Hiking/Camping/Outdoors Thread V. 2.0

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby anchoraroundmyfeet » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:00 am

figured i'd start a new one since the last one got deleted. anyone go on any cool outings recently? getting ready to go out for a day hike since today is slightly warm/nice. should come back with some really nice pictures. ill be going here: http://www.hikewnc.info/besthikes/black-balsam/sam-knob

also, is everyone mostly a 3 season hiker? ive never been out in the real winter, but ive been entertaining the idea of trying to get some gear so i could venture out once it snows.

anchoraroundmyfeet

Postby anchoraroundmyfeet » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:05 am

also thinking about picking this up today since i accidentally smashed my last one at a campsite.

[resize]http://i.imgur.com/FKkbJ.jpg,580[/resize]
anchoraroundmyfeet

Postby ToddParker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:19 am

I dont have much experience with real deal hiking /camping/outdoorsman shit but i want to get into it.
ToddParker

Postby Giant Mechanical Brain » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:20 am

My friends and I started to get into caving. Shit is way fun.
Giant Mechanical Brain

Postby Boner In Sweatpants » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:23 am

anchoraroundmyfeet wrote:also thinking about picking this up today since i accidentally smashed my last one at a campsite.

[resize]http://i.imgur.com/FKkbJ.jpg,200[/resize]

i need to find a decent headlamp
Boner In Sweatpants
Eisley Superfan

Postby Boner In Sweatpants » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:23 am

Giant Mechanical Brain wrote:My friends and I started to get into caving. Shit is way fun.

sounds sexual.

i want in!
Boner In Sweatpants
Eisley Superfan

Postby pali gap » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:34 am

Postingforlater
pali gap

Postby Giant Mechanical Brain » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:59 pm

Boner In Sweatpants wrote:
Giant Mechanical Brain wrote:My friends and I started to get into caving. Shit is way fun.

sounds sexual.

i want in!

Spelunk my butthole
Giant Mechanical Brain

Postby plagues » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:45 pm

Curious, how tall are you? I went caving for the first time in the summer and I felt like I had to be pushing the upper limits of what was safe for where we were. I'm 6' 3", and pretty broad shouldered. My friends (2 girls and a guy who's about a half foot shorter than me) didn't have nearly the issues I did. It was fun, but being somewhat claustrophobic, it made me really nervous about caving in the future.
plagues

Postby johnfrancis » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:46 pm

ill be posting
johnfrancis

Postby gunstreetgirl » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:58 pm

ToddParker wrote:I dont have much experience with real deal hiking /camping/outdoorsman shit but i want to get into it.
gunstreetgirl

Postby chrisND666 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:01 pm

i have the weirdest boner right now
chrisND666

Postby night_stalker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:18 pm

anchoraroundmyfeet wrote:also, is everyone mostly a 3 season hiker? ive never been out in the real winter, but ive been entertaining the idea of trying to get some gear so i could venture out once it snows.

Hiking and camping is a lot different in the winter obviously. If you're thinking of hiking without using snowshoes, you're going to have a tough time. Love building snow caves though and are surprisingly warm to sleep in.

night_stalker

Postby moose drool » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:44 pm

excited to go backpacking in the spring and summer

targets include the Porcupine Mountains, and Isle Royale National Park
moose drool

Postby Giant Mechanical Brain » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:47 pm

plagues wrote:

Curious, how tall are you? I went caving for the first time in the summer and I felt like I had to be pushing the upper limits of what was safe for where we were. I'm 6' 3", and pretty broad shouldered. My friends (2 girls and a guy who's about a half foot shorter than me) didn't have nearly the issues I did. It was fun, but being somewhat claustrophobic, it made me really nervous about caving in the future.

