coffee enthusiasts

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby xAJXDx » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:19 am

Yes and no. I went to a cafe that only served ReAnimator.
xAJXDx

Postby scottxclean » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:14 am

Was in Louisville for 4 days over the weekend. Went to Sunergos every day. They truly do pull the best shots in the US. Grabbed a bag of a natural Honduras and its fire.
scottxclean

Postby jchucking » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:29 pm

scottxclean wrote:Was in Louisville for 4 days over the weekend. Went to Sunergos every day. They truly do pull the best shots in the US. Grabbed a bag of a natural Honduras and its fire.

I went there and Quills while I was there for the fest. Totally agreed about their espresso.
jchucking

Postby epshep » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:21 pm

scottxclean wrote:Was in Louisville for 4 days over the weekend. Went to Sunergos every day. They truly do pull the best shots in the US. Grabbed a bag of a natural Honduras and its fire.

Sunergos just lost a lot of fans in Louisville for removing a local magazine from their shelf "due to the increasingly sexually explicit content and advertising," aka they found out the Valentines issue was going to have two women kissing on the cover and they're weird, "hip", homophobic Christians. http://www.leoweekly.com/2017/02/dark-c ... acts-care/

Anyway, their coffee is honestly impeccable. I totally agree that they consistently pull the best shots out of anywhere i've been and adding that with Nord's bakery next door=best combo louisville has to offer . Will probably not be returning due to the above though :smt120
epshep

Postby scottxclean » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:41 am

epshep wrote:

Sunergos just lost a lot of fans in Louisville for removing a local magazine from their shelf "due to the increasingly sexually explicit content and advertising," aka they found out the Valentines issue was going to have two women kissing on the cover and they're weird, "hip", homophobic Christians. http://www.leoweekly.com/2017/02/dark-c ... acts-care/

Anyway, their coffee is honestly impeccable. I totally agree that they consistently pull the best shots out of anywhere i've been and adding that with Nord's bakery next door=best combo louisville has to offer . Will probably not be returning due to the above though :smt120

Yeah, I saw that. Why do people gotta suck
scottxclean

Postby The Toxic Avenger » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:26 am

idk anything about coffee and always drank cheap drip loaded with cream and sugar. but i recently bought a french press and grinder when i moved into a new place. man i use so much less crap in my coffee now and its so much better. i like to let my beans sit in the press longer than recommended though. i gotta figure out which coffees and shit i like now, ive just been buying from grocery stores and shit every week.
The Toxic Avenger
stop me. you wont.

Postby Maladjustedxxxx » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:36 am

I roast for Coda Coffee in Denver. We do subscription services and one time orders. Right now we're doing a special on our Moka Java blend 40% off 12oz bags if you order by Feb 14th. Codacoffee.com
Maladjustedxxxx

Postby maxandtotheleft » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:31 pm

The Toxic Avenger wrote:idk anything about coffee and always drank cheap drip loaded with cream and sugar. but i recently bought a french press and grinder when i moved into a new place. man i use so much less crap in my coffee now and its so much better. i like to let my beans sit in the press longer than recommended though. i gotta figure out which coffees and shit i like now, ive just been buying from grocery stores and shit every week.

get yourself to Lamplighter and try some cool coffees out since you're in RVA
maxandtotheleft

Postby The Toxic Avenger » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:24 am

yeah i somewhat recently moved here. ive been told lamplighter and black hand are good and will check out soon.
The Toxic Avenger
stop me. you wont.

Postby Black Dunes » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:24 am

Too lazy to read the thread (sorry). Good spots in Chicago?
Black Dunes

Postby kylec123 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:35 am

Local shop here selling Onyx Coffee as a guest roaster for a bit. The Kenya Othaya Cooperative is very good.
kylec123

Postby scottxclean » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:10 am

Black Dunes wrote:Too lazy to read the thread (sorry). Good spots in Chicago?

Caffe Streets
Buzz
Metric
Gaslight
scottxclean

Postby joeM » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:21 am

scottxclean wrote:Go 25/375

How long of a brew am I shooting for with this? I made some bigger brews that were taking a bit on the longer side, but I feel like my grind still isn't dialed in.
joeM

Postby creativexcover » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:23 am

Just posting in to ask if anyone's had Deathwish Coffee? Does it stand up to the hype??
I could probably find it somewhere in here...just too lazy + at work and curious.
creativexcover

Postby scottxclean » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:00 pm

joeM wrote:

How long of a brew am I shooting for with this? I made some bigger brews that were taking a bit on the longer side, but I feel like my grind still isn't dialed in.

peep this. Oddly was the first shop to use the wave and were i bought mine a few years ago. they are basically credited for bring the Wave to the US market/masses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eitatnolbcc
scottxclean

Postby scottxclean » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:01 pm

creativexcover wrote:Just posting in to ask if anyone's had Deathwish Coffee? Does it stand up to the hype??
I could probably find it somewhere in here...just too lazy + at work and curious.

