B9 HOCKEY THREAD 4: The Penguins support white supremacy

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby turd burglar » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:31 pm

murray fuckin sucks
turd burglar
just a turd

Postby rickayyy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:33 pm

Jimmy Howard is dominating right now.
rickayyy

Postby I gave you power » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:08 am

Watched the Rags game since I was at my buddy's house and that's his team, and Jimmy Howard was playing out of his damn mind last night. Henrik was doing the same in the first period too.

And the Sabres actually won! Next win I think is schedule for late December.
I gave you power

Postby stiga » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:00 pm

I'm not being a homer here, but, this hit went unpunished by the refs and the Devils?
stiga

Postby Lobsterdog » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:09 pm

Taylor Hall bulldozed some fuckin bozo later but yeah, I think because Nico got up and continued in the play that no one on NJ tried to crack that assholes head open.

Should've been a boarding minor. The refs missed a fuckin high sticking double minor last night too and nearly cost us the win. Blind fucks.
Lobsterdog
Lobsterdog 2: Son of Lobsterdog

Postby Garrett_B_2 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Ready for Montreal to break my heart against Buffalo tonight.
Let's see if 3 weeks off has fixed whatever was ailing Ol' Cocaine Carey
Garrett_B_2

Postby CareyP » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:57 pm

It's time for the BRIAN BOYLE HAS CANCER intermission sponsored by PSE&G.

Every damn game. Imagine if someone in his family was a veteran. The league could sell so many pink camo jerseys.
And I thought it couldn't get worse than when they highlighted Zach Parise's dead father every game.
CareyP

Postby pizzapower518 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:16 pm

I don't even mind it. It's amazing that the guy is playing hockey four months after being diagnosed with Leukemia. I never pay attention to the intermission reports anyway. Just mute the tv/stream.
pizzapower518

Postby TodayWeLive » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:04 pm

Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson, continues to look a JOKE trade. Traded a legit first line LW for a #4 defenseman, who can't skate that well, can't put up too many more points than your average defenseman and has mediocre corsi numbers and mediocre numbers in most metrics.

Chiarelli has made a number of embarrassing trades over the last 2 years.

Traded the Barzal pick to the Islanders for one of the biggest busts in the last 5 years. Whether or not that's who they would have picked, I don't know, but it looks awful.

Traded Eberle for a middle 6 forward like Strome.

He's really on a roll.

Don't forget that he signed a BAD defenseman like Kris Russell to a 4 year deal, worth $4 million per year. He's actually taking some of the spotlight off of Marc Bergevin.
TodayWeLive

Postby TodayWeLive » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:11 pm

pizzapower518 wrote:I don't even mind it. It's amazing that the guy is playing hockey four months after being diagnosed with Leukemia. I never pay attention to the intermission reports anyway. Just mute the tv/stream.

I have to agree.

I'm not a big fan of the way he's been used, first unit PP, fourth shooter in the shootout a few games ago, being on the ice to close out games, etc. I do think it's remarkable what he's done. You have to remember, not many players have played after a cancer diagnosis, nor this soon after one.

And I know, it's not a serious case of it, but with the league sponsoring Hockey Fights Cancer, this story is going to get more press time than it otherwise may. I have no problems with it. It's either that or Stan Fischler's intermission report, with Eklund speculation moves.
TodayWeLive

Postby TodayWeLive » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:12 pm

Lobsterdog wrote:Taylor Hall bulldozed some fuckin bozo later but yeah, I think because Nico got up and continued in the play that no one on NJ tried to crack that assholes head open.

Should've been a boarding minor. The refs missed a fuckin high sticking double minor last night too and nearly cost us the win. Blind fucks.

The ref missing that non-call on the high stick to Wood, is like when a goaltender claims he was screened on a wraparound goal haha. The dude was like a couple feet away. I'm not saying he didn't see it, but if he didn't see it, he's doing something wrong.
TodayWeLive

Postby gravity » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:42 pm

Been away for a few days but pretty sure it hasn't been brought up, what do you think of the Winter Classic Jerseys? I like them both

gravity

Postby Tell 'Em Steve Dave » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:44 pm

TodayWeLive wrote:Traded Eberle for a middle 6 forward like Strome.

This one I really love because of the rumors that they're already trying to move Strome.
Tell 'Em Steve Dave

Postby Lobsterdog » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:30 pm

They're talking about trading Nugent Hopkins now too.