5'8" and I have no problems. My friends that are 6'+ and really big didn't have much of a problem either. It really depends on the cave really.
Giant Mechanical Brain

Postby No Regrets No Shame » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Postin causes I fucking love hiking.
No Regrets No Shame

Postby shaneisneato » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Hiking an 8 mile trail this Saturday. Pumped!
shaneisneato

Postby Pinche Guey » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:59 pm

does this count?
Pinche Guey

Postby Dirac » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:05 pm

gunstreetgirl wrote:
ToddParker wrote:I dont have much experience with real deal hiking /camping/outdoorsman shit but i want to get into it.

do it guys, there is nothing better than casting off the majority of our modern conveniences and sleeping under the stars. There is something special about it, especially if you can have a fire to cook on rather than stoves.
Dirac

Postby Dirac » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:07 pm

night_stalker wrote:
anchoraroundmyfeet wrote:also, is everyone mostly a 3 season hiker? ive never been out in the real winter, but ive been entertaining the idea of trying to get some gear so i could venture out once it snows.

Hiking and camping is a lot different in the winter obviously. If you're thinking of hiking without using snowshoes, you're going to have a tough time. Love building snow caves though and are surprisingly warm to sleep in.

[resize]http://www.gdargaud.net/Climbing/Alaska/SnowCave.jpg,200[/resize]

That is the raddest thing i have seen all day. I would love to have a go at that one day.
Dirac

Postby vMeatLoversPizzav » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:09 pm

posting
vMeatLoversPizzav

Postby Collinw » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Back when I lived in Georgia, I'd hike along the AT all the time. Along with other trails..so much fun.
Collinw

Postby pali gap » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:08 am

went to joshua tree last month. aimlessly hiked to some abandoned mines

pali gap

Postby shaneisneato » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:52 am

pali gap wrote:went to joshua tree last month. aimlessly hiked to some abandoned mines

This looks awesome. Whats the temperature drop at night like?
shaneisneato

Postby burnthelies » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:04 am

Finally invested in buying somewhat decent gear (layers).
- Marmot Oracle rainshell
- Montane Featherlite Marathon windstopper
- REI polartec 200 fleece
- REI lightweight polartec undershirt (don't know what I'll use it for though)
- Duofold thermals from Amazon (mainly stoked about seeing my gf in skintight thermals :smt002).
My friend is picking them up in the USA in about a week, cause I ordered them on Black Friday (I'm from Belgium)

Trip to Iceland should be fun!

Picture from my last hike (2 months ago).

[resize]http://distilleryimage5.s3.amazonaws.com/d3c87dd022fa11e28e3c22000a1f9d44_7.jpg,580[/resize]
burnthelies

Postby plagues » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:17 pm

Giant Mechanical Brain wrote:
plagues wrote:

5'8" and I have no problems. My friends that are 6'+ and really big didn't have much of a problem either. It really depends on the cave really.

Yeah, that's true. Since it was a couple of our first times we went to a commerical cave that had a guide. There were more than a few parts where my friends were able to crawl through with little issue while I had to push myself along on my stomach with my toes/finger tips due to my size. Feeling the cave on your back and stomach at the same time is like the worst feeling ever as a claustrophobic haha.

I guess I should just stick to well explored caves.
plagues

Postby NealWhite » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:57 pm

If anyone needs any gear hit me up
NealWhite

Postby pali gap » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:07 am

shaneisneato wrote:
pali gap wrote:went to joshua tree last month. aimlessly hiked to some abandoned mines

This looks awesome. Whats the temperature drop at night like?

it wasn't too bad then. maybe down into the 40's? nothing a couple layers couldn't handle.
pali gap

Postby cxcpablo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:11 am

Hiked a lot during summer but due to work I haven't been hiking since. Work is about to slow down which will give me a lot more time for hiking in camping in January. Here's some pictures of one of my favorite hiking spots, and last hike I did this year. Sorry for the size.

Image[/img]
cxcpablo

Postby cxcpablo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:36 am

Haven't been hiking since summer due to work but I'm looking forward to some downtime in January. So I will be planning some hiking and camping trips. Here's some pictures from my last hike and one of favorite spots. Sorry for the size.

