Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Thread v10000

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:02 pm

xNameHatex wrote:
X-cement-filled-bottle-X wrote:welp, getting old sucks. first major injury I've ever had in Jiu Jitsu, wonky position during sparring led someone to fall onto the outside of my knee, looking like a little more than a partial MCL tear, its painful to the touch, and a bitch to move around on. quick visit to the doc says 4 weeks to limit swelling and hopefully start healing, if no progress, looks like I'll be getting my first cadaver piece maybe.

MCLs do a good job of healing themselves. Take the time off and strengthen the muscles around it in safe ways while it heals.

hoping so, fingers crossed on this one. soreness doesn't really worry me too much, but its the legit sharp pain from the slightest touch that concerns me.
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby Gnargoyle » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:02 pm

A couple guys that were in my division moved up at the deadline for this weekend so now its just me, a teammate, and one other guy. I'm assuming they'll set it up round robin but I'll likely just have the one fight. On the up side I'll get to sign up for absolute, which will be an experience.
Gnargoyle

Postby Kenny Fury » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:31 am

Trust me, you guys have it so much better nowadays as far as competition goes. Tournaments (except for Grapplers Quest and NAGA) were few and far between a decade ago, run so much poorly (a complete shit show) and you never knew if you were even going to have a single fight if you were a purple belt or above. Usually you just fought the same people until the end of time.

Pre registration tournaments with competitor lists are a god send. I wish every tournament did this shit (they do in Brazil), especially when you have to fly to them. At featherweight purple belt, if you wanna compete seriously, you'll be in one of the deepest divisions outside of blue belt, so don't worry. It will get much, much better. Probably 6 fights to win purple feather at Worlds now. Definitely at least 5. At IBJJF Opens, you'll always have 3 or 4.

But if you only have one guy from another team, either go all in on beating that guy and don't worry about leaving anything in the tank for the next fight, or just move up to lightweight to get more fights.
Kenny Fury

Postby xAJXDx » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:55 am

Hell feather weights in general. I remember in 2009 going to a random tournament in Myrtle Beach. "Yeah so... can you do medium heavy?"
xAJXDx

Postby final_justice » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:34 am

Yeah I'm gonna go all in if I do end up with just one match. My opponent is def up there among the best at GD and competes way more than I do but I'll be happy either way being able to go back out there.
final_justice

Postby final_justice » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:14 pm

Well I ended up losing in the first round (the two other guys I mentioned before did end up moving to my division) on points but I felt pretty good and calm for not competing in a good while. Got overhead swept like a BAYBAYYYYYY from dlr and was on the defensive from half guard and couldn't get any space lol But I never felt like I was in serious trouble since it seemed like my opponent didn't really threaten with any finishes despite mounting me once and passing twice. Dude had ridiculous top pressure. I think if I do the next tourney in a couple months here I'll feel a lot more in the groove of things again. Adding another default bronze medal to my collection >_< Made it into some of the tourney pics as well

final_justice

Postby Gnargoyle » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:10 pm

Did well yesterday despite only being on the mat a couple times in the last month or so. My div ended up having 4 guys, one of which was a teammate. I was up first and after the guy initiated a take down, I pulled into half guard. From there I swept, passed, knee on belly, slid to mount, chilled, bumped, repeat. Had a couple choke attempts, but I was pretty gassed by that point due to out of shape n all. Looking back he was giving up his arm all day but I was a little tunnel visioned in holding my position. Ended up winning 23-2. Teammate won by Ezekiel in about 0:45, putting the dude completely out. So we went 1 and 2. Open div didn't go quite my way at all, but overall feels good man.
Gnargoyle

Postby Kenny Fury » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:22 am

Damn 23-2 is styling! Good job.
Still getting a few more photos from my matches trickling in as the photographers get their editing done. Pretty siked at the amount of locals that go out and photograph as a hobby or to sell to competitors (although some are kinda pricey esp for digital downloads) and the amount the IBJJF covers with their own guys. These are a mix from the DC and ATL Open.
photo upload on internet
Kenny Fury

Postby MattG » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:12 am

Here's a choke some of you might enjoy
https://youtu.be/NTM6v7-NTxg
MattG

Postby xNameHatex » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:10 pm

Looks interesting. Do you start with a super tight grip on the lapel or do you leave a little slack?
xNameHatex

Postby MattG » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:15 pm

xNameHatex wrote:Looks interesting. Do you start with a super tight grip on the lapel or do you leave a little slack?

