Hiking/Camping/Outdoors Thread V. 2.0

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby blackapache » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:51 pm

:smt002 Size medium, grey, made in 2016 with their current pro sil nylon. It's not the "Pro" version with the fancier hood though just to be clear.
blackapache

Postby theXdXman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:39 am

hey, everyone, i'm starting to get prepared for my 3 week trip in california. i'll be car camping will traveling. i'm flying from ny, putting everything i need into a goalie bag, so i can bring a good amount of stuff, but i can't overdue it.

i'm trying to figure out how many pairs of socks to bring. i was thinking i need at least 3 pairs of hiking socks, and then maybe a few pair of regular socks. do you think that would be sufficient?
theXdXman

Postby scottxclean » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:34 pm

If it was me I'd bring 1 pair of hiking socks but that depends on what kind you have.
scottxclean

Postby countscashaccurately » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:23 pm

I had only 1 hiking pair and I really wanted two. I washed mine every night and they didn't always dry completely.
countscashaccurately

Postby NALYD. » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:35 am

Does anyone have any outdoors/hiking/backpacking podcast recommendations?
NALYD.

Postby scottxclean » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:49 pm

NALYD. wrote:Does anyone have any outdoors/hiking/backpacking podcast recommendations?

The Routes is my favorite, its fairly new and theres only two episodes right now but they are great.

The First 40 Miles is OK if you can make it past the over the top cheesiness

The Trail Show is good but its like 99% of them talking about beer.
scottxclean

Postby Heathenist » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:59 pm

Am I kinda dumb for digging this? It's a solid idea, even though I don't think it would work for me when camping with my dogs, which is most of the camping I do. $220 is a great deal too given that it's not a piece of shit.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rhin ... g-travel#/
Heathenist

Postby scottxclean » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:28 pm

its pretty gimmicky and i would never take it backpacking but i guess it would be fine car camping?

the tent is also an exact rip off of an actual great tent made by Tarptent in the US: https://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html
scottxclean

Postby c_floyd II » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:51 pm

Not into it.

Hoping to get out on the Sawyer River tonight and post up by the water
c_floyd II

Postby theXdXman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:11 am

i copped two pair of darn tough socks, and i'm just gonna bring another pair or two of regular socks. i also copped a pair of salomon quest 4d 2 gtx. holy shit are they awesome boots.

got married recently, and got a bunch of really sweet camping and backpacking gear. next purchase will most likely be a gregory baltoro 75. super fucking excited for september 11th to come, so i can be in yosemite.
theXdXman

Postby macho insecurity » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:31 am

Darn Tough is a great company.
macho insecurity
sucked his dad's dick for free

Postby Heathenist » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:09 pm

I have a few pair of Darn Tough's and really like them. They have held up much better than my smartwool socks, but to be fair those are the ultrathin versions and aren't really hiking socks. I do wish DT had an ultrathin version though.
Heathenist

Postby scottxclean » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm a dress sock convert. The hype is real. Walmart 3 pack of 99% nylon dress socks for $5. Best socks I've ever hiked in.
scottxclean

Postby killedbydeath » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Heathenist wrote:I have a few pair of Darn Tough's and really like them. They have held up much better than my smartwool socks, but to be fair those are the ultrathin versions and aren't really hiking socks. I do wish DT had an ultrathin version though.

smartwool makes my feet sweat and they stay wet. Isn't that exactly what they are supposed to avoid?
killedbydeath
good 'ol pancake tits

Postby Chute Boxe » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:57 pm

Anyone in here kayak?
Chute Boxe

Postby scottxclean » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:29 am

killedbydeath wrote:
Heathenist wrote:I have a few pair of Darn Tough's and really like them. They have held up much better than my smartwool socks, but to be fair those are the ultrathin versions and aren't really hiking socks. I do wish DT had an ultrathin version though.

smartwool makes my feet sweat and they stay wet. Isn't that exactly what they are supposed to avoid?

wool has its place, mostly in lower temps and at times when you are stationary. if you have perpetual wet and sweaty feet try some super thin liner socks. less material = less water trapped. like i posted above, 99% nylon dress socks are a secret to ultra-runners and work even better for hiking. when i do stream crossings my socks dry within about 15 minutes as opposed to an hour+ (if ever) with Darn Toughs.
scottxclean

Postby c_floyd II » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:25 am

Chute Boxe wrote:Anyone in here kayak?

