Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Thread v10000

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Kenny Fury » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:17 am

Gnargoyle wrote:Does s-mount score points? Notably if the person on bottom is on their side and not back flattened or anything thats closer to full mount, but just like a leg over the side? Asking for a friend.

Yup
Kenny Fury

Postby Kenny Fury » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:32 am

MattG wrote:Kenny, I'll buy one of those shirts if you've got a XXL left.

Also, is anyone doing no-gi worlds? I never do no-gi but a student/friend of mine wanted to do it and bought me a ticket. So I'm signing up too.

Just checked, I do have a couple XXLs, and I am gonna make sure I order a small amount for each future batch as well just to have them on hand.
Kenny Fury

Postby Gnargoyle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:42 am

Kenny Fury wrote:
Gnargoyle wrote:Does s-mount score points? Notably if the person on bottom is on their side and not back flattened or anything thats closer to full mount, but just like a leg over the side? Asking for a friend.

Yup

Fuck.
Gnargoyle

Postby Kenny Fury » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Site is live, although will have a temporary front page until next week when the shop is live. www.sinkswimjiujitsu.com
Instagram is @sinkswimjiujitsu
Kenny Fury

Postby xAJXDx » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:57 pm

Hell yeah Kenny.

Just rolled with Claudia do Val. She had a 10hr layover in Houston. We held a nice lunch hour session to train. Smashed the shit out of me. It was great.
xAJXDx

Postby xNameHatex » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:48 pm

I like the name.
xNameHatex

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:37 pm

xAJXDx wrote:Hell yeah Kenny.

Just rolled with Claudia do Val. She had a 10hr layover in Houston. We held a nice lunch hour session to train. Smashed the shit out of me. It was great.

did you profess my love for her? just wonderin
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby xAJXDx » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:15 pm

I did. That’s why she beat the shit out of me. Told me to relay the message.
xAJXDx

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:13 pm

xAJXDx wrote:I did. That’s why she beat the shit out of me. Told me to relay the message.

I like it rough.
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby Hardline Mike » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:01 am

Went to a Jeff Glover seminar at Paragon last week. Felt cool learning some deep half guard, but not sure how much I'm going to incorporate that into my game. Any have success attacking from there? My coaches right now are telling me as a bigger dude that I should mostly stay on top even though I do like playing guard.
Hardline Mike

Postby The Good Father » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:50 am

Hardline Mike wrote:Went to a Jeff Glover seminar at Paragon last week. Felt cool learning some deep half guard, but not sure how much I'm going to incorporate that into my game. Any have success attacking from there? My coaches right now are telling me as a bigger dude that I should mostly stay on top even though I do like playing guard.

I felt that way when I first started playing around with it too, being tall with long legs felt like it was useless against stubby people. Even complained about it in here and had Kenny tell me I was wrong about it being body type specific. Now its one of my comfort positions. Regularly get sweeps from there and the main part I'm still fine tuning is back takes.
The Good Father

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:07 am

The Good Father wrote:
Hardline Mike wrote:Went to a Jeff Glover seminar at Paragon last week. Felt cool learning some deep half guard, but not sure how much I'm going to incorporate that into my game. Any have success attacking from there? My coaches right now are telling me as a bigger dude that I should mostly stay on top even though I do like playing guard.

I felt that way when I first started playing around with it too, being tall with long legs felt like it was useless against stubby people. Even complained about it in here and had Kenny tell me I was wrong about it being body type specific. Now its one of my comfort positions. Regularly get sweeps from there and the main part I'm still fine tuning is back takes.

I play the fuck out of half guard. absolutely love it, for a multitude of reasons. if you frame it properly, you can prevent any sort of forward or upward progression from your opponent, and if you get laid flat in it, you can still counterbalance/pendulum move to recover or escape top half control.

I've been making sure I get myself into precarious positions with it in training to ensure I have an out, or can defend and recover. this has subsequently helped my top game from half guard as well because I can now recognize positions I was vulnerable in from bottom half and use it to my advantage.

fuck anyone who says half guard has to be for small/long/xyz guys, I'm a bigger dude and it works wonders for me. absolutely 100% my favorite position. I have a TON of sweeps from there and plenty of submissions, gi or no gi.
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby The Good Father » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:29 am

Take it you're talking about half rather than deep half? Mike was talking bout deep, which I was having problems with myself at first but now love.

