coffee enthusiasts

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby victormlopezis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:22 pm

I'm really into coffee, and have been wanting to try out different coffee roasters from around the country.

Here in Dallas we have a two good coffee roasters

Cultivar
http://cultivarcoffee.com/

and

Oak Cliff Coffee Roasters
http://www.oakcliffcoffee.com/

I'm a bigger fan of having my coffee brewed with a Chemex over any other brewing methods, so any good fruity noted coffee would be sweet to try.
victormlopezis

Postby terminalnation » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:38 pm

Screech-flavoured coffee is insane.
terminalnation

Postby deviancekicksin » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:36 pm

terminalnation wrote:Screech-flavoured coffee is insane.

deviancekicksin

Postby endlife » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:47 pm

I am by no means a coffee snob, Ill drink gas station sludge and reheat the pot at home from that morning, but I just got a phin filter yesterday to make my own vietnamese style coffee and Ive been bouncing off the walls and shitting like Im getting paid for it all day and I love it
endlife

Postby jizzanthepuss » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:23 pm

In Massachusetts, we got Redeye Roasters in Hingham and Gracenote in Berlin. Barismo is okay, but has put out bullshit in the past. Counter Culture is one of my favorites, they are based out of North Carolina. Intelligentsia of course puts out some good jams.

I like Chemex for home sharing with friends for sure. Similar is the V60 pourover from hario. All of this shit you can get at Williams and Sonoma now..
jizzanthepuss

Postby jizzanthepuss » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:24 pm

And for fruity-noted coffees, nothing nothing nothing beats Ethopians and Kenyans in the chemex. Especially the Ethopia Amaro Gayo, which Redeye carries....
jizzanthepuss

Postby victormlopezis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:47 pm

jizzanthepuss wrote:In Massachusetts, we got Redeye Roasters in Hingham and Gracenote in Berlin. Barismo is okay, but has put out bullshit in the past. Counter Culture is one of my favorites, they are based out of North Carolina. Intelligentsia of course puts out some good jams.

I like Chemex for home sharing with friends for sure. Similar is the V60 pourover from hario. All of this shit you can get at Williams and Sonoma now..

Intelligentsia is the shit man! There's cuvee based out of Austin that has the best single origin coffees I've ever had. Ethiopian yirgacheffe is my favorite. And I still need to pick up a v60. Anything with citrus notes makes me melt.
victormlopezis

Postby Half Naked 2.0 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:12 pm

these are the shit
Half Naked 2.0

Postby flask1203 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:25 pm

http://www.klatchroasting.com/
Klatch out in the IE is probably my favorite. I've only really gotten into coffee in the last year or so though. Intelligentsia is good too, although their actual shops are pretty much the epitome of hipster coffee snob hangouts.
flask1203

Postby victormlopezis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:50 pm

Half Naked 2.0 wrote:Image

these are the shit

When I first realized I needed a burr grinder I bought one of these and my mom once laughed at howling it took to find coffee so she got me an electric burr grinder do my bday. (Hell yeah moms)
victormlopezis

Postby victormlopezis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:54 pm

flask1203 wrote:http://www.klatchroasting.com/
Klatch out in the IE is probably my favorite. I've only really gotten into coffee in the last year or so though. Intelligentsia is good too, although their actual shops are pretty much the epitome of hipster coffee snob hangouts.

I've only been to one intelligentsia shop and it was in Pensacola. Not really hip, but a city like that really doesn't have many hipsters. I would expect that to be a norm though. Most coffee shops are filled with hipsters that want their nasty ass Starbucks drink.
victormlopezis

Postby flask1203 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:01 pm

victormlopezis wrote:

I've only been to one intelligentsia shop and it was in Pensacola. Not really hip, but a city like that really doesn't have many hipsters. I would expect that to be a norm though. Most coffee shops are filled with hipsters that want their nasty ass Starbucks drink.

I guess I'm not being fair. My experience comes from the Intelligentsia in Silverlake. That whole neighborhood is an Urban Outfitters/Buffalo Exchange catalog.
flask1203

Postby metalbeersolid » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:06 pm

changed my life
metalbeersolid

Postby vincent518 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:06 pm

This is the best I've had...

Mystic Monk Coffee

It's made in Wyoming at a monastery. The Pascha Java/Jingle Bell Java is a great flavored coffee but they only sell it around Easter and Christmas (Lent & Advent). Do your self a favor and order some up when it's available.

