Hiking/Camping/Outdoors Thread V. 2.0

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Howdoesitfeel » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:08 pm

scottxclean wrote:
Howdoesitfeel wrote:
scottxclean wrote:
Howdoesitfeel wrote:
xAJXDx wrote:There's a couple of us who post here and UL reddit. What's your current lighterpack look like?

https://lighterpack.com/r/3ct278

Still a work in progress. I don't know if I'll necessarily try to stay under 10lbs. I'm waiting on purchasing the clothing/pack/Sleeping pad because I'm still in Korea and won't be back in the states until January but the things that are listed are tentatively what I'll be getting. i want to wait until I'm back to see if I could go for the regular Thermarest as opposed to the long but I'm a side sleeper and am worried the regular will be too narrow. I also want to be able to try on the pack and make any adjustments necessary, so far the Ohm has been the most attractive for me. And I'll more than likely try to get some clothing from thrift stores. I havent done a lot of overnight hiking/camping trips other than lost maples in Austin when I was home in January(I see you're in Texas) and some other car camping. Have mainly done big day hikes (Mt. Fuji, 8 mile section of the Great Wall, other Asian mountains) so I think I'll want to keep my cook kit. It's been easy to get UL items since I didn't have a lot of gear to begin with. Ordered my EE quilt the other night and pretty stoked on that.

What's yours look like?

Not a bad list, the pack is the only big item that stands out to me that could be lighter. There's some small items that I could nit pick but I wont :smt040

Oh dude, by all means give me a shakedown if you see some areas I can tweak. I don't think I want to go with a frameless pack for my first Thru hike and don't think I want to drop the cash for a zpacks arc blast or something since it seems like cuben fiber wears down more quickly than other materials. Ideally I'll be able to use the same gear for a future PCT thru-hike. I am not going with a 1/8 torso pad though! haha Also, the tent has already been purchased so I'm not up for changing that either.

Side note and more petty than anything, I looked at the Appalachian Trail subreddit and I was amazed by the questions people were asking and how genuinely unprepared a lot of those posters are compared to the UL community.

At 7LBS you could easily move into a frameless pack, especially for the AT where you don't need a bear can and can resupply more often.

What stakes do you have and how many do you use?

A Klymit x pillow or big Sky dream Sleeper pillow are 1.7-1.9oz and cheap

Are you using the lid that came with the Toaks pot? You can go to the dollar store and get a disposable baking pan and make a lid from it and it weighs like less than a gram.

Just drop the soap now, I bet it becomes the fastest thing you dump when on the trail. Embrase the smell.

If you did move into a frameless pack, a Mountain Laurel Designs profit would be great for what you have. You would shed a pound also.

Also, I would never push an 1/8" pad on someone :D

I haven't bought the pillow yet and am still looking at all the options. I saw the klymit x and am interested in it, I know Joe Brewer uses one. As far as the pot goes I wasn't planning on using the lid, but now that I'm thinking about it I guess I should get something so I can conserve fuel to get the water to boil. I have the six moons design stakes, I think I need 6 total. I've been ordering gear each month as I get closer and am having it shipped to my parents house in Texas. I have to stay out of the US until like mid-january for tax reasons so my plan was to just go on as many trips/set up the tent in the backyard as much as I canin February until I have everything dialed in before I leave in March. Are you going to make any more videos? I know that there are tons of hiker youtubers already but I've still liked the fact that I can watch 15+ videos on a particular piece of gear to get different opinions, especially since I'm out of country and cant have hands on myself.
Howdoesitfeel

Postby Howdoesitfeel » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:09 pm

countscashaccurately wrote:
xAJXDx wrote:Image

Welp the scare was real. Gear closet heavily molded.

:smt009 :smt009 :smt009

Damn man, I'm sorry to hear that. I can't believe whats been going on in Houston.
Howdoesitfeel

Postby xAJXDx » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:22 pm

It's a real shame. The city is slowly becoming normal again. The burbs? Not so much.

I'll chime in on pillows topic. I had a Klymit X, I sleep many different positions and it works in all of them. My partner's father got me a S2S Aeros Premium for xmas, and that thing is incredible. So soft, so perfect. I have horrible sleeping issues so I make a few weight sacrifices. The pillow is definitely one of them. I do want to try Big Sky's pillow though, because I love their tent and it seems dreamy.
xAJXDx

Postby blackapache » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:25 am

The S2S Aeros is far and away the most comfortable pillow design albeit sorta heavy but with sleeping shit I'll take the weight ding.

