B9 POWERLIFTING/BOSU BALL SQUAT THREAD: STILL 500

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby do the uganda » Sat May 21, 2011 2:33 pm

NO CROSSFIT
do the uganda
HAS A GINORMOUS DICK

Postby funnyndumb » Sat May 21, 2011 2:42 pm

Got any good strength training plan I could use?

That has been most effective, of course.
funnyndumb

Postby jordan. » Sat May 21, 2011 2:44 pm

I was about to make this thread. Glad it finally happened.

Strength programs:

5/3/1
Sheiko
Westside Barbell
Texas 3x5
jordan.
Most jacked dude on the b9

Postby do the uganda » Sat May 21, 2011 2:53 pm

posted it in the other thread, but i dont plan on posting in it anymore. just doing some form work. i have issues driving my hips and getting my back up before i initiate the pull. if you can hear chris he gives some good instruction for anyone who pulls sumo. also first time in briefs.

do the uganda
HAS A GINORMOUS DICK

Postby FatBrad » Sat May 21, 2011 2:57 pm

Those are the same problems I have. However, when I would manage to pull with everything firing at the same time, the weight FLEW off of the ground. That's an toomey video, man. I'd love to see other form videos with coaching if you do them some more.
FatBrad

Postby funnyndumb » Sat May 21, 2011 3:08 pm

soo... how much can the dude from Harm's Way bench/lift or whatever?
funnyndumb

Postby covpride » Sat May 21, 2011 3:18 pm

Hopefully this thread stays on point. Have an upper respiratory infection, having to miss a few days in the gym, may try to do a deload week next week. Just tired of being sick.
covpride

Postby calpurnacuzbalthazar » Sat May 21, 2011 3:50 pm

I think I need to join a new gym the VCU is great and all but I'm thinking a smaller one where I would meet people with similar strength training goals and people who knew what they were talking about would be fantastic. So far I've just been working out alone and I don't have a video phone so I have noone to check my form.

Also watched the 30 years of pain strongman documentary on youtube, those people are so fucking impressive and aweinspiringly powerful, def got me amped!

Uganda what made you decide to pull sumo? does it work the back as much as a narrow stance? idk if my question makes sense I just wanna know pros cons sumo vs closer
calpurnacuzbalthazar

Postby troytalkshow » Sat May 21, 2011 3:51 pm

i like doing power cleans starting from the ground.
sometimes, i even do a snatch!
troytalkshow

Postby do the uganda » Sat May 21, 2011 4:07 pm

calpurnacuzbalthazar wrote:I think I need to join a new gym the VCU is great and all but I'm thinking a smaller one where I would meet people with similar strength training goals and people who knew what they were talking about would be fantastic. So far I've just been working out alone and I don't have a video phone so I have noone to check my form.

Also watched the 30 years of pain strongman documentary on youtube, those people are so fucking impressive and aweinspiringly powerful, def got me amped!

Uganda what made you decide to pull sumo? does it work the back as much as a narrow stance? idk if my question makes sense I just wanna know pros cons sumo vs closer

Sumo = shorter range of motion. Plus its more comfortable for me. More hips and pc than pulling conventional. I think it has better carryover to your squat but I've yet to see it.
do the uganda
HAS A GINORMOUS DICK

Postby whitehorses » Sat May 21, 2011 4:16 pm

moved back home from school last week, so now I'm actually giving 5/3/1 the time and effort it deserves. it's great to be under a barbell again as opposed to dumbbells up to 50lbs in my building at school.

I took videos of my bench and deadlift, and waiting for the squat to post all three of them. I know I could use a lot of coaching.

goals are to gain mass and strength. (duh).
whitehorses

Postby Bill Bloodnick » Sat May 21, 2011 4:18 pm

work on rack pulls to get the hip drive in your deadlift and start an olympic routine from doing snatches and cleans your other lifts will go up and become more explosive and i love doing shit like one legged squats and deadlifts
Bill Bloodnick

Postby CJxxx » Sat May 21, 2011 4:20 pm

Going over to my dad's place to grill the shit out of ribs, chicken, sausage, etc. Gonna eat so much fucking food, had such a nice military press day yesterday. Gonna slay squats this week.
CJxxx

Postby HoldxStrong » Sat May 21, 2011 4:30 pm

jordan. wrote:I was about to make this thread. Glad it finally happened.

