Star Wars Thread v. 2

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby uncledaddy69 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:30 am

I went looking for the original Star Wars thread so I could discuss my love of all things Star Wars with you idiots, but I couldn't find it. Here's a new one.
Discuss all things Star Wars here: movies, books, comics, video games, collectibles, etc...

uncledaddy69

Postby theonefreeman » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:39 am

I made the original Star Wars thread, but it eventually died out since it was just the same three people talking in it. I don't know why it was deleted since I have threads that haven't been posted in for two years in my posts section. Oh well.

Did anyone do any of the open auditions for Episode VII? I was going to go to one since they were doing it in Troy, which is about twenty minutes from me, but I decided that I wasn't good looking enough for it, so why waste my time? A lot of people are being connected to the new film, like Matt Smith from Doctor Who and Benedict Cumberpatch, but nothing is confirmed yet. Kind of a bummer since I was really hoping for a basic plot at this point. Literally the only things that have been confirmed about this movie are the release date (December 2015) and that R2-D2 will be in it.
Last edited by theonefreeman on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
theonefreeman
for your fucking health

Postby Felix Hoenikker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:40 am

Gold Leader standing by. :smt006
Felix Hoenikker

Postby uncledaddy69 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:45 am

theonefreeman wrote:I made the original Star Wars thread, but it eventually died out since it was just the same three people talking in it. I don't know why it was deleted since I have threads that haven't been posted in for two years in my posts section. Oh well.

Did anyone do any of the open auditions for Episode VII? I was going to go to one since they were doing it in Troy, which is about twenty minutes from me, but I decided that I wasn't good looking enough for it, so why waste my time? A lot of people are being connected to the new film, like Matt Smith from Doctor Who and Benedict Cumberpatch, but nothing is confirmed yet. Kind of a bummer since I was really hoping for a basic plot at this point. Literally the only things that have been confirmed about this movie are the release date (December 2015) and that R2-D2 will be in it.

I would have gone regardless; just knowing I tried out for Star Wars would be enough to make me happy.
uncledaddy69

Postby Bob Loblaw » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:48 am

Felix Hoenikker wrote:Gold Leader standing by. :smt006

Red 2 standing by. :pizzaeater:
Bob Loblaw

Postby theonefreeman » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:57 am

uncledaddy69 wrote:
theonefreeman wrote:I made the original Star Wars thread, but it eventually died out since it was just the same three people talking in it. I don't know why it was deleted since I have threads that haven't been posted in for two years in my posts section. Oh well.

I would have gone regardless; just knowing I tried out for Star Wars would be enough to make me happy.

That's the right attitude to have about it. However, I'm a weird guy and not getting the role after trying out (which was a one hundred percent certainty) would just bum me out, haha. The script you had to read from wasn't even related to Star Wars either. I think that online submissions can still be sent in.
theonefreeman
for your fucking health

Postby pontius » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:16 am

Yeah
Last edited by pontius on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pontius

Postby theonefreeman » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:22 am

Mace Windu has a few words for you. You're bumming Grizz Frix out too. Here's hoping Billy Dee comes back for VII though.
theonefreeman
for your fucking health

Postby pontius » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:32 am

Yes
Last edited by pontius on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pontius

Postby turd burglar » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:34 am

Captain tanaka as well you newbs
turd burglar
just a turd

Postby captainsunshine » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:54 am

captainsunshine
Frasier Superfan

Postby uncledaddy69 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:24 pm

Anyone else been reading this miniseries? I'm absolutely loving it so far.
uncledaddy69

Postby Killedbyschool » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:30 pm

Posting in a thread about one of my favorite things.
Killedbyschool

Postby b andrus » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:34 pm

pontius24 wrote:
theonefreeman wrote:Mace Windu has a few words for you. You're bumming Grizz Frix out too. Here's hoping Billy Dee comes back for VII though.

My mistake I did forget Samuel l Jackson. Idk who the other guy is or if he's from extra lore. Only seen the 6 movies.

man you really stepped in it in this thread
b andrus
barely passed library school

Postby McLegs » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:51 pm

uncledaddy69 wrote:Anyone else been reading this miniseries? I'm absolutely loving it so far.

Couldn't hang with this poorly written thing. I guess scripts go through multiple drafts for a reason.
Last edited by McLegs on Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McLegs

Postby Scrowl » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:57 pm

postin' to follow the thread :smt001
Scrowl

Postby pontius » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:58 pm

I know.
Last edited by pontius on Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
pontius

Postby Felix Hoenikker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:06 pm

For the longest time I never understood why Luke or Leia let Lando run in their crew. Then I got older and realize that, like he said, he had no choice. Whatcha gonna do, rat out one guy or risk the safety of an entire colony of people?

