B9 HOCKEY THREAD 4: The Penguins support white supremacy

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Lobsterdog » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:06 pm

mintberrycrunch wrote:more offense from the backend means more offense from the forwards. it all starts in your own zone. also you don't have to worry about "defensive minded dmen" if you're always in the other team's zone

Yes and no.

A great D can spring an odd man rush but if the puck falls on Miles Wood's stick every time, you aren't going to be scoring more goals. You do need forward who can actually do something with the puck when they're put in advantageous positions.
Lobsterdog
Lobsterdog 2: Son of Lobsterdog

Postby pizzapower518 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:13 pm

There's definitely a logjam at forward, especially if Mcleod or Bastian is ready, but I wish it wasn't Henrique that had to go. I also would have preferred someone other than Vatanen, but that might just be because I'm unfamiliar with him.
pizzapower518

Postby Lobsterdog » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:18 pm

I don't know dick about anyone who plays in the western conference.
Lobsterdog

Postby jockario » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:12 pm

lol Zac Rinaldo is still in the NHL
jockario

Postby rickayyy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:47 pm

Hahahaha, Edmonton was down 3-1 and battled back only to lose due to an own goal with a minute left.

Fuck the Oilers. I hope that franchise lives in the dark ages for another 20 years.
rickayyy

Postby TodayWeLive » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:50 pm

Good deal for both teams. This one actually makes sense for both teams, unlike when Shero robbed that fuckin idiot Chiarelli blind in his sleep, with Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall. Vatanen is probably better than Adam Larsson, which was likely the consensus around the league, before Larsson acquired an artificially inflated reputation last year. Vatanen looks to fit like a glove with the Devils. He was expendable in Anaheim, in order to acquire offense. Henrique was becoming the most expendable piece in Jersey, in order to acquire defense.

The bottom line is that Henrique is the kind of player you wanna get rid of before he's 30. He won't be worth his next contract, but he's good to have while he's still on this current, cost controlled and cap friendly contract, which is more than fair for the production you get out of him. The Devils forwards do look worse in the short term, at least until Palmieri gets back. Marcus Johansson is supposedly back this weekend. Blandisi always looked good in limited NHL action, there just wasn't much space for him here.

Good deal for both sides.

And I better not fuckin see Santini and Greene both playing over 20 minutes after this trade. Greene and Vatanen or Greene and Severson should be the top pairing. Santini has been getting murdered the entire season. Teams are feasting on him.
TodayWeLive

Postby TodayWeLive » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:57 pm

rickayyy wrote:Hahahaha, Edmonton was down 3-1 and battled back only to lose due to an own goal with a minute left.

Fuck the Oilers. I hope that franchise lives in the dark ages for another 20 years.

What a BRUTAL own goal by Kris Russell. That's a terrible signing for them, which I've said all along. You can't defend Chiarelli's moves as cap saving/cost cutting moves, when he signs a guy like Kris Russell to a 4 year deal, with $4 million per year. He's like Karl Alzner. Guy is almost as bad as Dan Girardi.

Does anyone still wanna defend Chiarelli over there? Bad trade after bad trade after bad trade. Hall for Larsson and the Barzal pick for Reinhardt, are two of the worst trades of this decade. Fuck all the Oilers fans and everyone who defended that stupid fucking Hall for Larsson trade. Adam Larsson is a #4 defenseman. That trade was robbery. And before that, he trades a first rounder for one of the worst busts of the decade.
TodayWeLive

Postby Check Your Sources » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:25 pm

Yeah poor management has really fucked over that team. The O's should be stacking the W's by now boys. But no W's boys.
Check Your Sources
USA! USA! USA!

Postby Teeth Malloy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:32 pm

Friendly reminder that Peter Chiarelli signed Milan Lucic to a seven-year contract last year.
Teeth Malloy

Postby Lobsterdog » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:42 pm

Kris Russell slapshotted that shit into his own net. that guy is GARBAGE.
Lobsterdog

Postby TodayWeLive » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:59 am

Teeth Malloy wrote:Friendly reminder that Peter Chiarelli signed Milan Lucic to a seven-year contract last year.