Him, Leon and McJesus are the only guys worth a fuck on that whole team. Better get rid of one of em, Pete!
Lobsterdog

Postby pizzapower518 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:33 pm

Drew Stafford for RNH straight up.
pizzapower518

Postby TodayWeLive » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:02 pm

Lobsterdog wrote:They're talking about trading Nugent Hopkins now too.

Him, Leon and McJesus are the only guys worth a fuck on that whole team. Better get rid of one of em, Pete!

You forgot Adam Larsson, too. Oilers fans told me he was one of the main reasons they made the playoffs last year, and why Talbot had a great season. Despite the fact that Talbot was good in 15-16, without Larsson, he just played almost 20 fewer games and the non-Talbot goalie’s were pathetic. So will they now blame Larsson for Talbot playing poorly this year? It’s only fair, right?

Larsson isn’t even as good as Damon Severson, contrary to popular belief. The only year he was the Devils best defenseman was in 15-16. He was used as a middle/bottom pairing defender during his first 3.5 years there, and was regularly a healthy scratch under DeBoer. He’s overrated as fuck. He actually wasn’t even overrated, until he got to the Oilers, since most fans around the league, didn’t even think he was any good. The consensus was that he was very underwhelming for a 4th overall pick, and many even used that four letter B word.
TodayWeLive

Postby Daytona 500 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Penguins are making progress with a couple of teams on a Cole trade. I'm guessing for a winger. Hunwick has been shockingly great, guess that made Cole expendable on an expiring deal. Be a bummer to see him go though, such a big part of the two cups.
Daytona 500

Postby mintberrycrunch » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:51 pm

Hunwick has been shockingly great for a few years now. but for some reason its still a shock
mintberrycrunch

Postby Daytona 500 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Murray playing his best game in a while.

Aaaaaand he's hurt.
Daytona 500

Postby Lobsterdog » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:47 pm

Fuck Cory Schneider
Lobsterdog

Postby Daytona 500 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:05 pm

The flyers stiiiiiiiiiink
Daytona 500

Postby turd burglar » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:21 pm

yo i was at the game tonight, best one ive probably ever seen , always so exciting that rivalry
turd burglar
just a turd

Postby TodayWeLive » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:29 pm

Lobsterdog wrote:Fuck Cory Schneider

How can you blame him? It was a total no-show. He allowed maybe one stoppable goal?

Getting outshot 31-10 after 2 period's by the fucking piece of shit Florida Panthers, who are like the worst team in the league (in all but actual record) tonight? Devils top pairing is a dumpster fire, that's on Hynes to change. Greene isn't very good anymore, Santini is completely fucked in this current role. When you get outplayed that badly by the Panthers, you either didn't show up or you're doing something very wrong. They didn't just lose to the Panthers, they were bitch slapped by the Panthers. Schneider made it look like a close game. They need to play Severson more, he's the best defenseman on the entire team. Not Santini, and not geriatric Greene anymore.

By the way, have they moved forward with the proceedings to relocate the Panthers to Quebec City or Seattle, yet? I bet the Rangers are gonna nuke them tomorrow night.

I think AV is off the hot seat now, but Hakstol really looks like the first head coach firing of the season.
TodayWeLive

Postby Lobsterdog » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:36 pm

TodayWeLive wrote:
Lobsterdog wrote:Fuck Cory Schneider

How can you blame him? It was a total no-show. He allowed maybe one stoppable goal?

Yeah, the fuckin last one that lost the game.
Lobsterdog

Postby xnatehatex » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:39 am

Alex DeBrincat
xnatehatex

Postby righteous jad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:31 am

gravity wrote:Been away for a few days but pretty sure it hasn't been brought up, what do you think of the Winter Classic Jerseys? I like them both

Spoiler: show

Both great
righteous jad

Postby TodayWeLive » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:27 am

Lobsterdog wrote:Yeah, the fuckin last one that lost the game.

I thought the bad goal he allowed was the first goal against, the shorthanded one. It was a shot from just outside the circle and beat to the far side, over the glove and very clean. Not a good goal, whizzed right past his glove and straight up beat him. Not completely his fault, as it was shorthanded, but he could have stopped it.