On a related note I'm looking to upgrade from my janky Thermarest Prolite and torn between getting a Neoair Xlite on sale, (I've read reviews that it's not super comfortable/stable but it's the lightest) or S2S Comfort Plus which is heavy but supposed to be real comfortable.

Edit: another reservation on the Thermarest is the fact that they always pop up on eBay and forums which sorta says to me that people aren't satisfied with them ? Same reason I never bought an MLD pack.
blackapache

Postby xAJXDx » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:15 am

I prefer Exped pads overall. The Hyperlite UL is the same weight and warmth of the Xlite. Warmer (0.1R) and thicker (0.3") too. Oh and cheaper.
xAJXDx

Postby scottxclean » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:54 pm

All the comfort/noise reviews for the Xlite are older models. The new ones are fine, it's as comfortable as any other blow up. If you can fit on a women's model, they are lighter and have a higher R value. Their customer service is top fucking notch too, they hand those things out like candy if anything happens to it.
scottxclean

Postby scottxclean » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:38 pm

Lets see:

-My Wind River Range trip is now cancelled. Literally as of yesterday a weather front is moving in unexpectedly the time we are going to be there and its going to drop 4-8" of snow at town elevation and triple in the mountains. And travel is restricted to chain only tires.

That gives me 2 days to figure out a week long trip. So now we are going to Colorado and doing a few 1-2 night loops around the Indian Peaks Wilderness. One loop is the loop that Andrew Skurka just FKTed last month.

-I think my Pa'lante pack is causing me shoulder pain in my right shoulder. Never had problems with any other pack, nor have i strained it in every day life. I think it has to do with how close the straps are. They are 1.25" closer than my Kumo....I'm still going to let this week trip coming up be my final test for it but its not looking good. I did just buy a MLD Burn off a guy this morning, though.
scottxclean

Postby xAJXDx » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:42 pm

-My Lonestar Trail section I was going to do this weekend is cancelled since Harvey decided to fuck up the entire forests here. An entire national forest is closed. Fuck you Harvey.

-My Deschutes arrived. My MYOG bivy comes today/tomorrow unless Irma decided to fuck the USPS.

-I need to find a new trail before Friday.

EDIT: Annnnnnnnnnd they're spraying Naled like a motherfucker. RIP me.
Last edited by xAJXDx on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xAJXDx

Postby gold soundz » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Was supposed to camp this week near Crater Lake but had to cancel because you can't even see the damn lake due to smoke. I was hoping to do one more camping trip before snow hits but the entire northwest has been on fire for the past month so I give up. Had a pretty great summer hiking and camping though, we did:

-Mt. Hood, Oregon coast and the Gorge many times
-Mt. Jefferson/Detroit Lake
-Bend (Smith Rocks and Oregon Badlands)
-Mt. Rainier
-Southern Utah and Valley of Fire
-Redwoods
gold soundz

Postby I Am Justice » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:03 pm

anyone have gear lists posted up anywhere? looking to compare my current setup. slowly moving all of my stuff over to the UL realm and am always looking for suggestions.
I Am Justice

Postby xAJXDx » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:19 pm

Check the previous page homey.
xAJXDx

Postby countscashaccurately » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:41 pm

I always perceive the IPW as super busy. In my head, it's equivalent to RMNP. Bummer about the crazy weather but I'm looking forward to your trip report. I'm in full work mode. I did 41 hrs and it's only Wed. I still have 2 or 3 more days of nonsense. Still, I want one more 2-night trip, maybe with a 14er? We'll see.
countscashaccurately

Postby scottxclean » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:12 am

I Am Justice wrote:anyone have gear lists posted up anywhere? looking to compare my current setup. slowly moving all of my stuff over to the UL realm and am always looking for suggestions.

https://lighterpack.com/r/2wt7lw
scottxclean

Postby scottxclean » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:23 am

countscashaccurately wrote:I always perceive the IPW as super busy. In my head, it's equivalent to RMNP. Bummer about the crazy weather but I'm looking forward to your trip report. I'm in full work mode. I did 41 hrs and it's only Wed. I still have 2 or 3 more days of nonsense. Still, I want one more 2-night trip, maybe with a 14er? We'll see.

