Film Thread

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby GrizzlyBlair » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:30 pm

Drive was incredible. Perfect cinematography. Awesome soundtrack. Intense violence. One of the best movies of the year. Possibly of the decade.
GrizzlyBlair

Postby Cletis Vandamme » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:02 pm

I rented a Stallone flick called Cobra last night. What a piece of shit. I loved it.
Cletis Vandamme

Postby GrizzlyBlair » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:56 pm

I went to see Warrior tonight. Solid movie. Really good performance by Nick Nolte.
GrizzlyBlair

Postby pump it up » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:12 am

Anybody got some good netflix instant recommendations?
pump it up

Postby OutofStaat » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:26 pm

Just watched That Obscure Object of Desire, The Man Who Knew Too Much and Band of Outsiders this week. Really enjoyed all of them, Band of Outsiders might be in my top 3 Godard now.
OutofStaat

Postby Steven Oscar Bluth » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:36 am

Based on everything ive heard recently, I really want to check out drive.
Steven Oscar Bluth

Postby My Tummy is Full » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:23 am

Saw Drive last night. I was blown away. I haven't walked out of a theater feeling so satisfied in a long time.
My Tummy is Full

Postby Cutsman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Drive was worth the wait to see. So good
Cutsman

Postby phaggot » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:46 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl62H4JPHh0%26%61%75%74%6f%70%6c%61%79%3d%31[/youtube]
phaggot

Postby Сталкер » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:55 pm

FUCKING MELANCHOLIA SCREENER JUST LEAKED!!! way earlier than expected

:supz: :supz: :supz:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6701654/Melancholia.2011.DVDSCR.XviD-BKZ
Сталкер

Postby odoylerules » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Сталкер wrote:FUCKING MELANCHOLIA SCREENER JUST LEAKED!!! way earlier than expected

nice! Thank you sir
odoylerules

Postby odoylerules » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:05 pm

Also to add to the screeners list. The Drive screener is on Demonoid now to under top torrents. Haven't checked to see if on any other site yet.
odoylerules

Postby GrizzlyBlair » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Speaking of great movies, has anyone seen Abduction yet?

:smt003
GrizzlyBlair

Postby OutofStaat » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:47 pm

Сталкер wrote:FUCKING MELANCHOLIA SCREENER JUST LEAKED!!! way earlier than expected

I really want to see this, but I have a feeling it's going to look too fucking cool on the big screen to not see it there first. I'm tempted though.
OutofStaat

Postby Сталкер » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:02 pm

OutofStaat wrote:

I really want to see this, but I have a feeling it's going to look too fucking cool on the big screen to not see it there first. I'm tempted though.

it won't be in theaters for at least another month and a half, and it'll probably be a very limited release also. watching this on my 50" will be just fine...
Сталкер

Postby Cutsman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:05 pm

Сталкер wrote:
OutofStaat wrote:

it won't be in theaters for at least another month and a half, and it'll probably be a very limited release also. watching this on my 50" will be just fine...

Someone give me a rundown of this.
Cutsman

Postby Сталкер » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:07 pm

Cutsman wrote:
Сталкер wrote:
OutofStaat wrote:

Someone give me a rundown of this.

rundown of what?
Сталкер

Postby Cutsman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:07 pm

What Melancholia is about
Cutsman

Postby Сталкер » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:09 pm

Cutsman wrote:What Melancholia is about

Сталкер

Postby Citizen Cain » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:18 pm

k-shaps wrote:Drive is what would happen if Michael Mann made a slow paced Le Samourai. Great performances all around, a killer score, unusual but great pacing, and cool and clean cinematography, oh yeah and some intense violence. It is defiantly in my top five of the year and I highly recommend it.

Wait...a slow paced Le Samourai?
Citizen Cain

Postby k-shaps » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:00 pm

Citizen Cain wrote:
k-shaps wrote:Drive is what would happen if Michael Mann made a slow paced Le Samourai. Great performances all around, a killer score, unusual but great pacing, and cool and clean cinematography, oh yeah and some intense violence. It is defiantly in my top five of the year and I highly recommend it.

