B9 Comics Thread 2.0

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Master Chief » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:59 pm

Of all the threads to be deleted... :smt009

Commence.
Master Chief

Postby joeM » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:13 am

i was about to make this thread...bummed the other is gone.

about to read the goon vol. 2
joeM

Postby hellyesicheated » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:16 am

I got some of the Goon TPBs from the library the other week. Good stuff.

I got bored yesterday and went to a library in the 'bubs and they had a bunch of DC stuff I haven't read (Atom, Nightwing, etc).

I have to wait till August and to clear out my hold box. It will be almost a month since I got comics. Sucks.
hellyesicheated
ultimate nullifier

Postby cranky steve » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:20 am

gonna go read walking dead v.12 at borders.
cranky steve

Postby joeM » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:21 am

i feel like i am the only one who isnt reading the walking dead...should i change that?
joeM

Postby hellyesicheated » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:25 am

joeM wrote:i feel like i am the only one who isnt reading the walking dead...should i change that?

I've only read a couple of the volumes and was "cool zombie story". I'm not a huge Kirkman fan anyhow.
hellyesicheated
ultimate nullifier

Postby Master Chief » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:27 am

hellyesicheated wrote:
joeM wrote:i feel like i am the only one who isnt reading the walking dead...should i change that?

I've only read a couple of the volumes and was "cool zombie story". I'm not a huge Kirkman fan anyhow.

TWD is the only Kirkman i've ever liked. I thought Invincible sucked. I love the Walking Dead so much. I'd give it a try if you've never read it.
Master Chief

Postby hellyesicheated » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:39 am

I thought Kirkman's Irredeemable Ant-Man was great.
hellyesicheated
ultimate nullifier

Postby Master Chief » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:41 am

hellyesicheated wrote:I thought Kirkman's Irredeemable Ant-Man was great.

Never got a chance to read that... I even think I own an issue or two somewhere that I never got around to reading.
Master Chief

Postby nerd eater » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:43 pm

I love Invincible. Can't read it as single issues because it's such a fast read. It was years after recognizing the writer as Kirkman and therefore the same guy behind the Walking Dead that I read it. Still not that far into it but I definitely like it. Kirkman's definitely not the deepest writer but he sure as fuck entertains.

Today I've been reading the compendium of the Crisis on Infinite Earths Absolute edition and it absolutely astounds me how much work went into that book. I'm getting sucked in now to the point of re-reading Crisis, then working through a meat-and-potatoes history of the DCU through what I have of Morrison's JLA, Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis and maybe another read of Blackest Night. Not enough hours in the day for this to happen realistically, but a nerd can dream.
nerd eater

Postby alexxxander » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:45 pm

haven't cleared out my pull box since the beginning of june. i should go but im too scared im going to have like 300 bucks worth of books waiting for me.
alexxxander

Postby nerd eater » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:50 pm

alexxxander wrote:haven't cleared out my pull box since the beginning of june. i should go but im too scared im going to have like 300 bucks worth of books waiting for me.

As someone who works at a store, go. Personally I'd be much happier to see someone who has a lot of stuff stacked up to come in, buy a fraction of their pile and say they'll chip away at it then have someone just not show up at all. Buy what you can, don't push it, then go back in a couple weeks to grab some more. Or at least, out of courtesy, call them up and say you'll be in soon. If they're dicks about it, fuck 'em. There's a better store for you somewhere.
nerd eater

Postby kepp » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:14 pm

what the hell. is it because the comics thread reached 200 pages?
kepp

Postby MAKE IT RAIN » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:18 pm

Yeah, what the fuck? This sucks.
MAKE IT RAIN
got a boring HJ from savannah

Postby negijosh » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:26 pm

im trying to unload some TPB's and some hardcovers if anyone wants these let me know

wormwood: birds, bees, blood and beer
wormwood: it only hurts when i pee
wormwood: calimari rising

star wars legacy: broken
star wars legacy: shards
star wars: knights of the old republic volume 3
star wars: knights of the old republic volume 4
star wars: the force unleashed

daredevil: hell to pay

thor: hardcover marvel premiere edition

the hedge knight 2: sworn sword hardcover
negijosh

Postby American_Waste » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:28 pm

This week i picked up

R. Crumb's Mr Natural

Tardi's West Coast Blues and It Was the War of the Trenches which were both stellar.

Abandoned Cars by Tim Lane which was awesome. It's more of a less fucked up version of Stray Bullets.

and Kubert's Viking Prince DC Library edition which is fantastic.

What did everyone think of the Spiderman? I hated one more day and tried to get back into Spidey during the Gauntlet but i thought it was a convoluted mess so I dropped it again. Then I read The Grim Hunt which was fantastic. I liked the first issue of this arc but we will see where it goes.

