Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Thread v10000

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby xAJXDx » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:05 am

X-cement-filled-bottle-X wrote:got my purple belt today, pretty pumped. now I don't feel like a chode for doing this for as long as I have.

Hell yeah man
xAJXDx

Postby Hardline Mike » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:07 am

Congrats!
Hardline Mike

Postby The Good Father » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:09 am

Congrats man!
The Good Father

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:19 am

thanks dudes!
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby Kenny Fury » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:19 am

Congrats again Eric. Are you going to be at JT's seminar on Saturday? I will be there shooting.
Kenny Fury

Postby Kenny Fury » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:49 am

Fresh from the printers, I've got a new design available on my site, Sink Swim Jiu Jitsu Collective. It's my favorite one that I've done so far. Please buy it, because I spent a stupid amount of out of pocket money printing all these shirts.

http://www.sinkswimjiujitsu.com

Please check out the other shirts I have for sale as well.

I have a lot of cool stuff coming up soon to build the content on the site including:

-Mike Calimbas Photographer Profile

-Stefan Kocev Photographer Profile

-Unity Jiu Jitsu School Academy Profile

-JT Torres Video Interview

I'll be doing a lot more video and written work in the near future. Thanks for checking it out. Here's a picture of the Miyaos I took this weekend.

Kenny Fury

Postby xNameHatex » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:33 pm

Was it weird asking them to pose that way? Did you ask Joao to turn around for more of a prom type photo?
xNameHatex

Postby Hardline Mike » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:45 pm

Kenny Fury wrote:Fresh from the printers, I've got a new design available on my site, Sink Swim Jiu Jitsu Collective. It's my favorite one that I've done so far. Please buy it, because I spent a stupid amount of out of pocket money printing all these shirts.

Seriously tho, these designs are head and shoulders above the BJJ shirts that are out there.
Hardline Mike

Postby xNameHatex » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:51 pm

Congrats on the purple belt.

I just watched the Gordon v Ralek on youtube. Its funny to see the latest Metamoris is Ralek getting skull-rode for minutes on end in a small gym to a small audience of children and some guy rocking a stroller.
xNameHatex

Postby Kenny Fury » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Hardline Mike wrote:Seriously tho, these designs are head and shoulders above the BJJ shirts that are out there.

Thank you so much. I'm working hard to do things a little different, and on my own terms. I'd like to think my taste is good and hopefully other people will think the things I think are cool actually are cool. I'm excited to drop a ton of stuff if it somehow catches on, which is the tricky part.

xNameHatex wrote:Was it weird asking them to pose that way? Did you ask Joao to turn around for more of a prom type photo?

No, not particularly. It was a little awkward to initially approach them, Bones, Jonas, etc about taking their photos since I had never met them before (I've known Murilo and Ana however for a long time and consider them good friends). I explained to Paulo in Portuguese that I was writing an article about Unity and asked to photograph them together and they were very kind and agreeable and fortunately, understood me. I showed it to Joao the next day and he said, "beautiful!" which made me very happy.

I'll be traveling back and forth to Unity both to finish writing, shoot more, and of course train, so I expect I'll be working with the PSLPB guys more in the immediate future which will be cool.
Kenny Fury

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:33 pm

Kenny Fury wrote:Congrats again Eric. Are you going to be at JT's seminar on Saturday? I will be there shooting.

yup! I'll see you there man.
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby xNameHatex » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:16 pm

That's cool, I'm really looking forward to that profile. I hope to have a voice like Murilo when I grow up.
xNameHatex

Postby xNameHatex » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:29 am

UrbanSavage wrote:Took several months off and got really into surfing. I've just been running or working out and surfing every day and I've leaned out a lot while old injuries healed up. Got back on the mat a few times this week and my game feels better than it was before the break. It's crazy. Going to start training regularly again and see where it goes.

Half the fun of jiu jitsu is not being intimidated by anyone in the lineup.