The other day I worked with a flight attendant that looked like a gay Lando. It was incredible.
Felix Hoenikker

Postby HunterWinstead » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Posting to say that I really miss watching Star Wars on a daily basis. Did anyone else go to the Celebration III in Indianapolis before III came out?
HunterWinstead

Postby Backup mod:) » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:15 pm

pontius24 wrote:They made the only black guy in the galaxy a snitch. Fuck that. Up the lando

Might wanna revisit the prequels.
Backup mod:)
ultimate nullifier

Postby Felix Hoenikker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:17 pm

HunterWinstead wrote:Posting to say that I really miss watching Star Wars on a daily basis. Did anyone else go to the Celebration III in Indianapolis before III came out?

I didn't go to III, but I did go to V and VI in Orlando and both were some of the most fun I've ever had. Really going to try and go to VII in Anaheim next year.
Felix Hoenikker

Postby Felix Hoenikker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:20 pm

Grizz Frix was a god damn hero, you son of a bitch.
Felix Hoenikker

Postby lil toyota girl » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:27 pm

The prequels are garbage. I can't think of any redeeming qualities aside from Jar Jar Binks' comic relief. I really wish they'd make a movie that focuses on Starkiller since he's fascinating and arguably the most powerful force user ever.
lil toyota girl

Postby kepp » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:44 pm

Saw this last week

kepp

Postby Killedbyschool » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:25 pm

So my friend and I have been speculating about what the plot is going to be in the new movies, and wondering if they are going to adopt any of the expanded universe I.E. Jacen Solo and the new Jedi Order or if they are just going to drop all of that for something entirely new. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of using the same characters but different plot.
Killedbyschool

Postby kepp » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:31 pm

Killedbyschool wrote:So my friend and I have been speculating about what the plot is going to be in the new movies, and wondering if they are going to adopt any of the expanded universe I.E. Jacen Solo and the new Jedi Order or if they are just going to drop all of that for something entirely new. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of using the same characters but different plot.

Considering this is JJ Abrams, it will probably be something "extreme" and "new" that ignores the best of what could be used from the expanded universe canon after ep-VI, but hey R2-D2 will be there so all the fans should be happy, right? The writer from ESB and ROTJ is doing script rewrites though so that part seems promising.
kepp

Postby KTS_MikeO'Malley » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:52 pm

I have a Ralph Mcquarrie autographed print of a Bwing and the death star.

Also:

Star Wars Combine
KTS_MikeO'Malley

Postby Killedbyschool » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:27 pm

kepp wrote:
Killedbyschool wrote:So my friend and I have been speculating about what the plot is going to be in the new movies, and wondering if they are going to adopt any of the expanded universe I.E. Jacen Solo and the new Jedi Order or if they are just going to drop all of that for something entirely new. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of using the same characters but different plot.

Considering this is JJ Abrams, it will probably be something "extreme" and "new" that ignores the best of what could be used from the expanded universe canon after ep-VI, but hey R2-D2 will be there so all the fans should be happy, right? The writer from ESB and ROTJ is doing script rewrites though so that part seems promising.

I really like Abrams' style (lense flare jokes aside); Star Trek and Super 8 were awesome aesthetically. As long as he brings that over and has a good collaborative staff with regard to the plot and script, I really think this could be incredible. Really the only gripes I have with the prequels was the casting and the dull/dead script. Good lord that script. I think as long as Abrams doesn't try to reinvent the wheel but reinvigorates the franchise with enough freshness and newness while retaining that old world nostalgia, they could be on per with the originals.
Killedbyschool

Postby TotallyCOREguy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:51 pm

Started playing Dark Forces w/ the DarkXL mod. Updated graphics and mouse look controls, this game is awesome
TotallyCOREguy

Postby the wiz » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:56 pm

My friend just sent me a series of highly offensive Star Wars/9-11 gifs. I don't know how to feel.

Excited to be done school in two weeks and replay both Kotor's.
the wiz

Postby JOWER 106 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:10 pm

I have faith that JJ will bring Star Wars back to its former glory.

Also:

JOWER 106
Keep Everything Away From This Man's Dick

Postby vomitponx » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:17 pm

i heard star wars battle front 3 was scrapped but idk first they released some stills from it, then said it was scrapped then they come out with that trailer and rumors arose it was scrapped again.

if it comes out it will rule, especially if it has online capabilities
vomitponx

Postby JOWER 106 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:25 pm

That trailer was shown at E3. It's being worked on by DICE, the company who makes Battlefield. I'm sure we'll see gameplay at E3 2014.
JOWER 106
Keep Everything Away From This Man's Dick

Postby uncledaddy69 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:29 am

There's no way they'll stay faithful to the EU. Which really sucks because Star Wars is well known for it's continuity. They could easily adapt Tim Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy into 7 8 and 9 and it would be amazing, but I think everyone already knows it's going to be a new story.
uncledaddy69

Postby Melted Cheese » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:36 am

I'm going to be "that guy" and say I'm not happy about the new movies or the future of the franchise in general since Disney bought it. I'm still going to see Episode VII at the very least because it can't suck more than Episode I but I'm just having a hard time being excited about it. Great things were done with the EU in the past 20+ years but I fear with new films coming the entire direction of the franchise will change since there will be this new level of post-VI canon and megacorp-fueled emphasis on it.

