Film Thread

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Alex 2K » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:30 pm

WONDERSTRUCK


TODD HAYNES


OMFG
User avatar
Alex 2K
 
Posts: 22092
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:47 am

Postby Stormy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:36 pm

God how i miss illustrated poster art / movie covers. The '50s/'60s was king of that shit.
Yeah, that Wind River design is awful. I'll still wind up watching it a dozen more times in the next year though.
Stormy
 
Posts: 9706
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:48 pm

Postby the religion lie » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:30 pm

Stormy wrote:God how i miss illustrated poster art / movie covers. The '50s/'60s was king of that shit.
Yeah, that Wind River design is awful. I'll still wind up watching it a dozen more times in the next year though.

Check out Tony Stella on IG/Twitter - dude is seriously obsessed with vintage and hand drawn poster art and it's awesome. https://www.instagram.com/studiotstella/

I keep putting off buying Under the Skin in the hopes that it will get a release with a cover worth owning.
User avatar
the religion lie
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:45 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby lajoie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:12 am

What a steaming pile of pretentious dog shit "The Square" is. I finally saw it last night and I really wish I hadn't. Three hours of filming minutia of a privileged middle aged Swedish man. There is one good / funny scene (The chimp man at the dinner) but god what a waste of film. How the fuck did that get good reviews? I kept waiting for something to happen. Some sort of real conflict or dialog in the story. But no. The movie to me was: "What if people in Stockholm, who have the highest standard of living anywhere in the world, did not have a police force to deal with petty crime and annoyances, and what if this man gets robbed but gets his stuff back?...oh that is all resolved in the first 30 mins?.....why not just follow this man around more for 2 hours as he does absolutely nothing."
User avatar
lajoie
 
Posts: 5653
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 8:57 am
Location: VT/ AZ

Postby kylec123 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:21 pm

the religion lie wrote:
Stormy wrote:I keep putting off buying Under the Skin in the hopes that it will get a release with a cover worth owning.

I realize this isn't illustrated, but I own this:
Spoiler: show
Image

It's long sold out now though.
This same company put a 2nd edition out, you can buy it here:
Spoiler: show
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNDER-THE-SKIN-Blu-ray-Full-Slip-Case-Scarlett-Johansson-Region-A/262336610442

Released by a Korean company. It will play in Region A players.
kylec123
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:13 pm
Location: Memphis

Postby The Lowest One » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:19 pm

Landline was fucking excellent. I've said it before, but Jenny Slate is a national treasure. God, I love her.
The Lowest One
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:10 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Postby The Lowest One » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Edie Falco was also lovely. Really, the whole cast was great.



ALSO... On a different note, decided to watch Office Christmas Party. It brought nothing new to the table, but it wasn't bad at all for a funny Christmas flick.
The Lowest One
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:10 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Postby Stormy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:55 pm

The Lowest One wrote:Edie Falco was also lovely. Really, the whole cast was great.



ALSO... On a different note, decided to watch Office Christmas Party. It brought nothing new to the table, but it wasn't bad at all for a funny Christmas flick.


I can't seem to watch any post-Silicon Valley T.J. Miller without thinking how annoying he is in real life.
Stormy
 
Posts: 9706
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:48 pm

Postby the religion lie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:35 pm

kylec123 wrote:
the religion lie wrote:
Stormy wrote:I keep putting off buying Under the Skin in the hopes that it will get a release with a cover worth owning.

I realize this isn't illustrated, but I own this:
Spoiler: show
Image

It's long sold out now though.
This same company put a 2nd edition out, you can buy it here:
Spoiler: show
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNDER-THE-SKIN-Blu-ray-Full-Slip-Case-Scarlett-Johansson-Region-A/262336610442

Released by a Korean company. It will play in Region A players.

This is awesome and exactly what I'd hope the release would look like. Thanks for the heads up!
User avatar
the religion lie
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:45 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Check Your Sources » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:43 pm

today in class we watched that fucked up traffic jam scene from Weekend.

Wow.
User avatar
Check Your Sources
USA! USA! USA!
 
