Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Thread v10000

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Gnargoyle » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Signed up for a local tourney. Jiu Jitsu By The Bay on Oct 1st. Going middleweight this time as I'm pretty busy with work and wont be able to train and focus on it as much leading up to it. Just trying to get more comp experience.

Haven't been able to train as consistently lately (work). So I've been trying to make it count when I can go (going back-to-back classes, drilling/rolling extra afterward, etc.) I need to start being more disciplined and making morning classes, but I'm getting home from work at midnight sometimes so 5.5 hours sleep then training straight into work isn't the most appealing schedule. But I'm going to figure it out because I need to train more.
Gnargoyle

Postby Kenny Fury » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:34 pm

Some random photos from the New Breed tournament in Virginia Beach:

Kenny Fury

Postby xNameHatex » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Lookin' good Kenny. Are you going to keep the mermaid look for the school year?
xNameHatex

Postby Gnargoyle » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:30 pm

Better than the bleach trend, honestly.
Gnargoyle

Postby plasticbomb » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:55 pm

Rolled with this more experienced white belt on saturday who is always mad ott/trying to flex when I train with him. Glad to say I had control for the majority of the round and was putting into action some of the things I've been learning/drilling pretty smoothly. One of the blue belts I roll with sometimes whos quite blunt/brutally honest even gave me props and gave me some tips which was cool considering I'm just an annoying white belt to him haha. This sport is so much fun.
plasticbomb
won the league in black and white

Postby final_justice » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:05 pm

Heathenist wrote:
final_justice wrote:Finally competing again after 2 years at a local tournament here in AZ. Will be my first at purple belt and my division is hella small but all scary good dudes from what I saw at the last local comp. Gracie Barra and Andre Maracaba's team have been killing it here recently.

What tournament? I wonder if any dudes from my gym will be competing.

I went to a beginner's class yesterday, it was my first time back since hurting my shoulder, and it went pretty well. We didn't do anything that put my shoulder in any kind of compromising positions, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes from here on out, but I'm excited to get back into it.

It's the Southwest Classic on September 30th.
final_justice

Postby Kenny Fury » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:23 pm

xNameHatex wrote:Lookin' good Kenny. Are you going to keep the mermaid look for the school year?

I got a haircut yesterday, so the sides are normal and there is less green up top. I was gonna try to dye it back brown, but now I think I just don't really care, and will let it just grow out and keep cutting it since i keep my hair short.
Kenny Fury

Postby Hardline Mike » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Anyone planning on doing SJJF Worlds in October, AKA fake worlds? I guess my school is trying to send a big team and looks like I'm gonna sign up.
Hardline Mike

Postby NealWhite » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:25 am

Anyone coming to the Atlanta summer open next month? It will probably be my first competition.
NealWhite

Postby xAJXDx » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:20 am

Where you train in ATL?
xAJXDx

Postby xNameHatex » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:01 am

I got my purple belt last night.
xNameHatex

Postby Heathenist » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:07 am

xNameHatex wrote:I got my purple belt last night.

Damn dude! Congrats!
Heathenist

Postby xNameHatex » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:43 am

Thanks, it doesn't make my eyes pop the way my blue did, but I think I'll get used to it.
xNameHatex

Postby NealWhite » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:45 am

xAJXDx wrote:Where you train in ATL?

Unit 2 off ponce de Leon ave.
NealWhite

Postby plasticbomb2 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:28 pm

Posting(someone tried getting me banned lol)
plasticbomb2

Postby xNameHatex » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:53 pm

Anyone excited for ADCC? It used to be my favorite tournament to watch, but I got a little over it after the Cuban Chode tortoised his way to gold in 2015.
xNameHatex

Postby Kenny Fury » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:04 pm

This is one of the strongest and most interesting years for ADCC in recent history. I am very excited.
Kenny Fury

Postby xAJXDx » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:37 pm

Houstonian checking in to say a lot of jiu jitsu family here got fucked pretty bad by Harvey. Fight2Win is doing a donation deal to help those who got fucked. I'm good, my home is good, my gym is good. Help those if you can, and don't give to Red Cross. We have a lot of local charities that will help us better.
xAJXDx

Postby xNameHatex » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:36 am

Glad to hear you're alright.

I think I initially wrote off this year's ADCC because of the lack of defending champs ala Rodolfo and Ramos, but looking at the roster it is absolutely stacked with the potential for fun, interesting matches as well as angry rivalries.
xNameHatex

Postby Kenny Fury » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:11 pm

Just registered with the USJA. I am officially a judoka. And I cannot pronounce my rank (schichikyu). I've taken four judo classes... ever. Entering a tournament the weekend after next (next is DC Open) and gonna see if I can ippon some fools.