its trash

unless you're just trying to be some meat neck MFer that works in a car parts warehouse and tout that you have 'THE WORLDS STRONGEST COFFEE THAT HAS A SKULL ON THE BAG'
scottxclean

Postby creativexcover » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:05 pm

scottxclean wrote:
creativexcover wrote:Just posting in to ask if anyone's had Deathwish Coffee? Does it stand up to the hype??

its trash

unless you're just trying to be some meat neck MFer that works in a car parts warehouse and tout that you have 'THE WORLDS STRONGEST COFFEE THAT HAS A SKULL ON THE BAG'

hahahaha....noted
creativexcover

Postby xmilestogox » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:15 pm

As far as mail-ordering coffee goes, what are everyone's standards? Sorry if this has been addressed already, I haven't kept up with the thread. I'm looking to try new stuff.
xmilestogox

Postby joeM » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:16 pm

scottxclean wrote:
joeM wrote:

peep this. Oddly was the first shop to use the wave and were i bought mine a few years ago. they are basically credited for bring the Wave to the US market/masses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eitatnolbcc" target="_blank

:smt023
joeM

Postby xAJXDx » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:28 pm

xmilestogox wrote:As far as mail-ordering coffee goes, what are everyone's standards? Sorry if this has been addressed already, I haven't kept up with the thread. I'm looking to try new stuff.

What do you mean by standards? Like the go to shops?

Honestly- use Mistobox. You get shit from everyone. It rules.
xAJXDx

Postby scottxclean » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:30 pm

xmilestogox wrote:As far as mail-ordering coffee goes, what are everyone's standards? Sorry if this has been addressed already, I haven't kept up with the thread. I'm looking to try new stuff.

I hate getting coffee via mail from anyone unless they offer free shipping. Nothing worse than paying the base price of the bag plus like $10 extra for shipping. Off the top of my head these roasters do free shipping: I use and like Mountain Air, Case and Verve

list of roasters with free shipping
http://www.home-barista.com/coffees/any ... 31131.html
scottxclean

Postby xmilestogox » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:30 pm

xAJXDx wrote:

What do you mean by standards? Like the go to shops?

Honestly- use Mistobox. You get shit from everyone. It rules.

Yes, like your go-to's. Sorry for the confusion and I will check that out.

scottxclean wrote:

I hate getting coffee via mail from anyone unless they offer free shipping. Nothing worse than paying the base price of the bag plus like $10 extra for shipping. Off the top of my head these roasters do free shipping: I use and like Mountain Air, Case and Verve

Awesome, thanks!
xmilestogox

Postby PiranhaSauna » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:12 pm

I've heard Starbucks coffee has more caffeine than other coffee shops for the most part. From my experience this seems true. I get a grande red eye mostly every day from Starbucks because nothing else seems to deliver the punch like SB. Am I off or is this accurate?
PiranhaSauna
doesn't understand the Bill of Rights

Postby scottxclean » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:14 pm

PiranhaSauna wrote:I've heard Starbucks coffee has more caffeine than other coffee shops for the most part. From my experience this seems true. I get a grande red eye mostly every day from Starbucks because nothing else seems to deliver the punch like SB. Am I off or is this accurate?

You're off. I don't wanna get nerdy and scientifical but if anything, the majority of their in-house coffee would have less caffeine due to how they roast.
scottxclean

Postby PiranhaSauna » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:16 pm

scottxclean wrote:
PiranhaSauna wrote:I've heard Starbucks coffee has more caffeine than other coffee shops for the most part. From my experience this seems true. I get a grande red eye mostly every day from Starbucks because nothing else seems to deliver the punch like SB. Am I off or is this accurate?

You're off. I don't wanna get nerdy and scientifical but if anything, the majority of their in-house coffee would have less caffeine due to how they roast.

Hrrmmm. I don't know anything about the science of coffee but I've heard there's more caffeine extracted in starbucks coffee because they use a higher temperature brew. I do know their drip coffees are piping hot and I burn my tongue nearly every day.
PiranhaSauna
doesn't understand the Bill of Rights

Postby xAJXDx » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Scientist here. They over-roast their coffees for the most part. This leads to the caffeine becoming unstable and degrading. I have a buddy who works in one of their roasting plants. They do so to have more even roasts in such large batches.
xAJXDx

Postby jchucking » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:08 pm

Yep both of these guys are right. I work at Starbucks, and despite their coffee being over roasted and usually bad it takes a lot more of it to get me going.
jchucking

Postby pooruglyhappy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:33 am

PiranhaSauna wrote:
scottxclean wrote:

Hrrmmm. I don't know anything about the science of coffee but I've heard there's more caffeine extracted in starbucks coffee because they use a higher temperature brew. I do know their drip coffees are piping hot and I burn my tongue nearly every day.

