Film Thread

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby unholy living dead » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:09 pm

i just watched Incendies. it's a great Canadian film. the acting and cinematography were both very well done, but story was just amazing. i highly recommend it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1255953/
unholy living dead

Postby odoylerules » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:48 am

unholy living dead wrote:i just watched Incendies. it's a great Canadian film. the acting and cinematography were both very well done, but story was just amazing. i highly recommend it.

Where did you watch this? I was going to buy it before I even watched it but it doesn't include subs. I kept trying to download it and they didn't have subs either. It looks like an awesome movie though.
odoylerules

Postby unholy living dead » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:58 pm

odoylerules wrote:
unholy living dead wrote:i just watched Incendies. it's a great Canadian film. the acting and cinematography were both very well done, but story was just amazing. i highly recommend it.

Where did you watch this? I was going to buy it before I even watched it but it doesn't include subs. I kept trying to download it and they didn't have subs either. It looks like an awesome movie though.

i used this...
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6520880/Incendies.2010.m720p.BluRay.x264-BiRD
though, i wouldn't be surprised if there are faster torrents out there, for i simply chose this one because it was the first i noticed that had english subtitles.
unholy living dead

Postby I Hate The Kids » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:20 pm

If anyone is a film festival type and you get a chance to see Silver Tongues, I suggest watching it. Movie fucking rules.
I Hate The Kids

Postby Сталкер » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:21 pm

odoylerules wrote:The Tree of Life leaked. It never came close to me in theaters so this will have to do.

quality is terrible, i'd wait for a BR or BD rip on this one.
Сталкер

Postby foodgazi » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:22 pm

Red State was a pleasant surprise. I don't care for Kevin Smith at all, but it's an awesome little movie. Check it out.
foodgazi

Postby Ok Pal » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:27 pm

Anyone plan on going to the New York Film Festival? I just moved to Queens to I hope to attend.

Psyched for Carnage, Melancholia, A Dangerous Method & anniversary screenings of The Royal Tenenbaums, The Exterminating Angel and Spirited Away.
Ok Pal

Postby Сталкер » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:42 pm

Ok Pal wrote:Anyone plan on going to the New York Film Festival? I just moved to Queens to I hope to attend.

Psyched for Carnage, Melancholia, A Dangerous Method & anniversary screenings of The Royal Tenenbaums, The Exterminating Angel and Spirited Away.

whoa new Abel Ferrara movie (4:44 Last Day on Earth) as well! didn't even know about this

also, Paul Morrissey in person at a double feature of his latest film and Trash tomorrow!
Сталкер

Postby odoylerules » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:07 pm

Сталкер wrote:
odoylerules wrote:The Tree of Life leaked. It never came close to me in theaters so this will have to do.

quality is terrible, i'd wait for a BR or BD rip on this one.

yup, I ended up deleting it.
odoylerules

Postby pump it up » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:03 am

unholy living dead wrote:i finished my Buñuel marathon last night. before this two weeks of watching mainly just Buñuel films i had only seen Un chien andalou and The Exterminating Angel, now i've seen probably the majority of his work, though i didn't watch a lot from the 50's. what i watched was as follows... The Young and the Damned, The Golden Age, Viridiana, Diary of a Chambermaid, Belle de jour, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Nazarin, Simon of the Desert, Ensayo de un crimen, The Young One, The Milky Way, Tristana, The Phantom of Liberty, and That Obscure Object of Desire. i'll watch more of his films from the 50's some other time. in the end i must recommend all of his films to those who haven't watched them yet.

I just saw Land Without Bread, it was great. He manages to make his documentarys surreal. Before that I had only seen Un Chien Andalou. Looks like I have quite a few more to check out.
pump it up

Postby unholy living dead » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:08 pm

i finally watched Melville’s' Le Deuxieme Souffle. i'm quite disappointed it took me so long to see it, especially because it's yet another great film by Meliville. i didn't look at the length of it before watching so i was surprised by how much story was in this film. Lino Ventura was unsurprisingly perfect as an older badass...
the cinematography was pretty good, with a few very nice shots. also the character Orloff seems like a pre-Jef Costello, perhaps Melville was testing the idea of a cool, quite, confident gangster first in a smaller role with Orloff before writing Le Samourai with Jef Costello. overall it's a very enjoyable watch, which isn't surprising when it comes to Melville's films.

pump it up, i have only seen a couple small pieces of Land Without Bread, but i'm sure it's an interesting watch. Buñuel's films are generally quite consistently good, though some are better than other, so you might as well start from around his beginning and progress to his later films.
unholy living dead

Postby say no to life » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:45 pm

unholy living dead wrote:
odoylerules wrote:

i used this...
though, i wouldn't be surprised if there are faster torrents out there, for i simply chose this one because it was the first i noticed that had english subtitles.

This film is fucking amazing. Cannot recommend highly enough to anyone who hasn't seen it.
say no to life

Postby foodgazi » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:48 pm

^Thanks for the link, been meaning to check that out.

