Film Thread

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Spider Jerusalem » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:47 pm

captainsunshine wrote:does anyone in here use the filmstruck app




if they put an app out for xbox or ps4 i would sign up in a hearbeat.
User avatar
Spider Jerusalem
 
Posts: 23176
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:19 pm
Location: Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces

Postby jaredfromsubway » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:35 pm

Wasn't a fan of The Book of Henry, especially the awful third act

Just watched Mayhem, which was fun. Much superior to Belko Experiment, the rival violent office workplace movie.
jaredfromsubway
 
Posts: 3163
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Buena Park, CA

Postby Chronoclast » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:55 pm

Three Billboards is pretty awesome and hilarious. It’s no In Bruge, but I liked it more than Svene Psycopaths.

Didn’t like Mudbound. I really hated how the story was told with the end as the intro. Knowing the whole time what was inevitably going to happen really distracted me from the intensity. Also struggled with the younger brother’s acting. He seemed like a charicature of a southern charmer during that time period.
User avatar
Chronoclast
 
Posts: 3282
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:54 pm

Postby Queefer Sutherland » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:44 am

I've seen The Florida Project, Thor, and Lady Bird the past 3 days. I liked them all for sure. Lady Bird was really good, but I think I liked The Big Sick more. Not super similar, just venting to you all.
User avatar
Queefer Sutherland
 
Posts: 2010
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:45 am
Location: Athens, GA

Postby the religion lie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:11 pm

Excited to catch Ladybird, Three Billboards, and The Florida Project this weekend.

Way behind on this but last night I finally saw 'Carol' and holy shit. Underrated masterpiece and totally stiffed at the Oscars. Can't believe Haynes didn't get a directing nod.
User avatar
the religion lie
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:45 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby jaredfromsubway » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:18 pm

Watching Three Billboards later tonight, stoked
jaredfromsubway
 
Posts: 3163
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Buena Park, CA

Postby The Lowest One » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:20 pm

Good Time was fucking wild.
The Lowest One
 
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:10 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Postby Classic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Watched some older flicks on a trip. Alien Covenant on the plane. I was not into this movie. The little BAYBAYYYYYY xenmorphs were the dumbest looking things ever and they should not have had more scenes of BAYBAYYYYYY/teen xenomorphs than full grown ones. Fassbender was sweet and the first bit was cool, but man some scenes were so cheesy. Saw Palo Alto as well. That was alright. Meandering and aimless but I guess that’s what it was going for. Some scenes we’re pretty but overall I wasn’t too into it
User avatar
Classic
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:40 am
Location: Edmonton

Postby benten » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:05 pm

Three Billboards wanted to be a great movie, but I thought it was just fine. Some of the dialogue was cringey and misplaced like it should be in another movie. It did not play very well at my packed theater. I can definitely see why it didn't get best pic nom for Indie Spirits.
Last edited by benten on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7836
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

Postby rwh » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:28 pm

The Lowest One wrote:Good Time was fucking wild.


Still my fave this year.
User avatar
rwh
 
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:44 pm

Postby drown the world » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:32 pm

the religion lie wrote:Excited to catch Ladybird, Three Billboards, and The Florida Project this weekend.

Way behind on this but last night I finally saw 'Carol' and holy shit. Underrated masterpiece and totally stiffed at the Oscars. Can't believe Haynes didn't get a directing nod.


Yeah I was blown away by Carol. It was essentially perfect.
drown the world
 
Posts: 6221
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:17 pm

Postby brah_life » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:26 pm

Rewatching Holy Motors right now- what a completely bugged out flick.
User avatar
brah_life
Spent $40 on a brick because hypebeast said it's cool
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Postby oldorder » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:50 pm

Blade of the Immortal was so good. Very likely top ten of the year.
oldorder
would rather die than not eat Taco Bell
 
Posts: 13764
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: On my ALCATEL 4015T

Postby jaredfromsubway » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:42 am

Blade of the Immortal was indeed a fucking blast, that final line was a great way to end it

Three Billboards is a definite top 10 contender for me. Loved every minute of it.
jaredfromsubway
 
Posts: 3163
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Buena Park, CA

Postby Alex 2K » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:22 am

Got a ticket to a screening of Lady Bird that Gerwig is attending!