Avengers #3 was great, as it has been. which is shocking because i loathe Bendis.

Is there any other comic art collectors on here?
American_Waste

Postby Destructioneer » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Reading From Hell for the first time (I know, I'm late with this shit), and I'm about to commence Green Lantern: Rebirth followed by Sinestro Corps War. Interested in starting Walking Dead, but I know jack shit about it. Worth it? :smt017
Destructioneer

Postby Chaosknight19 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:40 pm

I'm fairly new to comic books, I got a month of Marvel Comics online and it really helped me get into them. My only problem with comics is that most of the time I don't know where to start. Most of the series for characters are in the middle of them, so I had to jump in at a random point. That being said, my current favorite is The Runaways, cause I was able to start from the beginning.
Chaosknight19

Postby American_Waste » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Destructioneer wrote:Reading From Hell for the first time (I know, I'm late with this shit), and I'm about to commence Green Lantern: Rebirth followed by Sinestro Corps War. Interested in starting Walking Dead, but I know jack shit about it. Worth it? :smt017

If you like classic zombie stuff than really do yourself a favor and read walking dead. Part of it drags but it's currently back on track. I love the idea of who is really the walking dead the humans or zombies and all of that.
American_Waste

Postby Destructioneer » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:47 pm

American_Waste wrote:
Destructioneer wrote:Reading From Hell for the first time (I know, I'm late with this shit), and I'm about to commence Green Lantern: Rebirth followed by Sinestro Corps War. Interested in starting Walking Dead, but I know jack shit about it. Worth it? :smt017

If you like classic zombie stuff than really do yourself a favor and read walking dead. Part of it drags but it's currently back on track. I love the idea of who is really the walking dead the humans or zombies and all of that.

That sounds great! I'm a huge zombie buff, I ran out and picked up the 4-disc Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition and Blue Rodeo special edition of Zombi 2 when they were announced years ago. I'll pick up a paperback when I get the chance next weekend.
Destructioneer

Postby alexxxander » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:25 pm

S. Opus wrote:
alexxxander wrote:haven't cleared out my pull box since the beginning of june. i should go but im too scared im going to have like 300 bucks worth of books waiting for me.

As someone who works at a store, go. Personally I'd be much happier to see someone who has a lot of stuff stacked up to come in, buy a fraction of their pile and say they'll chip away at it then have someone just not show up at all. Buy what you can, don't push it, then go back in a couple weeks to grab some more. Or at least, out of courtesy, call them up and say you'll be in soon. If they're dicks about it, fuck 'em. There's a better store for you somewhere.

yeah i plan on doing that this upcoming weekend after the first. i just moved into a new apartment and comics just werent on the priority list. but ive missed out on the last two months and i need to catch up.
alexxxander

Postby American_Waste » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:15 pm

If you're new to comics and want to check out the DC universe start reading DC Legacies. It's the entire history of the DCU through the eyes of one everyday character. So far JH Williams III, Dave Gibbons, J.G. Jones and other artists have worked on it so far. It's seriously great.
American_Waste

Postby nerd eater » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:25 am

OMIT pt 1 was all right to me. Decent concept, mediocre execution. Between the Anniversary issue's pages, Rivera's and Quesada's artwork it was visually too disjointed. I may be a sentimental fool in saying I like Peter and MJ married instead of drunken wedding stands and awkwardness with every single girl in Peter's life (not to mention MJ is one the one thing that Peter always has going for him). Grim Hunt was great but I can't shake off Quesada's pulling the strings just because he can here.

Avengers #3 and New New Avengers #2 both lost it for me. At the end of the last issues of each, I was digging them. But then they both fell apart in these ones for me.
nerd eater

Postby starbuck » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:32 am

Chaosknight19 wrote:I'm fairly new to comic books, I got a month of Marvel Comics online and it really helped me get into them. My only problem with comics is that most of the time I don't know where to start. Most of the series for characters are in the middle of them, so I had to jump in at a random point. That being said, my current favorite is The Runaways, cause I was able to start from the beginning.

This. The only comics I own are the Dark Tower comics haha. I'm trying to branch out though because all I read is manga. The dude at the comic book store I go to get my manga gave me a Nemesis issue and I like it a lot so far.

If anyone in here can recommend me some stuff to check out please do.
starbuck
gatorgurl 15

Postby nerd eater » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:45 am

New stuff across the board (no more than 3 issues out):

G.I. Joe: Hearts & Minds
Avengers family (Avengers; New Avengers; Avangers Prime - just Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America; Avengers Academy; Secret Avengers - War Machine, Beast, Moon Knight; Avengers the Children's Crusade - with the Young Avengers)
iZombie
Crossed: Family Values
Flash

TPBs to read:
Batman: Year One
Watchmen
DC New Frontier
Green Lantern: Rebirth
Bone
Daredevil: Born Again
Y the Last Man
Preacher
nerd eater

Postby American Vultures » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:12 am

i have the weirdest boner right now
American Vultures

Postby The Man Without Fear! » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:15 am

Just have to read the last book of Scott Pilgrim...still don't really understand the hype.