You are also ordering a Red Eye, and they are most likely pulling you a single shot of espresso unless you ask for a double. Do you order the same thing when you goto "other" coffee shops and what other shops are you going to? IF other shops are Dunkin Donuts and Tim Hortons then I would say SB is your best choice. Everyone else is spot on with what the said as well.
pooruglyhappy

Postby maxandtotheleft » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:35 am

scottxclean wrote:

this is awesome cause I also hate paying shipping on top of an expensive bag, had no idea verve does free shipping, hell yeah
maxandtotheleft

Postby vomitponx » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:23 pm

hey guys never posted in here but i moved to la a few months ago and been drinking a lot of coffee my go tos are klatch, jones, and copa vida. sometimes ill make the trek to anaheim for coffee code because it is by far my favorite.
does anyone have any suggestions cus i like trying new places
vomitponx

Postby maxandtotheleft » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:34 am

got some of that Equal Exchange coffee you see at health food stores in those dispensers to hold me off until I can afford a nicer bag, it's actually not that bad. got the Peru they have and made it with my V60 and it definitely could be worse for the money
maxandtotheleft

Postby xeugenex » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Hey Philadelphia people, what's your favorite coffee shops? I've been to a plenty so far, and yet my favs are Elixr, and Peddler Coffee. Sometimes La Colombe fits good. Do I miss something? Trying to explore the scene here as much as possible
xeugenex

Postby scottxclean » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:01 pm

xeugenex wrote:Hey Philadelphia people, what's your favorite coffee shops? I've been to a plenty so far, and yet my favs are Elixr, and Peddler Coffee. Sometimes La Colombe fits good. Do I miss something? Trying to explore the scene here as much as possible

Reanimator seems to be the 'top pick' in Philly
scottxclean

Postby xAJXDx » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:15 pm

Ultimo.
xAJXDx

Postby xeugenex » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:43 pm

Reanimator is def cool, but I don't go often to that location. Ultimo was really nice once I tried Flat white there
xeugenex

Postby xAJXDx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:23 am

The "new" Ultimo is so nice. When I visit, my friend lives real close to the 15th St one so I've mainly been there. Went back in February and tried the Catharine St location, and it was so nice.
xAJXDx

Postby xrookie2x » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:36 am

Heading to Ventura, CA this weekend. Any recommendations in that area? All I know are the shops around LA and Handlebar in Santa Barbara.
xrookie2x

Postby maxandtotheleft » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:32 pm

xeugenex wrote:Hey Philadelphia people, what's your favorite coffee shops? I've been to a plenty so far, and yet my favs are Elixr, and Peddler Coffee. Sometimes La Colombe fits good. Do I miss something? Trying to explore the scene here as much as possible

Elixr, world-class IMO, and somehow the most affordable specialty coffee shop Ive been to
maxandtotheleft

Postby xAJXDx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:10 pm

maxandtotheleft wrote:

Elixr, world-class IMO, and somehow the most affordable specialty coffee shop Ive been to

Can you expand on what you mean by "most affordable"?
xAJXDx

Postby gregor samsa » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:13 pm

La Colombe is pretty much starbucks
gregor samsa
Bleaches his cheerio

Postby xeugenex » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:36 pm

gregor samsa wrote:La Colombe is pretty much starbucks

Yeah, but at least you can drink drip coffee there, which is absolute trash at Starbucks
xeugenex

Postby Interlewd » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:10 pm

xrookie2x wrote:Heading to Ventura, CA this weekend. Any recommendations in that area? All I know are the shops around LA and Handlebar in Santa Barbara.

Beacon Coffee
Interlewd

Postby maxandtotheleft » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:51 am

xAJXDx wrote:
maxandtotheleft wrote:

Can you expand on what you mean by "most affordable"?

just like, not $5/$6 for an almond latte or cap, it's like $3 and change which is cool, or at least it was last I went
maxandtotheleft

Postby xAJXDx » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:08 am

I don't know why its so cool to dislike La Colombe. Can you get a solid pour over there? Can you get solid espresso? Oh ok.
xAJXDx

Postby gregor samsa » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:14 am

xAJXDx wrote:

I don't know why its so cool to dislike La Colombe. Can you get a solid pour over there? Can you get solid espresso? Oh ok.

I don't like manufactured authenticity I just think it's corny :smt102
gregor samsa
Bleaches his cheerio

Postby xAJXDx » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:21 am

gregor samsa wrote:
xAJXDx wrote:

xAJXDx

Postby xrookie2x » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:02 pm

Interlewd wrote:
xrookie2x wrote:Heading to Ventura, CA this weekend. Any recommendations in that area? All I know are the shops around LA and Handlebar in Santa Barbara.

Beacon Coffee

Thank you!! :smt003
xrookie2x

Postby xcolepx » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:16 pm

gregor samsa wrote:
xAJXDx wrote:

Also it's trash
xcolepx

Postby xAJXDx » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:11 am

:smt105 :smt105
xAJXDx

Postby scottxclean » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:56 am

I don't think it's trash, per say, but, it's going the way of Intelli...big $, big expansions, loss of quality.
scottxclean

PreviousNext