B )
User avatar
Alex 2K
 
Posts: 21756
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:47 am

Postby Cletis Vandamme » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:00 am

Alex 2K wrote:Got a ticket to a screening of Lady Bird that Gerwig is attending!

B )


At the Egyptian? Nice. That's where I saw it.
User avatar
Cletis Vandamme
 
Posts: 2243
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:50 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Alex 2K » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Uptown
User avatar
Alex 2K
 
Posts: 21756
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:47 am

Postby Chronoclast » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:24 pm

benten wrote:Three Billboards wanted to be a great movie, but I thought it was just fine. Some of the dialogue was cringey and misplaced like it should be in another movie. It did not play very well at my packed theater. I can definitely see why it didn't get best pic nom for Indie Spirits.


My audience clapped and cheered every time Frances verbally owned someone.
User avatar
Chronoclast
 
Posts: 3282
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:54 pm

Postby The Lowest One » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:52 pm

Lady Bird is hands down my favorite of 2017. I feel remarkably awesome after watching it.
The Lowest One
 
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:10 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Postby benten » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:11 pm

Alex 2K wrote:Goldderby has Dunkirk and Nolan as the odds on favorites to win at the AA. baaaaarf


yeah. they always play it extremely safe until the very end. Most of the voters have it there solely because its 100 percent getting nominated for both.
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7836
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

Postby lajoie » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:40 am

Three Billboards was fantastic. Martin McDonagh wrote a great script and I'm surprised how this British/Irish guy nailed midwest America so well.

Spoiler: show
Woody's character's suicide and letter was so brutal. The shot with the horses in the field and the wife walking out of the barn :(
User avatar
lajoie
 
Posts: 5562
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 8:57 am
Location: VT/ AZ

Postby haitchcee » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:32 am

Watched 'The Trouble With Harry' - old Hitchcock film I had never seen, loved it! quite farcical, with just a perfect cast and script - very funny, and just something slightly odd (in a good way) about the whole thing
haitchcee
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Postby Chronoclast » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:53 pm

lajoie wrote:Three Billboards was fantastic. Martin McDonagh wrote a great script and I'm surprised how this British/Irish guy nailed midwest America so well.

Spoiler: show
Woody's character's suicide and letter was so brutal. The shot with the horses in the field and the wife walking out of the barn :(


Woody’s story was my favorite part about the movie.
User avatar
Chronoclast
 
Posts: 3282
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:54 pm

Postby The Lowest One » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:54 pm

So bummed I was scrolling through the thread on my phone and accidentally opened that spoiler. Only saw four/five words, but it was enough... Fuck. :smt010
The Lowest One
 
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:10 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Postby benten » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:25 pm

Chronoclast wrote:
lajoie wrote:Three Billboards was fantastic. Martin McDonagh wrote a great script and I'm surprised how this British/Irish guy nailed midwest America so well.

Spoiler: show
Woody's character's suicide and letter was so brutal. The shot with the horses in the field and the wife walking out of the barn :(


Woody’s story was my favorite part about the movie.


mine too, easily.
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7836
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

Postby benten » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:30 pm

The Lowest One wrote:So bummed I was scrolling through the thread on my phone and accidentally opened that spoiler. Only saw four/five words, but it was enough... Fuck. :smt010


Im not going to say it wont affect anything about your viewing, but it shouldn't hinder it that much - its more about the impact and not the act.
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7836
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

Postby ButtDan316 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:27 pm

Three Billboards was great. Woody was great. I think I liked the shithead cop’s story the best.
ButtDan316
Voted for Gary Johnson
 
Posts: 838
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Postby jaredfromsubway » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:35 pm

Yeah, Sam Rockwell was great in it too

Just saw 120 BPM, which was very good. It's sad without having to resorting to being melodramatic. I always liked the activism scenes, especially the final scene.
jaredfromsubway
 
Posts: 3163
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Buena Park, CA

Postby Stormy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:56 pm

Couple new movies i watched over the past few days:

Good Time - really liked this one. About a guy trying to get his mentally challenged brother out of jail after a heist gone wrong. Not sure who Benny Safdie is, but he was amazing in this.