Also, was 192.8 after training last night, 193 tonight. No idea what I am waking up at because the balanced scale is at the gym, and I'm not there til night time now, but that's the lightest I've been in years, and the weight is still coming off.
Kenny Fury

Postby Roger_BD » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:44 am

Moved to Detroit from Seattle about a month ago. Started training at 313 BJJ, a Marcelo Garcia affiliate. There are two tournaments coming up in the next two months and I'm excited about getting back into competing after taking a year off to write my dissertation. Also I got my purple belt the day before I left Seattle, so that was exciting too.
Roger_BD

Postby MattG » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:04 am

Finally taking the IBJJF rules course so I can register my black belt with the IBJJF next Friday in Toronto. Any Torontonians on here that can suggest some day classes to sropnin. Most likely going to hit up Primal MMA or Revolution and eat the rest of the day.

I was listening to the UFC unfiltered podcast yesterday and Renzo and Rickson were on it. Renzo was talking about a big guy from a band that said an arm-in guillotine would never work. Matt Sera insisted that it was someone from Biohazard. After a minute or two, Renzo says something like "he's from Madball. Hoya from Madball. They are still playing." Hardcore is everywhere!
MattG

Postby Kenny Fury » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:01 pm

Fought the D.C. open today. Had a first round bye, won the semi final with a lapel choke from the back and lost in the finals to an animal who went on to win the open as well. Feels good to be back on the podium but I'd prefer to win. Judo mode this week for a tournament on Saturday.

Kenny Fury

Postby Heathenist » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:21 pm

Nice work Kenny!

Haven't had any issues with my shoulder so far since being back, which is promising, even though I'm still a little paranoid about it. Today I got a legit armbar on a much more advanced white belt (4 years and 3-4 stripes). Up until now I've only been able to submit people who have been training roughly the same amount of time or a little longer than me. I know it doesn't really count for much and it was honestly a bit of a fluke (ended up on his back in a scramble and transitioned to the armbar when he was able to get one of my hooks out), but it was a good boost in confidence because I've felt like I'd forgotten everything since taking 2 months off and rolling has been pretty brutal in terms of how much I've forgotten and my reaction times are just so slow.
Heathenist

Postby Kenny Fury » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:52 am

Good. That should show you as well that experience be darned, if you yank someone's arm the wrong way they tap. You can catch anyone.

My super homie and brother in arms and I just found cheap flights to ATL so it looks like I'll be in for the Atlanta Open
Kenny Fury

Postby Kenny Fury » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:26 pm

All registered for Atlanta Open with plane tickets bought. Im about 5lbs away from Middle Heavy, and just bought all new groceries and meal prepped today so hopefully I can make that!
Kenny Fury

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:52 pm

saw Kenny for the first time in years this weekend at DC Open, can confirm he has cute pinchable cheeks now.
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby Kenny Fury » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:03 am

Couple shots from the DC Open in my semi final match...

Getting ready to walk out..

Defensive stance. This dude TOWERED over me.

I took a switch stance and gave him the inside grip to bait the guard pull. Was hoping he'd try to pull DLR on my far side so I could jump it, but got yanked into his closed guard instead.

My friend Rick Slomba (AOJ Black Belt), who I began training with at Baltimore BJJ when I very first started a decade ago moved home and opened his own academy in Baltimore called Form Jiu Jitsu, these were from the opening night.

Kenny Fury

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Slick Romba.

a bunch of us are gonna make a trek up there for an open mat.
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby Kenny Fury » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:38 pm

Judo tournament was insanely fun. Took 4th in the open belt Masters division amongst a bunch of brown and black belts, and took 2nd in the novice division which was just white to 2nd degree brown. Nothing more satisfying than finally throwing someone and hearing the ref's "IPPON!"
Kenny Fury

Postby Kenny Fury » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:01 am

Also if anyone wants to see part of my Judo tournament, I put an ippon I scored from an uchi mata counter, and a wazari from a solid ura nage on my Instagram story. Its kind of bad quality because I was recording a computer screen, but my IG is Kennycrybaby if anyone cares to check it out. Unfortunately, I only got video from my Masters matches, and not the Adult ones, so unless my opponents put them up, I'll probably never see my massive* ura nage counter in the semi final, or my botched ura nage** in the final.

*probably only massive in my head and not that cool looking in practice.
**aka me picking up a bigger guy and falling straight to my back with him on top of me.
Kenny Fury

Postby Kenny Fury » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:55 am

Sitting at work watching the clock tick. Booking a hotel in Atlanta and a rental car today. 7 guys in the division, and some tough, roided out guys to boot.