Still I'm gonna try to get all my friends who are big into SW to go to Celebration VII with me, should be a blast.
Melted Cheese

Postby Backup mod:) » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:19 am

It wasn't like Star Wars was an independent film when came out in '77. Disney also owns Marvel and the Marvel Movies have been great for the most part. I think ep. 7 would be cooler if they based it around new characters rather than Han, Luke, Leia etc. And the original cast is there for continuity sake. They already had their story.
ultimate nullifier

Postby Frederik » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:53 am

-If Battlefront 3 comes out, I would be so happy

-I want Stars Wars prints on my wall so badly.
Frederik

Postby StoneCold 3:16 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:57 am

posting
StoneCold 3:16

Postby JoshWrath » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:01 am

I'm excited for VII. I feel in the minority that enjoyed episodes I-III. Yeah they weren't better than the original trilogy but I thought it was still fun to see. I'm curious to see were the story goes but I'm sure that Luke, Leia and Han will be involved somehow maybe not major rolls but still in it.
JoshWrath

Postby Felix Hoenikker » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:16 am

Honestly, I think Disney acquiring Lucasfilm is probably one of the best things to happen to the Star Wars franchise in a long time. I'm actually pretty excited for VII. Giving the series to other directors and letting them toy around in the SW universe is a great idea. We're getting an Extended Universe we actually get to go to the theater and see. I think Disney is going to do with Star Wars what they've been doing with the Marvel movies-- building a giant, interconnected universe through a series of films and television shows. Like HYIC said, the Marvel movies have turned out pretty good for the most part and can you really even tell Disney owns them? It's not like you're going to have Donald Duck running around with a lightsaber, singing songs with Lilo and Stitch.

As someone that absolutely adores Star Wars, I've felt the franchise has really needed some life blown into it for a long time. And that's finally happening. Sure, a lot of the EU continuity will more than likely be negated. But it's not like they're taking those books and comics and tossing them in a fire so you can never read them again. They'll still be there. You can pick them up and enjoy them any time. I couldn't think of anything worse than if they tried to adapt a comic or book into a film. It wouldn't work well at all. Let those stories exist in their separate medium.

I'm excited for a new story and I have high hopes for VII.
Felix Hoenikker

Postby theonefreeman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:28 am

EU being written over is going to be a tough pill for me to swallow, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens because they don't make these movies just for the people who have kept up with what happens in the forty-something years that have passed since the Battle of Yavin. Starting the movie off with just Jaina and Ben and then expecting everybody to know about the battles against the Imperial remnants, the New Jedi Order, war with the Yuuzhan Vong, Lumiya & Caedus and everything that happens in between would be kind of messed up.
theonefreeman
for your fucking health

Postby Backup mod:) » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:54 am

People complaining about the movies not sticking to the EU are like people that complain about comic movies that aren't exactly like the comics.
ultimate nullifier

Postby AwwHellYeah » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:19 am

JOWER 106 wrote:That trailer was shown at E3. It's being worked on by DICE, the company who makes Battlefield. I'm sure we'll see gameplay at E3 2014.

The fact that EA has the license worries me. Given the sheer number of complaints about battlefield 4 being buggy as fuck and rushed makes me think we wont get any Rogue Squadron quality games for a long time. Maybe they can get BioWare to do another KOTOR but I'm worried they'll churn out more movie tie in garbage than anything else.
AwwHellYeah

Postby uncledaddy69 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:55 am

hellyesicheated wrote:People complaining about the movies not sticking to the EU are like people that complain about comic movies that aren't exactly like the comics.

Most of the comics that have had movies based on them recently aren't as strict when it comes to maintaining canon. Batman for example has multiple origin stories, different timelines, and lots of different interpretations of certain events by different writers. Star Wars has a definitive story, when you're reading something, you know it actually happened in their universe and that some other writer isn't going to come along and go, "well, that was his interpretation of how Chewbacca dies but this is mine." There has always been a single definitive story to Star Wars and now with the new movies it's going to be like, "Yeah sorry, everything you've been reading since you were 4 is wrong."
uncledaddy69

Postby Backup mod:) » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:59 am

uncledaddy69 wrote:
hellyesicheated wrote:People complaining about the movies not sticking to the EU are like people that complain about comic movies that aren't exactly like the comics.