I'd like to throw this into the mix as well. One of my favorite films of the year. If you liked In Bruges, you'll love this.
http://extratorrent.com/torrent/2501162/The+Guard+2011+DVDSCR+XVID-WBZ.html
foodgazi

Postby odoylerules » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:35 pm

say no to life wrote:
odoylerules wrote:

i used this...

This film is fucking amazing. Cannot recommend highly enough to anyone who hasn't seen it.

I completely missed the link you posted, thanks! I haven't downloaded .mkv files before though, do I need to do anything different then I would with .avi file?
odoylerules

Postby GrizzlyBlair » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:01 pm

I'm going to a screening of a documentary called Surviving Hitler - A Love Story on Tuesday. I've heard good things. Anyone seen it?
GrizzlyBlair

Postby unholy living dead » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:50 pm

odoylerules wrote:
say no to life wrote:
odoylerules wrote:

i used this...

I completely missed the link you posted, thanks! I haven't downloaded .mkv files before though, do I need to do anything different then I would with .avi file?

you're very welcome. as for the .mkv file, it worked on the video player i usually use, KMPlayer, but i'm not quite sure what other video players are capable of playing .mkv videos. you might as well download the torrent, for it's a great film, and if the video player you use now doesn't work simply download KMPlayer, which is free, or something similar that can play .mkv videos.
unholy living dead

Postby odoylerules » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:23 am

I tested it out on VLC player and it worked great. I don't know anything about .mkv but it downloaded at over 800kb/s. I have never been over 400kb/s before, it downloaded crazy quick.
odoylerules

Postby Cutsman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:49 pm

About to have a Ryan Gosling marathon for no apparent reason.

I got The United states of Leland, The Believer,Blue Valentine, Fracture,Half Nelson and Lars and The Real girl lined up.

Just getting into Gosling mode for Drive I suppose.
Cutsman

Postby Cutsman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:52 pm

also, i love .mkv files.

the size is small, but the quality is just as good.

Also you can use VLC or Media Player Classic, which also is good if you get the right codecs.
Cutsman

Postby Cletis Vandamme » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:52 pm

Has anyone seen Everything Must Go? I actually thought it was pretty good.
Cletis Vandamme

Postby odoylerules » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:56 pm

Cutsman wrote:About to have a Ryan Gosling marathon for no apparent reason.

I got The United states of Leland, The Believer,Blue Valentine, Fracture,Half Nelson and Lars and The Real girl lined up.

I won't be doing a Gosling marathon like you but I will definitely be seeing drive this weekend it looks great. I'll probably try to catch The Warrior as well.
odoylerules

Postby Cutsman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:58 pm

The Warrior is another movie I for sure have to see
All the reviews I've read about it have been good
Cutsman

Postby GrizzlyBlair » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:50 pm

I just got back from a screening of Surviving Hitler - A Love Story. It was a rough cut of the film (some of the audio/basic editing needs to be done) but I really enjoyed it. Very emotional, and a breath of fresh air in a sea of endless WWII documentaries. If it comes anywhere near you, I highly recommend it.
GrizzlyBlair

Postby foodgazi » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Cletis Vandamme wrote:Has anyone seen Everything Must Go? I actually thought it was pretty good.

I went in with high hopes, but it never really clicked with me. The ending in particular bothered me. The one upside to it, however, was that it did for Will Ferrell what "Punch Drunk Love" did for Adam Sandler - prove he can act. I hope he'll start taking more serious roles despite Everything Must Go being a box office flop.

Just got back from "Warrior" - I'll admit, at the beginning, it seems so generic and played out. But right when it was shaping up to be "The Wrestler Pt 2", it took a turn and ended up being a great movie. I highly recommend it.
foodgazi

Postby pump it up » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:59 am

Cletis Vandamme wrote:Has anyone seen Everything Must Go? I actually thought it was pretty good.

I thought it really could have done without the PBR/records/polaroid camera/melancholy indie type score. It seemed really targeted towards the urban outfitter type demographic. Also, I thought it was boring.
pump it up

Postby OutofStaat » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Thinking about seeing Drive, Our Idiot Brother, Contagion or The Guard this weekend. Any suggestions? Also, after viewing the trailer and looking at the website for Melancholia, I can gladly say this is my most anticipated movie of the year.
OutofStaat

Postby odoylerules » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:16 pm

OutofStaat wrote:Thinking about seeing Drive, Our Idiot Brother, Contagion or The Guard this weekend. Any suggestions? Also, after viewing the trailer and looking at the website for Melancholia, I can gladly say this is my most anticipated movie of the year.

I saw Drive tonight and it was an awesome movie, Ryan Gosling and whole cast actually were really good in it. I don;t want to go into detail but it is good see it.
odoylerules

Postby Cletis Vandamme » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:00 pm

Drive is absolutely incredible. Probably my favorite movie of the year. Click on the link in my sig to read my review.
Cletis Vandamme

Postby genu » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Last thing I watched was grave encounters, Putrid turd of a movie.
genu

Postby OutofStaat » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:11 pm

Going to see Drive tonight, just watched Hobo With A Shotgun earlier, so rad.
OutofStaat

Postby Cutsman » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:17 pm

Watched a few movies lately

All the Gosling ones I mentioned (minus Blue Valentine, so Lars and The Real Girl, Half Nelson, The Believer and The United states of Leland) and they were all very good films. Well directed, awesome performances. No Complaints.

