B9 HOCKEY THREAD 4: The Penguins support white supremacy

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Daytona 500 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:22 am

Hurricanes being sold to a dude from Texas. 52% now, the other 48% in three years.
Daytona 500

Postby Lobsterdog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:12 pm

Houston Hurricanes seems a bit "too soon"
Lobsterdog
Lobsterdog 2: Son of Lobsterdog

Postby blackhawks#1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:17 pm

lol
blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby Daytona 500 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:18 pm

I think the Rockets owner gets the first shot at a Houston NHL franchise. But this dude is absolutely moving the Hurricanes.
Daytona 500

Postby redstarohyeah » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:21 pm

Can someone explain to me why Karmanos is still standing by "a condition of purchasing the team is staying in Raleigh?" They're consistently the lowest attended team, they are bad, etc., etc. Doesn't basically all of hockey want them to move?
redstarohyeah

Postby I gave you power » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:25 pm

Lobsterdog wrote:Houston Hurricanes seems a bit "too soon"

LOL
I gave you power

Postby JustinThunderLiger » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:11 pm

redstarohyeah wrote:Can someone explain to me why Karmanos is still standing by "a condition of purchasing the team is staying in Raleigh?" They're consistently the lowest attended team, they are bad, etc., etc. Doesn't basically all of hockey want them to move?

I'm still trying to figure out how they managed two cup final appearances within 4 years (3 seasons and a lockout) and the local market still could not give a shit.

Still love this:
https://sports.theonion.com/carolina-re ... 1819568534
JustinThunderLiger

Postby No Doz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:14 pm

not sure there's a single goalie in the nhl that's worse at handling the puck outside the crease than jaro halak
No Doz

Postby Lobsterdog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:48 pm

ooo i dunno about that. Cory Schneider is fucking TERRIBLE at it.
Lobsterdog

Postby MIKExT » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:02 pm

I read that he agreed not to move them, sadly.
MIKExT

Postby pizzapower518 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:16 pm

The Panthers, Hurricanes, and Coyotes should probably all move for the overall health of the league. QC, Houston, and Seattle are the obvious choices for relocation, although we're probably looking at expansion for some reason.
pizzapower518

Postby MIKExT » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:16 pm

pizzapower518 wrote:The Panthers, Hurricanes, and Coyotes should probably all move for the overall health of the league. QC, Houston, and Seattle are the obvious choices for relocation, although we're probably looking at expansion for some reason.

Literally watching NHL Network right now and they're showing Panthers highlights. Straight up can't believe they are still in South Florida. Seattle seems promising.
MIKExT

Postby redstarohyeah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:33 am

JustinThunderLiger wrote:
redstarohyeah wrote:Can someone explain to me why Karmanos is still standing by "a condition of purchasing the team is staying in Raleigh?" They're consistently the lowest attended team, they are bad, etc., etc. Doesn't basically all of hockey want them to move?

I'm still trying to figure out how they managed two cup final appearances within 4 years (3 seasons and a lockout) and the local market still could not give a shit.

Still love this:
https://sports.theonion.com/carolina-re ... 1819568534

That article is fucking hilarious
redstarohyeah

Postby I gave you power » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:52 am

pizzapower518 wrote:The Panthers, Hurricanes, and Coyotes should probably all move for the overall health of the league. QC, Houston, and Seattle are the obvious choices for relocation, although we're probably looking at expansion for some reason.

This would be IDEAL, but since it's Bettman we'll get Hamilton, Casper Wyoming and London.
I gave you power

Postby pizzapower518 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:56 pm

I would love a team in Hartford again because it's a half an hour closer to me than Newark/NYC. Not that I'm looking to jump ship from the Devils, but it'd be great to cut an hour off my drive time to see an NHL game. I don't think it's realistic considering that market is already insanely saturated but I know the city was lobbying for it last year.

I know you were joking but I don't think Hamilton would be a bad spot for a struggling team. It's not an untapped market with The Leafs and Sabres right there but there's more than enough fans to support a team there.
pizzapower518

Postby Lobsterdog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:03 pm

Santini needs to fall off a fucking bridge. This kid is god awful.
Lobsterdog

Postby TodayWeLive » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:09 am

Lobsterdog wrote:Santini needs to fall off a fucking bridge. This kid is god awful.