Strength programs:

5/3/1
Sheiko
Westside Barbell
Texas 3x5

I used to do a lot of 5/3/1 and Texas 3x5. And work on perfect form. If you lift a heavy weight but your form is off, it doesn't count. You're gonna hurt yourself in progress or physically in the end.
HoldxStrong

Postby konsol » Sat May 21, 2011 4:31 pm

do the uganda wrote:konsol, i made a picture for you to illustrate what you need to fix.

[resize]http://i52.tinypic.com/25akk06.jpg,200[/resize]

this is the frame where you start the pull. you can see how far past the bar your shoulders are. you can also see how rounded your back is (excuse the squiggly line, i only have paint on my computer). these can both be fixed if you get your ass lower.

Ok so today I shot for a lower ass and feel that I got it. I know the camera angels are off but I still think the starting angle looks a decent amount deeper. Midpull to me it looks like a problem I'm having is letting my shoulders come too far forward and not pulling tight enough with my scapula (looks really bad). I feel like next week I'm going to try pulling wider and see what effect that has along with trying to keep my upper back really tight. Also, following the pulls today I did parallel box squats @ 185x2x8, and then below parallel box squats at 135x2x3. Any other suggestions anyone thinks might help in this situation?

[resize]http://i51.tinypic.com/wtwy3d.jpg,580[/resize]
[resize]http://i56.tinypic.com/2vvnvdh.jpg,580[/resize]
[resize]http://i51.tinypic.com/10qe4ox.jpg,580[/resize]
konsol

Postby do the uganda » Sat May 21, 2011 4:58 pm

konsol wrote:
do the uganda wrote:konsol, i made a picture for you to illustrate what you need to fix.

this is the frame where you start the pull. you can see how far past the bar your shoulders are. you can also see how rounded your back is (excuse the squiggly line, i only have paint on my computer). these can both be fixed if you get your ass lower.

Ok so today I shot for a lower ass and feel that I got it. I know the camera angels are off but I still think the starting angle looks a decent amount deeper. Midpull to me it looks like a problem I'm having is letting my shoulders come too far forward and not pulling tight enough with my scapula (looks really bad). I feel like next week I'm going to try pulling wider and see what effect that has along with trying to keep my upper back really tight. Also, following the pulls today I did parallel box squats @ 185x2x8, and then below parallel box squats at 135x2x3. Any other suggestions anyone thinks might help in this situation?

[resize]http://i51.tinypic.com/wtwy3d.jpg,200[/resize]
[resize]http://i56.tinypic.com/2vvnvdh.jpg,200[/resize]
[resize]http://i51.tinypic.com/10qe4ox.jpg,200[/resize]

Dude, awesome. Now destroy weights.
do the uganda
HAS A GINORMOUS DICK

Postby do the uganda » Sat May 21, 2011 5:00 pm

Bill Bloodnick wrote:work on rack pulls to get the hip drive in your deadlift and start an olympic routine from doing snatches and cleans your other lifts will go up and become more explosive and i love doing shit like one legged squats and deadlifts

Rack pulls shouldn't recruit your hips all that much. If you are trying to work on hip drive, box squats with a wide stance.
do the uganda
HAS A GINORMOUS DICK

Postby konsol » Sat May 21, 2011 5:06 pm

Uganda: were you pulling conventional before that video of you being coached? What did the change do to your numbers?
konsol

Postby KilluhDrew » Sat May 21, 2011 5:10 pm

shouldnt konsol try to arch his back a little?
KilluhDrew

Postby RobbyFred » Sat May 21, 2011 5:15 pm

posting
RobbyFred

Postby do the uganda » Sat May 21, 2011 5:40 pm

KilluhDrew wrote:shouldnt konsol try to arch his back a little?

sure, but he got his shoulders over the bar which is what i recommened.