Posts: 5703
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:38 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby jaredfromsubway » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:56 pm



I was watching Violent Cop today, which is a tight movie. It made me look into when is Takeshi Kitano's next movie coming out. Turns out the 3rd Outrage movie is already out overseas. Fuck, I can't wait to see it.
jaredfromsubway
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Buena Park, CA

Postby benten » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:06 am

Check Your Sources wrote:today in class we watched that fucked up traffic jam scene from Weekend.

Wow.


I remember watching this for the first time, in my first film class also. Good times.
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7889
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

Postby The Lowest One » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:36 am

Stormy wrote:
The Lowest One wrote:Edie Falco was also lovely. Really, the whole cast was great.



ALSO... On a different note, decided to watch Office Christmas Party. It brought nothing new to the table, but it wasn't bad at all for a funny Christmas flick.


I can't seem to watch any post-Silicon Valley T.J. Miller without thinking how annoying he is in real life.



Yeah, he really showed himself to be a pretty big dick. I didn't even give the HBO special a chance because it looked so bad. That said, for what the movie was, he wasn't bad or unwatchable for me.
The Lowest One
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:10 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Postby flask1203 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:28 am

The Shape of Water was so good. GDT is just so sincere in his craft and it sounds hokey but you can just tell he loves making movies and telling stories. Sally Hawkins is flawless.
User avatar
flask1203
 
Posts: 3314
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:57 am
Location: CA

Postby jaredfromsubway » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:29 am

lala fuck you wrote:When doesbscreener season starts?


Just read an article about how the screeners getting released for Louis Ck's unreleased movie and it mentioned that sites like Pirate Bay aren't planning to release awards screeners until after Chrkstmas
jaredfromsubway
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Buena Park, CA

Postby Bomb Bomb Diddy!!! » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:28 am

jaredfromsubway wrote:

I was watching Violent Cop today, which is a tight movie. It made me look into when is Takeshi Kitano's next movie coming out. Turns out the 3rd Outrage movie is already out overseas. Fuck, I can't wait to see it.

Love Kitano. This looks tight.
User avatar
Bomb Bomb Diddy!!!
 
Posts: 5436
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:30 pm
Location: Gallifrey

Postby benten » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:12 am

Has anyone actually seen Roman J. Israel Esq.? Denzel, unexpectedly to pundits, got nominations from SAG AND Golden Globes. It played here from Wednesday of Thanksgiving week to Sunday. 5 days.
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7889
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

Postby jaredfromsubway » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:38 am

Denzel is great in it, the movie on the other hand, is a mess
jaredfromsubway
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Buena Park, CA

Postby radiatedradiation » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:32 am

Caught Three Billboards last night. Didn't really know anything about it and really enjoyed it. I thought the ending was slightly lame but that is a normal opinion from me. Frances McDormand is hard as nails and Woody Harrelson is hilarious/great as usual.
User avatar
radiatedradiation
 
Posts: 6767
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: FL

Postby benten » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:10 pm

Woody was the best thing about that movie. Glad he got nominated for SAG award.
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7889
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

Postby Alex 2K » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:37 pm

The best Denzel performances are when they don't feel like Denzel performances. I wouldn't say the movie is a "mess", but it doesn't really go anywhere or do anything outside of his really interesting performance. Though I love Colin in p much everything he does.
User avatar
Alex 2K
 
Posts: 22092
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:47 am

Postby Alex 2K » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:42 pm

Holly Hunter!
User avatar
Alex 2K
 
Posts: 22092
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:47 am

Postby Alex 2K » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Woman's SAG noms are pretty on point. No DDL though...............
User avatar
Alex 2K
 
Posts: 22092
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:47 am

Postby benten » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:15 pm

Alex 2K wrote:Woman's SAG noms are pretty on point. No DDL though...............


SAG screeners issue that happens every year for the last five or so...they voted before seeing Phantom Thread, and The Post.
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7889
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

Postby Alex 2K » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:48 pm

I read some comments that said they got the screeners for the two movies, just that they got them real late.
User avatar
Alex 2K
 
Posts: 22092
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:47 am

Postby Cletis Vandamme » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:38 am

Alex 2K wrote:WONDERSTRUCK


TODD HAYNES


OMFG


My dude. It's so good.
User avatar
Cletis Vandamme
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:50 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Classic » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:51 am

benten wrote:Woody was the best thing about that movie. Glad he got nominated for SAG award.