Regular half it something that's a core part of my bottom game though.

Been doing the same in terms of precarious positions especially being under side control, that's been my main focus for the last few months.
The Good Father

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:43 am

The Good Father wrote:Take it you're talking about half rather than deep half? Mike was talking bout deep, which I was having problems with myself at first but now love.

Been doing the same in terms of precarious positions especially being under side control, that's been my main focus for the last few months.

either or. I will transition to deep half if needed. or if I feel like the person doesn't have an answer for me playing that deep. I really like to play deep half to a kickout sweep/back take. lockdown, deep, regular, its all gravy BAYBAYYYYYY. half guard for life. <- Kenny, make a shirt.
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby Kenny Fury » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:10 am

X-cement-filled-bottle-X wrote:
The Good Father wrote:Take it you're talking about half rather than deep half? Mike was talking bout deep, which I was having problems with myself at first but now love.

either or. I will transition to deep half if needed. or if I feel like the person doesn't have an answer for me playing that deep. I really like to play deep half to a kickout sweep/back take. lockdown, deep, regular, its all gravy BAYBAYYYYYY. half guard for life. <- Kenny, make a shirt.

There are some shirts coming, and they all advocate takedowns and smashing guard hahaha!
Kenny Fury

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:15 am

Kenny Fury wrote:

There are some shirts coming, and they all advocate takedowns and smashing guard hahaha!

big Kenny is top game Kenny. :smt042 :smt042 :smt042
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby Kenny Fury » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:20 pm

Kenny Fury wrote:

big Kenny is top game Kenny. :smt042 :smt042 :smt042

Half guard is now used when I get swept, or when I make a style vs style decision against another guy. Right now, it is judo and pass. :smt035 :smt035 :smt035

Got a nice little 4 man division @185lbs at the Good Fight tournament this weekend. Have about 6lbs to sweat out after work and then I can weigh in. 15 min sub only rounds, and a no time limit final.
Kenny Fury

Postby Hardline Mike » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:45 pm

I do like half guard from the bottom, so I'll probably try to incorporate some deep half. Thanks guys.
Hardline Mike

Postby Kenny Fury » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:50 am

Won my division yesterday at that small tournament with a 50/50 heel hook in the semi final (this tournament was sub only, and allowed reaping and twisting footlocks in the gi- weird rules) but not before he heel kicked me in the face and split my eyelid open trying to escape. Won the final with an extremely LOL submission that I made up on the spot. Opted to not fight no gi which was bad in that I wanted more matches, but good in that my eye is bandaged up and all. Had a juvenile blue belt win adult blue belt gi and no gi, a masters blue belt win adult blue belt gi and no gi, and two purple belts that won no gi and closed it out together. No losses for the team, all wins by sub.
Kenny Fury

Postby Hardline Mike » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:56 pm

Congrats Kenny! What was the sub in the final?

Eddie Bravo must be higher than usual if he thinks that people are gonna pay PPV for slapjitsu when they're already paying for Fightpass. I woulda watched if I didn't have to pay $20.

Just had one of my coaches tell me Franjinha is gonna let me compete at blue belt at no gi worlds in December, so I'm pretty excited about that. Back to dieting to make it down to super heavy.
Hardline Mike

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:45 am

Kenny Fury wrote: Won the final with an extremely LOL submission that I made up on the spot..

fuckin way LOL'd at that submission. complete disrespect. that dude needs to hand his brown belt back in.
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby Kenny Fury » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:32 am

Hardline Mike wrote:Congrats Kenny! What was the sub in the final?

Eddie Bravo must be higher than usual if he thinks that people are gonna pay PPV for slapjitsu when they're already paying for Fightpass. I woulda watched if I didn't have to pay $20.

Just had one of my coaches tell me Franjinha is gonna let me compete at blue belt at no gi worlds in December, so I'm pretty excited about that. Back to dieting to make it down to super heavy.