Feeling good, and I'm finally down to Medium Heavy, so far with 1-2lbs to spare, and hopefully by Saturday it'll be 3-4lbs to spare. Feeling sharp though. Where is everyone at??
Kenny Fury

Postby xAJXDx » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:25 am

You have one of my old training partners Ryan in the bracket. He's pretty tough, got a real slick kimura grip game.
xAJXDx

Postby xAJXDx » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:33 am

My training is going good. I'm still teaching a morning no-gi class, but since school started the attendance has dropped drastically, so that's a bummer.

This summer I started focusing on chin-strap grips and guillotines; enough to where people picked up on it. I need to work on passing X guard/keeping stable. We worked a lot of X guard recently and now people are using it/in seeing I'm weak there.

My fingers hurt more now. Fucking getting older.
xAJXDx

Postby Kenny Fury » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:13 am

xAJXDx wrote:You have one of my old training partners Ryan in the bracket. He's pretty tough, got a real slick kimura grip game.

Good to know. I've definitely seen his name on a lot of IBJJF registration lists so I am looking forward to getting after it with a tough guy. At the last second it went from 4 to 7 guys, so now I have 3 to win instead of 2 for gold. :smt066 :smt066 :smt066
Kenny Fury

Postby Gnargoyle » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:17 pm

Have a local tournament coming up on Oct 1. Signed up for middle this time instead of light because 1) I definitely felt way too drained for the skill level I'm at right now and 2) I've barely been able to train the last month because work just got insanely busy, but I already pushed back the last time I signed up so I want to get out there and just get some more comp experience.
Gnargoyle

Postby sadistic magician » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:12 pm

I'm trying to do naga in October when I get back from Thailand. But, my back has been really bad lately and I'm getting it looked at Tuesday. I've just been doing technique and basically no live rolling. It's killing me but I also need to heal.
sadistic magician

Postby Hardline Mike » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:27 pm

Got eye gouged in training and apparently 80% of my cornea is scraped. Looks like I'm out for 2-3 weeks.
Hardline Mike

Postby Kenny Fury » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:49 am

Waking up at 187-88 for a 195lb division feels perfect. Took a half day at work and can't wait for it to be done so I can hurry up and fly out. Got a great bracket placement too.
Kenny Fury

Postby xAJXDx » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:57 am

Hell yeah Kenny. Good placement for sure. I checked what would be my bracket, super small this year. Typically its been larger since it started in the ATL. Everyone getting fat.
xAJXDx

Postby Kenny Fury » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Didn't fare so well and wish I could run it back. Ended up with third in a small division and didn't place in the Open. First match I felt alright. Buddy wanted to stand and I was all about it. I took an over the back grip to lead him into harai and he tried to throw me with my own throw- ura nage. He went to lift, I hooked his leg and spread out and let him just pull me on top of himself and stole the takedown. Lots and lots of near passes but he kept his composure well. Stumbled me once and stood back up and shot a double that I stuffed, and then followed up with shooting a single which is just what I wanted. Countered with harai and threw him. After awhile he swept me somehow, or maybe it was getting dicey and I sat, I can't remember, but I ended the match burning a minute off the clock in half guard and won it 4-2.

Second match was against the eventual winner. He tried to jump a triangle immediately at the same time I pulled guard and i went deep into half guard. He had great pressure and composure and held me there awhile. I swept him, came up, and he was trying to drag me before I could really establish a good top position so I conceded a sweep and rolled back under. 2-2, and with about 30 seconds left and being down an advantage from the double guard pull, I gave up the underhook and took his belt to try to overhead sweep him and he forced the knee pass. He forced me to turtle with like 2 seconds left. I either lost by 2 ads or a pass, not sure if they gave him the pass when I bellied out but at that point it didn't matter because I had to get something going.

In the Open, I drew the eventual winner first round. He pulled on me, threatened a sweep but took my back when I turned out and got the choke. He was quick and aggressive.

My training partner Adam B won 3 in a row for featherweight gold, and took out the lightweight and medium heavy champion in the open, losing a barnburner in the final to the guy that beat me by 2 penalties for talking to the ref who was fucking up the match.

Gianni won black belt featherweight and had a war with Horlando Monteiro in the black belt Open final where a last minute effort tied it 2-2 2-2ad and he was promptly screwed 2-1 on the ref decision. Ended the match on Horlando's back with a choke in, and they had the nerve to say Horlando "pushed the pace."