The scene where he’s narrating was one of my favourites in that movie.
User avatar
Classic
 
Posts: 4199
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:40 am
Location: Edmonton

Postby MODULOK » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:36 am

Image
User avatar
MODULOK
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:30 am
Location: TERNI - Italy

Postby spsp » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:21 pm

benten wrote:
Check Your Sources wrote:today in class we watched that fucked up traffic jam scene from Weekend.

Wow.


I remember watching this for the first time, in my first film class also. Good times.


Same. And Maya Deren's At Land. And Battleship Potemkin.
User avatar
spsp
 
Posts: 7653
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Hudson Valley, NY

Postby Lil Meatsauce » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:47 pm

lajoie wrote:damn, Del Toro killed it with The Shape of Water.

Sally Hawkins is a babe in this movie. :smt007

Spoiler: show
I gasped at Del Toro breaking the 4th wall with monster in the movie theater shot


Movie was a joy to watch. Every time the creature ate eggs I thought of Abe Sapien.

Sally Hawkins is such a wonderful actress..the most captivating smile in film!

Michael Shannon does sinister better than almost anyone.
Last edited by Lil Meatsauce on Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Lil Meatsauce
 
Posts: 17269
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby jaredfromsubway » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:01 pm

Darkest Hour is just a one man show for Gary Oldman, and that's pretty much it
jaredfromsubway
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Buena Park, CA

Postby benten » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Did not care for Last Jedi much. It's fine, but there's some straight up pacing tankers that just coulda been left out completely. I'm Still 0% on Rian Johnson movies.
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7889
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

Postby jaredfromsubway » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:59 pm

I thought it was pretty good, but it did have some corny moments and the humor didn't work for me. I do think it's best Star Wars from a visual perspective.

Just bought my ticket for Phantom Thread shown in 70mm on Christmas Day
jaredfromsubway
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Buena Park, CA

Postby benten » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:08 pm

However, I absolutely loved Disaster Artist. Franco is nuts man. He's very good.
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7889
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

Postby jaredfromsubway » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:51 pm

I enjoyed The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Maki, very lighthearted and endearing for a boxing movie. Felt like Truffaut directed a sports biopic.
jaredfromsubway
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Buena Park, CA

Postby Check Your Sources » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:59 pm

I saw Coco with my girl and liked it. Was surprised.
User avatar
Check Your Sources
USA! USA! USA!
 
Posts: 5703
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:38 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby benten » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:30 am

this time of year always gets me frustrated waiting to see big movies...like Shape of Water, Call Me by Your Name, The Post, Phantom Thread.

interesting stat, no film released after November has won Best Picture since Million Dollar BAYBAYYYYYY in 2004, 13 years ago.
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7889
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

Postby I gave you power » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:25 am

Watched Punch Drunk Love for the first time and man, that was a really enjoyable movie. PTA's directing really shines but it's extremely well-casted and a legitimately great performance from Sandler.

After I watched I went and read Ebert's review on it an this is the last line:

It may be the key to all of the Adam Sandler films, and may liberate Sandler for a new direction in his work. He can't go on making those moronic comedies forever, can he? Who would have guessed he had such uncharted depths?


L-O-L
User avatar
I gave you power
9
 
Posts: 56012
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:27 pm
Location: Stunna Island

Postby SOULJA BOY TELL'EM. » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:42 am


Looks good but I wish Villeneuve or Deakins were involved.
User avatar
SOULJA BOY TELL'EM.
the weather outside is weather
 
Posts: 21636
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:50 pm

Postby ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:49 am

Even without DV directing I am very excited for Sicario 2.
Last edited by ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe
In the Valley of the Dolls
 
Posts: 33340
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:12 am
Location: toronto

Postby jaredfromsubway » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:50 am

Taylor Sheridan wrote it at least, looks promising
jaredfromsubway
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Buena Park, CA

Postby benten » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:07 am

I gave you power wrote:Watched Punch Drunk Love for the first time and man, that was a really enjoyable movie. PTA's directing really shines but it's extremely well-casted and a legitimately great performance from Sandler.

