post your new tattoos v. 3.0

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby blackhawks#1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:36 pm

tattoo artists charge exorbitant prices already. is everyone's issue that it might not be safe?
blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby Heathenist » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:37 pm

blackhawks#1 wrote:tattoo artists charge exorbitant prices already. is everyone's issue that it might not be safe?

I think the biggest concern is that from the outside it seems like some company that has no ties to tattooing, came up with some gimmicky bullshit that they think they can sell and make a boatload of profit off of, then bought out a bunch of well respected tattooers to peddle their bullshit. And do you really think that tattoo artists charge "exorbitant" prices? Some do, sure, but I'd say most are pretty reasonable when you account for the amount of overhead they have. Either way, I imagine that these stupid fucking DNA tattoos are going to cost wayyyyyy more than a normal tattoo.
Heathenist

Postby blackhawks#1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:41 pm

Heathenist wrote:And do you really think that tattoo artists charge "exorbitant" prices?

yeah. that's their prerogative, though.
blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby oliviatremorcontrol » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:45 pm

You would think new school artists would be the ones embracing this and not a bunch of shitty traditional tattooists
oliviatremorcontrol

Postby Lil Meatsauce » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:49 pm

whats interesting to me is how many of the artist involved are the same ones that for years commented about the "poaching" of their community by outside interests.

but im all for cash grabs and if the logic behind some of this is that they can now afford to fly first class instead of coach to a convention based on nothing besides putting some shit on IG and having your name used...go nuts.
Lil Meatsauce

Postby blackhawks#1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:50 pm

maybe they just like the idea. no? ok.
i do recommend taking any complaints to the tattoo artists themselves. pls post responses itt thx
blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby chrisND666 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:04 pm

blackhawks#1 wrote:maybe they just like the idea. no? ok.
i do recommend taking any complaints to the tattoo artists themselves. pls post responses itt thx

maybe look at IG and you'll see a handful of posts calling this company and these tattooers out.
chrisND666

Postby chrisND666 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:10 pm

Heathenist wrote:
blackhawks#1 wrote:tattoo artists charge exorbitant prices already. is everyone's issue that it might not be safe?

And do you really think that tattoo artists charge "exorbitant" prices? Some do, sure, but I'd say most are pretty reasonable when you account for the amount of overhead they have.

I started typing out a big response to that, had to do a little tattoo and came back and deleted it all.. I never understood the people who complain about pricing. You live in a big city, want good tattoos, then you're paying big city prices. You want tattooed by the best out there? So does everyone else, so you gotta pay what they ask or go to the shithead down the road. I've been tattooed all over the place, and by 50-60 different people.. only once was i ever charged "exorbitant prices", and that was in SF. Also seems like a lot of people don't understand that out of the $500 you're paying your tattooer, the shop is getting close to half of that automatically.
chrisND666

Postby Heathenist » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:19 pm

Lil Meatsauce wrote:whats interesting to me is how many of the artist involved are the same ones that for years commented about the "poaching" of their community by outside interests.

but im all for cash grabs and if the logic behind some of this is that they can now afford to fly first class instead of coach to a convention based on nothing besides putting some shit on IG and having your name used...go nuts.

This right here is what makes it so bizarre. I'd never expect some of these people to want anything to do with this, but here we are.
Heathenist

Postby Que Sera Sera » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:22 pm

Even those cool guy tattooers couldn't resist what they were offered for the posts. Kinda like how Oliver peck somehow gets a pass for that corny show.
Que Sera Sera

Postby Heathenist » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:25 pm

I'm starting to suspect they were just offered a shitload of money just to make those posts, change their avatars, and post those IG stories and then will act like it never happened when the checks clear and this gimmick ends up being a bust. Most of the captions on the posts are really similar and makes me think the tattooers themselves have absolutely nothing to do with the "project".
Heathenist

Postby blackhawks#1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:26 pm

chrisND666 wrote:
Heathenist wrote:

And do you really think that tattoo artists charge "exorbitant" prices? Some do, sure, but I'd say most are pretty reasonable when you account for the amount of overhead they have.

