
Disco2000

Postby antipasto » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:13 pm

Space mountain is spooky
antipasto

Postby chadinati » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:04 pm

Trying to plan a DW trip in early December for my girlfriend and I in celebration of finishing grad school. Thinkings 3-4 days, a long weekend kinda thing. Hoping it'll be dead-ish/far enough away from Christmas. We're both in our late 20s, the highlight will be the Harry Potter thing for sure but wondering if anyone had any resources for sample itineraries or advice for noobs? We both went once when we were too little to understand what's going on so we don't know shit. I didn't even know harry potter world wasn't actually in disney world until two weeks ago.

What parks should we hit?
Is the actual Disney park lame for adults?
Stay in the park? Where?
Are we gonna get mobbed with Christmas crowds the first week of december?
Am I fucked trying to plan this only a month out?
Fast Pass thing worth it? It seems really complicated...
Basically anything we should know would be helpful. It's hard to research because there's too much stuff online about it, and it's mostly aimed towards families.
chadinati

Postby False Finish Pins » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm

chadinati wrote:What parks should we hit?

seems at least one of your days will be spent at universal, it has 2 parks Studios and Islands of Adventure. They very intentionally split Harry Potter stuff into both parks. Depending on your interests that can be worth 1 or 2 days. Ticket format either allows for admission to 1 park per day or for an added fee, admission to multiple parks per day, referred to as "park hopping". Whether its worth it or not depends on personal aggressiveness and time management.

chadinati wrote:Is the actual Disney park lame for adults?

for Disney, I personally rank them Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios. Wanting to drink may push EPCOT higher on your list as MK is mostly a dry park. Studios is in the midst of a major renovation and as a result a large number of attractions have been closed. This potentially makes this park skippable in that there isnt enough to justify an entire day there. If you park hop, its worth it because it has some of the best attractions in Star Tours, Toy Story Midway Mania, Tower of Terror and RocknRollercoaster. Similarly, AK used to be a half day park, but the recent addition of Pandora has changed that. I dont give half a fuck about Avatar and Flight of Passage is simply the best ride at WDW now. The catch here is its also crowded as fuck, the line regularly hits 2 hours, so if you dont get a fast pass, you may be better off using your time elsewhere given the short length of your trip. EPCOT has a couple of fun rides, a bunch of good food and December features the International Festival of the Holidays, which adds seasonal food items from those countries. Magic Kingdom is quintessential Disney, the theming is good, the rides are aimed at kids but enjoyable for adults.

chadinati wrote:Stay in the park? Where?

This is all about cost for convenience. the area is covered in hotels of every brand you can think of. park hotels cost more, but give you proximity. Disney provide bus, boat and monorail transportation on property, Universal hotels are basically across the street from their parks. Disney and Universal are about 20 minutes apart, so transportation is a thing you have to consider

chadinati wrote:Are we gonna get mobbed with Christmas crowds the first week of december?

its actually a relatively dead time. people either just had thanksgiving off or are about to have Xmas off, so there is a decent lull between them

chadinati wrote:Am I fucked trying to plan this only a month out?

nah, you can totally do all sorts of shit.

chadinati wrote:Fast Pass thing worth it? It seems really complicated...

The important thing is the systems are VERY different between Disney and Universal. Universal is multi tiered pay system, one for each park and one for both. one level that permits one line pass at a time and another that allows unlimited concurrent line passes.

Disney is free with admission, includes 3 initial 1 hour line pass windows for specific attractions based on availability (such as Space Mountain 855am-955am) at a single park per day, (meaning you make them all for MK, all for EPCOT, etc). After you've used those, you get 1 rolling 4th pass that can be made, used and then a new one can be made. The downside is popular rides run out early, which leaves you using the regular line.
False Finish Pins

Postby chadinati » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:09 am

Dang this is all really helpful, thanks man! The Disney park ranking is helpful. Our initial thought based on very little research was to get a Universal 2 day pass deal thing and stay there, and go to magic kingdom the third day just for the experience and do the whole haunted mansion/space mountain/all that. Would staying in Disney be cooler? Should we devote more time there instead of Universal?

Neither of us drink, so Epcot is kinda whatever sans the food. Don't really care about animal kingdom, Hollywood seemed kinda cool but the closures thing is good Intel. Neither of us are like diehard coaster/thrill fanatics or anything either. I grew up in Ohio going to cedar point and kings island so I got that out of my system. Still enjoy them occasionally, though. Mostly just looking for a chill trip to experience some cool shit. Cheap is cool, but want the real deal experience as much as possible.
chadinati

Postby BobbyxBrother » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:07 am

I finally ate at Carthay Circle this past Sunday, and it did not disappoint. I got a big ass piece of filet mignon with couscous and pumpkin. The lady friend got swordfish with artichokes and other veggies. And we got an order of civiche, she got a drink, and I got this mixed berry lemonade. With my pass(Signature), I got 15% off, and it ended up being about $150 for the both of us after tip.