Leave some slack. I think my grip is usually around their collar bone
MattG

Postby Kenny Fury » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:37 am

Hey Matt can you post the full link to your YouTube channel? Those shortened links are firewalled at my school.
Kenny Fury

Postby MattG » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:27 am

MattG

Postby Kenny Fury » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:45 am

Was offered a match with Kamal Shalorous at a F2W in November. Ryan gets the final say on whether I do it after practice tonight, but it looks like I will be.
Kenny Fury

Postby xAJXDx » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:35 am

Hell yeah Kenny. What weight class?
xAJXDx

Postby Kenny Fury » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:14 am

185lbs. From what Ive heard, dude is insanely strong, and I know he was an Olympic caliber Iranian wrestler, so this could be interesting.
Kenny Fury

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:35 pm

Kenny Fury wrote:185lbs. From what Ive heard, dude is insanely strong, and I know he was an Olympic caliber Iranian wrestler, so this could be interesting.

that's weird, Tim Dawson was offered to fight Shalarous as well for F2W, after his original opponent dropped out. might wanna make sure you two haven't been double booked.
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby Kenny Fury » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:00 pm

What a twist!! Might have taken too long to respond to my offer. Whoops?
Kenny Fury

Postby Kenny Fury » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:44 am

Dang, so it looks like because I took two days to respond (had to get home from Boston and run it by my coach first) they gave Kamal to Tim at a heavier weight. Sucks I missed my shot, but Im on standby incase he needs a fill in for the card.

Still got a New Breed event tomorrow, although my division isnt scheduled to start til SEVEN FUCKING PM!!!!!!!!

Then I have a US Grappling next weekend.
Kenny Fury

Postby xAJXDx » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:51 pm

So impatient.
xAJXDx

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:35 pm

we're getting Tim ready for that fight, as well as a fight with Devhonte Johnson in Charlottesville at the end of the month, so its no gi like a motherfucker, yeaaaaaaaah boyeee
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby Kenny Fury » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:09 am

FUCK!!!! I gave up on videoing matches, because handing off a camera and worrying about that shit before I wrestle is too much of a distraction or a hassle, but for once, I am so fucking mad I didn't get video!!

Showed up to New Breed UC in Baltimore and was slated to compete at 7 FUCKING PM. Got there like an hour before, and they inform me that there is no one my size to fight, and I probably wouldn't get a match. I stay to coach one of our teens who just got his blue belt and is fighting in adult advance no gi and adult blue belt. Well the tournament director comes over and says a lightweight from Alliance is willing to come up 20lbs to give me a match. I am very grateful and run to get dressed and warm up.

Right before we walk out, I ask what the time limit is, because I know it is different from IBJJF. They tell me 4 minutes. WTF?? Apparently, my opponent was only down for a Masters match. So Im kind of pissed, knowing I showed up and paid 90 bucks for a single, four minute match. But cant worry about that, because we are about to step out on the mat right then.