Yes, Drive is slower moving than Le Samourai.
k-shaps

Postby unholy living dead » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:18 pm

i saw Drive tonight. i enjoyed it quite a bit. the cinematography at times was greatly noteworthy. though, like i said about Lilja 4-Ever recently, i found the non-diegetic music distracting at times. with that said, k-shaps, you obviously like Le Samourai, i tend to consider it my favourite film, but i would not compare Drive too closely to Le Samourai. of course there are similarities: the protagonist is quiet, cool, somewhat separated from others, and takes part in illegal activities, but other than those basic things i don't see many significant similarities. so k-shaps, if you wouldn't mind, can you please describe why you felt Drive was as if Michael Mann made a slow paced Le Samourai? i am not that familiar with Michael Mann in the first place so perhaps that is why i am even less in agreeance with your statement. i should add, i could just be overprotective of Le Samourai, seeing how when others compared The American to it i emphatically disagreed in what may have been, and probably was, a ridiculous manner.

OutofStaat, have you seen anything else by Buñuel? you probably have. though it is not my favourite of his, i thought That Obscure Object of Desire was a very nice fitting end to Buñuel's directing career. i think it may even be my favourite of his films from the 70's.

i plan on watching a bunch of Robert Bresson's films. perhaps all of them if i can find each. i am starting from the beginning. so far i have only seen his first short, which is but a mildly amusing slapstick comedy, and his first feature that was quite good.

also, thank you Сталкер for the Melancholia link. you seem to always share great links.
unholy living dead

Postby OutofStaat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:26 am

@unholy living dead: Yeah I've seen a couple of Bunuel's films now. Un Chien Andalou , Discreet Charm... and I have The Exterminating Angel downloaded that I need to watch soon. I've enjoyed them all so far, I just got into his work early this year. What others would you suggest?
OutofStaat

Postby Samizdat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:32 am

k-shaps wrote:
Citizen Cain wrote:

Yes, Drive is slower moving than Le Samourai.

I think a slower-moving than Le Samourai would just be a long shot of Jef Costello's cigarette smoke spiraling toward the ceiling for an hour and a half.
Samizdat

Postby unholy living dead » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:36 am

OutofStaat wrote:@unholy living dead: Yeah I've seen a couple of Bunuel's films now. Un Chien Andalou , Discreet Charm... and I have The Exterminating Angel downloaded that I need to watch soon. I've enjoyed them all so far, I just got into his work early this year. What others would you suggest?

well i love The Exterminating Angel and Viridiana probably the most, but, as well, Belle de jour, Diary of a Chambermaid, and Ensayo de un crimen are great... really most of his films are quite consistently good. of course some are better than others, but you could probably pick any of his films at random and have a fairly enjoyable watching experience.
unholy living dead

Postby Сталкер » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:38 am

OutofStaat wrote:@unholy living dead: Yeah I've seen a couple of Bunuel's films now. Un Chien Andalou , Discreet Charm... and I have The Exterminating Angel downloaded that I need to watch soon. I've enjoyed them all so far, I just got into his work early this year. What others would you suggest?

i'm far from having seen all his work, but my favorite so far is Belle de Jour.
Сталкер

Postby Samizdat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:39 am

I may be alone in this, but I've always hated Bunuel when he had free reign. I actually like his Mexican studio work the best. The subtle disrespect toward genre norms in something like Susanna strikes me as more interesting than the over-the-top craziness of L'age d'Or or Discrete Charm. I realize that these are ultimately lesser films, and they're certainly not as important to film canon as his "best" work, but I can't help but enjoy them more.
Samizdat

Postby Сталкер » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:59 am

Alejandro Jodorowsky in person at NYC Holy Mountain screening Oct. 31!

http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/film_screenings/13607
Сталкер