I started typing out a big response to that, had to do a little tattoo and came back and deleted it all.. I never understood the people who complain about pricing. You live in a big city, want good tattoos, then you're paying big city prices. You want tattooed by the best out there? So does everyone else, so you gotta pay what they ask or go to the shithead down the road. I've been tattooed all over the place, and by 50-60 different people.. only once was i ever charged "exorbitant prices", and that was in SF. Also seems like a lot of people don't understand that out of the $500 you're paying your tattooer, the shop is getting close to half of that automatically.

Dude, I baited you while I was bored. Don't take it so seriously.
Artists can charge whatever they want as far as I'm concerned. That's why I said it's their prerogative. Do I think it costs an arm and a leg to get tattooed sometimes? Yes I do. That just means I would go to someone cheaper. No problem.
There does seem to be a little discussion about higher prices that is not just coming from me though. So can they or can't they charge what they want, and does that bother you?
blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby No Doz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:46 pm

blackhawks#1: master baiter
No Doz

Postby !azzip » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:58 pm

if it were me i'd just tell the dumbass that the dna was in there and pocket an extra $1k
!azzip
Mind the d, ladies

Postby spsp » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:59 pm

i want a haunted tattoo
spsp

Postby maxandtotheleft » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:11 pm

who can i pay to put my own nut into some ink and then tattoo a flaming skull onto my calf
maxandtotheleft

Postby othernewest1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:16 pm

Me
othernewest1

Postby Worship » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:38 pm

blackhawks#1 wrote:maybe they just like the idea. no? ok.

why are you dying on this hill
Worship
9/11 truther

Postby FourtyFour » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:06 am

lol this bs. theyve all invested into it i believe.
FourtyFour

Postby chrisND666 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:13 am

maxandtotheleft wrote:who can i pay to put my own nut into some ink and then tattoo a flaming skull onto my calf

$1000, please :smt047
chrisND666

Postby ab0mination » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:07 am

Going to reserve too much judgement until more info comes out, but if @FourtyFour is right—cool, hope they make a lot of money. But if there's outside investment or people that haven't been in the industry before they were born—yikes, that's some hypocrisy.

I come from an industry where people put out tons of content to teach others (blog posts, books, videos, tutorials, etc.)—usually for nothing other than to push their skills and share their knowledge with others. From (mostly) the outside looking in, it's such the opposite in tattooing, and that's always been off-putting to me.
ab0mination

Postby Booty Telegram » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:10 am

Haha, more tattooers firing back. Jeff Pageau, Nick Baldwin.
Booty Telegram

Postby sayword!! » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:30 am

Boxcar posted some funny shit to his IG
sayword!!

Postby sayword!! » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:50 am

Ugh I didn’t realize Scott Sylvia was in on it too.
sayword!!

Postby pata_negra » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:56 am

your fave is problematic. the tattoo edition.
pata_negra

Postby SomeTribe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:10 am

Maybe 9 or 10 months ago those DNA tattoo people were pitching to some artists, with military officials in the room (because apparently the military invested in this technology) at my work. I was in the room and my favorite part was when someone said, "we can already use ashes in ink, why would I charge 3x as much for this?" The response was, "ashes are just carbon, this is DNA."
SomeTribe

Postby sayword!! » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:17 am

Yeah Steve Byrne just posted that someone who is a vet and actively involved in the military is the one behind it all.
sayword!!

Postby Lil Meatsauce » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:24 am

few more days!

Lil Meatsauce

Postby FourtyFour » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:37 am

ab0mination wrote: But if there's outside investment or people that haven't been in the industry before they were born—yikes, that's some hypocrisy.

I think that's the part people have problems with.
FourtyFour

Postby FourtyFour » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:38 am

pata_negra wrote:your fave is problematic. the tattoo edition.

god damn it :smt042 :smt042
FourtyFour

Postby Booty Telegram » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:54 am

sayword!! wrote:Yeah Steve Byrne just posted that someone who is a vet and actively involved in the military is the one behind it all.