The Believer definitely stands out from them though. It's a very cool concept and a different kind of film you don't see very often. I liked that you could tell it wasn't made to be popular or to be a mainstream movie, and was just made as an art piece, which I can deal with.

Also watched dank. It's older but I had never seen it before so I watched it on Netflix and it wasn't what I was expecting at all. The description of it was very vague but I love Ellen Page and I like Patrick Wilson so I decided to give it a go. Very good if you like suspenseful movies without all the special fx of a hollywood blockbuster with a B script.
Cutsman

Postby rafael1188 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:22 pm

OutofStaat wrote:Thinking about seeing Drive, Our Idiot Brother, Contagion or The Guard this weekend. Any suggestions? Also, after viewing the trailer and looking at the website for Melancholia, I can gladly say this is my most anticipated movie of the year.

whatever you do, DONT watch Our Idiot Brother, fucking awful :smt011

edit: Agreed with Genu, grave encounters was terrible...I mean wasn't expecting much from it in the first place but it disappointed on a far greater scale.
rafael1188

Postby McLegs » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:29 pm

Cutsman wrote:About to have a Ryan Gosling marathon for no apparent reason.

nightgaunt is SPINNING in his grave
McLegs

Postby like weeds » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Anyone know when Kill List gets a US release?
like weeds

Postby Сталкер » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:47 pm

i loved the shit out of Drive, easily my favorite movie of the year so far, have yet to see The Tree of Life though.
Сталкер

Postby ShackedxDown » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:56 pm

Lilja 4-Ever. I can't stop thinking about it. It really hits on an emotional level, not ashamed to say I cried when I saw it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqrQBJNDMgo[/youtube]
Plays here for free
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2818582001271029300
ShackedxDown

Postby OutofStaat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:44 am

Сталкер wrote:i loved the shit out of Drive.
OutofStaat

Postby pump it up » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:22 pm

I really want to see Drive and Tree of Life. That is all.
pump it up

Postby foodgazi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:25 pm

A few different Tree Of Life torrents went up. They look like pretty decent quality, I'd still wait for the DVD/blu-ray but if you can wait no longer, it's out there.
foodgazi

Postby unholy living dead » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:24 pm

i enjoyed Lilja 4-Ever when i was watching a few of Lukas Moodysson's films months ago, however, i find some of the non-diegetic music distracting, in particular the metal stuff around the beginning and end when Lilja is running around. it's still a very good, sad movie. i personally like Fucking Åmål and Together more.

as for right now, i have no idea what to watch next... any recommendation would be lovely.
unholy living dead

Postby GrizzlyBlair » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:31 pm

I felt like shit this weekend, so I watched a few movies.

Something Borrowed may have the most unintentionally unlikable characters in any movie ever. Still, it was better than I expected.

Porky's will always be my favorite comedy film. It never gets old.

Basket Case - stupid horror fun. I love it.
GrizzlyBlair

Postby Сталкер » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:53 pm

foodgazi wrote:A few different Tree Of Life torrents went up. They look like pretty decent quality, I'd still wait for the DVD/blu-ray but if you can wait no longer, it's out there.

Blu-Ray rips leaked today, fucking pumped.
Сталкер

Postby GrizzlyBlair » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:00 pm

Stoked to go see Drive tomorrow. Has anyone seen Straw Dogs yet?
GrizzlyBlair

Postby OutofStaat » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:15 am

GrizzlyBlair wrote:Stoked to go see Drive tomorrow. Has anyone seen Straw Dogs yet?

No but thats definitely on my list! I need to go movie hopping one of these days and catch up on this and a couple others I want to see.
OutofStaat

Postby Stankovic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:43 am

I've been on a good run with movies lately. My university had a Outdoors-Cinema-festival last weekend. We had an old Projector and a screen in the centre of an old Barracks-type of setting. The Highlights were definetly Akira Kurosawas Dersu Uzala and Andrei Tarkovskis STALKER.

Also, The Tree Of Life.. Mind blown. Absolutely beautiful. Best movie-experience in awhile. But it definetly splits opinions. IMO it was probably Malick's best yet. Although The Thin Red Line is still one of the best war-movies ever made.
Stankovic

Postby Stankovic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:45 am

Too many superlatives :smt003
Stankovic

Postby aaronalive » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:32 am

Watched Reservoir Dogs last night for the first time in awhile. Still holds up as one of the best ever.
aaronalive

Postby genu » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:51 am

Stankovic wrote: Akira Kurosawas Dersu Uzala

good movie.
genu

Postby k-shaps » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Drive is what would happen if Michael Mann made a slow paced Le Samourai. Great performances all around, a killer score, unusual but great pacing, and cool and clean cinematography, oh yeah and some intense violence. It is definitely in my top five of the year and I highly recommend it.
k-shaps

Postby school bus » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:26 pm

posting
school bus
fascinated by dune coon dongs

PreviousNext