Postby OutofStaat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:31 am

Has anyone seen any screeners or torrents for Take Shelter?
OutofStaat

Postby unholy living dead » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:59 am

i watched Melancholia, all thanks to Сталкер and his link, and i have somewhat split feelings towards it. at times i was quite annoyed, but at other times i was very pleased. to start with the very beginning, i was struck with fear with the eight or so minutes of somewhat predictable slow motion shots, for i dreaded these sort of moments would occur throughout the film, luckily i was wrong in my prediction. as for the character of Justine, i felt she was someone i just couldn't feel sympathy for practically throughout the whole film, besides when she lashes out at her rude boss and the very end, perhaps it was intended that the audience would feel this way towards her. for the most part she was lame (mentally and physically), arrogant, contemptuous, dull, selfish, and seemed unthankful. Clair, was much more responsible, helpful, thoughtful, and all around likeable, though weakly nervous at times during the second half when she should have been stronger for her family – i'll add that this isn't me criticizing the writing of this character, simply a description of the character. as for the acting, i thought everyone did a very good job, especially Charlotte Gainsbourg playing Claire. when it comes to the visual aspect of the film i thought the cinematography at times was marvellous, the shot that sticks in my mind is an aerial shot about an hour in when the two main girls ride horses on a foggy path, also the editing was very well done, i liked the jumpy feel, but i really didn't enjoy how much the camera moves about, for it felt like they tried too hard to make it feel jittery, which was more distracting than provoking of any deep uneasy sensations that a more subtle movement would have subconsciously done. now for the story, during the first part i thought the wedding seemed somewhat unnecessary, or rather certain parts weren't really needed, but now i look at it as an addition to Claire's pain and confusion near the end since she had just seen her, might i add quite realistic, friends and family days before then she is suddenly cut off from all those she cherishes as everyone faces their ultimate demise, and while it shows that it also shows how apathetic, yet calm, Justine is in the later half. i'm not quite sure what else to say besides that i apologise for any poor fellow who shall read this jumbled review of my tired thoughts and feelings right after my viewing of this film. i'll end this with saying i enjoyed it, though it's far from perfect, and i recommend it.
unholy living dead

Postby Cro-Matt » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:01 am

My scriptwriting teacher told us to watch Rango, and so I watched it. It was a lot more adult orientated than I expected it to be. Great animation and real clever dialogue.
Cro-Matt

Postby OutofStaat » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:09 pm

I saw 50/50 earlier today, and really enjoyed it. JGL is great in it, and it's something a lot of people can relate to if you've ever had a family member or friend who has had cancer. Also, the trailer for Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close played before the movie. Is anyone familiar with the novel? It's easily one of my favorite books ever, it looks to be a great film as well, I got emotional just watching the trailer.
OutofStaat

Postby xjmnpmx » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:53 pm

OutofStaat wrote:

I really want to see this, but I have a feeling it's going to look too fucking ice cold on the big screen to not see it there first. I'm tempted though.

I already saw it in a theater in Germany and it does have some moments that make the big screen worth it
xjmnpmx

Postby GrizzlyBlair » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:06 pm

OutofStaat wrote:I saw 50/50 earlier today, and really enjoyed it. JGL is great in it, and it's something a lot of people can relate to if you've ever had a family member or friend who has had cancer. Also, the trailer for Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close played before the movie. Is anyone familiar with the novel? It's easily one of my favorite books ever, it looks to be a great film as well, I got emotional just watching the trailer.

My best friend from grade school passed away from cancer earlier this year. Will this movie fuck me up, or does it have enough comedic parts to keep me from getting all emotional?
GrizzlyBlair

Postby GrizzlyBlair » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:12 pm

Also, I got stuck watching Killer Elite earlier in the week since the theater fucked up the showtimes for Straw Dogs and Contagion. It was alright. Typical action fare. The last thirty minutes are ice cold. Everything else is slow.
GrizzlyBlair

Postby OutofStaat » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:38 am

GrizzlyBlair wrote:
OutofStaat wrote:I saw 50/50 earlier today, and really enjoyed it. JGL is great in it, and it's something a lot of people can relate to if you've ever had a family member or friend who has had cancer. Also, the trailer for Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close played before the movie. Is anyone familiar with the novel? It's easily one of my favorite books ever, it looks to be a great film as well, I got emotional just watching the trailer.