[resize]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd159/pabloxmuerte/image_zps6f506661.jpg,580[/resize]

[resize]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd159/pabloxmuerte/image_zpsbee789a5.jpg,580[/resize]

[resize]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd159/pabloxmuerte/image_zps4daa48fb.jpg,580[/resize]

[resize]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd159/pabloxmuerte/image_zps381bfcfe.jpg,580[/resize]

[resize]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd159/pabloxmuerte/image_zps14b08d46.jpg,580[/resize]
cxcpablo

Postby arsonists_prayer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:40 am

how useful is undearmour's baselayer for keeping warm in possible snow?

i'm going to be traveling in february through possible snow. planning on wearing a patagonia shell with a shirt, flannel, zip up, and thermals underneath. will adding underarmour help? or would i be fucked regardless? im also planning on using a +10 degree sleeping bag.

do i have a deathwish?
arsonists_prayer

Postby burnthelies » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:48 am

^ ^ That looks amazing. Where is that?
burnthelies

Postby ollyisk » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:58 am

arsonists_prayer wrote:how useful is undearmour's baselayer for keeping warm in possible snow?

i'm going to be traveling in february through possible snow. planning on wearing a patagonia shell with a shirt, flannel, zip up, and thermals underneath. will adding underarmour help? or would i be fucked regardless? im also planning on using a +10 degree sleeping bag.

do i have a deathwish?

It's all relative to where you're traveling in February...some places are colder than others. I can't imagine many places that your layering system would result in your core being cold, unless you're going out in sub-zero temperatures.

Also, if you have money to buy, buy a nice down "sweater" or lightweight down jacket. They compress down to the size of nothing, weigh very little, and provide far more warmth than a flannel or zip up would.

I wouldn't even touch Underarmor--Patagonia, Icebreaker, EMS, and a lot of other companies make great baselayers, from wools and synthetics.

Again, the sleeping bag depends solely on you. What are the temperatures you'll experience where you'll be camping? Do you have a good (warm, high R-rating) air mattress? Do you sleep cold? Do you plan on sleeping in all of your clothing? Do you plan on heating water, putting it in a bottle and throwing it in your bag with you when you sleep? What altitudes are you sleeping at? Will the climates vary based on how long your hike lasts? Will you be above the treeline? Are you using a tent designed for 4-season camping, or stretching the limits of a three season tent that has a lot of mesh (and will be drafty?).

Outdoor stuff is all subjective to your conditions. What works for me, or anyone else in February may not work for you--even if someone is hiking/camping the same trail you are.

I just received my Therm-a-rest Neoair XLite and Xtherm (LL Bean had a Black Friday sale for 40% off...couldn't resist) to replace my "old" Neoair. Trying to get out at least a handful times this winter but I don't own any snowshoes, and I'm not sure if I want to spend $250 for a decent pair that I might use a handful of times a year at the most.
ollyisk
LOVES NOT HAVING A TITLE

Postby gold soundz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:04 am

Agreed, I wore an UnderArmor baselayer out once and immediately returned it, a pair of $10 longjohns would probably be warmer.

Have any of you hiked New Mexico? I might be in the Santa Fe/Albuquerque areas in late spring and I'm looking for good day hikes.
gold soundz

Postby gold soundz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:06 am

Great pics of Joshua Tree by the way, probably one of my favorite places to hike. We hit up Mojave on the way and climbed some dunes, it was rad.
gold soundz

Postby Pinche Guey » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:47 am

Was planning a solo overnight backpacking trip this weekend, but I realized my tent is at my parent's house and I don't know how I feel about sleeping without a tent, it doesn't get too cold down here, but I'm still unsure. Anyone wanna weigh in?
Pinche Guey

Postby cxcpablo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:38 pm

burnthelies wrote:^ ^ That looks amazing. Where is that?

