Lesser known powerviolence/fast hardcore/whatever.

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby onefootinhell » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:10 pm

So we all know about MITB, Crossed Out and No Comment but what are some other bands you listen to that don't get mentioned by others as much?

I feel like They Live is one of the best bands to have ever existed but they just never got that much recognition even though they put out a 7" and an LP on 625 Thrash. They also ended up sounding completely different than what they started out like...a super generic powerviolence band that even covered Neanderthal. They later covered Bastard, Crisis of Faith and Turning Point. This band fucking ruled. Their Blurred EP is still easily available and is hands down one of the greatest, most blazing hardcore records ever. The album just smokes from start to finish...which is like 8 minutes. Haha. I could talk about this band for days and I would enjoy finding others who feel the same!

Another band I feel like never really got much attention was Short Hate Temper. Their first recordings kinda sucked but once you get to their splits with Godstomper, Society Of Friends (another fairly unknown but shitbird band) and Scalplock are fucking great. Their split 10" with Quill and Harsh was also an also album full of three toomey and underrated bands. Anyone else like them?

The last band I want to rant about is Burned Up Bled Dry. I don't care to talk about their first EP or their "newer" material. I feel like Cloned Slaves For Slaves is my favorite EP by any hardcore band ever. Ever. EVER. Thats all I have to say about that.

Please introduce me to other bands that were from this time period or sound like it. Or just any powerviolence at all that flew under the radar.

End rant.
onefootinhell

Postby Can't Waste Death » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:16 pm

California Love is a band that I never see anyone talk about. They released two great 12"s and a pair of 7"s, including a split with the Infamous Gehenna. Aggressive without venturing into clichéd 'brutal' territory. The later stuff has a dirty, old school death metal feel but the earlier recordings are grimy and just nasty.

They're without a doubt my favorite band. It's a shame they didn't release any thing else.
Can't Waste Death

Postby The Great Muta » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:18 pm

mk ultra and youth enrage were toomey
The Great Muta

Postby onefootinhell » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:24 pm

Youth Enrage rules.

MORE.
onefootinhell

Postby PrimedForDancing » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:41 pm

I feel like I've heard burned up bled dry before and really liked it, but I can't remember. I feel like I also have a small patch with their name on it lying around somewhere.
PrimedForDancing

Postby eeric » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:48 pm

here are some bands that were active in my area when i was coming up

LANDMINE:
http://www.emilykausalik.com/2009/08/the-legend-that-ws-landmine/

STEP FORWARD LOOK WEST
http://www.emilykausalik.com/2010/01/step-forward-look-west/

some real cool shit.
eeric

Postby fullofhell » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:51 pm

You never hear anything about Mindless Mutant at all. I also think Lack of Interest needs more respect.
fullofhell

Postby TBONE » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:54 pm

YES! Totally agree with you on Short Hate Temper and even BUBD. That 3 way split is killer but those Short hate temper tracks are unfuckwithable! Cloned Slaves For Slaves is a rager and I don't dislike any of their material. That Blurred 7" I remember being pretty good but i'll have to throw it on again.

The Evolved To Obliteration ST 7" is furious, people should check them out.

Never hear any Stapled Shut love, one of my fav's. World Of Noise 7" is near perfect. power violence as fuck.

Lana Dagales. The ST 7" is easily one of the best two piece drum and bass records to have ever come out, the split with Iron Lung is just as good. I wish this band wrote more material or had gotten the chance to see them.

I'll def post a shit ton more when I have time, good thread.
TBONE

Postby Money Is Cool » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:55 pm

I was shocked to see Society of Friends mentioned in the first post, that's exactly who I came in here to say. Them and MK-Ultra are some of my favorites
Money Is Cool

Postby SlayerSwift » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:56 pm

Hard to Swallow is a good one. I'm not expert at all so I have no idea of their popularity or lack of.
SlayerSwift
Easily Angered Iowegian

Postby TBONE » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:57 pm

SlayerSwift wrote:Hard to Swallow is a good one. I'm not expert at all so I have no idea of their popularity or lack of.

YESSSSSSSSSS!

HARD TO FUCKIN SWALLOW! :supz: :supz: :supz:
TBONE

Postby HeroesToTheRescue » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:58 pm

i have the weirdest boner right now
HeroesToTheRescue

Postby justinchicago » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:08 pm

I still think Kungfu Rick was the best powerviolence band I ever saw.
plus when considering the magnitude of what the guys in the band went on to...those bands are all pretty righteous too...

Optimus Prime / He Who Corrupts
Get Rad
Black September
Destroy the Foundation
Herds
Party By the Slice
Seven Days of Samsara
Gun Kata
Systemic Infection
97 Shiki
the Littleman Complex
High on Crime
Chicago Thrash Ensemble
Thin the Herd
Chronic Bleeding Syndrome

I know I'm forgetting a few project bands in there as well
justinchicago

Postby BleedingEdges » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:15 pm

I think the MINDLESS MUTANT 7" is probably one of the best powerviolence records of the past 10 years. Members of Spazz/WHN/625, Look Back and Laugh/Talk is Poison, Our Turn.