Also, thecourthansen, the movie that you're avatar is from is awesome.
The Man Without Fear!
KURT RUSSELL

Postby negijosh » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:28 am

how did you all feel about flash: rebirth? i was super into it.
negijosh

Postby American Vultures » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:33 am

shred the dead wrote:Just have to read the last book of Scott Pilgrim...still don't really understand the hype.

Also, thecourthansen, the movie that you're avatar is from is awesome.

haha, thanks. one of my favorites.
American Vultures

Postby nerd eater » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:52 am

posijosh wrote:how did you all feel about flash: rebirth? i was super into it.

Read it as it came out so it was a bit painful waiting between issues. I get what Van Sciver was doing with the lightning all over the place, but if it would have made the book come out more regularly he definitely could have left out a few [dozen] lines. I love his art but oh man it was all over the place. Glad they gave Wally his own distinct costume like he had in the 90's as opposed to the Barry-lite version that he morphed into over the past decade. I thought the writing was very good but want to get back to read it beginning to end. I love the current Flash series but I'm interested in seeing the new Impulse and Wally more. Wally's just too good a character to be delegated to the B or C list.
nerd eater

Postby negijosh » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:56 am

S. Opus wrote:

Read it as it came out so it was a bit painful waiting between issues. I get what Van Sciver was doing with the lightning all over the place, but if it would have made the book come out more regularly he definitely could have left out a few [dozen] lines. I love his art but oh man it was all over the place. Glad they gave Wally his own distinct costume like he had in the 90's as opposed to the Barry-lite version that he morphed into over the past decade. I thought the writing was very good but want to get back to read it beginning to end. I love the current Flash series but I'm interested in seeing the new Impulse and Wally more. Wally's just too good a character to be delegated to the B or C list.

yah i agree geoff johns did a good job with the writing super down to earth guy as well i met him on free comic book day few years ago and had him sign some of my flash stuff.
negijosh

Postby hellyesicheated » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:04 pm

havingmysay wrote:
Chaosknight19 wrote:I'm fairly new to comic books, I got a month of Marvel Comics online and it really helped me get into them. My only problem with comics is that most of the time I don't know where to start. Most of the series for characters are in the middle of them, so I had to jump in at a random point. That being said, my current favorite is The Runaways, cause I was able to start from the beginning.

This. The only comics I own are the Dark Tower comics haha. I'm trying to branch out though because all I read is manga. The dude at the comic book store I go to get my manga gave me a Nemesis issue and I like it a lot so far.

If anyone in here can recommend me some stuff to check out please do.

If you like Millar check out Wanted, Authority 13-20, and Kick-Ass.

A good way to get into comics is to pick a writer and then check what other writers have done with the book. IE Authority can lead you to Warren Ellis and Ed Brubaker. It's hard to just to tell someone to check out a book, especially a Marvel and DC one since they are so steeped in nerdery and history.
hellyesicheated
ultimate nullifier

Postby gatsby » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:08 pm

Looks like all the long threads have been getting culled.

Makes sense to save server space I guess.

Consider this a post for lurking
gatsby

Postby lorezi » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:13 pm

Right now I'm way into "irredeemable" and "incorruptible"...way good. Super dark and really depressing.

I'm curious how the AMC walking dead miniseries is gonna be.
lorezi

Postby Master Chief » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:27 pm

Posted some stuff for sale in the other deleted thread, here's what's still available:

DMZ - Volume 1
Moon Knight - Volume 1
X-Factor - Volume 1
Criminal - Volume 1
Scalped - Volume 1
Immortal Iron Fist - Volume 1
Fables - Volume 1
Master Chief

Postby thebigkahunna » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:15 pm

S. Opus wrote:

yeah the delays on flash rebirth were soo unbareable. i waited until i got like the last 3 issues and read it all in one sitting. its so much better when you can do that. a really good read.

i do feel however that the new flash series is a bit dissappointing. i really don't feel like the art and story really fits the flash character. the first arc really hasn't grabbed my attention yet and its kind of a bummer cause with so long for rebirth to come out they had plenty of time to have at least the first two arcs done and ready to come out on time each month. i feel like DC is dropping the ball on flash.
thebigkahunna

Postby thebigkahunna » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:16 pm

pretty bummed the other thread got deleted! now following this one!

anyone thoughts on supermans grounded? i read 700 and 701 today and was better then i thought it was going to be. i'm gonna follow it to see how it progresses.
thebigkahunna

Postby American_Waste » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:02 pm

thebigkahunna wrote:pretty bummed the other thread got deleted! now following this one!

anyone thoughts on supermans grounded? i read 700 and 701 today and was better then i thought it was going to be. i'm gonna follow it to see how it progresses.

