Film Thread

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby chaosvcosmos » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:56 pm

The World Is My Fuse wrote:
chaosvcosmos wrote:Planning on watching The Brown Bunny tonight.

Do not watch this movie. I repeat: DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE.
Pure, unadulterated 100% grade A certified garbage.

I'll give it a trial run of the first 15 minutes and then decide. Thanks for the heads up.
chaosvcosmos

Postby anthropology » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:11 pm

rafael1188 wrote:
The World Is My Fuse wrote:
anthropology wrote:anyone see Dog Day Afternoon?
About half way through it on netflix instant, it's interesting

I dont get it. I always see people posting while watching a movie and I always see someone's picture taken with a webcam that someone's uploaded with the caption saying something to the effect of, "Just hangin & watchin _________."
Are you browsing the internet while watching this movie or what? Ill never have any clue as to how people can do this and not have any idea what's going on.

when I'm a good amount into the movie and its not that great, i start browsing while watching it.

Dog Day Afternoon was great, so many great movies during that era. I've been wanting to the see the conversation for awhile but its always hard for me to commit to 2 hour movies :smt012

I saw Win Win today, its not a bad movie by any means but nothing special.

i was watching it. then had to do something. then i got on the internet afterwards.
anthropology

Postby NealWhite » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:18 pm

Serious movies... Anyone see the Smurfs in 3d?
NealWhite

Postby nightgaunt » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:46 pm

Ok Pal wrote:
nightgaunt wrote:Ryan Gosling mentioned in a film thread

:arrow:

Wow, how fucking pretentious could you possibly get? If this is the kind of attitude that's perpetuated by this revival of the film thread then count me out.

Why don't you shut your whiny mouth? If you think the Notebook is on par with most of the films mentioned in here, then count me out on whatever the fuck drug you're on. There are films with actual artistic merit and then there are films with worth measured by how good looking the actors are.....
nightgaunt

Postby AnusRavage » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:54 pm

I watched" Super " the other night with Rain Wilson in it, i really liked it
also anyone into suspence type movies watch dank, its one giant mindfuck
AnusRavage

Postby chaosvcosmos » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:36 pm

AnusRavage wrote:I watched" Super " the other night with Rain Wilson in it, i really liked it
also anyone into suspence type movies watch dank, its one giant mindfuck

Good flick. Also watch "I Saw the Devil".
chaosvcosmos

Postby NealWhite » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:40 pm

nightgaunt wrote:
Ok Pal wrote:

Wow, how fucking pretentious could you possibly get? If this is the kind of attitude that's perpetuated by this revival of the film thread then count me out.

Why don't you shut your whiny mouth? If you think the Notebook is on par with most of the films mentioned in here, then count me out on whatever the fuck drug you're on. There are films with actual artistic merit and then there are films with worth measured by how good looking the actors are.....

What people like you dont get is that some (most) people like watching movies because theyre entertaining and fun to watch. Im not saying Ryan Gosling is an amazing actor but he does a decent job being a big hollywood movies. I thought Fracture with him and Anthony Hopkins was a good movie.

Yeah, watching a 7 hour movie that in black and white with 5 minutes of dialogue can be cool to watch, but who seriously only wants to watch shit like that. Youre no different that an beret wearing art fag who jerks off to a Picasso that make him "feel and understand" the mood of the artist.

I go to the theatre at least 2-3 times a week because I enjoy going just to watch movies for what they are. Could be The Count of Monte Cristo or could be something dumb like Take Me Home Tonight. Enjoy movies for what they are.
NealWhite

Postby ROBOTCOP » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:49 pm

just watched escape from new york

i wanted it to be so much more over the top and it had the potential to be, but it just never quite got there. only 1 head on a stick? oh well.
ROBOTCOP

Postby pump it up » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:25 am

ROBOTCOP wrote:just watched escape from new york

i wanted it to be so much more over the top and it had the potential to be, but it just never quite got there. only 1 head on a stick? oh well.

snek muthafuckin plisskin.

I just finished watching Repo Man again, and wow, that was intense.
pump it up

Postby unholy living dead » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:12 am

i feel the Film Thread shouldn't exclude and/or purposely belittle others for their enjoyment of Hollywood movies, rather it should encourage people to watch and rewatch great films. great films many know of and ones few know of, regardless of whether it can be disregarded as, the banal insult, pretentious or not. perhaps that's just wishful thinking, though.

so tonight i watched Blow-Up. i was somewhat inspired to watch it after people were talking of Blow Out, which i believe is a reimagining of Blow-Up. unfortunately, it was not to my liking. before tonight i believe of Antonioni's work i had only seen La Notte. i must say i feel La Notte is the significantly greater film, both in the story, acting, use of music, and the cinematography. perhaps Blow-Up will need to be viewed again at a later date for me to enjoy it.
unholy living dead