They also sell a very cool single cup coffee press that I use all the time.
vincent518

Postby victormlopezis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:20 pm

metalbeersolid wrote:Image

changed my life

Aero press! Hell yes!
victormlopezis

Postby victormlopezis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:22 pm

vincent518 wrote:This is the best I've had...

Mystic Monk Coffee

It's made in Wyoming at a monastery. The Pascha Java/Jingle Bell Java is a great flavored coffee but they only sell it around Easter and Christmas (Lent & Advent). Do your self a favor and order some up when it's available.

I'll definitely be on the look out, what kind of flavoring though?

And is you press like a BAYBAYYYYYY French press?
victormlopezis

Postby victormlopezis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:23 pm

flask1203 wrote:
victormlopezis wrote:

I guess I'm not being fair. My experience comes from the Intelligentsia in Silverlake. That whole neighborhood is an Urban Outfitters/Buffalo Exchange catalog.

You can catch me at a urban when they have 50% off their sale, and at buffalo when I want cheap "cool" clothes. Haha
victormlopezis

Postby vincent518 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:12 am

victormlopezis wrote:

Mystic Monk Coffee

I don't know how to describe the flavor. It's not strong. I think the package desscribes it as vanilla, bourbon and spice.

The single cup press is actually a travel mug with the press built into the lid. It comes with a regular lid for when you don't want to use the press.
vincent518

Postby Vuvuzela » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:43 am

vincent518 wrote:
victormlopezis wrote:

Mystic Monk Coffee

I don't know how to describe the flavor. It's not strong. I think the package desscribes it as vanilla, bourbon and spice.

The single cup press is actually a travel mug with the press built into the lid. It comes with a regular lid for when you don't want to use the press.

that stainless steel press they have up on their website looks amazing.

i would love that for making coffee here at work.
Vuvuzela
Actually has two beards...

Postby victormlopezis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:44 pm

Anyone interested in trading favorite 12 oz bags from local roasters?
victormlopezis

Postby IronMind » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:50 pm

IronMind

Postby Travis. » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:56 pm

aeropress is so sick.
Travis.

Postby Marcabre back from dead » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:19 pm

This.

.... no seriously, fuckin this.
Marcabre back from dead

Postby ChelseaW » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:30 pm

Marcabre back from dead wrote:This.

bottled cold brew coffee, WAT.

where....where do I get this.... I will be searching boston for weeks now... :smt119
ChelseaW

Postby preparationHXC » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:58 pm

Completely agree.
I went to a whole foods up here because stumptown's website said WF carried it.
Unfortunately not out here, going to order some online. They come in those bottles, growlers, and kegs I believe. Pretty wild stuff.
preparationHXC

Postby scottxclean » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:14 pm

My type of thread...

We have a couple good roasters here in town, BEE COFFEE ROASTER (who i work with when they have events and such) and MILE SQUARE COFFEE.

At home I use a Chemex, Kalita Wave 185 (my favorite dripper) and a V60, but I also have all the other bullshit..french press, aero press..

Right now the only bag I have is some Ethiopian Konga from Boston Stoken in Dayton, Oh, its alright, they had a crazy sale one day that all pound coffees were $4.99 (originally $17)

My go to roasters are Oddly Correct in Kansas City (my favorite), Heart, Bee, Metric (new roaster out of Chicago), Ceremony..
scottxclean

Postby Bounce » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:53 pm

Solid roaster in Chicago west burbs.

https://www.ihaveabean.com/

They don't have a dark dark roast but their medium dark is very flavorful. They usually have a booth at a farmers market out here and will replace anyone's coffee walking by with their own which is pretty bold...but amusing to watch the kids running the booth calling out people with Starbucks cups asking them if they want to trade coffees.
Bounce

Postby Ciabatta » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Herkimer
Heart Coffee Roasters
Stumptown
Coava
Four Barrel
Ritual
Blue Bottle
Sightglass
Handsome
Ciabatta

Postby jizzanthepuss » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:40 pm

that stumptown cold brew is GROSS
jizzanthepuss

Postby scottxclean » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:59 pm

Have yet to have the bottled cold brew, i have had cold brew from a Stumptown certified place that makes it and it was just OK.

Best cold brew I have ever had is from Caffe Streets in Chicago.
scottxclean

Postby victormlopezis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:18 pm

I bought a toddy cold brew, and got a decent cold brew, but nothing in comparison to a local coffee shop's. What gives?!

pointers?
victormlopezis

Postby LeftHandLaugh » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:23 pm

victormlopezis wrote:I bought a toddy cold brew, and got a decent cold brew, but nothing in comparison to a local coffee shop's. What gives?!

pointers?