Yeah, I figure it'll be busy, we will be getting there on a Monday though, so hopefully that will help a little.
scottxclean

Postby xAJXDx » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:36 pm

Y'all ain't ready

12.5oz Deschutes
4.1oz custom bug bivy made by a dude on BPL

Need to get some toggles added to keep the mesh better off my face but it currently works enough for the weekend.
xAJXDx

Postby countscashaccurately » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:27 pm

Pretty dope. Is part of the bug bivy always suspended and then it zips up to the high point?
countscashaccurately

Postby xAJXDx » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:42 pm

Yes, there's a suspension for the knee area too. More detailed photos here https://imgur.com/a/yjPCC
xAJXDx

Postby scottxclean » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:34 am

Ok ok. Very nice. I still can't decide if I want a bivy or a S2S nano bug net for the MLD Cricket Tarp.
scottxclean

Postby xAJXDx » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:39 am

I don't how buggy IN is, but here, I wasn't about to take any chances. I thought about the S2S nano with a floor, but I worried about crawlers. I think the TiGoat bug bivy would be worth the 3oz weight penalty over the S2S if the bugs are bad.
xAJXDx

Postby scottxclean » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:40 am

My trip report copied from Reddit:

A week in Colorado with u/culture_cypher

Preface: For a couple months we had planned for our original trip to be a 75 mile loop in the Wind River Range, Wyoming. The exact time we were to arrive, snow was to arrive also. Local reports said that road travel was to be restricted to chain tires only and that town elevation was looking at 10 inches...aka us or our tiny borrowed Kia wasn’t going to make it there from Indianapolis.

Learning about the snow only a day and a half prior to leaving left us scrambling for a back-up. No, we hadn’t planned out a backup prior, why? Because my wife and I already had to bail on a similar Winds trip in August and I was dead-set on getting out there this time. So we checked the weather for surrounding areas of interests first and decided that Colorado looked ‘good enough’. Knowing some key areas we would want to go in Colorado we decided to just head there and figure it all out on the 20 hour drive. We landed on the decision to spend all of our time in the San Juans, but with no real idea where exactly we would go, just aimlessly driving, looking out the window and saying ‘well this area looks cool, lets go here/there.’

We did a mix of overnights and base camping, some entire days of off trail meandering around and doing popular day hikes in areas we were in. We experienced a blizzard/lightning storm our first night, another blizzard as soon as we summited one area, rain/sleet, wind that was so bad we could barely keep ourselves up and in the end, only had one perfect day of weather in which i go sunburnt. Temps ranged from 25-70F. After spending a day wandering around off trail and crossing a river multiple times I woke up the next morning to 20+F and my shoes and socks 100% frozen solid.

In the end, I would almost say I enjoyed the randomness of this trip to the planned out Winds trip we had to bail on. We went out there, got it done, saw and did bad ass shit and it went great.

Gear (for da nerds)

Mountain Laurel Designs ‘Burn’
-So, this pack was brand new, it was literally handed to me by the mail man as we were walking out the door to leave. I had originally planned on using my Pa’lante Simple but switched over to the Burn for the trip. Why? Well, because the shoulder straps on the Simple are not comfortable to me. They dig into the front of my shoulders and leave me very sore at the end of the day. The Burn isn’t a new pack to me, I owned one a couple years ago and knew that I liked it. For reference, the straps at the top neck area are spaced 1.25” farther apart on the Burn. I’m not faulting the Pa’lante in any way, it's a great pack and has features that I will miss but at the end of the day, how the pack feels and carries is more important. IMO, the Burn and Simple stack up as the best two packs in the class they are in, so you can’t go wrong with either.

Zpacks ‘Solplex
-Tried, tested, love it, the end.

Enlightened Equipment ‘Enigma 20’
-Fluffy AF, comfy AF, personally, I think the temp rating is right on with it. I don’t use it with the pad straps and I still sleep perfectly fine down to its rating. It currently smells like two skunks died inside of it though haha.

Discount Dance ‘Wind Pants’
-This is really the first time I’ve gotten to really use these since getting them a year ago. I wore these every day, almost all day long. I wore them over my shorts. They kept me the perfect temp all day long. I like that they are cinched up at the bottom so if I ever did get a little warm I could just pull them up to knee level and vent out a bit. They kept morning dew off of me and they held up when bushwacking off trail through some gnarly bushes all day that ended up snagging my Frogg Toggs but not the pants. $20 / 3oz. Great deal.

