coffee enthusiasts

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby DrewBlood » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:12 am

https://www.labarbacoffee.com/shop/columbia-mujeres-cafeteras

i recommend that everyone buys a bag of this stuff.
User avatar
DrewBlood
 
Posts: 22242
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Postby LeftHandLaugh » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:24 pm

Hey friends, just in case anybody is going, I am working with GGET at Coachella.

Come on down and tell your friends to stop by and get some goods.
User avatar
LeftHandLaugh
 
Posts: 5930
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:58 pm
Location: PNW

Postby joeM » Sun May 07, 2017 11:18 am

I'm in Burlington until Wednesday... Staying at the Hilton. Is there any good coffee around?
joeM
 
Posts: 8126
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:21 pm
Location: HOCO

Postby xrookie2x » Mon May 08, 2017 9:33 am

I need some recommendations for Mother's Day. She likes the lighter roasts more citrus flavors. Lives in Chicago so I'm trying to find places with quick shipping and preferably in the Midwest.
xrookie2x
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:23 pm

Postby xcolepx » Mon May 08, 2017 9:49 am

I don't know if it's all placebo, but I got a Kalita Wave for pour overs and I feel like my coffee skills have increased 10x
User avatar
xcolepx
 
Posts: 4036
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:29 pm
Location: denver

Postby scottxclean » Mon May 08, 2017 12:26 pm

xcolepx wrote:I don't know if it's all placebo, but I got a Kalita Wave for pour overs and I feel like my coffee skills have increased 10x


thats because its like the most fool proof brewer out there, its pretty hard to mess up a cup.
scottxclean
 
Posts: 7964
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 12:36 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby gooye » Mon May 08, 2017 12:35 pm

I stopped in at Hot Black Coffee in Toronto over the weekend and had one of the better cortados I've had in a long time
gooye
 
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: CT

Postby I Am Justice » Tue May 09, 2017 2:08 pm

currently in copenhagen and had an incredibly good cup of kenyan from coffee collective as well as a natural process bolivian which was also very good.
I Am Justice
 
Posts: 6390
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:59 pm

Postby LeftHandLaugh » Tue May 09, 2017 5:41 pm

scottxclean wrote:
xcolepx wrote:I don't know if it's all placebo, but I got a Kalita Wave for pour overs and I feel like my coffee skills have increased 10x


thats because its like the most fool proof brewer out there, its pretty hard to mess up a cup.

Nah, that's a Beehive...but I get your sentiment though.
User avatar
LeftHandLaugh
 
Posts: 5930
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:58 pm
Location: PNW

Postby Spasmo » Thu May 11, 2017 7:59 pm

I bathe in hardened coffee oil. ama
Spasmo
 
Posts: 5437
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:00 pm
Location: PA

Postby donnie_d3 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:28 pm

LeftHandLaugh wrote:
scottxclean wrote:
xcolepx wrote:I don't know if it's all placebo, but I got a Kalita Wave for pour overs and I feel like my coffee skills have increased 10x


thats because its like the most fool proof brewer out there, its pretty hard to mess up a cup.

Nah, that's a Beehive...but I get your sentiment though.


what's the difference between the wave the bee house and my random cheap ceramic pour over drip jobby.
User avatar
donnie_d3
 
Posts: 2231
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:52 pm

Postby joeM » Fri May 12, 2017 8:43 am

I don't know what random ceramic dripper you have, but the wave has a flat bed and three holes. The beehouse isn't a flat bed and has two holes. They also use different filters.
joeM
 
Posts: 8126
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:21 pm
Location: HOCO

Postby donnie_d3 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:46 am

mine isn't flat and has two holes and uses #4 filters. i guess it's a bee house knockoff.
User avatar
donnie_d3
 
Posts: 2231
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:52 pm

Postby LeftHandLaugh » Sat May 13, 2017 4:31 am

Any of the V shape brewers are pretty much the easiest to not mess up brewers. They are great for those quick cups.
User avatar
LeftHandLaugh
 
Posts: 5930
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:58 pm
Location: PNW

Postby baustin » Fri May 19, 2017 4:23 pm

i keep forgetting how much i love cafe de olla. i had it cold brewed today, shit was fire.
baustin
 
Posts: 2234
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:15 am
Location: Upland, CA

Postby carlosxantana » Mon May 22, 2017 3:08 am

baustin wrote:i keep forgetting how much i love cafe de olla. i had it cold brewed today, shit was fire.


Did you by any chance get it from Mi Cafecito in Pomona? I love their cold brewed cafe de olla.
User avatar
carlosxantana
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:38 am
Location: Los Angeles

Postby baustin » Wed May 24, 2017 5:10 am

carlosxantana wrote:
baustin wrote:i keep forgetting how much i love cafe de olla. i had it cold brewed today, shit was fire.


Did you by any chance get it from Mi Cafecito in Pomona? I love their cold brewed cafe de olla.


hell yeah, brother! shits on the way to school. first time going there, do you recommend anything else?
baustin
 
Posts: 2234
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:15 am
Location: Upland, CA

Postby carlosxantana » Thu May 25, 2017 1:47 am

baustin wrote:
carlosxantana wrote:
baustin wrote:i keep forgetting how much i love cafe de olla. i had it cold brewed today, shit was fire.


Did you by any chance get it from Mi Cafecito in Pomona? I love their cold brewed cafe de olla.


hell yeah, brother! shits on the way to school. first time going there, do you recommend anything else?