konsol wrote:Uganda: were you pulling conventional before that video of you being coached? What did the change do to your numbers?

when i started pulling sumo my numbers dropped due to hip weakness. eventually i was able to pull more sumo than conventional. and now that im revisiting my form issues the weight has dropped again.
do the uganda
HAS A GINORMOUS DICK

Postby Americn Justice » Sat May 21, 2011 5:42 pm

So since I do 531 I can post? Sweet. Had a really good military press day. Only problem is I feel like I can do a lot more, but I'm trying to stick as close to the system as possible and see the results before I do something stupid. Today was the 5 day and I got 105 for 8 reps. Then did sets of chinups, dips, db military 4x10, db shrugs, power cleans 4x10. Finally decided to throw on 135 for power cleans but could only do 3 reps after the previous sets.
Americn Justice

Postby konsol » Sat May 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Americn Justice wrote:So since I do 531 I can post? Sweet. Had a really good military press day. Only problem is I feel like I can do a lot more, but I'm trying to stick as close to the system as possible and see the results before I do something stupid. Today was the 5 day and I got 105 for 8 reps. Then did sets of chinups, dips, db military 4x10, db shrugs, power cleans 4x10. Finally decided to throw on 135 for power cleans but could only do 3 reps after the previous sets.

On your x1 day, if you get the first rep of whatever weight you're doing pretty easily, just add 10lbs, try it again, if it's still easy do 1 rep and then add a little more. Don't do it every time, but here and there it isn't bad to get an idea of your progression.
konsol

Postby 666pack » Sat May 21, 2011 7:01 pm

do the uganda wrote:
konsol wrote:

Dude, toomey. Now destroy weights.

seriously. toomey how you took that and just worked it out then relined it. pull is probably so much faster
666pack
jacked and tanned

Postby 666pack » Sat May 21, 2011 7:09 pm

LOL
[youtube]XezcatooVnM&[/youtube]

and definately wanna mute this next one....just trust me hit the mute button and play other music overtop. facepalm.
[youtube]waZ_hxO7jhw&[/youtube]
666pack
jacked and tanned

Postby konsol » Sat May 21, 2011 7:46 pm

666pack wrote:
do the uganda wrote:
konsol wrote:

seriously. toomey how you took that and just worked it out then relined it. pull is probably so much faster

The 320 was probably a half a second slower than the 315 from the week before. I think it was mainly due activating different muscles at the start that I wasn't used to. I'm sure it'll be a big improvement in a couple sessions.
konsol

Postby 666pack » Sat May 21, 2011 8:44 pm

give it time man. once it becomes muscle memory youll see what i mean.
666pack
jacked and tanned

Postby 666pack » Sat May 21, 2011 8:54 pm

[youtube]W_UXQKjyNsY#at[/youtube]

[youtube]ZgGGWK5vXQM&[/youtube]
666pack
jacked and tanned

Postby the wiz » Sat May 21, 2011 8:57 pm

fuck yeah. I'm a member at two gyms now that are both close, so this summer should be a good one for strength gains.

I feel like my grip is ruining my potential on some of my pulls though. I've been following the exercises here: http://www.grapplearts.com/Grip-Strength-Training.htm but it's been slow progress and my hands are fucking completely burnt out by the end of the week hahah.
the wiz

Postby M.X.X.I.V » Sat May 21, 2011 9:02 pm

Please excuse my ignorance but what other training(be it strength, cardio, etc) do you gentlemen/ladies(maybe) do other then your dead lifts or whatever else. I mean is this a part of a group of exercises you guys do

I only ask because I find this really interesting since its so far outside of my weekly routines.
M.X.X.I.V

Postby do the uganda » Sat May 21, 2011 9:08 pm

M.X.X.I.V wrote:Please excuse my ignorance but what other training(be it strength, cardio, etc) do you gentlemen/ladies(maybe) do other then your dead lifts or whatever else. I mean is this a part of a group of exercises you guys do

I only ask because I find this really interesting since its so far outside of my weekly routines.