Melanzana ‘Micro Grid Hoodie’
-Tried, tested, love it, comfy AF.

BeFree filter.
-Just stop thinking about it, stop reading the 100000 threads between here and BPL about it and just buy the damn thing. Its the most no brainer piece of gear you can buy. Argue with me all day against it and I’ll throw down for it. To continue like a broken record, I have use the original bottle it came with, the new 1L, the Hydrapak ‘seeker’ line of bottles it's compatible with and have never had a problem with any of them.

Gear List: https://lighterpack.com/r/e9x6e2
Photos: https://imgur.com/a/DCpwS
scottxclean

Postby NALYD. » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:44 am

We ended up doing lakes of the clouds (thanks to the poster who made the recommendation) Sunday/Monday. Saturday the area got a ton of rain with the first snow up in the mountains. Sunday was great 65° and sunny in the parking lot. This was my first time at any sort of altitude and it didn't get to me too bad until about 11,000ft, but was manageable. Made it to the lakes in about 4 hours and set up camp around the second lake. Overnight had some snow/ice and we had a bear come into camp around midnight. The next day exploring we found a ton of bear droppings and trash around various other campsites, so it seems like there are a lot of stupid people giving bears easy food.

It was a good trip but being from the Midwest we felt every bit of the 2300ft elevation gain over the 5 miles.
NALYD.

Postby countscashaccurately » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:23 pm

Shots of the San Juans were dope. At least 2 of them, the ridgeline trail and the skree field with hiker felt crazy familiar. Finished a huge project early so I'm hoping to get out this weekend. We'll see what the weather does.
countscashaccurately

Postby blackapache » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:08 am

So I got an NeoAIr Xlite a few weeks back and basically discovered that it has a very slow leak. Like, it took almost three weeks of being left inflated to really lose most of its air. Should I be worried about that? I emailed Thermarest and they basically want me to send it back and pay $20 but that'll take forever and I can patch it myself if it's actually necessary.
blackapache

Postby xAJXDx » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:24 am

Does it deflate much over night? You can always fill a tub, submerge it, and look for bubbles to find the leak... but then it has risk of wetting the insulation/molding. Have you slept on it overnight?
xAJXDx

Postby scottxclean » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:19 pm

Wait, so you inflated it and left it inflated for 3 weeks and noticed it lost air? If so, thats normal depending on temperature fluctuation of where it was at.
scottxclean

Postby blackapache » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:32 pm

Yeah it went from totally firm to maybe like a 5th inflated. I need to actually sleep on it tonight and see if there's a difference in the morning because if not I feel like I'm probably good to go.
blackapache

Postby bricksandbones » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:11 pm

Went climbing at a rock gym for the first time today. My whole body is mush. That shit is no joke. Respect to anyone here who rock climbs.
bricksandbones

Postby Heathenist » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:04 pm

bricksandbones wrote:Went climbing at a rock gym for the first time today. My whole body is mush. That shit is no joke. Respect to anyone here who rock climbs.

hahaha the first time it seems so impossible because your hand/forearm strength is so shitty, but after doing it a bit it's actually not too bad on your body. Bouldering is another story though, that shit is always so hard on my body. Between the climbing style just being a lot more strength focused, more overhangs, and the constant falling, it'll always beat you up.
Heathenist

Postby countscashaccurately » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:48 pm

I just hated ripping the skin off my fingers. Swimming and climbing share a bunch of muscle groups, so the ache wasn't too bad. I have the worst natural form, though. Every route is a ladder, right?

Made a late afternoon run up to RMNP yesterday. Unintentionally stumbled upon the elk rut and all the elk rut traffic. Crazy how many camo hunter dudes have turned into wildlife photographers. It's cool, though. Ran into a moose family, including a big daddy bull moose. I did the Fern Lake and Cub Lake loop, which was wrecked 5 years ago by a winter backpacker fire that got out of control. One person can have way more impact than they ever anticipated.
countscashaccurately

Postby Heathenist » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:30 pm

countscashaccurately wrote:I just hated ripping the skin off my fingers. Swimming and climbing share a bunch of muscle groups, so the ache wasn't too bad. I have the worst natural form, though. Every route is a ladder, right?