On the other hand, it's hard to know which clean cut frat boy in Newport is actually a Mendes brother brown belt.
xNameHatex

Postby Kenny Fury » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:11 am

I executed a MONSTER bridge on my judo coach, trying to reverse him after a throw, and immediately felt something wrench in my back and now I'm moving around like an elderly man. I ignored it last night and wrestled light and if felt better once warmed up and stretched out but today feels worse. Ryan says it is probably not my actual back, but where my ribs connect in my back. Dis suck.
Kenny Fury

Postby Hardline Mike » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:55 pm

What part of the back?
Hardline Mike

Postby Freddie's Pizza » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:20 pm

Moved to the Bay recently and started training at Heroes in Downtown San Jose with Gumby Marquez. He's s third degree blackbelt under Ralph Gracie and was teammates with the Camarillo brothers, BJ Penn, Kurt Osiander, Cameron Earle and has all these awesome stories from those years. Also awesome jiujitsu and tough ass training partners.
Freddie's Pizza

Postby Kenny Fury » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:37 pm

Hardline Mike wrote:What part of the back?

Middle, just to the right of my spine. It's a weird feeling. Not painful per se, just very tight and has me moving slowly.
Kenny Fury

Postby Hardline Mike » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:16 am

That sounds like a pretty common deadlift injury. Try this, it should help a lot:

Hardline Mike

Postby Heathenist » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:12 am

Hardline Mike wrote:That sounds like a pretty common deadlift injury. Try this, it should help a lot:

Thanks for posting this, this shits been bothering me for about a month now. It hasn’t been debilitating at all, but just tight and kind of annoying. I think it happened squatting a while back, wish I had seen this when it first happened though.
Heathenist

Postby Kenny Fury » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:28 am

I'll give it a shot. Very fortunately, either taking last night off and resting, or soaking last night made it feel much better today. I can still feel it, but it is not hindering my normal movement, like standing up, or climbing into my Jeep. Gonna roll tonight.
Kenny Fury

Postby Kenny Fury » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:43 am

Pretty much dying waiting to publish these two articles I have queued for Stefan Kocev and Mike Calimbas. I just need to Stefan to read over it and tell me it's cool, and for Mike to send me 4 pictures. That's it. But Mike is super tied up with work and F2W and Stefan is at the RVCAloha thing. So I just check my email every 5 minutes.

Hoping to sell some more shirts shortly. Thanks to everyone and anyone in the thread that's supported my thus far. I've manaeg to ship every order I've received thus far in under 24 hours FYI. Usually I package it up as it comes in. My stickers are taking forever from the printer.

Shooting with JT tomorrow, and stoked for that. Genuinely worried that the light I bought just for his interview is too bright and will fuck his eyes up. We'll see.
Kenny Fury

Postby Hardline Mike » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Well I just got evacuated from the Thomas fire, so hopefully my shirt won't have burned up by the time I get home.
Hardline Mike

Postby Kenny Fury » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:50 pm

If it does, or smells like smoke and can’t be cleaned, let me know and I’ll get another out to you.
Kenny Fury

Postby Hardline Mike » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:01 pm

Thank you man!
Hardline Mike

Postby Heathenist » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:04 pm

Going to my first seminar tomorrow. Not really sure what to expect. The guy doing it came to class tonight and showed us some side control escapes and rolled with us, seems like a nice guy and I like the way he teaches so I'm hoping the seminar is kinda similar. There will also be a belt promotion, but considering I'm an 8 month white belt, and I still suck, I'm obviously not expecting anything, but it'll be cool to see some teammates get promoted hopefully.
Heathenist

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:17 am

Kenny, heard the JT Torres Seminar was hot fire, bummed I missed it, wife got stuck on a 36 hour shift, so I was Mr Mom all weekend.
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby Kenny Fury » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:13 am

X-cement-filled-bottle-X wrote:Kenny, heard the JT Torres Seminar was hot fire, bummed I missed it, wife got stuck on a 36 hour shift, so I was Mr Mom all weekend.