Katahajime is the specific name in judo, but in jiu jitsu its just a lapel choke variation where you go under the arm and behind the head for more leverage. He was trying to just hold on instead of escape, and I was frustrated, so I finished it by standing on his chest.

Edit: Sidenote: Im cleaning off the matches from my old Hackintosh and deleting all personal stuff. It runs Snow Leopard. Anyone want it for 50 bucks plus a few bucks for shipping by any chance? I used it when I was in Brazil/for travel years ago.
Kenny Fury

Postby Hardline Mike » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:11 pm

Hahahaha I actually use that instead of going for bow and arrow sometimes.
Hardline Mike

Postby Kenny Fury » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:30 am

First two shirt designs are being printed as I speak (plus the old Arte Suave design). Third and fourth will come shortly after I (hopefully) either recoup some cash, or get paid again.

Three interviews confirmed and underway (one by phone, one through gmail and one on video). Gonna be siiick.
Kenny Fury

Postby Kenny Fury » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Picking up shirts tonight. Just need to snap some photos after training and then they will be up for sale. Hooray. Gonna publish the skeleton of the site as well, although it is sparse with content because I'm still adding stuff from collaborators.

Here are some pictures from the sub only tournament I did last weekend:
Kenny Fury

Postby Kenny Fury » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:57 pm

www.sinkswimjiujitsu.com
IG- @sinkswimjiujitsu

3 shirt designs up for sale. Already out of mediums in the black pocket tee (more will be printed soon)
Interviews and articles and photography coming shortly. Everyone is slow except for me.
Kenny Fury

Postby Heathenist » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:21 pm

Kenny Fury wrote:Picking up shirts tonight. Just need to snap some photos after training and then they will be up for sale. Hooray. Gonna publish the skeleton of the site as well, although it is sparse with content because I'm still adding stuff from collaborators.

Here are some pictures from the sub only tournament I did last weekend:

Someone needs to take like 3 of his 15 stripes.
Heathenist

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:13 pm

:smt042 :smt042 :smt042 :smt042 seriously how many fucking stripes are on there?!
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby xAJXDx » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:06 pm

7?!
xAJXDx

Postby Hardline Mike » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:43 pm

I really like the initial designs, Kenny. Stoked to get my Mickey shirt.
Hardline Mike

Postby Kenny Fury » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:55 pm

Hardline Mike wrote:I really like the initial designs, Kenny. Stoked to get my Mickey shirt.

Thanks man! Gonna restock some sizes that are out/almost out in the next week and probably add another design while I'm at it. Your package should get there tomorrow if it hasn't already come by the way.
Kenny Fury

Postby Hardline Mike » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:40 pm

Awesome. I'm in Texas for Thanksgiving but pumped to rock that when I get home tomorrow!
Hardline Mike

Postby xAJXDx » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:00 am

What part?
xAJXDx

Postby Hardline Mike » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:17 pm

Just got back from Liberty Hill, about an hour outside of Austin.
Hardline Mike

Postby Heathenist » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:09 pm

Caught a guy at open mat last week with a sneaky ezekiel choke from the bottom of side control. It was a guy I hadn't seen in the gym before, but said he'd been training for 4-5 years. He was being super aggressive right from the start, which isn't really my style, and he also called me out to roll pretty quickly, probably because I was the only white belt there and he seemed like he wanted to prove something, so it felt cool to catch him in a sneaky sub. He armbarred me like a minute later.

I've also been playing with SLX a lot and have been getting a lot of sweeps and straight ankle lock attempts from there (but I haven't been super aggressive with trying to finish them yet). I've just been trying to go for it from whatever position I can. It seems like such a powerful position once it's locked in, I'm surprised more people don't go for it constantly. Still working on transitions from there, where to go after the sweep, working on trying to finish the ankle lock more, and trying to figure out some alternative sweeps/things if the main sweep gets blocked. If anyone has any videos they'd recommend from that position I'd appreciate it.
Heathenist

Postby Hardline Mike » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Just rip straight ankle locks all day. That's all my game is.
Hardline Mike

Postby Heathenist » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:01 pm

Hardline Mike wrote:Just rip straight ankle locks all day. That's all my game is.