Gotta support the troops.
Booty Telegram

Postby theb00box » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:00 am

Shawn Patton pretty much listed almost everyone with that circle on his IG
Spoiler: show
Mike Shea
Bob Everence
Chuco Moreno
Ed Slocum
Jill Bonny
Erick Lynch
Stephanie Tamez
Dan Smith
Stewart Robson and Valerie Vargas
Chad Chesko
Tim Hendricks
Rose Hardy and Mike Rubendall
Noble
Scott Sylvia
Steve Byrne
Chris Garver
Nick Colella
Virgina Elwood
theb00box
joey haircuts

Postby blackhawks#1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:04 am

!azzip wrote:if it were me i'd just tell the dumbass that the dna was in there and pocket an extra $1k

hahaha. smrt
blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby Booty Telegram » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:10 am

theb00box wrote:Shawn Patton pretty much listed almost everyone with that circle on his IG
Spoiler: show
Mike Shea
Bob Everence
Chuco Moreno
Ed Slocum
Jill Bonny
Erick Lynch
Stephanie Tamez
Dan Smith
Stewart Robson and Valerie Vargas
Chad Chesko
Tim Hendricks
Rose Hardy and Mike Rubendall
Noble
Scott Sylvia
Steve Byrne
Chris Garver
Nick Colella
Virgina Elwood

Add Mario Desa.
Booty Telegram

Postby Lil Meatsauce » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:40 am

spsp wrote:i want a haunted tattoo
Lil Meatsauce

Postby chrisND666 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:47 pm

ab0mination wrote:Going to reserve too much judgement until more info comes out, but if @FourtyFour is right—cool, hope they make a lot of money. But if there's outside investment or people that haven't been in the industry before they were born—yikes, that's some hypocrisy.

I come from an industry where people put out tons of content to teach others (blog posts, books, videos, tutorials, etc.)—usually for nothing other than to push their skills and share their knowledge with others. From (mostly) the outside looking in, it's such the opposite in tattooing, and that's always been off-putting to me.

because there is literally 0 reason for tattooers to do that. if they want to share their knowledge, they do so in private with their close friends. not everyone should be a tattooer, and unless you are - the ins and outs of tattooing don't pertain to you.
not everything should be public knowledge.
chrisND666

Postby Que Sera Sera » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:34 pm

This stuff is so embarrassing and shows the real character of these tattooers. A tattooer in PA showed me the proposal email he received and all the financial stuff....it's a trip. I'm sure someone will post the financials soon
Que Sera Sera

Postby Lil Meatsauce » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:08 pm

i mean if i was presented with a pitch like "hey want to get in on the ground floor of this project and garver, sylvia, hendricks, vargas are already on board" in addition to whatever financial windfall might be attached it would be silly i think to just write it off.

the only thing thats lame for me is the presentation. this weve got this secret that were going to reveal in time....stay tuned tattoo public!!!
Lil Meatsauce

Postby blackhawks#1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Lil Meatsauce wrote:the only thing thats lame for me is the presentation. this weve got this secret that were going to reveal in time....stay tuned tattoo public!!!

cornball behavior for sure
blackhawks#1
HELL YES

Postby chrisND666 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:41 pm

the whole shit is whack. just do your tattoos like you've been doing and stop trying to reinvent something that is perfectly fine.
chrisND666

Postby ab0mination » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:26 pm

chrisND666 wrote:
ab0mination wrote:Going to reserve too much judgement until more info comes out, but if @FourtyFour is right—cool, hope they make a lot of money. But if there's outside investment or people that haven't been in the industry before they were born—yikes, that's some hypocrisy.

because there is literally 0 reason for tattooers to do that. if they want to share their knowledge, they do so in private with their close friends. not everyone should be a tattooer, and unless you are - the ins and outs of tattooing don't pertain to you.

What reason is there for people in my industry to do it? Maybe you get the notice of some client or potential employer—but the audience very clearly is other skilled workers. I guess that qualifies as public knowledge?

Empowering people to be able to work in a field they love or are talented in is much cooler then acting like it's some higher-level of being, enlightened state to tattoo. It's not some special trade that exists in a vacuum. It's a hard job and you need to know how to properly do it to have a shot at doing it well. So should less people do it, or is it maybe better if it's easier to acquire that knowledge?

I get it, you're on the inside, and you feel like you've put the hard work in and travelled and been tattooed extensively and therefore deserve it more. I'm just saying, in my industry, those people are often the ones that turn around and share their knowledge and lessons with those that are interested—not look to immediately turn around and make it as hard for others to figure out or get an opportunity like they did.