Got to make ratios and time them.

What's your current deal?
LeftHandLaugh

Postby victormlopezis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:35 pm

LeftHandLaugh wrote:
victormlopezis wrote:I bought a toddy cold brew, and got a decent cold brew, but nothing in comparison to a local coffee shop's. What gives?!

pointers?

12 oz of coffee for 7 cups of water.

Let it sit for 12 hours, then drain.
victormlopezis

Postby victormlopezis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:38 pm

scottxclean wrote:My type of thread...

We have a couple good roasters here in town, BEE COFFEE ROASTER (who i work with when they have events and such) and MILE SQUARE COFFEE.

At home I use a Chemex, Kalita Wave 185 (my favorite dripper) and a V60, but I also have all the other bullshit..french press, aero press..

Right now the only bag I have is some Ethiopian Konga from Boston Stoken in Dayton, Oh, its alright, they had a crazy sale one day that all pound coffees were $4.99 (originally $17)

My go to roasters are Oddly Correct in Kansas City (my favorite), Heart, Bee, Metric (new roaster out of Chicago), Ceremony..

Definitely going to try those out, and explain a Kalita, is it similar to the v60?

Ethiopian is the shit! Yirgacheffe is my shit. I looked up Boston Stoken and they're having a sale on their Yirgacheffe, so I ordered a pound.
victormlopezis

Postby neatneatneat » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:09 pm

victormlopezis wrote:
Half Naked 2.0 wrote:these are the shit

When I first realized I needed a burr grinder I bought one of these and my mom once laughed at howling it took to find coffee so she got me an electric burr grinder do my bday. (Hell yeah moms)

haha, same here.

Those skerton's are cool, but i got sick of grinding by hand pretty quickly haha. Anything more than enough for one cup-- actually even just one cup's amount--was an annoyance for me haha. Yeah...lazy, i know.

My coffee drinking snobbery has regressed a ton, which i don't mind--stopped being a picky piece of shit. Got over using v60, french press, moka pot, etc. and started using my mom's coffee maker. Crucify me. Much easier, especially now with a new grinder.

My local Whole Foods usually stocks some Intelligentsia, although sometimes the beans are a month or two old. For that price i'd want them fresh.

True Beans -- Long Beach roaster, found at Whole Foods too. Pretty good. http://truebeans.com/

Polly's Gourmet Coffee -- if i'm in the area i'll pick up some from their store. Good selection. http://www.pollys.com/

I still need to try Lord Windsor. I'm down with their slogan, "do it right, roast it light".

Any other good recommendations for places in LB/north OC?
neatneatneat

Postby victormlopezis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:47 pm

neatneatneat wrote:
victormlopezis wrote:
Half Naked 2.0 wrote:these are the shit

haha, same here.

Those skerton's are cool, but i got sick of grinding by hand pretty quickly haha. Anything more than enough for one cup-- actually even just one cup's amount--was an annoyance for me haha. Yeah...lazy, i know.

My coffee drinking snobbery has regressed a ton, which i don't mind--stopped being a picky piece of shit. Got over using v60, french press, moka pot, etc. and started using my mom's coffee maker. Crucify me. Much easier, especially now with a new grinder.

My local Whole Foods usually stocks some Intelligentsia, although sometimes the beans are a month or two old. For that price i'd want them fresh.

True Beans -- Long Beach roaster, found at Whole Foods too. Pretty good. http://truebeans.com/

Polly's Gourmet Coffee -- if i'm in the area i'll pick up some from their store. Good selection. http://www.pollys.com/

I still need to try Lord Windsor. I'm down with their slogan, "do it right, roast it light".

Any other good recommendations for places in LB/north OC?

Here I come...

Dude, all of my whole foods have old ass coffee. Way past its peak taste.

That slogan is tight though, nothing shittier than burnt coffee.
victormlopezis

Postby holly rachel » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:40 pm

I love Stumptown. It's about all I drink.

At my work we use Metropolis which is a 2nd favorite of mine.
holly rachel

Postby LeftHandLaugh » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:10 pm

victormlopezis wrote:
LeftHandLaugh wrote:

pointers?