Sweet Virginia - another one i liked although i was expecting more. it started off great and i kinda expected another Wind River/Hell or High Water. Small town crimes, great fleshed out characters... the whole thing was just very anti-climactic to me. Christopher Abbott played a great psychopath though. Still one of the better movies i saw this year.

Year's winding down, and still it's all about The Hero and Wind River for me. Guess i'll check out Lady Bird after all the praise in this thread.
Stormy
 
Posts: 9620
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:48 pm

Postby benten » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:06 pm

i loved Good Time when i saw it in theaters, but its even grown on me more since.
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7836
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

Postby Alex 2K » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:20 pm

Don't skip Coco! I cried.
User avatar
Alex 2K
 
Posts: 21756
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:47 am

Postby benten » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:21 pm

Lady Bird was magnificent. fave movie of the year. flawless movie. Greta Gerwig needs in on winning that original screenplay oscar. shes so great.
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7836
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

Postby the religion lie » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:05 pm

benten wrote:Lady Bird was magnificent. fave movie of the year. flawless movie. Greta Gerwig needs in on winning that original screenplay oscar. shes so great.

Couldn't have put this any better. One of the best films of the decade and I loved every second of it. Instant classic. There's a ton of buzz around it and it's coming out at the right time so hopefully it gets some recognition come awards season.
User avatar
the religion lie
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:45 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby jaredfromsubway » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:08 pm

The only great thing about Roman J. Israel, Esq is Denzel's performance. Too bad he wasted it on a muddled mess. It's a shame this came from the guy who did Nightcrawler.
jaredfromsubway
 
Posts: 3163
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Buena Park, CA

Postby brah_life » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Gonna rewatch The Rules Of Attraction- it's prob been 10 years since I've seen that flick.
User avatar
brah_life
Spent $40 on a brick because hypebeast said it's cool
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Postby jaredfromsubway » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:45 pm

Most Beautiful Island is pretty good. I dug the second half even though I thought the third act was going to be nuts, but I liked that they went with an ending that felt more authentic. I liked that it was also shot in 16mm.
jaredfromsubway
 
Posts: 3163
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Buena Park, CA

Postby WheresTheGabagool » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:53 pm

Just got done with Personal Shopper. I don't know....I wanna say I liked it because Kristen Stewart was amazing, but I just didn't understand the ending. I guess it's open to interpretation.

Spoiler: show
We see a glimpse of Lewis, or was it even him?....lingering in the background before he drops the cup. Then we are at the end of the film where Maureen communicates with the spirit by asking questions then receiving thuds for yes or no. Then she says "Is this coming from me?" ::knock::....


.hmmm. This is where I'm lost.
WheresTheGabagool
Basically Chalie
 
Posts: 6938
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 2:48 am
Location: Cambodia, So Cal

Postby drown the world » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:12 pm

Top 3 Altman? For me:

Nashville
Short Cuts
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
drown the world
 
Posts: 6221
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:17 pm

Postby benten » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:31 am

the religion lie wrote:
benten wrote:Lady Bird was magnificent. fave movie of the year. flawless movie. Greta Gerwig needs in on winning that original screenplay oscar. shes so great.

Couldn't have put this any better. One of the best films of the decade and I loved every second of it. Instant classic. There's a ton of buzz around it and it's coming out at the right time so hopefully it gets some recognition come awards season.


Oh it's locked for a few things, nominations-wise. Laurie Metcalf/supp actress, Best Picture, screenplay (needs to win). It's almost locked for Ronan but it's a close race on the female side this year. She's def in for Globes. It will get critics awards too
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7836
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

Postby benten » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:36 am

drown the world wrote:Top 3 Altman? For me:

Nashville
Short Cuts
McCabe & Mrs. Miller


1. McCabe & Mrs. Miller
2. The Player
3. The Long Goodbye
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7836
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

Postby Stormy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:51 pm

Nashville
MASH
McCabe & Mrs Miller (watching this tonight actually)
Stormy
 
Posts: 9620
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:48 pm

Postby Stormy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:56 pm

Watched a new garbage movie last night called Hangman. Why take a by-the-numbers cookie-cutter thriller when you're Al fucking Pacino?
Stormy
 
Posts: 9620
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:48 pm

Postby the religion lie » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:37 pm

Stormy wrote:Watched a new garbage movie last night called Hangman. Why take a by-the-numbers cookie-cutter thriller when you're Al fucking Pacino?