It only took Hynes a little over a month to realize he shouldn’t be on the top pairing, while racking up the worst relative corsi in the league. Greene is a #5 at best, these days and Zajac looks like nothing I’ve ever seen from him before. Not only does he have only one point in 11 games, but his relative corsi/fenwick are in the toilet.

He should be playing Severson more. He’s the best defenseman on the team, by quite a bit. Shocking that Hynes and his dinosaur system would prefer to rely on “Shutdown” defensemen like Greene and Santini. Butcher is probably better than them, too. Needz moar shutdown guys tho!
Last edited by TodayWeLive on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
TodayWeLive

Postby TodayWeLive » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:16 am

MIKExT wrote:Literally watching NHL Network right now and they're showing Panthers highlights. Straight up can't believe they are still in South Florida. Seattle seems promising.

Literally the only purpose that team serves after the owners blew it the fuck up last year, is to be another home arena for the Rangers, Habs, Hawks and almost any other big market team. If you ever watch one of their home games, usually when the road team scores, you would never know they were road team, outside of not hearing a goal horn go off. The place only ever gets close to full when a team like the Rangers, Canadiens or a few others come to town. You’ll even hear Ole being chanted, loud and clear when the Habs are in town.

Their owners are also scum. They put their nose in hockey ops last year, where it didn’t belong, when the team was on the rise. Now they’ll be paying for it and their fans will suffer.
TodayWeLive

Postby mintberrycrunch » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:41 am

biz nasty was saying that the Coyotes set the nhl record this year for playing 21 road games in 60 days at the beginning of the season (part of the reason they were so bad) to give them a huge home stretch now when the snowbirds are in town to help them sell more tickets
mintberrycrunch

Postby djilo91 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:10 pm

The Bruins are 21st in the league standings but would be the three seed in their division because the Atlantic is trash.
djilo91

Postby Teeth Malloy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Wow, I forgot Andrew Ladd was on the Islanders. And Jason Chimera's still in the league apparently.
Teeth Malloy

Postby turd burglar » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:36 pm

yo bryan reaves is so fuckin bad at hockey
turd burglar
just a turd

Postby rickayyy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:38 pm

ZUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCC
rickayyy

Postby Lobsterdog » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:19 pm

the Devils are gonna miss the playoffs because Hynes thinks hes funny and puts fucking Noesen on the 2nd line.
Lobsterdog

Postby fuzzy slippers » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 pm

djilo91 wrote:The Bruins are 21st in the league standings but would be the three seed in their division because the Atlantic is trash.

worth noting that they've played like 3-4 less games than the rest of the league, as well.

This Bruins team is actually pretty good when they're not icing three 4th lines and/or driving Rask into the ground. Who knew
fuzzy slippers

Postby TodayWeLive » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:35 am

Lobsterdog wrote:the Devils are gonna miss the playoffs because Hynes thinks hes funny and puts fucking Noesen on the 2nd line.

I don't think Noesen is all that bad, but Zajac looks toast.... Fall off a cliff much? Andy Greene is another one. Noesen certainly isn't a top 6 player or even a top 9 player, I agree with that. Zajac is the real passenger on that line right now.

Hynes tried to beat AV at his own game tonight and failed. And at least AV isn't afraid to play Henrik in a back to back. Kinkaid allows that goal to Vesey a few minutes into the game, and it was stoppable. Not a great angle on that one. Sub-900 goaltending is sure to cost you some points. If they do miss the playoffs, that should about do it for the Hynes experiment. That will be the second year in a row they missed the playoffs after holding a spot at Thanksgiving. This team will never be a consistent playoff making team with him, unless he either changes his dinosaur system, or they acquire boat loads of talent, like Carlyle and Bylsma had. If they make the playoffs this year, I don't expect them to make it back next year with him. It'll be a Patrick Roy one and done, which is what his system greatly resembles. He reminds me of Carlyle, Bylsma, Roy, none of them are any good, but all made the playoffs. Roy's was a fluke, and Carlyle and Bylsma won cups with stacked rosters, filled with hall of famer's.
TodayWeLive

Postby Lobsterdog » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:33 am

Zajac came back too soon. He's clearly not up to speed. I don't think his career fell off a cliff so much as he's just not in playing shape. Maybe I'm wrong but I'll give him the long term benefit of the doubt.