It's Santa Paula creek in between Santa Paula and Ojai CA.
cxcpablo

Postby pali gap » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Pinche Guey wrote:Was planning a solo overnight backpacking trip this weekend, but I realized my tent is at my parent's house and I don't know how I feel about sleeping without a tent, it doesn't get too cold down here, but I'm still unsure. Anyone wanna weigh in?

where are you thinking? it's been pretty cold all over southern california. down in the 30's or lower depending on where you are
pali gap

Postby Pinche Guey » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:33 pm

pali gap wrote:
Pinche Guey wrote:Was planning a solo overnight backpacking trip this weekend, but I realized my tent is at my parent's house and I don't know how I feel about sleeping without a tent, it doesn't get too cold down here, but I'm still unsure. Anyone wanna weigh in?

where are you thinking? it's been pretty cold all over southern california. down in the 30's or lower depending on where you are

Santa Barbara, up in the santa ynez mountains. I've been told there is actually some occasional snowfall up there, so I'm gonna hold off until I grab my tent.
Pinche Guey

Postby that one dude » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:59 pm

plagues wrote:

It really depends on the cave really.

REALLY?
that one dude

Postby GuyIncognito » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:57 am

i have the weirdest boner right now
GuyIncognito

Postby Giant Mechanical Brain » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:47 am

that one dude wrote:
plagues wrote:

It really depends on the cave really.

REALLY?

Suck my dick you stupid bitch. Really.
Giant Mechanical Brain

Postby theXdXman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:27 am

My gf and I want to camp and hike much more this coming year. We'd like to save our tax returns to help pay to go to Iceland for a camping trip.
theXdXman

Postby CreatureFear » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:59 am

Haven't gone hiking since the summer but I really want to try going this time of year. Here are some pictures from my last one:

[resize]http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/534373_3530016853248_1149201587_n.jpg,580[/resize]
[resize]http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/542347_3530019213307_1399103957_n.jpg,580[/resize]
[resize]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/301751_3530009893074_228454270_n.jpg,580[/resize]
[resize]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/577665_3526997177758_2093956059_n.jpg,580[/resize]
[resize]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/252360_3529999332810_1889422245_n.jpg,580[/resize]
CreatureFear

Postby Pinche Guey » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:34 am

Here's some pics from my last backpacking trip, it was the middle of the summer so everything was dry as fuck, but it was still so awesome being deep in the backcountry.

Pinche Guey

Postby cxcpablo » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:58 pm

Pinche Guey wrote:Here's some pics from my last backpacking trip, it was the middle of the summer so everything was dry as fuck, but it was still so awesome being deep in the backcountry.

Is this in Santa Barbara?
cxcpablo

Postby All.Bets.Are.Off » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Love these threads.

A few weeks ago in the Middlesex Fells. Proof you dont need to get far out of town to spend some quality time in the woods.

[resize]http://25.media.tumblr.com/60f307b1dd2bf9ec0366568d4254ee6c/tumblr_mf4r0bSNdQ1qkjouwo1_1280.jpg,580[/resize]

[resize]http://25.media.tumblr.com/1dfc21f1fbfceb72f51b03521e38ac2f/tumblr_mf4r7iRzw01qkjouwo1_1280.jpg,580[/resize]

Lots of hiking photos from my travels in NH, the west coast and Patagonia on http://afollowingsea.tumblr.com/
All.Bets.Are.Off

Postby SOULJA BOY TELL'EM. » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:23 pm

gunstreetgirl wrote:
SOULJA BOY TELL'EM.
the weather outside is weather

Postby burnthelies » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:45 pm

theXdXman wrote:My gf and I want to camp and hike much more this coming year. We'd like to save our tax returns to help pay to go to Iceland for a camping trip.

Keep checking the Icelandair website, they tend to have some pretty amazing deals every now and then.
burnthelies

Postby moose drool » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:47 pm

A couple cool local places where I like to spend my days off..

Interstate State Park, WI
[resize]http://i47.tinypic.com/33w1wfm.jpg,580[/resize]

Kinni State Park, WI
[resize]http://i46.tinypic.com/eiusew.jpg,580[/resize]
moose drool

Next