Yes, only flat water though
c_floyd II

Postby countscashaccurately » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:30 am

Ime, wool also smells better even when sweaty. I cut a really thin wool sweater into a t-shirt that I wore hiking a lot. It always smelled better than my drywick camp shirts. #rip #margaretlakeatemyshirt

That trick about not using fabric softeners on athletic gear is doubly true for thin wool.
countscashaccurately

Postby countscashaccurately » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:33 am

Chute Boxe wrote:Anyone in here kayak?

Duckies are dreamy and I'll bounce around any day. Hard no on hard-sided river stuff.
countscashaccurately

Postby killedbydeath » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:10 pm

scottxclean wrote:
killedbydeath wrote:

wool has its place, mostly in lower temps and at times when you are stationary. if you have perpetual wet and sweaty feet try some super thin liner socks. less material = less water trapped. like i posted above, 99% nylon dress socks are a secret to ultra-runners and work even better for hiking. when i do stream crossings my socks dry within about 15 minutes as opposed to an hour+ (if ever) with Darn Toughs.

what does the 'smart' refer to? I always thought that they weren't supposed to trap moisture.
killedbydeath
good 'ol pancake tits

Postby scottxclean » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:16 am

killedbydeath wrote:
scottxclean wrote:
killedbydeath wrote:

what does the 'smart' refer to? I always thought that they weren't supposed to trap moisture.

too many variables. even though wool and synthetics are supposed to wick away moisture if you shoes aren't breathable, that moisture is going to stay trapped.
scottxclean

Postby scottxclean » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:17 am

Anyone done the Foothills Trail in South Carolina? Looking for an 80 or so mile trail to do in November around the east and this looks great.
scottxclean

Postby xAJXDx » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:21 am

I grew up in SC and did little day hikes on those. What do you need to know?
xAJXDx

Postby theXdXman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:40 am

any hikes you'd recommend for Yosemite, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon National Parks, as well as Big Sur?
theXdXman

Postby scottxclean » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:02 am

theXdXman wrote:any hikes you'd recommend for Yosemite, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon National Parks, as well as Big Sur?

Onion Valley to Kearsarge Pass. Go all the way up until you hit the PCT. it's one of the easiest ways to get into the heart of the Sierras.
scottxclean

Postby killedbydeath » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:30 am

Heathenist wrote:Am I kinda dumb for digging this? It's a solid idea, even though I don't think it would work for me when camping with my dogs, which is most of the camping I do. $220 is a great deal too given that it's not a piece of shit.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rhin ... g-travel#/

Id file this under poler reminiscent festival camp gear.
killedbydeath
good 'ol pancake tits

Postby theXdXman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:48 am

scottxclean wrote:
theXdXman wrote:any hikes you'd recommend for Yosemite, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon National Parks, as well as Big Sur?

Onion Valley to Kearsarge Pass. Go all the way up until you hit the PCT. it's one of the easiest ways to get into the heart of the Sierras.

already on the list thanks to you, brother.
theXdXman

Postby scottxclean » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:21 pm

theXdXman wrote:
scottxclean wrote:

If you're gonna be on the eastern side of the Sierras it's with going to Inyo National Forest. The trails leading out of Cottonwood camp area are primo.