The sad part is that his contract isn’t even a problem..., yet. He’s still a useful player, scored 50 points last year, and on pace for another 50 points this year. That’s not bad for his salary. It’s gonna be really painful in a couple years. Russell is what’s hurting right now, that stupid fucking Hall for Larsson deal, trading the Barzal pick for an epic bust and Eberle for Strome, all horrendous and they lose all of these trade and it ain’t even close. They were hosed in all of those trades.
TodayWeLive

Postby mintberrycrunch » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:19 am

and also Lucic was one of the most sought after UFAs. other GMs offered him similar contracts
mintberrycrunch

Postby blackhawks#1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:00 am

DeBrincat and Anisimov got almost half of the Blackhawks' goals in November. 19 out of 41
blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby blackhawks#1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:39 pm

blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby I gave you power » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:02 am

Sabres shut out in three consecutive games. I'm too depressed to even be angry.
I gave you power

Postby xcpmx » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:27 am

I gave you power wrote:Sabres shut out in three consecutive games. I'm too depressed to even be angry.

I'd love to hear your breakdown of that team and what's going on over there. I haven't payed much attention to the standings so I was surprised when I read BUF had the worst record in the league along with ARI. I know a few years back you were pretty excited about the rebuild that was starting and I can't imagine this many years later this is where you thought they'd be.
xcpmx

Postby I gave you power » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:50 am

xcpmx wrote:
I gave you power wrote:Sabres shut out in three consecutive games. I'm too depressed to even be angry.

I'd love to hear your breakdown of that team and what's going on over there. I haven't payed much attention to the standings so I was surprised when I read BUF had the worst record in the league along with ARI. I know a few years back you were pretty excited about the rebuild that was starting and I can't imagine this many years later this is where you thought they'd be.

I genuinely don't even know how to describe it. This is the most listless, disorganized Sabres team I've ever watched, when I can bring myself to actually watch the games. There is NO offensive flow to this team. There are no breakout passes. They can't get the puck on dump-and-chases. They can't cycle. There's nothing. Outside of Kane who's been a monster, and Eichel who -- though a bit off his normal PPG pace -- has been very good -- scoring just doesn't happen. O'Reilly is having his worst season ever, Pominville doesn't look crisp with his shooting, Okposo and Reinhart are useless and guys like Girgensons, Larsson and Griffith are actual pylons.

And not that they're getting help in front, but Lehner and especially Chad Johnson have been AWFUL. Johnson looks like goddamn Patrick Lalime right now.

It's just so disheartening. I was fine with them being awful when they were obviously rebuilding. Then Eichel's rookie season they jump 30 points and it looks like we're headed in the right direction. Last year, Eichel missed the first quarter of the season and Kane/OReilly/Okposo all missed 20+ games too. It was a lost season from the start, so fine.

But this year everyone is healthy. They have a coach that was supposed to be perfectly suited to the new system they wanted to implement. There is no excuse, no excuse on Earth to be ANYWHERE near this bad.

They look years away from even being competitive. I don't know where to go from here.
I gave you power

Postby mintberrycrunch » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:25 pm

sounds like coaching is the issue
mintberrycrunch

Postby xcpmx » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:51 pm

I was wondering if you thought it was Housley who was the issue. I don't get to follow the whole league like i used to so I was surprised to see BUF where they were.
xcpmx

Postby DUTCH MASTA KILLA » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:51 pm

Jim Hughson creaming his pants over the Sedin's passing is bringing back memories from when this team was actually good.

That Naslund video tribute to Daniel was really weird though.
DUTCH MASTA KILLA

Postby I gave you power » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:17 pm

I mean, coaching has to be a part of it, but I have no frame of reference as to the effect of Houselys coaching with prior teams beyond his up-tempo style working with Nashville's defense.
I gave you power

Postby pizzapower518 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:37 pm

It's gotta be Housely. There's way too much talent up front for them to just not be scoring goals.
pizzapower518

Postby Lobsterdog » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:56 pm

Getting blown out by the worst team in the league is extremely good too me
Lobsterdog

Postby mintberrycrunch » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Wedgewood's revenge
mintberrycrunch

Postby jockario » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:20 pm

Fuck Glen Gulutzan
jockario

Postby TodayWeLive » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:33 am

Goaltending has also been a huge problem in Buffalo this year, and it hasn’t been a problem in the past several years, aside from Enroth. Their goaltending kept them from probably being the worst team in the history of ever, back during the year before the McEichel draft.