Made a late afternoon run up to RMNP yesterday. Unintentionally stumbled upon the elk rut and all the elk rut traffic. Crazy how many camo hunter dudes have turned into wildlife photographers. It's cool, though. Ran into a moose family, including a big daddy bull moose. I did the Fern Lake and Cub Lake loop, which was wrecked 5 years ago by a winter backpacker fire that got out of control. One person can have way more impact than they ever anticipated.

That's how you build calluses though.
Heathenist

Postby I Am Justice » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:49 pm

Spoiler: show
scottxclean wrote:My trip report copied from Reddit:

Preface: For a couple months we had planned for our original trip to be a 75 mile loop in the Wind River Range, Wyoming. The exact time we were to arrive, snow was to arrive also. Local reports said that road travel was to be restricted to chain tires only and that town elevation was looking at 10 inches...aka us or our tiny borrowed Kia wasn’t going to make it there from Indianapolis.

Learning about the snow only a day and a half prior to leaving left us scrambling for a back-up. No, we hadn’t planned out a backup prior, why? Because my wife and I already had to bail on a similar Winds trip in August and I was dead-set on getting out there this time. So we checked the weather for surrounding areas of interests first and decided that Colorado looked ‘good enough’. Knowing some key areas we would want to go in Colorado we decided to just head there and figure it all out on the 20 hour drive. We landed on the decision to spend all of our time in the San Juans, but with no real idea where exactly we would go, just aimlessly driving, looking out the window and saying ‘well this area looks cool, lets go here/there.’

We did a mix of overnights and base camping, some entire days of off trail meandering around and doing popular day hikes in areas we were in. We experienced a blizzard/lightning storm our first night, another blizzard as soon as we summited one area, rain/sleet, wind that was so bad we could barely keep ourselves up and in the end, only had one perfect day of weather in which i go sunburnt. Temps ranged from 25-70F. After spending a day wandering around off trail and crossing a river multiple times I woke up the next morning to 20+F and my shoes and socks 100% frozen solid.

In the end, I would almost say I enjoyed the randomness of this trip to the planned out Winds trip we had to bail on. We went out there, got it done, saw and did bad ass shit and it went great.

Gear (for da nerds)

-So, this pack was brand new, it was literally handed to me by the mail man as we were walking out the door to leave. I had originally planned on using my Pa’lante Simple but switched over to the Burn for the trip. Why? Well, because the shoulder straps on the Simple are not comfortable to me. They dig into the front of my shoulders and leave me very sore at the end of the day. The Burn isn’t a new pack to me, I owned one a couple years ago and knew that I liked it. For reference, the straps at the top neck area are spaced 1.25” farther apart on the Burn. I’m not faulting the Pa’lante in any way, it's a great pack and has features that I will miss but at the end of the day, how the pack feels and carries is more important. IMO, the Burn and Simple stack up as the best two packs in the class they are in, so you can’t go wrong with either.

Zpacks ‘Solplex

-Fluffy AF, comfy AF, personally, I think the temp rating is right on with it. I don’t use it with the pad straps and I still sleep perfectly fine down to its rating. It currently smells like two skunks died inside of it though haha.

-This is really the first time I’ve gotten to really use these since getting them a year ago. I wore these every day, almost all day long. I wore them over my shorts. They kept me the perfect temp all day long. I like that they are cinched up at the bottom so if I ever did get a little warm I could just pull them up to knee level and vent out a bit. They kept morning dew off of me and they held up when bushwacking off trail through some gnarly bushes all day that ended up snagging my Frogg Toggs but not the pants. $20 / 3oz. Great deal.

BeFree filter.
-Just stop thinking about it, stop reading the 100000 threads between here and BPL about it and just buy the damn thing. Its the most no brainer piece of gear you can buy. Argue with me all day against it and I’ll throw down for it. To continue like a broken record, I have use the original bottle it came with, the new 1L, the Hydrapak ‘seeker’ line of bottles it's compatible with and have never had a problem with any of them.

saw you post this on the UL reddit. pics look awesome. what's the green tent? is that a SMD lunar solo? i know it's not yours, but any feedback from your friend? thinking of grabbing one.
I Am Justice

Postby countscashaccurately » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Heathenist wrote:
countscashaccurately wrote:I just hated ripping the skin off my fingers. Swimming and climbing share a bunch of muscle groups, so the ache wasn't too bad. I have the worst natural form, though. Every route is a ladder, right?