We grip up, I take an over the back grip and grab his belt, drive in, and he tries to pick up my leg. Perfect fucking storm. Could not have asked for any better set up. I have the dominant grip, he his driving into me with bad posture, I am a few inches tallers and 20lbs heavier. I step in and throw harai harder than I have ever fucking thrown anyone in competition or practice combined. I threw him so hard he almost flipped all the way back to his feet. But I let go of the grips mid air, he he was just flying through space before I (completely disconnected) landed flat on top of him. I thought for sure he was going to be knocked out for a second, but the throw was so clean and fast he probably didn't even feel it. I am so fucking mad I didn't get video. I heard the crowd go "OHHHHHHH" and no less than five people came up to me afterwards and comment on it. I passed his guard quick, moved to north/south, fished a kimura and he actually knocked me off balance. As he tried to pass, I latched onto his leg from my knees, stood, to a single, switched around his waist, and hoisted him with the second biggest throw I've ever hit.. a back lift way, way over my head with a hard slam to finish. More "OHHHHHS" from the crowd. I actually spiked my own head into the mat being a little overzealous, so I took my foot off the gas and sat in his guard momentarily while he tried to set up a triangle. I passed again to north/south, took a kimura/wrist lock and time ran out which was probably for the better, because he was tired and I was very amped up and was probably about to rip his arm all the way off.

Wish I would have brought no gi stuff and jumped into that.

Our 16 year old took second in Advanced No Gi (he doesn't know footlocks quite yet) and won his Blue Belt division dominantly by 20 point deficits before the sub. He's a very scrappy former wrestler, built like he's in his early 20's. Very aggressive too.

Gonna do a US Grappling this weekend and should have some guys actually show up. Got another belt doe.

Kenny Fury

Postby Kenny Fury » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:10 am

X-cement-filled-bottle-X wrote:we're getting Tim ready for that fight, as well as a fight with Devhonte Johnson in Charlottesville at the end of the month, so its no gi like a motherfucker, yeaaaaaaaah boyeee

That Bones fight will be really good. Are they going to stream it anywhere? Is Tim fighting Kamal in no gi? Cause they had offered it to me 10lbs lighter and in a gi..
Kenny Fury

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:17 am

Kenny Fury wrote:
X-cement-filled-bottle-X wrote:we're getting Tim ready for that fight, as well as a fight with Devhonte Johnson in Charlottesville at the end of the month, so its no gi like a motherfucker, yeaaaaaaaah boyeee

That Bones fight will be really good. Are they going to stream it anywhere? Is Tim fighting Kamal in no gi? Cause they had offered it to me 10lbs lighter and in a gi..

yeah, 195lbs No Gi. Kamal asked for 190lbs and Tim said nope, so he agreed to 195lbs. I don't know if the bones match will be streaming anywhere, but its at Charlottesville BJJ at that "No Gi Superfights" thing they put a few times a year.
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby Kenny Fury » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:11 pm

Is Tim that big, or he just didn't feel like cutting down?
Kenny Fury

Postby craiglowery » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:18 pm

Going back to class tonight after taking a few months off and I'm nervous as fuck. Does anyone else get anxious before class? Lol
craiglowery

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:22 am

Kenny Fury wrote:Is Tim that big, or he just didn't feel like cutting down?

Yeah, Tim walks around at probably 210-215. He's also lean as a motherfucker, so there isn't a whole lot for him to cut other than water weight, and hes getting older, has a kid, a full time job, yadda yadda yadda, so I can understand not wanting shed +20lbs for too much longer.
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby xAJXDx » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:28 pm

I had a private lesson this weekend with Brandon Mullins of GB TX. This was for the Submit Harvey charity, a fundraiser for those affected in Houston jiu jitsu community. It was a 1hr private, and I haven’t had a private since 2010. For those who don’t know, he’s a light feather/rooster no gi worlds and pans champ. He did the “defeating strong opponents” dvds with Stephan Kesting. He’s 5’10” ~140lbs. Same as me. I told him I loved his dvds, and he goes “show me what you like, and let’s make sure you’re doing it correctly”. It ended up being ~2hr, and he brought a bigger brown belt to help. Ended with some positional sparring. Best jiu jitsu details I’ve seen in a long time. Solid dude. Will probably start training with him at least bimonthly from now on.
xAJXDx

Postby Kenny Fury » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:49 am

Frustrating weekend. Only one match at middle heavy, which was a former training partner and good friend. Started the match out with a quick takedown.. ouchi gari as a counter to a single leg. Passed the guard a couple times. Pressured a head and arm choke and ezekiel that I couldn't finish. Kept transitioning to try and finish and got single legged as I tried to force an osoto at the end. Won 8-2 or 10-2 or somewhere around there.