Obviously if no tattooer wants to do this, that's their prerogative. But I think it's probably pressure cultivated the the cult-esque politics.
ab0mination

Postby Heathenist » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:37 pm

ab0mination wrote:
chrisND666 wrote:

What reason is there for people in my industry to do it? Maybe you get the notice of some client or potential employer—but the audience very clearly is other skilled workers. I guess that qualifies as public knowledge?

Empowering people to be able to work in a field they love or are talented in is much cooler then acting like it's some higher-level of being, enlightened state to tattoo. It's not some special trade that exists in a vacuum. It's a hard job and you need to know how to properly do it to have a shot at doing it well. So should less people do it, or is it maybe better if it's easier to acquire that knowledge?

I get it, you're on the inside, and you feel like you've put the hard work in and travelled and been tattooed extensively and therefore deserve it more. I'm just saying, in my industry, those people are often the ones that turn around and share their knowledge and lessons with those that are interested—not look to immediately turn around and make it as hard for others to figure out or get an opportunity like they did.

Obviously if no tattooer wants to do this, that's their prerogative. But I think it's probably pressure cultivated the the cult-esque politics.

I think the concern stems from tattooers not wanting to flood the market with a bunch of scratchers who just try to learn tattooing from shit they learn online and then start tattooing all of their friends out of their kitchen for $20 a pop. That means less business to the professionals who actually know what they are doing. Not everything can be learned from youtube videos and the end result of a lot of people doing bad work because they took shortcuts has much bigger implications for the tattoo industry as a whole, vs something like learning how to code in python.
Heathenist

Postby Lil Meatsauce » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:13 pm

the thing is "bad work" maybe not so much in application but rendering is in vogue. sean from texas is booked months in advance and scott sylvia is still available for walk ins most of the week.

why put in all those years learning the craft the "right way" when fuck it..have a good IG following and just start tatty blasting for Lolz and profit!!
Lil Meatsauce

Postby ab0mination » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:21 pm

And I think that's probably the popular argument, and makes some sense, but I'm not really so sure.

I know someone with a booming hand-made furniture businesses that started because they watched videos and started tinkering with wood. Depending on his mood and the market, he does that and/or guts and renovates houses.

I also have hired out union-educated contractors who have done hack jobs on some renovation work.

My trainer has no science or medical qualifications and has healed my back better than years of medical professionals. Maybe this one is a slightly better example because he could in fact fuck my body up more than most of what's a risk in receiving a tattoo.

And to be clear I'm not proposing 'how to tattoo' videos on YouTube or 'DIY tattoo kits' on Amazon. I think there's probably a reasonable middle-ground.
Last edited by ab0mination on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ab0mination

Postby ab0mination » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Also don't subscribe to the flood the market idea. That's a bit too Trump-building-the-wall for me. Tattoos are more popular than ever, and the market will support what it supports. Your favorite artist is still going to have a 2-month or however-long waitlist.

I think the more immediate effect is shops that do consistently garbage work start to no longer exist because there's better options.
ab0mination

Postby sayword!! » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:34 pm

The goofiest thing IMO is the “we are going to change the world” motto with all this. They ain’t changing shit.
sayword!!

Postby Pete Rose » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:54 pm

ab0mination wrote:
chrisND666 wrote:

This does happen though, it’s just not broadcast over the internet.. I’ve been very fortunate throughout my almost 3 years of apprenticing that tattooers both in my shop and outside of my shop have helped me and given me advice on stuff ranging from technique to materials. Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.
Pete Rose

Postby Pete Rose » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:57 pm

ab0mination wrote:Also don't subscribe to the flood the market idea. That's a bit too Trump-building-the-wall for me. Tattoos are more popular than ever, and the market will support what it supports. Your favorite artist is still going to have a 2-month or however-long waitlist.

I think the more immediate effect is shops that do consistently garbage work start to no longer exist because there's better options.

Garbage shops get work because the undercut the real professionals and the people that get tattooed by them convince themselves they look good because they realize they have to live with it the rest of their lives. And yeah, garbage shops might not last long (you’d really be surprised tho..) but as soon as one closes another one pops right up. And the tattooers in the middle who aren’t tattooing collectors all day but also aren’t giving tattoos away are the ones who get hurt.
Pete Rose

Postby tedz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:13 pm

caught this 1
tedz

Postby Worship » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:15 pm

get that shit out of here, we're arguing
Worship
9/11 truther

PreviousNext