That's how you build calluses though.

Is it weird that I hate the feel of calluses on my own hands? Also, swimming in chlorine does a really good job of softening them up so they rub away. It was a vicious cycle.

Most of my housemates were climbers for years. I learned bowstringing is gnarly and hand strengthening tools are cool.
countscashaccurately

Postby scottxclean » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:14 am

I Am Justice wrote:

Gear (for da nerds)

Zpacks ‘Solplex

BeFree filter.

saw you post this on the UL reddit. pics look awesome. what's the green tent? is that a SMD lunar solo? i know it's not yours, but any feedback from your friend? thinking of grabbing one.

It is a Lunar Solo and it used to be mine, I sold it to him.

In short, if you are looking at an SMD shelter, get the Trekker instead. If I could go back and pick between the two, I would go that route.
scottxclean

Postby scottxclean » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:16 am

Got a little time off this coming weekend for a solo trip. Think I'm gonna do from Damascus, Va on the AT to Grayson Highlands, do the Graysons loop and back down the AT. 63 miles.
scottxclean

Postby I Am Justice » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:59 pm

scottxclean wrote:
I Am Justice wrote:

Gear (for da nerds)

Zpacks ‘Solplex

BeFree filter.

In short, if you are looking at an SMD shelter, get the Trekker instead. If I could go back and pick between the two, I would go that route.

may i ask why? the solo is 2 oz lighter, cheaper, and uses less poles. is it more of a construction/shape issue?
I Am Justice

Postby scottxclean » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:58 pm

I Am Justice wrote:
scottxclean wrote:
I Am Justice wrote:

Gear (for da nerds)

Zpacks ‘Solplex

BeFree filter.

may i ask why? the solo is 2 oz lighter, cheaper, and uses less poles. is it more of a construction/shape issue?

the solo does have everything you mentioned going for it but in terms of ventilation and set up, thats where the solo falls short. Its a pain in the ass to get a good or near perfect pitch with it. There's a quote 'you'll get 1 perfect pitch with a Lunar Solo, then you'll never again remember how you did it or achieve it'.

The trekker is a double wall hybrid. The fact you can roll up the doors and have almost full 360 views/ventilation on nights with no rain is primo, IMO.
scottxclean

Postby Grand Belial » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:45 pm

I bought a smaller 2 person tent, and I want to take my chocolate lab camping with me on a solo trip. I've never gone camping solo, and as far as I can tell, most places aren't the most dog friendly when it comes to hiking trails and such (no dogs allowed on trails inside national parks, I think). Anyone who loves camping/hiking with their fur BAYBAYYYYYY have any advice for me? I was thinking of taking her up to the Sierra's, maybe near Lee Vining, and finding a place to camp and also some water she can frolic around in.
Grand Belial

Postby I Am Justice » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:27 pm

scottxclean wrote:
I Am Justice wrote:
scottxclean wrote:
I Am Justice wrote:

Gear (for da nerds)

Zpacks ‘Solplex

BeFree filter.

the solo does have everything you mentioned going for it but in terms of ventilation and set up, thats where the solo falls short. Its a pain in the ass to get a good or near perfect pitch with it. There's a quote 'you'll get 1 perfect pitch with a Lunar Solo, then you'll never again remember how you did it or achieve it'.

The trekker is a double wall hybrid. The fact you can roll up the doors and have almost full 360 views/ventilation on nights with no rain is primo, IMO.

noted. i'm looking to switch over from my BA fly creek ul1 at some point in the next few months and i'll keep that in mind.
I Am Justice

Postby macho insecurity » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:35 pm

Grand Belial wrote:I bought a smaller 2 person tent, and I want to take my chocolate lab camping with me on a solo trip. I've never gone camping solo, and as far as I can tell, most places aren't the most dog friendly when it comes to hiking trails and such (no dogs allowed on trails inside national parks, I think). Anyone who loves camping/hiking with their fur BAYBAYYYYYY have any advice for me? I was thinking of taking her up to the Sierra's, maybe near Lee Vining, and finding a place to camp and also some water she can frolic around in.