Second goal, I'll give you that one, too. It looked like Greene was screening him, while Trocheck snapped one between Greene's pads and just beat Schneider with it. From almost the same spot, at the opposite circle. Far side on the blocker side. That one was definitely stoppable if seen.

I thought the game winner was the least stoppable.

Greene and Santini are a brutal, brutal pairing. Santini has one of the worst relative corsi percentages in the league. -15.2 before last night's game. Greene is at -5.9, which is the third worst on the team. They're playing Greene like he's still good, which he's really not. And while Larsson wasn't that great, Santini is horrific in this role. You would think this coaching staff would realize this by now, because you don't need analytics to tell you that Greene looks like last year's Lovejoy when he was on the top pairing, and that Santini gets trapped in the D-zone, almost every shift he's out there for. He fools the coaches and many fans into thinking he's responsible, because he boxes out and keeps his positioning. Meanwhile, Severson is by far the best on the team at a +8.2 relative corsi. This is why the Devils get killed in possession every night and allow 38 shots on goals. Hynes has yet to show that he has any grasp on X's and O's and personnel. He's like DeBoer with personnel, with the X's and O's of AV.
TodayWeLive

Postby TodayWeLive » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:03 am

xnatehatex wrote:Alex DeBrincat

I was high on him before that draft. Was surprised he wasn’t picked higher.
TodayWeLive

Postby Lobsterdog » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:41 am

Hynes is horrific and he needs to go.
Lobsterdog

Postby blackhawks#1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:49 am

xnatehatex wrote:Alex DeBrincat

:smt031 :supz:
blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby blackhawks#1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:42 am

blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby Daytona 500 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:19 am

Bobby Mac says 2-4 weeks on Murray, shitty. At least Jarry is a good replacement. Not very different from when Murray took over.
Daytona 500

Postby Daytona 500 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:08 pm

Holy shit is Bylsma boring on NHL Network
Daytona 500

Postby TodayWeLive » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:56 am

Lobsterdog wrote:Hynes is horrific and he needs to go.

I've never liked him. Schneider made him look A LOT better than he really was in 15-16, Schneider probably made him look a bit worse than he was last year, now a shooting percentage over 10%, is making him look amazing. He's the kind of guy that the media and fans around the league, who just see where the team is in the standings, will lazily give all the credit to. That's why he'll win the Jackass Adams, unless Gallant and Vegas actually make the playoffs. I can see the Devils imploding down the stretch, but the same people who are jocking Hynes right now, will never give him any blame if they implode down the stretch. It will be ''Well, they overachieved and he got them all those points!''. He looks like Carlyle or Bylsma 2.0, if anything. His system sucks, and it's built on cashing in on opportunistic goals/rushes and ''Defending'' the lead, by trapping themselves in the defensive zone. AV is another coach he reminds me of.

Fans around the league think AV is so great, but Luongo made him look amazing in Vancouver, Lundqvist made him look good with the Rangers and now that Lundqvist looks like he's slowing down the last 2 years, AV's stock is also going down a bit.
TodayWeLive

Postby I gave you power » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:19 am

This Sabres team is so demoralizing. Shut out in two straight games.
I gave you power

Postby Lobsterdog » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:27 am

Does Hynes even have a system? What is the system? On offense it appears to be "shoot from anywhere" and defensively it appears to be "heavily lean on all my worst players for the most important minutes"
Lobsterdog

Postby righteous jad » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:07 pm

Daytona 500 wrote:Penguins are making progress with a couple of teams on a Cole trade. I'm guessing for a winger. Hunwick has been shockingly great, guess that made Cole expendable on an expiring deal. Be a bummer to see him go though, such a big part of the two cups.

Any word on where he is likely to land?
righteous jad

Postby fuzzy slippers » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:01 pm

Good challenge, that was 100% a good goal
fuzzy slippers

Postby mintberrycrunch » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:09 pm

agreed
mintberrycrunch

Postby TodayWeLive » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:23 pm

Lobsterdog wrote:Does Hynes even have a system? What is the system? On offense it appears to be "shoot from anywhere" and defensively it appears to be "heavily lean on all my worst players for the most important minutes"