Other than following my conjugate method programming, I occasionally do GPP just for conditioning.
do the uganda
HAS A GINORMOUS DICK

Postby do the uganda » Sat May 21, 2011 9:13 pm

the wiz wrote:fuck yeah. I'm a member at two gyms now that are both close, so this summer should be a good one for strength gains.

I feel like my grip is ruining my potential on some of my pulls though. I've been following the exercises here: http://www.grapplearts.com/Grip-Strength-Training.htm but it's been slow progress and my hands are fucking completely burnt out by the end of the week hahah.

These are good but won't necessarily carry over into grip strength for deadlift. Static holds, farmers walks, fat grips, and overloading with rack pulls really helped my pulling grip. Eric posted something about good grip exercises before, maybe he could do it again. You didn't specify, are you using mixed grip and chalk?
do the uganda
HAS A GINORMOUS DICK

Postby 700 lb Deadlift » Sat May 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Americn Justice wrote:So since I do 531 I can post? Sweet. Had a really good military press day. Only problem is I feel like I can do a lot more, but I'm trying to stick as close to the system as possible and see the results before I do something stupid. Today was the 5 day and I got 105 for 8 reps. Then did sets of chinups, dips, db military 4x10, db shrugs, power cleans 4x10. Finally decided to throw on 135 for power cleans but could only do 3 reps after the previous sets.

Ditch the DB shrugs.
Never do power cleans for 10 reps! Wendler even mentioned in his recent 5/3/1 for PL ebook to never do more than three reps per set. I myself prefer singles i.e. resting 10 seconds or so between each rep.
700 lb Deadlift

Postby EBIMBIB » Sat May 21, 2011 9:49 pm

i have the weirdest boner right now
EBIMBIB

Postby brandonsux » Sat May 21, 2011 10:03 pm

EBIMBIB wrote:i have the weirdest boner right now
brandonsux

Postby daveofstrength » Sat May 21, 2011 10:04 pm

how often do you guys train a week?

for the longest time i have been 5 days on 2 days off

i am currently considering a revision, i may be overtraining as i spend a good 1.25 to 1.5 hours in the gym in total with conditioning/cardio all combined
daveofstrength

Postby jordan. » Sat May 21, 2011 10:39 pm

I was doing Mon/Tues/Thurs/Sat with Westside.

Now for my "Sheiko" training comp (which is really just Westside without a box squat) I'm training Mon/Wed/Fri up until the competition. Squatting twice a week rules and I'm doing a lot of conventional deads and rack pulls. I'll post videos this week for updates.
jordan.
Most jacked dude on the b9

Postby MoshDeLaney » Sat May 21, 2011 10:42 pm

Took this week off because with everyone I've had going on recently my body was useless in the gym. Starting a new job and my next round of 5/3/1 on Monday. Time for serious gains
MoshDeLaney

Postby do the uganda » Sat May 21, 2011 10:50 pm

4 day traditional conjugate except I switch out DE squat with ME deadlift every once in awhile
do the uganda
HAS A GINORMOUS DICK

Postby hellsBARbells » Sat May 21, 2011 10:51 pm

Postin
hellsBARbells

Postby Ben!315 » Sat May 21, 2011 11:55 pm

konsol wrote:
666pack wrote:
do the uganda wrote:
konsol wrote:

The 320 was probably a half a second slower than the 315 from the week before. I think it was mainly due activating different muscles at the start that I wasn't used to. I'm sure it'll be a big improvement in a couple sessions.

I felt like my main problem was not lowering my ass enough and two days ago I pulled 335 faster than the 315 I had been pulling for weeks. Felt so good to get better form and be able to up the weight I was lifting. Today was bench day and it went toomey. Really worked on my form and tried to get some solid reps in at 185 and 195 without a spot. Bench is definitely my weakest lift and I really needed a day like today to make me realize the progress that I'm making.
Ben!315

Postby whitehorses » Sun May 22, 2011 12:35 am

fuck it, here's my bench & deadlift vids.

http://vimeo.com/user7164735

I workout in my basement, which is very limited space but I make do with what I have. I cannot join a proper gym, due to not having any $$$.

like I said before, haven't been near a barbell in months so I know I'm going to need a lot of form critique.

thanks in advance.
whitehorses

Postby niggamortis II » Sun May 22, 2011 12:40 am

posting to keep up and get knowledge. glad a new thread was made because the other was getting whack.
niggamortis II

Postby 666pack » Sun May 22, 2011 4:49 am

do the uganda wrote:
the wiz wrote:fuck yeah. I'm a member at two gyms now that are both close, so this summer should be a good one for strength gains.