Their whole menu is on point but you can't go wrong with the tres leches, mazapan, or the frozen chocolate mexicano. Their cold brews are definitely my favorite thing on the menu.
User avatar
carlosxantana
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:38 am
Location: Los Angeles

Postby jchucking » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:24 pm

Any baristas on here ever used a mod bar? My shop is getting one and wanted to know if you dig it.
User avatar
jchucking
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:01 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Postby loaf.. » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:31 pm

Any good coffee pot recommendations? I need something new
loaf..
 
Posts: 2058
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:34 pm
Location: can't even see where the knob is

Postby flask1203 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:25 pm

Mod bars are insane. They're not for every shop though.
User avatar
flask1203
 
Posts: 3307
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:57 am
Location: CA

Postby LeftHandLaugh » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:43 am

jchucking wrote:Any baristas on here ever used a mod bar? My shop is getting one and wanted to know if you dig it.

Not for high volume shops. It's cool but your squad better be the cleanest and friendliest. It leaves you very vulnerable.
User avatar
LeftHandLaugh
 
Posts: 5930
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:58 pm
Location: PNW

Postby TroubleLovesMe » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:44 am

loaf.. wrote:Any good coffee pot recommendations? I need something new


the Bonavita coffee maker is great.
User avatar
TroubleLovesMe
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:48 pm
Location: Gotham City

Postby loaf.. » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:13 pm

That looks perfect. Thank you
loaf..
 
Posts: 2058
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:34 pm
Location: can't even see where the knob is

Postby jchucking » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:30 pm

LeftHandLaugh wrote:
jchucking wrote:Any baristas on here ever used a mod bar? My shop is getting one and wanted to know if you dig it.

Not for high volume shops. It's cool but your squad better be the cleanest and friendliest. It leaves you very vulnerable.


Thats what I'm worried about. We are super high volume, and some people are pretty sloppy so we will see how this goes once we replace the Lamarzocco with the modbars.
User avatar
jchucking
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:01 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Postby LeftHandLaugh » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:34 pm

Linea PBs > Anything Else
User avatar
LeftHandLaugh
 
Posts: 5930
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:58 pm
Location: PNW

Postby xAJXDx » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:13 pm

Thoughts on Modbarb vs Seraphim?
xAJXDx
 
Posts: 2600
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 2:16 am
Location: TX

Postby jchucking » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:22 pm

xAJXDx wrote:Thoughts on Modbarb vs Seraphim?


Never been to a shop or seen Seraphim in action
User avatar
jchucking
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:01 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Postby LeftHandLaugh » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:48 am

xAJXDx wrote:Thoughts on Modbarb vs Seraphim?

A good friend's shop uses it...they don't mind it at all but I am not the biggest fan of it. Modbar is cool as a pourover device but it's just meh.

With that stuff, I think it's a lot of dialing in for not the best cup of a coffee.

At the end of day, I am just a fan of a dialed in Fetco. Pourovers are great but when it comes to shop level, it's more about consistency.
User avatar
LeftHandLaugh
 
Posts: 5930
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:58 pm
Location: PNW

Postby xAJXDx » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:58 am

I think I like modbar/seraphim due to the consistency. A shop here that had a couple good baristas to make pourovers got a Modbar. Now they are consistent. There's another spot that has Seraphim that uses higher quality beans, so it's. Its not apples to apples. One barista said they preferred Modbar since Seraphim was primarily plastic.
xAJXDx
 
Posts: 2600
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 2:16 am
Location: TX

Postby imJav » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:48 am

im actually thinking about wanting to become a barista. i saw that Intelligentsia gives classes and wondered if anyone has taken one or would recommend or not
$200 seems steep, but i used to teach haircutting classes and those can go from $300-500 per day for a good class.

https://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/lo ... ista-class
User avatar
imJav
 
Posts: 2540
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:19 pm
Location: orange county, CA

Postby LeftHandLaugh » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Jav, become a barista, and save that money.
User avatar
LeftHandLaugh
 
Posts: 5930
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:58 pm
Location: PNW

Postby flask1203 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:25 pm

If you live in Orange County get a job at Portola.
User avatar
flask1203
 
Posts: 3307
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:57 am
Location: CA

Postby imJav » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:19 am

flask1203 wrote:If you live in Orange County get a job at Portola.


i applied there, had an interview and the manager wanted to hire me but the general manager or whatever transferred someone so they got the hours. i go there 2-4 times a week though, its so consistently good.
User avatar
imJav
 
Posts: 2540
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:19 pm
Location: orange county, CA

Postby PiranhaSauna » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:28 am

Bump.

What's the latest and greatest?
User avatar
PiranhaSauna
doesn't understand the Bill of Rights
 
Posts: 4868
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:23 pm

Previous


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: airman, ass eyes, Bing [Bot], BobbyxBrother, brenton, Classic, Disco2000, Drunk Monkey, Google Adsense [Bot], JareDestroyer, jeremyxgoss, klemsin66, lala fuck you, Latenightloser, lawlznorder, LIL LEMON!!!!!!!!!!, mattm, mismanaged, mutexwitness, No Doz, Ortho Stice, osully55, PaulKersey, perxhurt, RJ Knuckles, Shaggy X Age, Shnoopy y VVoodstock, the clot thickens, topo, TotallyCOREguy, uglynproud71, warning sean, Waste of Space, WaxedCurbs, WeDealInLead, xdonttreadonmex and 71 guests