Outside of all the well known, touristy trails in the NPs, Mono Pass in Yosemite is a great day hike
scottxclean

Postby c_floyd II » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:55 pm

Have you guys ever washed your tent before? Mine is 10 years old and the funk is real. Same with my Osprey bag, do I just retire this shit? So many memories and tbh it's in great shape just needs some TLC.
c_floyd II

Postby scottxclean » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:13 pm

funboi wrote:Have you guys ever washed your tent before? Mine is 10 years old and the funk is real. Same with my Osprey bag, do I just retire this shit? So many memories and tbh it's in great shape just needs some TLC.

Washed my car camping tent for the first time like a month ago. The water was black. After I posted a photo of it I was told by multiple people that it's a terrible idea to do that in a bathtub because if it has any silicone/DWR finish it will screw your pluming up. So clean it, but don't do that haha
scottxclean

Postby countscashaccurately » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:14 pm

I take my down bag to the laundromat. Wash and let it dry. It's from my parents and is old school REI gear so I'm betting your 10 yrs. old tent will be fine. For my tent, I use a footprint. When I get home, I hose my tent off too. If it's really bad, I use Dr. Bonner's and a sponge to destink. I hang it to dry near my lindens and usually let it hang for a few days in each direction.
countscashaccurately

Postby c_floyd II » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:33 pm

I was told lemon juice cut with water in a spray bottle but I think I might just scrub it with dr bronners
c_floyd II

Postby theXdXman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:30 am

scottxclean wrote:
theXdXman wrote:
scottxclean wrote:

If you're gonna be on the eastern side of the Sierras it's with going to Inyo National Forest. The trails leading out of Cottonwood camp area are primo.

Outside of all the well known, touristy trails in the NPs, Mono Pass in Yosemite is a great day hike

nice. i had that on the list of possible hikes. thanks!
theXdXman

Postby NALYD. » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:38 am

Anyone here with hike recommendations in the Colorado Springs area? There's a ton of options so looking to narrow it down. Going out there with my brother in the end of September for a long weekend. We will be most likely car camping, but would be open to doing an out and back overnight.
NALYD.

Postby scottxclean » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:50 pm

elevated my nerd level and made a gear load out video: https://youtu.be/xuq8hcEcgKU
scottxclean

Postby countscashaccurately » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:16 pm

NALYD. wrote:Anyone here with hike recommendations in the Colorado Springs area? There's a ton of options so looking to narrow it down. Going out there with my brother in the end of September for a long weekend. We will be most likely car camping, but would be open to doing an out and back overnight.

Where are you thinking? I'd throw out Mueller State Park for car camping and Lakes of the Clouds for a backpack. It's out of Westclif, which is an hour and a half a way. You get to drive through the Hardscrabble area, though, which is cool. 4 miles and 2.2K elevation.
countscashaccurately

Postby NALYD. » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:59 am

countscashaccurately wrote:
NALYD. wrote:Anyone here with hike recommendations in the Colorado Springs area? There's a ton of options so looking to narrow it down. Going out there with my brother in the end of September for a long weekend. We will be most likely car camping, but would be open to doing an out and back overnight.

Where are you thinking? I'd throw out Mueller State Park for car camping and Lakes of the Clouds for a backpack. It's out of Westclif, which is an hour and a half a way. You get to drive through the Hardscrabble area, though, which is cool. 4 miles and 2.2K elevation.

Definitely adding lakes of the clouds to the list, thanks for the suggestion. I have been looking into maybe refrigerator gulch in lost creek wilderness. Car camping spot has been up in the air, haven't really looked into it too much yet.
NALYD.