Same reason he's in those shitty Adam Sandler films - cash is king.

Also, Three Billboards was just not good. I think it's closer to this years 'Crash' than anything else. From
Spoiler: show
it's hamfisted portrayal of midwestern racism (and complete lack of consequence), borderline insultingly corny scenes (what the FUCK was that Orange juice scene. Are you kidding me?) and it's *completely* unearned redemption arcs (absolutely nothing about Sam Rockwell's character did anything to earn his redemption)
I think it's definitely the film I'll most be rolling my eyes at come Oscar time. I'm a little dumbfounded by the level of praise it's getting.
User avatar
the religion lie
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:45 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby chrischill » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:20 pm

benten wrote:
drown the world wrote:Top 3 Altman? For me:

Nashville
Short Cuts
McCabe & Mrs. Miller


1. McCabe & Mrs. Miller
2. The Player
3. The Long Goodbye


1. Nashville
2. The Player
3. Secret Honor
User avatar
chrischill
 
Posts: 6657
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Parts Unknown, ILL

Postby jaredfromsubway » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:16 pm

1. Nashville
2. The Long Goodbye
3. 3 Women
jaredfromsubway
 
Posts: 3163
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Buena Park, CA

Postby benten » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:19 pm

the religion lie wrote:
Stormy wrote:Watched a new garbage movie last night called Hangman. Why take a by-the-numbers cookie-cutter thriller when you're Al fucking Pacino?

Same reason he's in those shitty Adam Sandler films - cash is king.

Also, Three Billboards was just not good. I think it's closer to this years 'Crash' than anything else. From
Spoiler: show
it's hamfisted portrayal of midwestern racism (and complete lack of consequence), borderline insultingly corny scenes (what the FUCK was that Orange juice scene. Are you kidding me?) and it's *completely* unearned redemption arcs (absolutely nothing about Sam Rockwell's character did anything to earn his redemption)
I think it's definitely the film I'll most be rolling my eyes at come Oscar time. I'm a little dumbfounded by the level of praise it's getting.


I'm on you side of the line with what you spoiler tagged
Last edited by benten on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7836
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

Postby jaredfromsubway » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:10 pm

Bitch had an interest concept and a good first act that made me LOL at a few parts, but there is so much more they could've done with it
jaredfromsubway
 
Posts: 3163
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Buena Park, CA

Postby Alex 2K » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:47 am

RJI Esq is good. Colin Farrell is a slick motherfucker. Dude can get into any role and I love him. Denzel made me feel like he wasn't Denzel which is a plus. Some of the story is a bit clumsy, but it's still solid.
User avatar
Alex 2K
 
Posts: 21756
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:47 am

Postby drown the world » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:07 am

benten wrote:
drown the world wrote:Top 3 Altman? For me:

Nashville
Short Cuts
McCabe & Mrs. Miller


1. McCabe & Mrs. Miller
2. The Player
3. The Long Goodbye


You ever hear Altman talk about getting the Leonard Cohen songs for McCabe? Brilliant shit. Starts at about 12:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-S4WtLEk0E
drown the world
 
Posts: 6221
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:17 pm

Postby benten » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:09 am

Gotham Independent Awards are tonight. NBR Winners are announced tomorrow. NYFCC and LA Critics winners are this week sometime. Awards Season is here! This one should be good, and tricky with some surprises.


GOTHAM PREDICTIONS

Best Feature: Get Out
Best Documentary: Strong Island
Best Actor: James Franco, The Disaster Artist
Best Actress: Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird
Best Screenplay: Lady Bird, Greta Gerwig
Breakthrough Actor: Timothée Chalamet, Call Me by Your Name
Breakthrough Director Award: Jordan Peele, Get Out
Audience Award: Call Me By Your Name
Last edited by benten on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7836
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

PreviousNext


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Anti-todo, antipasto, Bob Loblaw, Chad of the Dead, countscashaccurately, cutoffatmohegan, Gamblor, Gnargoyle, I_killed_kenny_6475, jchucking, krujones, NALYD., obertron, PetroBPettson, pizzapower518, quit_everything, Santos L Halper, Spider Jerusalem, theshift, !azzip and 60 guests