Greene is fucking toast. He skates like Salvador.
Lobsterdog

Postby AThrenody » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:52 pm

Bummed to hear Schwartz is now out 19 games.
AThrenody

Postby mite the mighty » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:13 pm

AThrenody wrote:Bummed to hear Schwartz is now out 19 games.

Sucks man. He's always been good but the numbers are there this year. It'd be nice if Vladdy could start scoring again. Don't get why Yeo split up that line, hopefully Schenn centers his line now.
mite the mighty

Postby TodayWeLive » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:39 pm

Lobsterdog wrote:Zajac came back too soon. He's clearly not up to speed. I don't think his career fell off a cliff so much as he's just not in playing shape. Maybe I'm wrong but I'll give him the long term benefit of the doubt.

Greene is fucking toast. He skates like Salvador.

Greene is shot. I'm not sure he has 2 more years left after this, like he's contracted to. Maybe in a #6 role.

They should be trying Butcher and Severson as the top pairing, but dinosaur Hynes, who doesn't give a fuck about puck possession, won't dare entertain that thought. To him, playing good defense means to stay in your end, keep your positions and defend. That's dated, caveman bullshit. It only took him a little over a month of Santini sucking and racking up the worst relative corsi in the league, to end that experiment. This guy sucks as a head coach. You might make the playoffs once with him, but you won't consistently. You need top notch goaltending, like the Leafs got in the lockout year and like what Varlamov did that year Roy won the Jackass Adams and the Avs made the playoffs.
TodayWeLive

Postby Lobsterdog » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:57 pm

yeah well our goalie is over the hill and trash now too sooooooo
Lobsterdog

Postby TodayWeLive » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Lobsterdog wrote:yeah well our goalie is over the hill and trash now too sooooooo

Come on, man, that's not true at all.

Schneider has been solid this season, outside of maybe too many soft goals for my liking.

He has a .919 save percentage this year, that's quite a bit above league average and closer to his pre 2016-2017 performance. He had a bad year last season, but he looks to be bouncing back. His GAA is high because he faces so many shots. His GAA is bad, but that's on the team. That's a team stat and he faces about 34 shots per game on average? The goalie stat (save percentage) tells me that he's doing his job. The GAA is the team stat.

The goalie that's been the problem this year is Kinkaid.... he's played more like Pavelec or any other bad goalie that you could think of, more than anything. He looks worse than the last few years of Brodeur. He's played more like Hedberg during the lockout season.

I, too, felt like Schneider might be on the decline, as recent as about 5 or 6 weeks ago, but he's progressed much closer to his career averages. If Hynes is serious about the playoffs, he wouldn't rush to throw Kinkaid in there, every time there's a back to back. Torts and AV played their starter in back to back's this weekend, while Hynes felt the need to announce in the middle of the week, that he was gonna start Kinkaid one of the games over the weekend.
TodayWeLive

Postby Check Your Sources » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:35 pm

goaltending has been bailing out the Leafs lately

wait what??
Check Your Sources
USA! USA! USA!

Postby TodayWeLive » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:10 pm

Check Your Sources wrote:goaltending has been bailing out the Leafs lately

wait what??

They've had goalie problems for years. Andersen might be the first legit goaltender they've had since pre-lockout Belfour. Bernier had that one really good year, but then he stunk after that and he was never that great for LA. I remember when he had to step in for Gibson in the WCF last year and saying ''This one's over, Nashville's got this, Bernier will fold'' and he did. Reimer was never any good. Sure, he was good a couple years there, but he's inconsistent from year to year and mostly just stinks. I'm glad that joke of a team in South Florida has him locked up to be Luongo's heir apparent. Enjoy the toilet bowl, losers. They've probably gotten used to it after spending the better part of 2.5 decades in it.

The Leafs still leak shots like crazy, but now they have a goalie who can stop them.
TodayWeLive

Postby Garrett_B_2 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:44 am

Check Your Sources wrote:goaltending has been bailing out the Leafs lately

wait what??

Sometimes you just have to put your faith in a weird ginger who used to stick it to Hilary Knight
Garrett_B_2

Previous