They were trading away Neuvirth and Enroth, for poor replacements like Lindback. And even he played better than he usually does, for his brief stretch there.

Lehner somehow developed this false reputation for being below average there, but he was a .920+ the last two years. That’s not the case this year.
TodayWeLive

Postby fuzzy slippers » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:50 am

I'd be shocked if Hakstol makes it to next Sunday. I'm not even sure if the Bruins were good yesterday, or if it was just Philly looking utterly lifeless.

I can't imagine guys like Housley or Tocchet get fired before year's end. Bednar didn't even get the boot and last year's Avs team was unspeakably putrid. In Buffalo it seems like a combo of Housley's overall inexperience, matched with their defensemen being, uh, bad. But I'm sure IGYP can speak to that better than I
fuzzy slippers

Postby Daytona 500 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:54 am

Philly has looked horrible multiple times during Hakstol's run. I think the thing is that he's so closely connected to Hextall, so his leash is enormous.
Daytona 500

Postby cstocks89 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:50 pm

If Detroit loses to the jet, someone is getting fired. Especially if its another game where a team opens their ass up, spray paints the walls and leaves trash on the floor.
cstocks89
righteous babe

Postby blackhawks#1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:41 am

my hockey team sux
blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby Daytona 500 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:26 pm

Buffalo getting Scott Wilson for a fifth is nice. No clue why Detroit would want to move him so quickly. Makes the Sheahan trade look not quite as good.
Daytona 500

Postby rickayyy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:30 pm

Moulson on waivers and GM’s calling about Lehner and Johnson.
rickayyy

Postby stiga » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:41 am

I wasn't aware that Thornton is a shitbag headhunter.
stiga

Postby Daytona 500 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:10 pm

stiga wrote:I wasn't aware that Thornton is a shitbag headhunter.

Eh, I don't think it was bad. He was throwing that hit way before Oshie's level changed. Then Thornton dropped them with all-time loser Wilson for a hit that was a mistake and not predatory. Also, WIlson being the hit police is hilarious.
Daytona 500

Postby xnatehatex » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:57 pm

Key Arena getting renovated. I want Seattle to have a team so bad.
xnatehatex

Postby Daytona 500 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Sweet no call on Malkin's stick getting chopped out of his hand before the second Rangers goal.
Daytona 500

Postby mintberrycrunch » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:44 pm

Daytona 500 wrote:Sweet no call on Malkin's stick getting chopped out of his hand before the second Rangers goal.

they actually highlighted that as a "great play" on Rangers post game lol
mintberrycrunch

Postby Daytona 500 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:21 pm

mintberrycrunch wrote:
Daytona 500 wrote:Sweet no call on Malkin's stick getting chopped out of his hand before the second Rangers goal.

Everything after that was super Malkin to complain instead of getting in the play. But yeah, was really surprised it wasn't a call.

Pavelec played his ass off tonight though. He and McDonagh had great nights.
Daytona 500

Postby TodayWeLive » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:43 am

The Hall for Larsson trade, has to be the worst trade of the decade, if it wasn't already. I remember when I thought Luke Schenn for JVR couldn't be topped. Hall is the Devils MVP, while Larsson is a number 4 defenseman, playing top pairing minutes, on a team that can't score. Chiarelli deserves to be embarrassed by this, on top of replacing 75% of Hall's cap hit with an awful defenseman in Kris Russell. Cory Schneider is having a real bounce back year, so far.

Daytona 500 wrote:Eh, I don't think it was bad. He was throwing that hit way before Oshie's level changed. Then Thornton dropped them with all-time loser Wilson for a hit that was a mistake and not predatory. Also, WIlson being the hit police is hilarious.

Wilson is such scum. One angle of that fight, seems to suggest that Thornton lost his footing and wasn't dropped by Wilson. Wilson is like the O'Doyle family in Billy Madison. I have a feeling one day, he's really gonna go down. Serves him right. Him and Gudas are currently the biggest pieces of shit in the league. Gudas is actually good at hockey. Wilson, not so much.
TodayWeLive

Postby TodayWeLive » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:49 am

xnatehatex wrote:Key Arena getting renovated. I want Seattle to have a team so bad.