I jokingly called it the poor man's Club 33, but I would go back in a heartbeat, and their menu is seasonal.
BobbyxBrother

Postby macho insecurity » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:19 am

Carthay is great. i was at Disneyland on Saturday and, while packed, the lines weren't horrible at all. longest wait was Indy @ 40 mins.

having to pay full price of peak admission for my friend and brother was painful though. i like to be generous, but it was 550 bucks for 3 people. how do families do this shit?
macho insecurity

Postby BobbyxBrother » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:23 am

I've been in the lounge, which was nice, but only has like 4 appetizers to choose from. But the dinner was super worth it.

As far as that price, fucking hell. Should've posted on Craigslist looking for a cast member to sign you in at like half the cost, if that. Or asked in here, I have a couple connections there with sign-ins/comp tickets from last Christmas still.
BobbyxBrother

Postby macho insecurity » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:27 am

yeah totally. i will think of that next time. or i might just use my brothers address and get a so cal pass (is that still possible?) since calgary to lax is only a 2.5 hour flight and i'm going to be in california way more often this year.
macho insecurity

Postby BobbyxBrother » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:30 am

SoCal Select is no longer a pass, but I think you might just wanna grab a Deluxe?
BobbyxBrother

Postby b andrus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Just spent 4 days at universal on site... DiD volcano bay Monday... did not wait more than 4 people on any water slide. It is an absolutely amazing water park
b andrus
barely passed library school

Postby Disco2000 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:38 pm

FACEPALM wrote:Just spent 4 days at universal on site... DiD volcano bay Monday... did not wait more than 4 people on any water slide. It is an absolutely amazing water park

Did Volcano Bay in September. Also had no waits for anything. Did the water coaster a few times, great park.
Where on site did you stay??
Disco2000

Postby b andrus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:49 pm

Cabana bay.. at checked in simply asked for a room with a view of volcano.. they said those rooms were $50 a night more but upgraded us for free.. we really loved the parks. They just started a light projection and firework display on Hogwarts and both places are decorated for christmas... I havnt read this thread before. I was surprised so many people were down on universal. Really enjoyed it all around. KONG, mummy, Harry potter were all really fun. I can see how people don't like the simulator rides but they were ok
b andrus

Postby b andrus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:50 pm

The actually volcano slides are really nuts
b andrus

Postby Disco2000 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:51 pm

I always stay at Cabana Bay when I go. It was key for Volcano Bay with its own entrance.
Disco2000

Postby b andrus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:54 pm

Disco2000 wrote:I always stay at Cabana Bay when I go. It was key for Volcano Bay with its own entrance.

Yea it was awsome to be able to step out the door and be there.. also walk back to your room with drinks.. the pools were nice also
b andrus

Postby Killedbyschool » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:57 pm

I'm going to be at Disneyland in a couple weeks thanks to a serendipitous work trip. What do I absolutely have to do/try/ride? I'm only going to be at the park for one day and only at Disneyland, not California adventure.
Killedbyschool

Postby False Finish Pins » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:09 pm

Haunted Mansion will still have the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay, the Indiana Jones ride is great, Roger Rabbit in ToonTown, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Big Thunder, whatever other coasters you have time for.
False Finish Pins

Postby Killedbyschool » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:31 pm

We're definitely doing Haunted mansion, but I was more referring to Christmas related stuff you can only do during Christmas.
Killedbyschool

Postby macho insecurity » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:46 pm

Nothing changes during Christmas except for HM. The ambience of the park does, however.
macho insecurity

Postby Killedbyschool » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:25 pm

They change all kinds of shit, new shows, new food etc etc.
Killedbyschool

Postby macho insecurity » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:13 am

Sounds like you have a pulse on it then. Why bother asking us?
macho insecurity

Postby BobbyxBrother » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:44 am

California Adventure has a bunch of different food stands until January 7th. They've got these mini cookie butter and jelly cheesecakes that I cannot recommend enough.
BobbyxBrother

Postby macho insecurity » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:47 am

those food stands were really cool. i only managed to stop by the beer one, but they had a pretty impressive variety of CA microbrewskis
macho insecurity

Postby Disco2000 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:49 am

Matterhorn Bobsleds, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise...
Disco2000

Postby BobbyxBrother » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:18 am

why do NFL players smoke weed if there are rules? wrote:those food stands were really cool. i only managed to stop by the beer one, but they had a pretty impressive variety of CA microbrewskis

I don't drink, but the lady I was with ended up getting some pomegranate beer that she was saying was really good. It smelled like a Christmas tree.
BobbyxBrother

Postby Giant Mechanical Brain » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:26 am

Yo, when's the best time of year to go to Disney World? Wanna go for about a week. Girlfriend is a teacher so she has Summers off but I'm assuming it's ass sweltering humid that time of year?
Giant Mechanical Brain

Postby Disco2000 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:22 pm

Giant Mechanical Brain wrote:Yo, when's the best time of year to go to Disney World? Wanna go for about a week. Girlfriend is a teacher so she has Summers off but I'm assuming it's ass sweltering humid that time of year?

I usually go in September/October. Still pretty hot but not as bad. Also the park looks cool when its decorated for Halloween.
Disco2000

Postby ooGracie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:40 pm

Going on Sunday -- we haven't used our passes nearly at all this year. Need to step up our game.
ooGracie
made out with Jesse Camp

PreviousNext