So cute
macho insecurity
sucked his dad's dick for free

Postby countscashaccurately » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:55 pm

Grand Belial wrote:I bought a smaller 2 person tent, and I want to take my chocolate lab camping with me on a solo trip. I've never gone camping solo, and as far as I can tell, most places aren't the most dog friendly when it comes to hiking trails and such (no dogs allowed on trails inside national parks, I think). Anyone who loves camping/hiking with their fur BAYBAYYYYYY have any advice for me? I was thinking of taking her up to the Sierra's, maybe near Lee Vining, and finding a place to camp and also some water she can frolic around in.

Basically, you want National Forests, not national parks. As long as it's not a developed recreation area or interpretative trail, your dog can be off leash.

The Cleveland - outside of Mt. Laguna recreation area.
San Bernie - dogs on 6 ft leashes.
The Sierra has weird dispersed camping. Their "dispersed" sites sound like regular campsites - like they have pit toilets. Definitely seems doable.
The Stanislaus - wide open? Shitty that it's burning down.
countscashaccurately

Postby scottxclean » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:32 pm

Back from my weekend trip.

OG plan was 63 miles over 2.5 days, ended up doing 57 miles in 2 days, 23.7 the first, 33.3 the second. My feet hurt.

Was a good time. Perfect weather both days. I either have huge respect for SOBO AT hikers or think they are dumb AF because having to step through roots, rocks and boulders completely covered by leaves was a bitch. I couldn't imagine doing that for an entire thru hike.
scottxclean

Postby countscashaccurately » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:27 pm

33? Better you than me. I like 10, maybe 15. After that, I just feel like I'm grinding.

Fucked up this week, but may turn it into a Friday off. Was looking at Emerald Lake but 40 with rain/snow and 20 overnight sounds like shit.

May hit Lake of the Clouds myself. Sky Pond has better weather but is going to require microspikes.
countscashaccurately

Postby scottxclean » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:41 am

countscashaccurately wrote:33? Better you than me. I like 10, maybe 15. After that, I just feel like I'm grinding.

Fucked up this week, but may turn it into a Friday off. Was looking at Emerald Lake but 40 with rain/snow and 20 overnight sounds like shit.

May hit Lake of the Clouds myself. Sky Pond has better weather but is going to require microspikes.

It was the largest day I've done, originally I was shooting for 40 but it was dark and raining and I ended up hitching back to my car when I came to the road I was parked on, surprisingly enough, the very first car picked me up :smt038
scottxclean

Postby I Am Justice » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:06 am

scottxclean wrote:
countscashaccurately wrote:33? Better you than me. I like 10, maybe 15. After that, I just feel like I'm grinding.

It was the largest day I've done, originally I was shooting for 40 but it was dark and raining and I ended up hitching back to my car when I came to the road I was parked on, surprisingly enough, the very first car picked me up :smt038

it's crazy how quickly you can get picked up in mountain towns. i've picked up people in the catskills and got picked up when i wrenched my knee on a trail and wanted to get back to my car.
I Am Justice

Postby bricksandbones » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:46 am

Anyone here ever been to NZ?
bricksandbones

Postby scottxclean » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:31 pm

Sean, the mod over a r/ultralight, who was in the OG lineup for The Black Dahlia Murder did a video question for John Z about the correlation of Ultralight and Punk, John interviewed Carrot Quinn and Lint about it:

scottxclean

Postby JonBenet Ramsey » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:25 pm

Has anyone here ever driven the Americas or know anyone who has? My new goal/obsession after having spent a couple of months down in South America. I would like to bring my dog though and that kind of makes me nervous...
JonBenet Ramsey

Postby scottxclean » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:43 am

JonBenet Ramsey wrote:Has anyone here ever driven the Americas or know anyone who has? My new goal/obsession after having spent a couple of months down in South America. I would like to bring my dog though and that kind of makes me nervous...

Like, drive across America?
scottxclean

Postby JonBenet Ramsey » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:00 am

scottxclean wrote:
JonBenet Ramsey wrote:Has anyone here ever driven the Americas or know anyone who has? My new goal/obsession after having spent a couple of months down in South America. I would like to bring my dog though and that kind of makes me nervous...

Like, drive across America?

No, like drive through "the americas". Down north america, through central america, and south america.
JonBenet Ramsey

Postby theXdXman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:35 pm

what up, fools. i copped a gregory baltoro 75 recently. can't wait to backpack next season.
theXdXman

PreviousNext