Are they completely tearing it down and rebuilding it? They got some job, if they're renovating the existing building. It's always been a dump, and it would automatically be the oldest arena in the NHL, upon a team moving in. It's already 6 years older than the current MSG and 20+ years older than the second oldest building, which is the Saddledome, which they already wanna condemn. I like Seattle, though, outside of the climate. I can't wait to travel there, if the NHL does end up there. Too early for exact predictions, but I think there will be one relocated team, and one expansion team. One will be in Seattle, the other will be in Houston. Seattle is a better hockey market, though. If any team relocates, I'd say Carolina is certainly a leading candidate, but they're losing a lot of money on that team in South Florida right now. Especially after they nuked it last year.
TodayWeLive

Postby gravity » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:35 am

Daytona 500 wrote:
mintberrycrunch wrote:

Everything after that was super Malkin to complain instead of getting in the play. But yeah, was really surprised it wasn't a call.

Pavelec played his ass off tonight though. He and McDonagh had great nights.

That's funny I thought McDonagh had a so so night. Maybe that's just because he is paired with Nick Holden
gravity

Postby xnatehatex » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:04 pm

If you wanted to know what it would look like if Michael Scott put in his two weeks and stopped trying as an NHL coach this would be his lines.

Blackhawks lines this morning:
Hartman-Toews-Hayden
Saad-Anisimov-Kane
Bouma-Schmaltz-DeBrincat
Sharp-Wingels-Panik
xnatehatex

Postby JustinThunderLiger » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:31 pm

TodayWeLive wrote:Wilson is like the O'Doyle family in Billy Madison.

I see him more like Biff Tannen in Back to the Future.

I'll show myself out.
JustinThunderLiger

Postby TodayWeLive » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:58 pm

xnatehatex wrote:If you wanted to know what it would look like if Michael Scott put in his two weeks and stopped trying as an NHL coach this would be his lines.

Hartman-Toews-Hayden
Saad-Anisimov-Kane
Bouma-Schmaltz-DeBrincat
Sharp-Wingels-Panik

I figure if the Hawks miss the playoffs, just hypothetically speaking here, Q might be gone. I can see them firing him via promotion. Like kicking him upstairs and keeping him in the organization. I'm sure someone else will hire him to be a head coach, if he wants it. Especially with how many openings there are these days, I'm looking at you, Edmonton.
TodayWeLive

Postby Daytona 500 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:42 pm

Whoa, that was quite a bad goal given up by Forsberg.
Daytona 500

Postby xnatehatex » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:34 pm

TodayWeLive wrote:
xnatehatex wrote:If you wanted to know what it would look like if Michael Scott put in his two weeks and stopped trying as an NHL coach this would be his lines.

Hartman-Toews-Hayden
Saad-Anisimov-Kane
Bouma-Schmaltz-DeBrincat
Sharp-Wingels-Panik

I figure if the Hawks miss the playoffs, just hypothetically speaking here, Q might be gone. I can see them firing him via promotion. Like kicking him upstairs and keeping him in the organization. I'm sure someone else will hire him to be a head coach, if he wants it. Especially with how many openings there are these days, I'm looking at you, Edmonton.

In my opinion I don't see that happening. Quenneville and StanBo have not seen eye to eye for a while now, from what I've seen/heard/read. Quenneville is a great coach but has areas he's not the greatest at, but what coach doesn't? The season feels weird in the sense that I wouldn't be shocked if Quenneville was canned at some point, with how the Blackhawks have been performing.
xnatehatex

Postby blackhawks#1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:47 pm

Knocking a tooth out of someone's face gets a 4 minute penalty. That made me laugh
Not that I necessarily disagree with it
blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby Daytona 500 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Matthew Tkachuk speared Matt Martin from the bench during a scrum. Enjoy your suspension, scumbag.
Daytona 500

Postby Check Your Sources » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:44 am

yeah that was fucking greasy. garbage human.
Check Your Sources
USA! USA! USA!

Postby mintberrycrunch » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:15 am

TodayWeLive wrote:The Hall for Larsson trade, has to be the worst trade of the decade, if it wasn't already.

Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat

Ryan McDonagh for Scott Gomez
Scott Hartnell for RJ Umberger

there's others I can't think of
mintberrycrunch

PreviousNext