After I watched I went and read Ebert's review on it an this is the last line:

It may be the key to all of the Adam Sandler films, and may liberate Sandler for a new direction in his work. He can't go on making those moronic comedies forever, can he? Who would have guessed he had such uncharted depths?


L-O-L


Ha!

See, Rog, one of these days there's going to be a thing called Netflix, and they will actually give him millions of dollars to make like 5 moronic comedies, and they wont even play in theaters, but people will still watch them!

Ok so he did Meyerowitz Stories which was good but still
User avatar
benten
 
Posts: 7889
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: JC, TN

Postby Stormy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:50 pm

Watched an obscure '70s flick last night called The Friends of Eddie Coyle with Robert Mitchum as the main character, and Peter Boyle and some other familiar '70s staple faces (the guy who played Moe Green in Godfather was one). Super realistic and gritty crime flick, kinda like Straight Time with Dustin Hoffman in that way. I thought it was excellent.
Stormy
 
Posts: 9706
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:48 pm

Postby lajoie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:59 pm

SOULJA BOY TELL'EM. wrote:
Looks good but I wish Villeneuve or Deakins were involved.


oh yes. :smt007

Saw Sicario 1 with Degradation when it first came out. Such a great movie. I hope this holds up.
User avatar
lajoie
 
Posts: 5653
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 8:57 am
Location: VT/ AZ

Postby The Unabomber's Hoodie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:09 pm

Stormy wrote:Watched an obscure '70s flick last night called The Friends of Eddie Coyle with Robert Mitchum as the main character, and Peter Boyle and some other familiar '70s staple faces (the guy who played Moe Green in Godfather was one). Super realistic and gritty crime flick, kinda like Straight Time with Dustin Hoffman in that way. I thought it was excellent.

Underrated classic right there. Great ending too, some very 70's style nihilism. I've probably brought this one up before, but have you ever seen Blast of Silence? Not really that well known, but IMO one of the best dark gangster films of all time. From 1961.

I saw Get Out finally and it was ...alright? Not sure what I'm missing here.
User avatar
The Unabomber's Hoodie
 
Posts: 3395
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: Long Island

Postby sayword!! » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:21 pm

Watched some freeks. Very good
sayword!!
 
Posts: 1593
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:15 pm

Postby jaredfromsubway » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:19 pm

The Unabomber's Hoodie wrote:
Stormy wrote:Watched an obscure '70s flick last night called The Friends of Eddie Coyle with Robert Mitchum as the main character, and Peter Boyle and some other familiar '70s staple faces (the guy who played Moe Green in Godfather was one). Super realistic and gritty crime flick, kinda like Straight Time with Dustin Hoffman in that way. I thought it was excellent.

Underrated classic right there. Great ending too, some very 70's style nihilism. I've probably brought this one up before, but have you ever seen Blast of Silence? Not really that well known, but IMO one of the best dark gangster films of all time. From 1961.

I saw Get Out finally and it was ...alright? Not sure what I'm missing here.


Blast of Silence rules

The Friends of Eddie Coyle rules too
jaredfromsubway
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Buena Park, CA

Postby Lil Meatsauce » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:36 pm

the friends of eddie coyle is one of my favorite books. i never bothered with checking out the film but these posts have gotten my attention.
User avatar
Lil Meatsauce
 
Posts: 17269
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby MODULOK » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:54 pm

Image
Image
User avatar
MODULOK
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:30 am
Location: TERNI - Italy

Postby Bomb Bomb Diddy!!! » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Lil Meatsauce wrote:the friends of eddie coyle is one of my favorite books. i never bothered with checking out the film but these posts have gotten my attention.

Read the book and been meaning to check out the film
User avatar
Bomb Bomb Diddy!!!
 
Posts: 5436
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:30 pm
Location: Gallifrey

PreviousNext


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andydansby, antipasto, Google [Bot], lewdson.v2, madcavalry, TheFrictionAndSkin and 38 guests