My best friend from grade school passed away from cancer earlier this year. Will this movie fuck me up, or does it have enough comedic parts to keep me from getting all emotional?

It has its emotional moments, but there's plenty of comic relief. I definitely suggest seeing it.
OutofStaat

Postby OutofStaat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:23 pm

Take Shelter opens in San Francisco this Friday, hoping to catch a BART train after work to go see it. One of my most anticipated films this year. Also, who else is looking forward to The Ides of March?
OutofStaat

Postby Spider Jerusalem » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Spider Jerusalem

Postby My Tummy is Full » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:19 pm

Ides of March was pretty good. The acting was great all-around, but some parts felt a little stale. That's probably because I'm not big into political thrillers. It's worth checking out.
My Tummy is Full

Postby Cutsman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:38 pm

:smt005

Gonna go see Ides of March tomorrow.

Does anyone know where I can watch Warrior online?
Cutsman

Postby OutofStaat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:03 pm

My Tummy is Full wrote:Ides of March was pretty good. The acting was great all-around, but some parts felt a little stale. That's probably because I'm not big into political thrillers. It's worth checking out.

I'm with you on this. It was good, but nothing I'd really enjoy seeing a second time. There were a couple pretty ice cold shots too, actually.
OutofStaat

Postby pump it up » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:43 am

I watched Diabolique last night, it was dope, suspenseful as fuck.
pump it up

Postby unholy living dead » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:37 pm

tonight i watched Blame it on Fidel. i greatly enjoyed it; watching a young girl learn new ideas and experience new situations that are confusing and condemned by some, and eventually forming her own opinions is lovely. as someone on imdb put it quite nicely: "Even the most pedantic Marxist among us has got to be charmed by this 9 year old's grasp of politics and pragmaticism." i highly recommend.

tuesday i watched Shadows and Fog for the first time. it was decent, but far from Woody Allen's best. if i remember correctly imdb said it was Woody's most expensive film he has made. i guess that goes to show that more money doesn't necessarily make greater films. it was still an enjoyable watch.

i may watching something else tonight, but i'm not too sure. perhaps something i've already seen.

pump it up, i agree, Les diaboliques is so very good. Hitchcock almost bought the rights to the novel it's based on, but missed his chance, still it definitely influenced his Psycho.
unholy living dead

Postby foodgazi » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:11 pm

foodgazi

Postby k-shaps » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:58 pm

Just posting to say that The Tree of Life Blu-Ray has one of the best transfers I have ever seen. It's fantastic. The Sound on it is insanely good as well.
k-shaps

Postby foodgazi » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:59 pm

k-shaps wrote:Just posting to say that The Tree of Life Blu-Ray has one of the best transfers I have ever seen. It's fantastic. The Sound on it is insanely good as well.

My friend got it for me for my birthday, he's dropping it off tomorrow. So excited :smt003
foodgazi

Postby foodgazi » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:59 pm

k-shaps wrote:Just posting to say that The Tree of Life Blu-Ray has one of the best transfers I have ever seen. It's fantastic. The Sound on it is insanely good as well.

My friend got it for me for my birthday, he's dropping it off tomorrow. So excited :smt003
foodgazi

Postby OutofStaat » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Bought this the other day, haven't watched it yet but checked out the special feature/making of.... deal. It was pretty sweet.
OutofStaat

Postby pump it up » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:28 am

I opened an account at Le Video today. It's on 9th and Irving in SF. I'm excited, they have a pretty awesome selection. They have a deal right now, rent two movies and get a Canadian movie for free haha. Gonna hit up their Cronenberg section, I've never seen Crash or Shivers. They have a few copies of Ace in the Hole, anybody ever seen that? I didn't know it was ever officially released.
pump it up

Postby Thomas_ » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:26 am

I saw this film last night, simply amazing, you need a big screen and decent sound otherwise dont bother.
Thomas_

PreviousNext