Postby Howdoesitfeel » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:27 am

Starting a Northbound hike of the Appalachian Trail in March. Really excited about it. Ultralight reddit sub thread has been a great resource for anyone looking to reduce their base weight and has not already looked at it. Welcoming any tips, haven't scrolled through this thread much to see who else has already done it/planning on doing it.
Howdoesitfeel

Postby xAJXDx » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:57 pm

There's a couple of us who post here and UL reddit. What's your current lighterpack look like?
xAJXDx

Postby Howdoesitfeel » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:54 pm

xAJXDx wrote:There's a couple of us who post here and UL reddit. What's your current lighterpack look like?

https://lighterpack.com/r/3ct278

Still a work in progress. I don't know if I'll necessarily try to stay under 10lbs. I'm waiting on purchasing the clothing/pack/Sleeping pad because I'm still in Korea and won't be back in the states until January but the things that are listed are tentatively what I'll be getting. i want to wait until I'm back to see if I could go for the regular Thermarest as opposed to the long but I'm a side sleeper and am worried the regular will be too narrow. I also want to be able to try on the pack and make any adjustments necessary, so far the Ohm has been the most attractive for me. And I'll more than likely try to get some clothing from thrift stores. I havent done a lot of overnight hiking/camping trips other than lost maples in Austin when I was home in January(I see you're in Texas) and some other car camping. Have mainly done big day hikes (Mt. Fuji, 8 mile section of the Great Wall, other Asian mountains) so I think I'll want to keep my cook kit. It's been easy to get UL items since I didn't have a lot of gear to begin with. Ordered my EE quilt the other night and pretty stoked on that.

What's yours look like?
Howdoesitfeel

Postby Howdoesitfeel » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:56 pm

scottxclean wrote:elevated my nerd level and made a gear load out video: https://youtu.be/xuq8hcEcgKU

I saw this on the UL reddit and noticed the Decendents tattoo but figured you were just a hiker into punk. Didn't know you posted here! Good video!
Howdoesitfeel

Postby xAJXDx » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:26 pm

Howdoesitfeel wrote:
xAJXDx wrote:There's a couple of us who post here and UL reddit. What's your current lighterpack look like?

What's yours look like?

Typically hike with my partner so double; https://lighterpack.com/r/bxqosa and https://lighterpack.com/r/9dfa65

But I'm about to start going more solo; the quilt is still in the air (haven't finalized the rest); https://lighterpack.com/r/2q03lq

I'm in Houston, but have been out to LM and lots of the Hill Country. I love it here. Minus you know, hurricane Harvey.

I'm a side sleeper too, a normal pad works for me but I'm thin. Pack looks great. I'd say look for a lighter weight pack would be the only thing that stands out to me. But I understand your reason for wanting the Ohm. New quilts a fun for sure, I'm still figuring out which I want for my solo.
xAJXDx

Postby scottxclean » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:15 am

Mine, even though it's in the video: https://lighterpack.com/r/2wt7lw

Do you actually use the EE booties? I bought a pair last Black Friday and haven't used them once, I should probably sell them.

Also, do you trust those RL carbon stakes? I have a feeling the new zpacks stakes i got aren't going to hold up for shit and i'm always eyeing the RL stakes.
scottxclean

Postby scottxclean » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:07 am

Howdoesitfeel wrote:

Still a work in progress. I don't know if I'll necessarily try to stay under 10lbs. I'm waiting on purchasing the clothing/pack/Sleeping pad because I'm still in Korea and won't be back in the states until January but the things that are listed are tentatively what I'll be getting. i want to wait until I'm back to see if I could go for the regular Thermarest as opposed to the long but I'm a side sleeper and am worried the regular will be too narrow. I also want to be able to try on the pack and make any adjustments necessary, so far the Ohm has been the most attractive for me. And I'll more than likely try to get some clothing from thrift stores. I havent done a lot of overnight hiking/camping trips other than lost maples in Austin when I was home in January(I see you're in Texas) and some other car camping. Have mainly done big day hikes (Mt. Fuji, 8 mile section of the Great Wall, other Asian mountains) so I think I'll want to keep my cook kit. It's been easy to get UL items since I didn't have a lot of gear to begin with. Ordered my EE quilt the other night and pretty stoked on that.

What's yours look like?

Not a bad list, the pack is the only big item that stands out to me that could be lighter. There's some small items that I could nit pick but I wont :smt040
scottxclean

Postby xAJXDx » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:49 am

scottxclean wrote:Mine, even though it's in the video: https://lighterpack.com/r/2wt7lw

Do you actually use the EE booties? I bought a pair last Black Friday and haven't used them once, I should probably sell them.