It seems like it's one of these systems that relies on a few high quality and opportunistic chances, then stands around the D-zone and plays not to lose, rather than playing to win. That's why you see Boyle, Santini, Coleman, etc, out there to ''Defend'' a lead in the 3rd period. Hynes is one of these cavemen that thinks playing good defense, means to stay stuck in your end and defend. AV is like that, Carlyle, Patrick Roy was like that. Santini has been awful. The pairing of him and Andy Greene is the reason why they get their shit pushed in on possession almost every night. I mean, Adam Larsson isn't that good, but Santini made Larsson look like Scott Stevens in that role. That's how bad Santini has been. His relative corsi is the worst in the league, out of anyone that's played over 10 games this season. That's no exaggeration, either. Santini's numbers were more than fine last year, when he was playing a lesser role, against weaker competition. Severson needs to be played more, he's the best defenseman on the team and it isn't even close. He's actually one of the better players on the team, outside of Taylor Hall.

And Andy Greene looks like he's eroding by the day, but he's not nearly problem that Santini is right now. Santini is so bad in that role, he actually makes the Lovejoy of last year look competent. Lovejoy was used the same way, and I thought he looked terrible in that role. Steve Santini is really raising the bar in suckage per 60 minutes.
TodayWeLive

Postby Daytona 500 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:26 pm

Jon Cooper is a good coach, Jon Cooper seemed to be one of the earliest adopters of the current speed style of hockey.

Jon Cooper continuing to play Callahan and Kunitz together is wild.
Daytona 500

Postby fuzzy slippers » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:43 pm

Tuukka looked terrible on that close-call Johnson breakaway, but has been good tonight otherwise. Not like he's had to do much. I know Tampa is on the end of a back to back but they should not be getting dominated by Boston like this
fuzzy slippers

Postby SlapshotTheMovie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:25 am

As per Ducks.

Vatanen and a conditional pick for Henrique, Blandisi and a 3rd.
SlapshotTheMovie

Postby Daytona 500 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:27 am

Ray Shero out here improving the weak spot on his team using a center that was playing wing.
Daytona 500

Postby eilers » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:40 am

Dorsett forced to retire due to problems with his repaired neck :smt009

"I'm devastated by the news. It will take a long time for this to truly sink in. As hard as it was to hear, Dr. Watkins' diagnosis is definitive. There is no grey area, and it gives me clarity to move forward. I have a healthy young family and a long life of opportunities ahead of me. Hockey taught me a lot and it will help me be successful in whatever I choose to do in the future.

"I still have so many thoughts to share and people to thank for all of their support," continued Dorsett. "What I can say for certain right now is that I left it all out on the ice. I gave my heart and soul to the teams I played for and never backed down from a challenge, including this one. I am proud of the way I played. It made me successful and a good teammate. Most of all I am truly honoured and grateful to have lived the NHL dream."
eilers

Postby xcpmx » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:43 am

Tough to see Adam go but I like the this trade. Once Mueller returns we’ll no longer have a need for Prout or Lovejoy either. I don’t think Adam had a spot in our top 6 once Palms and Johansson return so he was expendable. I liked Blandisi too but he’s been passed by.
xcpmx

Postby pizzapower518 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:56 am

It's such a bummer to see Henrique go and i think Blandisi will end up having a pretty good career, but the Devils need D bad.

I don't catch many Ducks games so I know next to nothing about Vatanen but from what I've been read he's more of an offensive D-man who's average on D. I'm not excited about it but we'll see how it goes.
pizzapower518

Postby Tell 'Em Steve Dave » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:46 pm

pizzapower518 wrote:It's such a bummer to see Henrique go and i think Blandisi will end up having a pretty good career, but the Devils need D bad.

I don't catch many Ducks games so I know next to nothing about Vatanen but from what I've been read he's more of an offensive D-man who's average on D. I'm not excited about it but we'll see how it goes.

Yeah, between Severson, Moore, and Butcher I thought we'd have enough offensive D-men who are average to below average on D. Would've preferred a more defensive minded D-man, especially since Greene is only getting older and shittier. Hopefully I'm dumb and he's exactly what we needed.
Tell 'Em Steve Dave

Postby Lobsterdog » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:40 pm

it should take some of the burden off of Butcher but I'm not that excited about giving away a guy who scored 30 for us once when we still struggle to score goals.
Lobsterdog

Postby mintberrycrunch » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:44 pm

more offense from the backend means more offense from the forwards. it all starts in your own zone. also you don't have to worry about "defensive minded dmen" if you're always in the other team's zone
mintberrycrunch

PreviousNext