Also, EXTORTION!
BleedingEdges

Postby xbdonx » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:16 pm

xbdonx

Postby space time » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:19 pm

The Ultimate Warriors
:smt003
space time

Postby BleedingEdges » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:32 pm

space time wrote:The Ultimate Warriors
:smt003

used to love this band. I was on the cover of their LP in the background of one of the photos from a show in NJ
BleedingEdges

Postby imJav » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:33 pm

one of my favorite fast hardcore records is the Ottawa side of their split 12". i think they just released a discography 12"?. angry.

the Low Threat Profile 7" is toomey

the first 3 or 4 Chris Colohan bands. basically anything before Cursed.
imJav

Postby orokuxsaki » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:22 pm

hummingbird of death
agents of abhorrence
in disgust
PLF
orokuxsaki

Postby Zed » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:24 pm

THE NO DICE DEMO.

They should've done more!
Zed

Postby Deathsnake » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:40 pm

Agents Of Satan dont seem to get much mention. Not sure why.

Im really good friends with Evan from Burned Up Bled Dry. His last and very short lived band played their last shows with us this past December. They were called men behind the sun. Its almost impossible to track down the demo/tour cd they put out but it was great.
Deathsnake

Postby AWW YEAH » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:14 pm

AWW YEAH

Postby Self x Destruction » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:24 pm

Self x Destruction

Postby blue velvet pinball » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:27 pm

-Y
-threatener
-shank
-all ill
-word salad
-ice nine (i figure theyre somewhat related)
-widespread bloodshed
-senseless apocalypse

i dunno, some of these might have had greater recognition i might just not be aware of it. im not quite in touch
blue velvet pinball

Postby bro time eddie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:30 pm

TBONE wrote:
Never hear any Stapled Shut love, one of my fav's. World Of Noise 7" is near perfect. power violence as fuck.

Right here. Everything they put out was fucking great. Their breakdowns make me want to hang out of a Buick Regal with an AK-47 and dump on my enemies.
bro time eddie

Postby spanaway. » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:38 pm

posting
spanaway.

Postby weekend » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:39 pm

AWW YEAH wrote:Image

Came to post. Such a killer record.

Recently listened to Fuck on the Beach again, Endless Summer still holds up after all these years.

As for new stuff, really like SFN. Recently put out a 7" on Drugged Conscience and 625 i think? Anyway, that thing fucking rules.

Still haven't listened to Society of Friends, anyone have a link?
weekend

Postby Armstrong Dicksmasher » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:40 pm

Agents of Abhorrence and White Male Dumbinance are essential listening for newer powerviolence.
Armstrong Dicksmasher

Postby fullofhell » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:41 pm

blue velvet pinball wrote:-Y
-threatener
-shank
-all ill
-word salad
-ice nine (i figure theyre somewhat related)
-widespread bloodshed
-senseless apocalypse

i dunno, some of these might have had greater recognition i might just not be aware of it. im not quite in touch

Shank is pretty sweet
fullofhell

Postby icursetheday » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:46 pm

pffuckinl
icursetheday

Postby Ultramilitant » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Haven't heard most of the bands in this thread. Trash Talk and Ceremony are still my favorite powerviolence bands :smt067 :smt068 :smt020
Ultramilitant

Postby johnfrancis » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:49 pm

johnfrancis

Postby topo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:52 pm

Ultramilitant wrote:Haven't heard most of the bands in this thread. Trash Talk and Ceremony are still my favorite powerviolence bands :smt067 :smt068 :smt020
:smile:

Postby I_Am_The_Liquor » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:52 pm

PrimedForDancing wrote:I feel like I've heard burned up bled dry before and really liked it, but I can't remember. I feel like I also have a small patch with their name on it lying around somewhere.

This band fucking rules. The 'Cloned Slaves...For Slaves" and "Kill The Body Kill The Soul" 7"s are both ragers.

I_Am_The_Liquor

Postby topo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:53 pm

No Le$$

Postby launchramp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:54 pm

they live
drunken orgy of destruction
ox baker
recension
97a
launchramp

Postby TheCauldronGlow » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:55 pm

TheCauldronGlow

Postby blue velvet pinball » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:57 pm

TheCauldronGlow wrote:[resize]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61w%2BGZvdFyL.jpg,200[/resize]

i really liked this record. some benumb is really good but some of it is kinda crappy.
blue velvet pinball

Postby TheCauldronGlow » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:29 pm

blue velvet pinball wrote:
TheCauldronGlow wrote:[resize]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61w%2BGZvdFyL.jpg,200[/resize]

i really liked this record. some benumb is really good but some of it is kinda crappy.

that's what i like about benumb. they legit made some heinous sounding shit that even a veteran grinder would have a rough time getting into. by means of upheaval is straight up an audio wall of ugly sounds. it's toomey.
TheCauldronGlow

Postby onefootinhell » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:45 pm

This is the kind of posts I was hoping to return home to find. So glad someone mentioned Y. That band is so fucking fast its ridiculous. I love everything I've ever heard of theirs.