Also, do you trust those RL carbon stakes? I have a feeling the new zpacks stakes i got aren't going to hold up for shit and i'm always eyeing the RL stakes.

Of my entire body, my feet are the only thing that get cold. I can sweat up top, with cold toes.

I'm a huge fan of the RL stakes, and I have the old version. They held up to some serious winds when I was in CO. They don't feel dinky at all. From looks alone, the new RL one look even better.
xAJXDx

Postby Howdoesitfeel » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:36 am

scottxclean wrote:
Howdoesitfeel wrote:

What's yours look like?

Not a bad list, the pack is the only big item that stands out to me that could be lighter. There's some small items that I could nit pick but I wont :smt040

Oh dude, by all means give me a shakedown if you see some areas I can tweak. I don't think I want to go with a frameless pack for my first Thru hike and don't think I want to drop the cash for a zpacks arc blast or something since it seems like cuben fiber wears down more quickly than other materials. Ideally I'll be able to use the same gear for a future PCT thru-hike. I am not going with a 1/8 torso pad though! haha Also, the tent has already been purchased so I'm not up for changing that either.

Side note and more petty than anything, I looked at the Appalachian Trail subreddit and I was amazed by the questions people were asking and how genuinely unprepared a lot of those posters are compared to the UL community.
Howdoesitfeel

Postby xAJXDx » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:18 am

I think a lot of people watched that Reese Witherspoon movie or Into the Wild and decide that thru-hiking is going to change their life, make them whole, etc., even though they've never slept outside before. I remember seeing a couple on AT Reddit saying they were 10 days into a thru-hike, already thinking of quitting...

Don't let Scott bully you into getting a 1/8" pad. He's a masochist. I can't go thinner than 2", years of hockey as a kid, and a decade of judo and jiu-jitsu as an adult, my hips hurt. I like my almost 3" Expeds.

Had a scare last night, after Harvey we've started to get mold. My gear closet was affected. I think everything I good though. Doing a thorough clean out today.
xAJXDx

Postby xAJXDx » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:07 am

Welp the scare was real. Gear closet heavily molded.
xAJXDx

Postby scottxclean » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:13 pm

Howdoesitfeel wrote:
scottxclean wrote:
Howdoesitfeel wrote:

What's yours look like?

Oh dude, by all means give me a shakedown if you see some areas I can tweak. I don't think I want to go with a frameless pack for my first Thru hike and don't think I want to drop the cash for a zpacks arc blast or something since it seems like cuben fiber wears down more quickly than other materials. Ideally I'll be able to use the same gear for a future PCT thru-hike. I am not going with a 1/8 torso pad though! haha Also, the tent has already been purchased so I'm not up for changing that either.

Side note and more petty than anything, I looked at the Appalachian Trail subreddit and I was amazed by the questions people were asking and how genuinely unprepared a lot of those posters are compared to the UL community.

At 7LBS you could easily move into a frameless pack, especially for the AT where you don't need a bear can and can resupply more often.

What stakes do you have and how many do you use?

A Klymit x pillow or big Sky dream Sleeper pillow are 1.7-1.9oz and cheap

Are you using the lid that came with the Toaks pot? You can go to the dollar store and get a disposable baking pan and make a lid from it and it weighs like less than a gram.

Just drop the soap now, I bet it becomes the fastest thing you dump when on the trail. Embrase the smell.

If you did move into a frameless pack, a Mountain Laurel Designs profit would be great for what you have. You would shed a pound also.

Also, I would never push an 1/8" pad on someone :D
Last edited by scottxclean on Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scottxclean

Postby countscashaccurately » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:30 pm

xAJXDx wrote:Image

Welp the scare was real. Gear closet heavily molded.

:smt009 :smt009 :smt009
countscashaccurately

PreviousNext