That's basically what I'm going for, just gotta get better finishing the ankle locks. Been boning up via youtube though, so I think I can go after them a little more confidently now.
Heathenist

Postby Hardline Mike » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:09 pm

Dean Lister has a pretty good leg lock DVD I got awhile back. Also, here's 3 and a half hours of leg lock videos compiled on youtube.

(totally forgot how to insert youtube videos)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ySzNfQxzLw&t=
Hardline Mike

Postby Kenny Fury » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:41 pm

Just reordered shirts, so all sizes will be restocked on my site within the next couple days. I ran out of mediums quick. Everyone is a medium.
Ordered a fourth design too that I'll be posting at the same time as the restocks. My favorite of the four so far.
Kenny Fury

Postby xNameHatex » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:18 am

Heathenist wrote:
Hardline Mike wrote:Just rip straight ankle locks all day. That's all my game is.

That's basically what I'm going for, just gotta get better finishing the ankle locks. Been boning up via youtube though, so I think I can go after them a little more confidently now.

Scoot that bone on the inside of your wrist as low as you can on their ankle and twist your body when your arching backwards. The twist does wonders for tightening everything up and causing pain.
xNameHatex

Postby Hardline Mike » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:20 pm

Speaking of this, anyone have opinions on when you should start training footlocks in general, and I guess particularly at least getting familiar with heel hooks? A purple belt from my school just fought in Fight2Win against a 10p dude who legitimately only goes for heel hooks, and got tapped pretty quickly with one. Since I like straight ankle locks, last time I trained with him he asked me if I could show him basics of ashi and 50/50. I kinda just feel like it's necessary to learn especially if you're planning on competing.

Had to pull out from a small NABJJF tournament that's happening tomorrow in Orange County because I had cellulitis in my shoulder. That shit hurt bad, and the antibiotics sucked even worse.
Hardline Mike

Postby Hardline Mike » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:15 pm

Also, it's a pretty shitty card, but holy shit Joe Soto just got subbed with a calf slicer on the TUF finale in under a minute in the first round.
Hardline Mike

Postby Kenny Fury » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:24 pm

White belt. Heel hooks hurt less people and do less damage than a kimura.
Kenny Fury

Postby Hardline Mike » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:05 pm

See, that's my opinion, and my instructors are generally ok with it, but I have even purple belts say no when I ask if they're ok with me going for heel hooks.
Hardline Mike

Postby XLeisureSuitX » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:55 am

Hey going to start BJJ where I live in Scotland. Anyone able to give me like 5 tips for starting out?
XLeisureSuitX

Postby 87demo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:17 pm

Got my first stripe, felt pretty good. Hopefully I'll be doing some competitions next year.
87demo

Postby xAJXDx » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:50 pm

XLeisureSuitX wrote:Hey going to start BJJ where I live in Scotland. Anyone able to give me like 5 tips for starting out?

1) go.
2) keep going.
3) you’ll get better.
4) your cardio will get better.
5) lose the ego, you’re going to “lose”.
xAJXDx

Postby UrbanSavage » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:30 pm

Took several months off and got really into surfing. I've just been running or working out and surfing every day and I've leaned out a lot while old injuries healed up. Got back on the mat a few times this week and my game feels better than it was before the break. It's crazy. Going to start training regularly again and see where it goes.
UrbanSavage

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:45 pm

got my purple belt today, pretty pumped. now I don't feel like a chode for doing this for as long as I have.
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby XLeisureSuitX » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:52 pm

xAJXDx wrote:
XLeisureSuitX wrote:Hey going to start BJJ where I live in Scotland. Anyone able to give me like 5 tips for starting out?

1) go.
2) keep going.
3) you’ll get better.
4) your cardio will get better.
5) lose the ego, you’re going to “lose”.

Thanks man, tbh I am fully open to getting my arse handed to me constantly so ego won't be a factor haha
XLeisureSuitX

PreviousNext