Postby foodgazi » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:06 pm

"The Guard" was great. Highly recommended.
foodgazi

Postby unholy living dead » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:23 pm

keep the thread alive.

a couple days ago i watched Rebel Without a Cause for the first time. i had mistakenly put off watching it for a long time. i thought James Dean's character was going to be the stereotypical hollywood badass cool guy who is rude to everyone and such, but i was pleasantly surprised to see his characters was relatable, kind, but still very cool. i really enjoyed it.

then i planned to watch a bunch of Buñuel films, seeing how i've only seen a couple of his pieces. so first was The Young and the Damned. i enjoyed it, especially the dream sequence. however i felt the last portion of the film seemed rushed almost, and could have benefited by slowing down to feel more powerful.

yesterday i watched L'age d'or. it was ok; had some very entertaining surreal moments, like a suicide victim laying on the ceiling, but in the end it felt unfulfilled. perhaps another viewing is needed.

and tonight i watched Viridiana. i really liked it a lot. the story and acting were good, but the camera work was what really impressed me; it's flowing movement was lovely to watch. to me this is one of those films that is just so full of content, the story just got more and more enjoyable throughout. it may have become my favourite of Buñuel's, though The Exterminating Angel is up there too. well, i highly recommended it.
unholy living dead

Postby Spider Jerusalem » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:33 pm

nightgaunt wrote:
Ok Pal wrote:

Do you only go to the Movies on Exchange Street or something? you sound like a fucking moron. sure the notebook sucks, but Gosling has chosen some interesting roles in the last few years. It sounds like a lot of your bile stems from ignorance. Lars and the Real Girl, Blue Valentine, and Half Nelson are all films where I think he does a pretty outstanding job. He's supposed to be fantastic in Drive as well.

take the stick out of your ass, watch Armageddon and appreciate that movies can be both incredibly stupid and enjoyable at the same time.
Spider Jerusalem

Postby drown the world » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:35 am

Spider Jerusalem wrote:
nightgaunt wrote:
Ok Pal wrote:

Do you only go to the Movies on Exchange Street or something? you sound like a fucking moron. sure the notebook sucks, but Gosling has chosen some interesting roles in the last few years. It sounds like a lot of your bile stems from ignorance. Lars and the Real Girl, Blue Valentine, and Half Nelson are all films where I think he does a pretty outstanding job. He's supposed to be fantastic in Drive as well.

take the stick out of your ass, watch Armageddon and appreciate that movies can be both incredibly stupid and enjoyable at the same time.

Yeah I mean c'mon dude, every actor does something shitty. Isn't that the ultimate irony of Marlon Brando? Gave about 3 or 4 of the most legendary performances in the history of cinema, and about 10 embarrassing flops to match?

I definitely think Ryan Gosling is a good actor with a capable range.
drown the world

Postby foodgazi » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Woah, didn't know this thread still existed. Glad to see it back.

"Hesher" - a complete waste of time. Avoid.
foodgazi

Postby Сталкер » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:11 pm

unholy living dead wrote:
then i planned to watch a bunch of Buñuel films, seeing how i've only seen a couple of his pieces. so first was The Young and the Damned. i enjoyed it, especially the dream sequence. however i felt the last portion of the film seemed rushed almost, and could have benefited by slowing down to feel more powerful.

yesterday i watched L'age d'or. it was ok; had some very entertaining surreal moments, like a suicide victim laying on the ceiling, but in the end it felt unfulfilled. perhaps another viewing is needed.

and tonight i watched Viridiana. i really liked it a lot. the story and acting were good, but the camera work was what really impressed me; it's flowing movement was lovely to watch. to me this is one of those films that is just so full of content, the story just got more and more enjoyable throughout. it may have become my favourite of Buñuel's, though The Exterminating Angel is up there too. well, i highly recommended it.

watch Belle de Jour
Сталкер

Postby Сталкер » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:13 pm

foodgazi wrote:Woah, didn't know this thread still existed. Glad to see it back.

i was gonna watch this last night but the codec wasn't compatible with my media player so i had to convert it first and went on to watch Biutiful. made me feel like shit. incredible performance by Bardem though.
Сталкер

Postby foodgazi » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:15 pm

Сталкер wrote:
foodgazi wrote:Woah, didn't know this thread still existed. Glad to see it back.

i was gonna watch this last night but the codec wasn't compatible with my media player so i had to convert it first and went on to watch Biutiful. made me feel like shit. incredible performance by Bardem though.