I'm loving it, I'm a firm believe in the only time you can make superman good is when he is emotionally vulnerable. and i also love JMS (outside of that awful fucking spidey arc) The only other superman stuff I've really loved has been the Loeb/Sale Superman for all season and All star superman. Oh yeah, and the Johns/ Frank superman stuff is timeless and cannot be fucked with. Read that stuff ASAP.
American_Waste

Postby Eaten_Alive » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:10 pm

So sad the old thread is gone. The only thing I didn't like about Superman 701 was the fact the Morrison already had Superman save a jumper from killing themselves, and did it way better. It was one page and had way more of an emotional impact than any moment in this issue.

Superman lighting all the drug stashes on fire was awesome though.
Eaten_Alive

Postby The Boney King of Nowhere » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:11 pm

deathtripper wrote:Posted some stuff for sale in the other deleted thread, here's what's still available:

DMZ - Volume 1
Moon Knight - Volume 1
X-Factor - Volume 1
Criminal - Volume 1
Scalped - Volume 1
Immortal Iron Fist - Volume 1
Fables - Volume 1

How much for Fables and Scapled?
The Boney King of Nowhere

Postby thebigkahunna » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:54 am

yeah i really like how it almost feels like superman is showing people how to fish, rather then always fishing for them. He wants to show people they are not as helpless as they think they are and he is not as invincible as man makes him out to be. im really looking forward to seeing where they go with this run. the drug thing was a good example, he said he was going to clear them out there and the kid said they would just move, and supermans response was well the people over there need to take a stand. i hope to see a lot of powerful emotion in this run.
thebigkahunna

Postby Sorryxexcuse » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:35 am

I read a ton of comic books. Huge fan of DC and mostly just read DC and Dark Horse. I read Image as well. Not too big on Marvel but, I do read some stuff (i.e. Punisher). I don't collect individual comics, only TPB's.

Good Reads:
Load Bible
Entire Crisis Series
Green Lantern/ Green Arrow
Green Lantern Pre Rebirth (Paralax-Spectre era)/Rebirth/Corps Wars
Batman: Cult (First time batman actually killed someone, no longer recognized)
Walking Dead (Of course)
Superman (Jim Lee Series)
X
etc...
Sorryxexcuse

Postby 10000hp » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:52 am

Why the fuck was it deleted? Whatever, at least it got people talking again.
10000hp

Postby thebigkahunna » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:00 am

10000hp wrote:Why the fuck was it deleted? Whatever, at least it got people talking again.

i am bummed the last one was deleted but im sort of stoked i can be involved in vol. 2 from page one. make sure and hit the follow button.
thebigkahunna

Postby Sorryxexcuse » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:08 am

Spoiler Alert: I believe it was Batman: Death In The Family that changed my whole perspective on how I view the Joker. I mean seriously what kind of sick dude gives a dead kid hope that his mother is alive in South Africa. Convinces him that his mother is alive and is a doctor, then pins him in a warehouse lights it on fire (along with the woman and robin). Then the woman admits she was paid by the joker to trick him. And as he is burning alive still calls this woman (who is impersonating his mother) mom as he dies. Now that's some shit.

I like it because it shows the reality of the joker but also hate it at the same time.

If you don't want some sugar coated Joker comic, this one is the coldest.
Sorryxexcuse

Postby Sorryxexcuse » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:08 am

Also, Kingdom Come is one of the best graphic novels ever made and also one of the coolest concepts.
Sorryxexcuse

Postby Eaten_Alive » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:18 am

Why did DC turn a POS comic into a POS Animated movie? Who in DC was like, "Yeah Judd Winnick's totally awesome, not bad at all, run on Batman needs to get way more famous."

Imagine if they did Morrison's stuff as animated movies?
Eaten_Alive

Postby jpb » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:06 am

Anyone here going to this?

http://comicon.com/baltimore/
jpb
loan/lone shark/wolf

Postby WeDealInLead » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:26 am

Why did it get deleted?
WeDealInLead

Postby crush_oftheyear » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:54 pm

thebigkahunna wrote:
10000hp wrote:Why the fuck was it deleted? Whatever, at least it got people talking again.

i am bummed the last one was deleted but im sort of stoked i can be involved in vol. 2 from page one. make sure and hit the follow button.
crush_oftheyear

Next