Bye first round of the open, then fought the same guy as from my weight. This time it was much closer, he nearly swept me, I put him in the crucifix, but when he escaped it, he got 2. I swept back and he pulled me into 50/50, and I got an advantage off of a collar choke turned brabo that I held until time just about ran out. Won 2-2 1-0ad. Next match was against the guy that won. I lost to him before. He has shit jiu jitsu but he is 260 and super athletic. He blast doubled me and ezekieled me from my half guard after laying on me for a few minutes. Lost the third place match after being up 3-0 on ads. Buddy turtled, I let him up to try and take his back in the final seconds, he grabbed my leg and I sat to burn the clock, and they called it a single leg. You cant initiate a single from turtle, even if you stand afterwards, but Im not going to sit an argue with a friend who was also the ref over a 3rd place decision at some local tournament. Whatever.

I found a ticket to San Antonio for 98 bucks, so hopefully brown belts start signing up.
Kenny Fury

Postby Kenny Fury » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:21 am

So I've officially decided to commit to a new little pet project, similar to what I wanted to do with Cult but didn't follow through on. More or less, it is going to be a website with a modest store (shirts and hats that I draw/design), essays, interviews and photography centered around jiu jitsu. I've wanted a creative outlet for these things for awhile, but have never pursued it due to time constraints and my inability to promote myself or put myself in a spotlight, so this should be a cool way to do the things I like low key under a pseudonym. If people end up liking it and checking it out, then cool. As of right now, I mostly just plan on creating as much stuff as I feel like, giving it to friends if they like it too and seeing what happens.
Kenny Fury

Postby xAJXDx » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:40 am

Remaking the damn Cult shirt with the eye/shield should be priority #1. Its in my top 5 favorite shirts, and the armpit is ripping.

Will endorse/purchase shit. All of your shirts were badass.
xAJXDx

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:31 pm

my cult shirts are all still alive and well. the graphics held up on those really well.
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby Gnargoyle » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:27 pm

Cult seems to be before my time, but I'll support the hell out of it.
Gnargoyle

Postby Hardline Mike » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:13 pm

xAJXDx wrote:Will endorse/purchase shit. All of your shirts were badass.
Hardline Mike

Postby Kenny Fury » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks guys!! You'll be happy to know that the printer I used for Cult is still my guy and will be doing the new stuff as well, just on better quality material. I already have a secret site with a few designs and other pieces of media mocked up, and I've been sketching things out and playing around with a ton of stuff this entire week. I think I'll have product in hand and a live site by early November even, and once it gets going, I'm sure I'll have more ideas and options.

Article and interview wise, are there any athletes you guys are particularly interested in?

Edit: By the way, I have like 3-5 of S-XXL of my Arte Suave shirt leftover (I just found a box I didn't know I still had with some) if anyone wants one for a little cheaper than I was selling it before. 20 bucks shipped? They are printed on American Apparel tri blend, so they were a little pricey to make.

Kenny Fury

Postby xNameHatex » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:28 am

Sounds cool, don't keep that link a secret for too long.
xNameHatex

Postby Hardline Mike » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Competed in SJJIF world last weekend and ended up closing out super heavy white belt gi with someone from my school and then placing second in the open weight. Then on the second day, I decided that eating was better than competing as super, so I signed up for ultra heavy and got second, losing to a college wrestler.

All in all very happy with the tournament. I went 6-2 for the weekend with 5/6 wins by sub and both losses on point.
Hardline Mike

Postby Heathenist » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:29 pm

Hardline Mike wrote:Competed in SJJIF world last weekend and ended up closing out super heavy white belt gi with someone from my school and then placing second in the open weight. Then on the second day, I decided that eating was better than competing as super, so I signed up for ultra heavy and got second, losing to a college wrestler.