Ended up getting down to 186 though which was awesome from dieting alone. And that was with a nice dinner the night before. Felt great throughout the day. Atlanta's soul food has me considerably heavier right now as I enjoy the weekend before the diet starts again on Monday.

Here's some pics.

Kenny Fury

Postby final_justice » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:58 am

Looks like I'll only have one match this weekend at the local AZ tourney unless two other guys move to my division from light feather and Masters 1 who don't have anybody in their bracket. It's nuts how at this point in my journey as a purple belt feather it seems like nothing but full time athletes who sign up. Nervous/excited to get back in there after almost 2 years lol My wrestling still isn't where I want it to be but been getting more comfortable pulling guard in training from standing after avoiding it for a long time since my game is focused on top.
final_justice

Postby X-cement-filled-bottle-X » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:35 pm

welp, getting old sucks. first major injury I've ever had in Jiu Jitsu, wonky position during sparring led someone to fall onto the outside of my knee, looking like a little more than a partial MCL tear, its painful to the touch, and a bitch to move around on. quick visit to the doc says 4 weeks to limit swelling and hopefully start healing, if no progress, looks like I'll be getting my first cadaver piece maybe.
X-cement-filled-bottle-X

Postby Heathenist » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:54 pm

final_justice wrote:Looks like I'll only have one match this weekend at the local AZ tourney unless two other guys move to my division from light feather and Masters 1 who don't have anybody in their bracket. It's nuts how at this point in my journey as a purple belt feather it seems like nothing but full time athletes who sign up. Nervous/excited to get back in there after almost 2 years lol My wrestling still isn't where I want it to be but been getting more comfortable pulling guard in training from standing after avoiding it for a long time since my game is focused on top.

A bunch of people from my gym are competing, but I don't think we have any feather purples. I think the smallest purple (not counting the female purple) is probably light or middle. I was hoping I could make it up to spectate, but my mom is visiting and will be leaving that day so I won't be able to make it.
Heathenist

Postby final_justice » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Heathenist wrote:
final_justice wrote:Looks like I'll only have one match this weekend at the local AZ tourney unless two other guys move to my division from light feather and Masters 1 who don't have anybody in their bracket. It's nuts how at this point in my journey as a purple belt feather it seems like nothing but full time athletes who sign up. Nervous/excited to get back in there after almost 2 years lol My wrestling still isn't where I want it to be but been getting more comfortable pulling guard in training from standing after avoiding it for a long time since my game is focused on top.

A bunch of people from my gym are competing, but I don't think we have any feather purples. I think the smallest purple (not counting the female purple) is probably light or middle. I was hoping I could make it up to spectate, but my mom is visiting and will be leaving that day so I won't be able to make it.

Nah the only other person signed up in my division is from GD.
final_justice

Postby xNameHatex » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:14 pm

X-cement-filled-bottle-X wrote:welp, getting old sucks. first major injury I've ever had in Jiu Jitsu, wonky position during sparring led someone to fall onto the outside of my knee, looking like a little more than a partial MCL tear, its painful to the touch, and a bitch to move around on. quick visit to the doc says 4 weeks to limit swelling and hopefully start healing, if no progress, looks like I'll be getting my first cadaver piece maybe.

MCLs do a good job of healing themselves. Take the time off and strengthen the muscles around it in safe ways while it heals.
xNameHatex

Postby Heathenist » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:19 pm

final_justice wrote:
Heathenist wrote:

It's surprising there aren't more people competing in that division honestly. Feather is what? 155?
Heathenist

Postby final_justice » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Heathenist wrote:
final_justice wrote:
Heathenist wrote:

It's surprising there aren't more people competing in that division honestly. Feather is what? 155?

My thoughts exactly haha I have noticed though that each time I've been promoted the amount of competitors at feather has gotten a lot smaller. At white belt there would be like 16 of us. Then at blue there were maybe 8. Now I see that there's usually only 4 people at purple. But the skill level has increased dramatically for sure lol I don't see any hobbyists signing up at adult.
final_justice

Postby Heathenist » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:28 pm

final_justice wrote:
Heathenist wrote:
final_justice wrote:
Heathenist wrote:

My thoughts exactly haha I have noticed though that each time I've been promoted the amount of competitors at feather has gotten a lot smaller. At white belt there would be like 16 of us. Then at blue there were maybe 8. Now I see that there's usually only 4 people at purple. But the skill level has increased dramatically for sure lol I don't see any hobbyists signing up at adult.

Is purple belt where everyone starts eating horse meat and acai?
Heathenist

Postby xAJXDx » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:49 am

If so I've been fucking up. I've competed at lower than feather, but I've mainly competed at light feather.
xAJXDx

PreviousNext