Most of the comics that have had movies based on them recently aren't as strict when it comes to maintaining canon. Batman for example has multiple origin stories, different timelines, and lots of different interpretations of certain events by different writers. Star Wars has a definitive story, when you're reading something, you know it actually happened in their universe and that some other writer isn't going to come along and go, "well, that was his interpretation of how Chewbacca dies but this is mine." There has always been a single definitive story to Star Wars and now with the new movies it's going to be like, "Yeah sorry, everything you've been reading since you were 4 is wrong."

Batman really hasn't had multiple origin stories. And a lot of things have happened in the EU that's been changed by the prequels and other things. My point is that you have those stories and you don't really need to have them on the screen. The new movies just give you new stories and just because they don't have Thrawn in them or whatever doesn't mean they won't use aspects from the EU (Luke and a Jedi Academy) but it also means they shouldn't base their stories off a book in the EU.
ultimate nullifier

Postby KTS_MikeO'Malley » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:03 am

StoneCold 3:16 wrote:posting

For Battlefront Steve?!
KTS_MikeO'Malley

Postby xFarsidex » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:40 am

uncledaddy69 wrote:Anyone else been reading this miniseries? I'm absolutely loving it so far.

This looks so stupid.

I like Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, though. How do you like that?
xFarsidex
Is actually taking recent celebrity deaths the hardest

Postby Killedbyschool » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:38 pm

hellyesicheated wrote:
uncledaddy69 wrote:

Batman really hasn't had multiple origin stories. And a lot of things have happened in the EU that's been changed by the prequels and other things. My point is that you have those stories and you don't really need to have them on the screen. The new movies just give you new stories and just because they don't have Thrawn in them or whatever doesn't mean they won't use aspects from the EU (Luke and a Jedi Academy) but it also means they shouldn't base their stories off a book in the EU.

But it's the reverse with Star Wars. Star Wars has canonical movies and then a robust comic book universe emerged. Given how recent the comic book movies of the Marvel universe have been and the vast wealth of plot already established in that universe, there is no way the movies could hope to be as strict canonically as most comic book readers would like them to be. Star Wars expanded universe is chronological. It reads like a history rather than a comic book series. I feel like to completely abandon the comic universe at make a completely different plot is to throw star wars into the chaos that is the comic book movie world. I feel like it would severely hamper what is one of my favorite aspects about Star wars which is its sense of chronology and history.
Killedbyschool

Postby Backup mod:) » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:46 pm

Killedbyschool wrote:
hellyesicheated wrote:
uncledaddy69 wrote:

But it's the reverse with Star Wars. Star Wars has canonical movies and then a robust comic book universe emerged. Given how recent the comic book movies of the Marvel universe have been and the vast wealth of plot already established in that universe, there is no way the movies could hope to be as strict canonically as most comic book readers would like them to be. Star Wars expanded universe is chronological. It reads like a history rather than a comic book series. I feel like to completely abandon the comic universe at make a completely different plot is to throw star wars into the chaos that is the comic book movie world. I feel like it would severely hamper what is one of my favorite aspects about Star wars which is its sense of chronology and history.

I get all that. I just don't care about the cannon of the Star Wars EU because there's too much in the EU. If you add the storyline of the books, then do you add in the storylines of the Dark Horse comics? Because both of those don't always follow the same chronology . I appreciate your point of the history and the chronology but there's just a lot of people out there that just don't give a shit about the books, just like there's tons of people that don't give a shit about Batman comics. That still doesn't mean we can't get a decent movie out something entirely new.

I agree to some point that Star Wars is different than comics because what happens after ep. 6 has already been written in the EU and for comics, you're right, it is reversed than from comics and it's considered canon by those that read the books but not every Star Wars fan reads the books.
ultimate nullifier

Postby kepp » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:51 pm

uncledaddy69 wrote:Most of the comics that have had movies based on them recently aren't as strict when it comes to maintaining canon. Batman for example has multiple origin stories, different timelines, and lots of different interpretations of certain events by different writers. Star Wars has a definitive story, when you're reading something, you know it actually happened in their universe and that some other writer isn't going to come along and go, "well, that was his interpretation of how Chewbacca dies but this is mine." There has always been a single definitive story to Star Wars and now with the new movies it's going to be like, "Yeah sorry, everything you've been reading since you were 4 is wrong."

Yup exactly. People here are so used to new comic and sci fi movies ignoring the source material they think it's par for the course and we have to get used to it? Fuck that...For Star Wars, the people who have built up the expanded universe have stuck with Star Wars longer than even Lucas has, and the gap between movies has allowed people to read about what happened to Luke, Leia..etc...With episode VII possibly having past characters return, they are probably going to rewrite or ignore the significance of the new jedi order books. I just hope the movie returns to its dark style, "a hero's journey", death, suffering, and tragedy... and not mischief and hijinx like the beginning of star trek into darkness. That was just painful to watch.
kepp

Next