Biutiful was great, but I agree, a huge downer. A ton of people walked out of the theater when I saw it.
foodgazi

Postby unholy living dead » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:54 pm

Сталкер wrote:
unholy living dead wrote:

watch Belle de Jour

well, a couple days ago, after watching Viridiana i saw Diary of a Chambermaid then i watched Belle de jour. last night i watched The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, which i was going to watch as a finale of this little Buñuel marathon of mine, but after looking into more of his work, which i must say from seeing reviews seems quite consistently good, i feel i should continue. tonight will probably be Nazarin. then perhaps i'll plan to watch Ensayo de un crimen, Simon of the Desert, Tristana, The Phantom of Liberty, and That Obscure Object of Desire.
unholy living dead

Postby captainsunshine » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:55 pm

did anyone see Another Earth by chance?
captainsunshine
Frasier Superfan

Postby master sleeper » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:16 pm

ROBOTCOP wrote:just watched escape from new york

im about to kick your ass out of the world war hero
master sleeper

Postby master sleeper » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:48 am

http://www.slashfilm.com/ridley-scott-direct-produce-blade-runner-film/

thoughts?...cant say im not kinda excited if it actually happens...
master sleeper

Postby drown the world » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:18 am

Yes, Hesher is definitely one of my least favorite movies in a while.
drown the world

Postby Сталкер » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:04 am

i watched Hesher last night. i'm aware it's an awful movie that i'm supposed to hate, but i gotta admit that it kept me entertained.
Сталкер

Postby greekvvedge » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:50 pm

harakiri (seppuku) has been my latest rewatching obsession. i haven't seen the new Takashi Miike version, however. I did love 13 Assasins though. Was that talked about in detail on this board?

Also watched both Cowboys and Aliens and Planet of the Apes as date movies. Getting good English language cinema is difficult around these parts. Though Cowboys and Aliens wasnt as bad as people said.
greekvvedge

Postby pump it up » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:08 pm

I finally caught the film Fool's Gold. Mcconaughey gave a great performance.
pump it up

Postby foodgazi » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:33 pm

to the top

I started Deliverance last night, thought I had seen it but I'd only seen about half of it. I think those who have seen it can say that it speaks for itself. Very eerie movie. I may cave and see Fright Night today, or maybe The Help. The latter obviously looks like a much better movie, but I can't resist a cheesy horror.

What have you guys been watching?
foodgazi

Postby foodgazi » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:34 pm

to the top

I started Deliverance last night, thought I had seen it but I'd only seen about half of it. I think those who have seen it can say that it speaks for itself. Very eerie movie. I may cave and see Fright Night today, or maybe The Help. The latter obviously looks like a much better movie, but I can't resist a cheesy horror.

What have you guys been watching?
foodgazi

Postby Spider Jerusalem » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:14 am

I just finished Attack the Block. holy shit was that a blast. bejujular take on a monster/alien invasion movie.
Spider Jerusalem

Postby parker lewis » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:20 am

Spider Jerusalem wrote:I just finished Attack the Block. holy shit was that a blast. bejujular take on a monster/alien invasion movie.

is this online yet?

edit: found it.
parker lewis

Postby unholy living dead » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:06 pm

i finished my Buñuel marathon last night. before this two weeks of watching mainly just Buñuel films i had only seen Un chien andalou and The Exterminating Angel, now i've seen probably the majority of his work, though i didn't watch a lot from the 50's. what i watched was as follows... The Young and the Damned, The Golden Age, Viridiana, Diary of a Chambermaid, Belle de jour, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Nazarin, Simon of the Desert, Ensayo de un crimen, The Young One, The Milky Way, Tristana, The Phantom of Liberty, and That Obscure Object of Desire. i'll watch more of his films from the 50's some other time. in the end i must recommend all of his films to those who haven't watched them yet.
unholy living dead

Postby Cutsman » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:54 pm

Watched Super today, not what I was expecting but totally awesome
Cutsman

Postby Section487 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:54 pm

turkey bacon wrote:how do yall feel about david lynch? mulholland drive is a fav of mine.

mulholland drive is one of my favourites too. i love all of his films.
Section487

Postby Cutsman » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:55 pm

As for the Ryan Gosling debate,

the potential is there, we just haven't seen it yet but I do have high hopes for Drive : it looks awesome
Cutsman

Postby icursetheday » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:12 pm

greekvvedge wrote:harakiri (seppuku) has been my latest rewatching obsession. i haven't seen the new Takashi Miike version, however. I did love 13 Assasins though. Was that talked about in detail on this board?

13 Assassins was so god damn good. Miike hasn't let me down yet
icursetheday

Postby Cletis Vandamme » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:12 pm

captainsunshine wrote:did anyone see Another Earth by chance?