All in all very happy with the tournament. I went 6-2 for the weekend with 5/6 wins by sub and both losses on point.

I thought there were rules against college wrestlers competing at white belt.
Heathenist

Postby Hardline Mike » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:50 am

In most federations there are. I didn't know till after the finals, and I don't expect the federation to check everyone's name vs college records or anything. If anything it's just testament to the fact I gotta work on my wrestling.
Hardline Mike

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:30 am

tapped a fat kid with pressure from the back while he was belly down last night. LOL.
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby Kenny Fury » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:10 am

Good result, and good attitude towards getting better. Congrats.

First couple shirt designs should go out to the printers this week, and when I have them in hand I will post some pictures. Written stuff is coming along, waiting to hear back from a few people to get going full steam on articles and interview material.
Kenny Fury

Postby Hardline Mike » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:42 pm

Additionally, Erberth is massive. I walked by him a few times this weekend and felt small and I'm 6'3" 225ish.
Hardline Mike

Postby xNameHatex » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:18 am

That's interesting to hear because on the videos I've seen he never looked that big to me, so I was always a little confused.
xNameHatex

Postby Kenny Fury » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Finalized three designs tonight and sent them to my printer for quotes so I can choose a brand to print on and confirm. Could have them in hand by as early as next week even. One pocket tee with a super simple design, one white t with a giant back design, and one four sided longsleeve. Plus the Arte Suave triblend tees I already have printed.

On top of that I have a design for a dad hat and a regular snapback or beanie finalized. Plus two others on deck we're still working on. Had a lot of help with the artwork and illustrations from a tattooer friend of mine that will be helping me out.

In addition to that, I have sent out two interview requests and am working on some written pieces, in addition to a video vignette I started cutting together. I scrapped the website and redid it, and it is pretty much all the way done, and I am just waiting until I have the actual merch in hand, and a bit more content to post before it goes live.
Kenny Fury

Postby MattG » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:20 am

Kenny, I'll buy one of those shirts if you've got a XXL left.

Also, is anyone doing no-gi worlds? I never do no-gi but a student/friend of mine wanted to do it and bought me a ticket. So I'm signing up too.
MattG

Postby final_justice » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:48 pm

They're gonna start having a local no gi tourney here in AZ next year and conveniently we just started up no gi classes at my school. Pretty sure I wanna do it since I've never done a legit tourney before aside from an in house grappling meet long time ago when I was into MMA and barely knew anything.
final_justice

Postby xAJXDx » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:05 pm

Just saw on ig that Erin got her black belt from Cobrinha.
xAJXDx

Postby Heathenist » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:41 pm

final_justice wrote:They're gonna start having a local no gi tourney here in AZ next year and conveniently we just started up no gi classes at my school. Pretty sure I wanna do it since I've never done a legit tourney before aside from an in house grappling meet long time ago when I was into MMA and barely knew anything.

Any more details on this? Who is going to be putting it on/roughly when?
Heathenist

Postby Roger_BD » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:22 am

Took 1st place at my first tournament at purple belt. It was only a 3-man bracket, with another purple belt and a 200 lb blue belt who had a no-show in his bracket. Not a huge achievement, but it was my first competition after 1.5 years (I had been working on my Ph.D. dissertation and trying to graduate), so it felt good getting back into competing with a small tournament. Also, I just moved to a new city and joined a new gym, so it felt good to medal for my new team.

Here's the video of my first match. I had forgotten how hard people go in competitions, so I was caught in some bad positions at first. Fortunately, the guy emptied his gas tank pretty quick and I managed to capitalize. I think I won 14-0. Feedback always welcome; my half guard was getting knee slice'd through pretty easily, so I know I gotta work on that.

Roger_BD

Postby Gnargoyle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:20 am

Does s-mount score points? Notably if the person on bottom is on their side and not back flattened or anything thats closer to full mount, but just like a leg over the side? Asking for a friend.
Gnargoyle

PreviousNext