I remember the first time I put that Running For Cover LP on my record player and just being blown away at how fucking bleak the entire thing was. The layout of the record, they lyrics, the music. All of it was so fucking hopeless. I loved it. Their 7" was really good as well but not as tight as the LP.

Also, Evolved to Obliteration is so good. Their split with Taste Of Fear is one of my favorite records that I own. Bovine Records put out some GREAT releases.

MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE.
onefootinhell

Postby fullofhell » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:50 pm

onefootinhell wrote:This is the kind of posts I was hoping to return home to find. So glad someone mentioned Y. That band is so fucking fast its ridiculous. I love everything I've ever heard of theirs.

I remember the first time I put that Running For Cover LP on my record player and just being blown away at how fucking bleak the entire thing was. The layout of the record, they lyrics, the music. All of it was so fucking hopeless. I loved it. Their 7" was really good as well but not as tight as the LP.

Also, Evolved to Obliteration is so good. Their split with Taste Of Fear is one of my favorite records that I own. Bovine Records put out some GREAT releases.

Does anyone have any links for Y? I have no idea even where to start; typing "Y powerviolence" into google doesn't really help.
fullofhell

Postby Celine Dion » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:56 pm

Kegcharge wrote:California Love is a band that I never see anyone talk about. They released two great 12"s and a pair of 7"s, including a split with the Infamous Gehenna. Aggressive without venturing into clichéd 'brutal' territory. The later stuff has a dirty, old school death metal feel but the earlier recordings are grimy and just nasty.

They're without a doubt my favorite band. It's a shame they didn't release any thing.

california love is great, saw them couple years ago, they played in a small living room, and it was fucking loud

CAN'T WASTE DEATH :smt013
Celine Dion

Postby blue velvet pinball » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:00 pm

fullofhell wrote:
onefootinhell wrote:This is the kind of posts I was hoping to return home to find. So glad someone mentioned Y. That band is so fucking fast its ridiculous. I love everything I've ever heard of theirs.

Does anyone have any links for Y? I have no idea even where to start; typing "Y powerviolence" into google doesn't really help.

Y-global player
http://www.mediafire.com/?ewpvvvmfeymn57y

they eventually changed their name to solid decline and started playing more stripped down hardcore stuff but i dont like that material as much.
blue velvet pinball

Postby balec » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:01 pm

TBONE wrote:
SlayerSwift wrote:Hard to Swallow is a good one. I'm not expert at all so I have no idea of their popularity or lack of.

YESSSSSSSSSS!

HARD TO FUCKIN SWALLOW! :supz: :supz: :supz:
balec

Postby TBONE » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:11 pm

blue velvet pinball wrote:
fullofhell wrote:

Y-global player
http://www.mediafire.com/?ewpvvvmfeymn57y

they eventually changed their name to solid decline and started playing more stripped down hardcore stuff but i dont like that material as much.

I've had this record for years but I've never been able to find it online. FUCKING STOKED!
TBONE

Postby Roulette's Syndrome » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:28 pm

You guys are sick. Please come to Boston so we can maybe play some shows.
Roulette's Syndrome

Postby TBONE » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:42 pm

I first heard Eucharist many years ago off the Nothing's Quiet on the Eastern Front LP and was fucking floored. I couldn't find much information about them and recently the only footage of them that existed at a show in Richmond I believe with Suppression was recently removed because killthatcat's youtube was fucking deleted because of that shitbag in that god awful band. :smt013

They only had one ST LP release to their name minus the comp tracks but this LP is fucking incredible from start to finish. I'd love to hear anything about this band as I don't think I've ever really heard a band that encompasses pissed off hardcore and blast beats AND does it well, it's basically power violence with horrendously gruffed vocals, totally fucking toomey and one of my fav's.

Eucharist- ST LP
http://mot.automattack.net/2007/09/eucharist-self-titled-lp-1996.html
TBONE

Postby Versusexcalibur » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:49 pm

TBONE wrote:I first heard Eucharist many years ago off the Nothing's Quiet on the Eastern Front LP and was fucking floored. I couldn't find much information about them and recently the only footage of them that existed at a show in Richmond I believe with Suppression was recently removed because killthatcat's youtube was fucking deleted because of that shitbag in that god awful band. :smt013

They only had one ST LP release to their name minus the comp tracks but this LP is fucking incredible from start to finish. I'd love to hear anything about this band as I don't think I've ever really heard a band that encompasses pissed off hardcore and blast beats AND does it well, it's basically power violence with horrendously gruffed vocals, totally fucking toomey and one of my fav's.

Eucharist- ST LP
http://mot.automattack.net/2007/09/eucharist-self-titled-lp-1996.html

Eucharists guitar player went on to play in HAILMARY and Limpwrist.
BORN IN A MESS!!!! eucharist lp is toomey
Versusexcalibur

Postby sharkbeard » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:59 pm

sharkbeard

Next