These are good but won't necessarily carry over into grip strength for deadlift. Static holds, farmers walks, fat grips, and overloading with rack pulls really helped my pulling grip. Eric posted something about good grip exercises before, maybe he could do it again. You didn't specify, are you using mixed grip and chalk?

[youtube]mgZsZ7vbAYw&[/youtube]

also pushdowns with a towel and pull ups with a towel. and fat grips are really going to help if you pick up a pair.
666pack
jacked and tanned

Postby 666pack » Sun May 22, 2011 4:52 am

westside template mon tues thurs and fri.

on wed i do traps bis and calves. on weekends i try to get at least 1 kettlebell workout if possible. going to be doing massive sledgehammer work soon.
666pack
jacked and tanned

Postby DBC » Sun May 22, 2011 5:04 am

Yo
DBC

Postby Hardline Mike » Sun May 22, 2011 7:39 am

brandonsux wrote:
EBIMBIB wrote:i have the weirdest boner right now
Hardline Mike

Postby do the uganda » Sun May 22, 2011 9:53 am

whitehorses wrote:fuck it, here's my bench & deadlift vids.

http://vimeo.com/user7164735

I workout in my basement, which is very limited space but I make do with what I have. I cannot join a proper gym, due to not having any $$$.

like I said before, haven't been near a barbell in months so I know I'm going to need a lot of form critique.

thanks in advance.

1. Deadlift
First of all, i would highly recommend you build a platform, dont lift on concrete. all you need is a couple laters of plywood and some rubber mats that you can get from a livestock feed store. you can find links on how to make a platform. concrete offers no traction and eventually you will cause damage to it and your weights. as far as form goes you start off with a common problem of pulling with two different motions. your hips go up first and then you lock out the weight with nothing but your back. it needs to be one fluid movement. as your set progresses it gets more obvious. the bar also is way too far from your shins. you should literally be dragging the bar up your shins. if you arent tearing off skin from the knurling, you arent pulling close enough (one you get that down wear long socks it will help with the bleeding). also, if you are going to being pulling for reps i found its more useful to give a brief pause in between reps. take the time to set it back up. you are bouncing and going and the bar is getting further away from you each time. set the weight down, reset your grip, pulll the bar back to you, get your posture right and then pull.

2. Bench
Your bench form looked alright from that angle. a couple things you should work on though. take a little more time setting up your arch. one thing that helped me alot is to lay on the bench with my feet on it and arch so i could really feel the pressure in my traps, then placing my feet. when you unrack the weight, you are just locking it out. instead you should be using your lats to pull the weight out to you. its probably hard because of your set up. we bench on a comp bench at my gym and the J hooks are barely existant so its easier to pull it out. you might want to make some sort of change to your rack to make that easier. next, you do a good job of keeping your forearms perpendicular on your way back up, but your elbows get way past your wrists on the way down. to correct that you have to grip the shit out of the bar. like you are trying to bend it in half. last recommendation i would make it putting something heavy at the base of that wood rack because its an accident just waiting to happen. good job posting a form check video though, its more than what most people in the other thread have done.
do the uganda
HAS A GINORMOUS DICK

Postby Americn Justice » Sun May 22, 2011 9:59 am

I've only been training since September, on the 7th week of 531 right now. Going to try to get a squat / deadlift video up soon as I have had 0 tips on my form.
Americn Justice

Postby Give thanks » Sun May 22, 2011 10:27 am

666pack wrote:
do the uganda wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi6qsnbJ_bA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgZsZ7vbAYw&

also pushdowns with a towel and pull ups with a towel. and fat grips are really going to help if you pick up a pair.

Both of these posts have been helpful i am also trying to gain some grip strength
Give thanks

Next