He showed sooo much and was really an open book. I really enjoyed shooting him. I already forgot 99% of what he showed, but granted I was paying more attention to my camera than his seminar, and didn't physically participate. I'm bad at seminars, I forget too much too fast and my notes don't make any sense later. I try to hold onto one thing to remember, and for this one it was the positioning of his leg for knee cut passing, and the grip/pressure he uses for passing open guard. That's it. No fancy sequences, just need to remember the approach.

Wish I could post some stuff, or start cutting video but the charger for my laptop died, or maybe I just broke it. I don't know. But I'm waiting for a new one in the mail cause it is the older kind and Target didn't carry it. Which sucks because I was definitely gonna buy a new one, and put the old one back in the box and return it 10 minutes later.
Kenny Fury

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:36 am

how often are you going to Slombas? we were gonna try and get a group together to head up there for an open mat and show some love.
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby Kenny Fury » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:43 pm

Every Sunday. Rarely miss the 10am open mat.
Kenny Fury

Postby Kenny Fury » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:43 pm

https://www.sinkswimjiujitsu.com/mike-calimbas-profile/

Had the opportunity to interview workhorse photographer and BJJ purple belt Mike Calimbas for my site Sink Swim. Check it out, and maybe share the link to get the word out. Thanks.

I have upcoming profiles on Stefan Kocev (written) and JT Torres (video) coming out very soon, as well as a shop you can order t-shirts to support the growth of the site. Thanks for checking it out.
Kenny Fury

Postby Heathenist » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:02 pm

Heathenist wrote:Going to my first seminar tomorrow. Not really sure what to expect. The guy doing it came to class tonight and showed us some side control escapes and rolled with us, seems like a nice guy and I like the way he teaches so I'm hoping the seminar is kinda similar. There will also be a belt promotion, but considering I'm an 8 month white belt, and I still suck, I'm obviously not expecting anything, but it'll be cool to see some teammates get promoted hopefully.

The seminar was cool. We went over so many damn positions, I probably remember how to do half of them, but they were simple enough that I think I could actually use them. I tried to write down everything we covered at the end so I could go back and try to remember them, but even if I only remember a few, it will be worth it. A lot of the stuff at the end was advanced ninja stuff that there's little chance of me using anytime soon anyways. We went over mount attacks for a while, mainly armbars, and my entire rib cage is sore from drilling the s-mount position for so long.

There were three black belt promotions out of the 20-25 students who were at the seminar. Plus 2 browns, 5 purples, and a blue.
Heathenist

Postby Kenny Fury » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:15 pm

Who was the seminar with?

The way I look at it, is a seminar is like adding a skill point to your character. Even if you take away one valuable thing, ONE thing that you'll use forever, it was worth the 50-100 bucks or however much it cost. I use half guard attacks I learned as a new blue belt from Bruno Frazatto today as a fairly competitive black belt. Can't put a price on that.
Kenny Fury

Postby Heathenist » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:25 pm

Kenny Fury wrote:Who was the seminar with?

The way I look at it, is a seminar is like adding a skill point to your character. Even if you take away one valuable thing, ONE thing that you'll use forever, it was worth the 50-100 bucks or however much it cost. I use half guard attacks I learned as a new blue belt from Bruno Frazatto today as a fairly competitive black belt. Can't put a price on that.

Dimitri Chrisos, actually from your neck of the woods I think (if you're still in DC).
Heathenist

Postby Kenny Fury » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:28 pm

Sure, I know Dimitri pretty well. Or at least well enough that we talk when we run into each other.
Kenny Fury

Postby Heathenist » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:21 pm

Kenny Fury wrote:Sure, I know Dimitri pretty well. Or at least well enough that we talk when we run into each other.

Oh cool. He seems like a nice guy and like I said, I really like the way he teaches.

Also, are you a black belt now?
Heathenist

Previous