I did. I hated it. I reviewed it for my film blog. You guys should check it out. I think I'm either going to review 13 Assassins or Hobo With A Shotgun next. Thoughts on which one?

http://deathhascome.wordpress.com/
Cletis Vandamme

Postby odoylerules » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:21 pm

Spider Jerusalem wrote:I just finished Attack the Block. holy shit was that a blast. bejujular take on a monster/alien invasion movie.

my download for this is going so damn slow was hoping to watch it tonight, hopefully can watch it tomorow. it looks bejujular.
odoylerules

Postby Cutsman » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:22 pm

odoylerules wrote:

my download for this is going so damn slow was hoping to watch it tonight, hopefully can watch it tomorow. it looks bejujular.

been meaning to watch this but I always get distracted by other shit

I def am going to watch it tomorrow
Cutsman

Postby odoylerules » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:52 pm

Also can anyone recommend me some movies i need to check out? I just sprained my ankle playing baseball for the 2nd time this summer so I am not doing to much for next week or so thought it would be a good time to catch up.
odoylerules

Postby Spider Jerusalem » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:55 pm

odoylerules wrote:

check your PMs
Spider Jerusalem

Postby rafael1188 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:01 pm

Сталкер wrote:i watched Hesher last night. i'm aware it's an awful movie that i'm supposed to hate, but i gotta admit that it kept me entertained.

same here, it was totally watchable for me.
rafael1188

Postby GrizzlyBlair » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:02 pm

I just watched Red State. I enjoyed it. Not really what I was expecting, but it was cool. John Goodman is one hell of an actor, given the proper role.
GrizzlyBlair

Postby odoylerules » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:04 pm

rafael1188 wrote:
Сталкер wrote:i watched Hesher last night. i'm aware it's an awful movie that i'm supposed to hate, but i gotta admit that it kept me entertained.

same here, it was totally watchable for me.

I think it was just the mood I was in but I laughed so much during Hesher, I enjoyed it but haven't watched it again kind of forgot about it.
odoylerules

Postby Section487 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:39 pm

odoylerules wrote:Also can anyone recommend me some movies i need to check out? I just sprained my ankle playing baseball for the 2nd time this summer so I am not doing to much for next week or so thought it would be a good time to catch up.

have you seen Brick before?
Section487

Postby Count Takeshi » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:48 pm

Does anyone remember the pdf links from the last thread? I was really into reading them until I forgot about the thread.
Count Takeshi

Postby unholy living dead » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:52 am

i watched Attack the Block tonight because of this thread. it was a very fun movie.
unholy living dead

Postby foodgazi » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:52 am

GrizzlyBlair wrote:I just watched Red State. I enjoyed it. Not really what I was expecting, but it was cool. John Goodman is one hell of an actor, given the proper role.

I'm about to check this out. I'll report back.

Ended up seeing 30 Minutes Or Less on a whim last night, it wasn't bejujular but I was laughing, which is all that counts I suppose. Danny McBride is just too funny.

And about Hesher, I wouldn't consider it unwatchable by any means, nor did I go into it expecting to hate it. I like JGL (as well as the rest of the cast), the Metallica theme had me interested, and it looked promising. Unfortunately, it fell flat for me in a lot of areas. First, it's advertised as a sort of dark comedy, which is pretty untrue. Save for a few sparse laughs, it's mainly a drama, and a pretty depressing one at that. Second, the Hesher character didn't get enough on screen time, in my opinion. Instead it became the kid and his father's tale, and I would have loved to see more of JGL as Hesher, as I feel that would have made the movie much more enjoyable. Plus it's pitched to us as a movie about him, but I didn't really feel like we knew anything about his character at all. And lastly, it just seemed to be a by-the-book 'indie' screenplay. And by that I mean, it had the troubled family, this outcast kid who is way too smart for his age, a substance abusing parent, completely ridiculous love subplot, and a few comedic moments sprinkled in between (mostly with the grandmother). It just felt so forced to me, as if a college student who had seen too much Noah Baumbach decided to try his hand at screenwriting. Well, that's just my two cents. What do I know.
foodgazi

Postby odoylerules » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:53 am

Section487 wrote:
odoylerules wrote:Also can anyone recommend me some movies i need to check out? I just sprained my ankle playing baseball for the 2nd time this summer so I am not doing to much for next week or so thought it would be a good time to catch up.

have you seen Brick before?

yup, bejujular movie
odoylerules

Postby odoylerules » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:41 pm

The Tree of Life leaked. It never came close to me in theaters so this will have to do.
odoylerules

Postby GrizzlyBlair » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:00 pm

Attack the Block was awesome. It was a ton of fun and delivered some (surprisingly) suspenseful moments.
GrizzlyBlair

PreviousNext