Filtered water?
LeftHandLaugh

Postby n8 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:37 pm

I work in coffee. 1/2 my job is tasting, 1/2 job is hospitality. The shop I work at conducts blind cuppings (coffee tasting for those who don't know) and we serve whatever we deem is tasty. In our shops we are currently serving Heart Roasters (arguably the best roaster in North America), Ritual Coffee Roasters, 49th Parallel, Bows and Arrows, and Saint Frank.

Really excited because we just got the first batch of Columbias last week.
n8

Postby n8 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:41 pm

LeftHandLaugh wrote:
victormlopezis wrote:
LeftHandLaugh wrote:

pointers?

Filtered water?

You got the first two steps right, good coffee and a good grinder. You're just missing the third step, good water. My best suggestion would be bottled? or a water place that uses some sort of reverse osmosis system. The lower the total dissolved solids, the better.
n8

Postby scottxclean » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:10 am

victormlopezis wrote:

Definitely going to try those out, and explain a Kalita, is it similar to the v60?

Ethiopian is the shit! Yirgacheffe is my shit. I looked up Boston Stoken and they're having a sale on their Yirgacheffe, so I ordered a pound.

Its still has the cone shape but has a flat bottom with 3 holes in it were the coffee drips out. In theory you pour an evenly extracted cup every time and you don't have to worry about pouring technique as its very forgiving.
scottxclean

Postby nigguh p » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:30 am

victormlopezis wrote:
Half Naked 2.0 wrote:Image

these are the shit

use this but i HATE HATE HATE when a bean catches and they all fly out. ugh.
nigguh p
P Dizzle the Edge Breaker

Postby whereismurder » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:25 am

I grind starbucks beans in my magic bullet, then pour it in a single cup drip, and i fucking love it.

:smt103

commence outrage
whereismurder

Postby victormlopezis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:07 am

LeftHandLaugh wrote:
victormlopezis wrote:
LeftHandLaugh wrote:

pointers?

Filtered water?

you know it.
Are these your measurements too?

(i really think it was the beans)
victormlopezis

Postby victormlopezis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:10 am

n8 wrote:I work in coffee. 1/2 my job is tasting, 1/2 job is hospitality. The shop I work at conducts blind cuppings (coffee tasting for those who don't know) and we serve whatever we deem is tasty. In our shops we are currently serving Heart Roasters (arguably the best roaster in North America), Ritual Coffee Roasters, 49th Parallel, Bows and Arrows, and Saint Frank.

Coffee cupping is tight. I was fortunate to do it at a local coffee/taco joint we have in Dallas. Really cool people in the coffee world.

Definitely adding those to the list.
victormlopezis

Postby victormlopezis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:12 am

n8 wrote:
LeftHandLaugh wrote:
victormlopezis wrote:
LeftHandLaugh wrote:

pointers?

Filtered water?

You got the first two steps right, good coffee and a good grinder. You're just missing the third step, good water. My best suggestion would be bottled? or a water place that uses some sort of reverse osmosis system. The lower the total dissolved solids, the better.

Best kind of beans to use? (notes wise)
victormlopezis

Postby victormlopezis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:13 am

scottxclean wrote:
victormlopezis wrote:

Its still has the cone shape but has a flat bottom with 3 holes in it were the coffee drips out. In theory you pour an evenly extracted cup every time and you don't have to worry about pouring technique as its very forgiving.

Good, i'm a sinner.
victormlopezis

Postby AWE-STIN » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:45 am

I spent a couple weeks on a farm in Costa Rica working with sustainable production in coffee producers, and I happened to be living with the only family who roasts the coffee themselves. That is the best coffee I have ever had. Still holding onto two bags.

I think I might go make myself some now that I am thinking of it.
AWE-STIN

Postby Classic » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:45 am

n8 wrote:I work in coffee. 1/2 my job is tasting, 1/2 job is hospitality. The shop I work at conducts blind cuppings (coffee tasting for those who don't know) and we serve whatever we deem is tasty. In our shops we are currently serving Heart Roasters (arguably the best roaster in North America), Ritual Coffee Roasters, 49th Parallel, Bows and Arrows, and Saint Frank.

Yo how do you like Bows & Arrows?
Classic

Postby charles? » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:05 am

neatneatneat wrote:I still need to try Lord Windsor. I'm down with their slogan, "do it right, roast it light".

That is a fucking awesome slogan.

Been ordering green coffee beens in bulk and roasting them at home for a while now. Can't beat $6/lb for single origin beans. Mostly doing pourover these days, but I think I might switch over to a moka pot sometime soon.
charles?

Next