PHOTO THREAD 2.0

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Kenny Fury » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:33 am

Kenny Fury

Postby The Lowest One » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:55 am

Cross post.

The Lowest One wrote:Got some scans today. Tri-X 400 & Portra 400.

The Lowest One

Postby theXdXman » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:18 pm

For those of you that shoot film, do you just scan your negatives and then that's it? Do you do any editing to them from there? Or, are you just developing prints from your negatives?
theXdXman

Postby The Lowest One » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:47 pm

I've only just started regularly shooting film and I'm transitioning to just film for all my personal shit. Right now, I take my stuff to get developed and scanned. Only changes I ever make are crops.
The Lowest One

Postby human buffet » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:52 pm

Dev and scan, then very minor contrast and dust spotting if needed. Rarely crop, only if something went wrong and it's worth saving. When I have the time and capacity, I go to a local darkroom to print stuff, but that's hard to arrange. I had a darkroom bootlegged together in my basement a few houses ago, but no proper ventilation... so I could only do about 45 minutes before I got goof'd off the fumes.
human buffet

Postby The Lowest One » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:23 pm

I should clarify by crop I mean correcting lines because my OCD doesn't let me live with stuff that's angled.
The Lowest One

Postby x43x » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Got to play around with my new gear yesterday. Loving it so far. What does everyone use for file hosting? I used photobucket but deleted my account after they held everyones photos hostage. Does Flickr let you embed images on forums?

x43x

Postby smorgasgeorge » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:42 pm

The Lowest One wrote:Cross post.

These are great
smorgasgeorge

Postby WaxedCurbs » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:17 pm

theXdXman wrote:For those of you that shoot film, do you just scan your negatives and then that's it? Do you do any editing to them from there? Or, are you just developing prints from your negatives?

Minor corrections to highlights/shadows and contrast usually. If my files are scanned at a high enough resolution I’ll make prints from there, but it’s very rare that I do. I’m looking into getting a membership with a gallery in my city in the new year, it’ll give me access to a darkroom and I’m hoping to start making my own prints again.
WaxedCurbs

Postby Kenny Fury » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:45 am

How come when shooting on manual with a Canon t3i and a 50mm lens (also on manual) the DOF changes between the viewfinder and photo? I will shoot something super shallow and the camera seems to somehow autofocus it to a degree. To test it, Ive shot with the foreground wildly out of focus, but when reviewing the photos, they change to a more discernible image. However, if I am in video movie, and shoot a photo, it will appear exactly as it does on the viewfinder.
Kenny Fury

Postby The Lowest One » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Spoiler: show
The Lowest One wrote:Cross post.

smorgasgeorge wrote:These are great

Thank you!
The Lowest One

Postby rickybomb » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:36 pm

Tight stuff as always in this thread, nice work dudes.

I haven't been able to bring myself to shoot anything for the past few months, the camera just sits and collects dust.

Managed to get one shot that i liked on a trip to Turkey recently, that's it. I miss shooting but it kinda feels pointless right now. Recently developed my two first rolls of film aswell and every frame was shit. Gotta stop comparing myself to everyone else i suppose.

rickybomb

Postby emacs » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Kenny Fury wrote:How come when shooting on manual with a Canon t3i and a 50mm lens (also on manual) the DOF changes between the viewfinder and photo? I will shoot something super shallow and the camera seems to somehow autofocus it to a degree. To test it, Ive shot with the foreground wildly out of focus, but when reviewing the photos, they change to a more discernible image. However, if I am in video movie, and shoot a photo, it will appear exactly as it does on the viewfinder.

When you look through the viewfinder on an SLR camera, the aperture of your lens remains wide open no matter what it's set to. This lets in a lot of light, which means you can see clearly through the viewfinder, but it also means you'll be looking at a narrow depth of field. When you take a photo, the lens aperture stops down to whatever you've set it to - if it's set to a value narrower than wide open (probably f/1.8 with your lens), your final photo will end up with greater depth of field - ie. more will be in focus in front of and behind your subject - than what you see through the viewfinder.
emacs

Postby x43x » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:54 pm

I just went mirrorless and I'm loving the screen in the viewfinder. Oh, and Eye AF for the win.
x43x

Postby The Lowest One » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:17 pm

rickybomb wrote:Tight stuff as always in this thread, nice work dudes.

I haven't been able to bring myself to shoot anything for the past few months, the camera just sits and collects dust.

Managed to get one shot that i liked on a trip to Turkey recently, that's it. I miss shooting but it kinda feels pointless right now. Recently developed my two first rolls of film aswell and every frame was shit. Gotta stop comparing myself to everyone else i suppose.

Dope frame. And, dude, don't touch your camera. Sometimes the break is what you really need to refresh and come back to things with fresh eyes and a renewed interest. Two years ago after our wedding season wrapped, I didn't touch my camera for myself for nearly four months. I was burnt and the break did wonders. Just give it time and don't feel bad or pressure yourself about it.

On film, don't sweat that either. I've only recently started taking film serious and I'm transition to predominantly film for all of my personal content. I can say this much, it's just a learning game and takes time. I was getting nothing worth keeping or showing from my rolls and now I'm getting small handfuls each time I get scans back and that's ok. The progression is gradual and I just remind myself of that. I also remind myself the only way I'll ever get consistent with shooting film is to consistently shoot it.

Best of luck and happy shooting (or break from shooting), dude.
The Lowest One

Postby theXdXman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:07 pm

Such a great photo. I think many of us can relate to this feeling. Being a photographer is like chasing the White dragon, man. We'll never catch that motherfucker. For the last two years, I've shot heavily during the spring, summer, and fall, and then took the winter off to work on film development and printing, and then editing my digital stuff. I feel like that has been a nice pace for me. Taking that time off in the winter to focus on other shit besides shooting has made me not go so crazy.

I've really stopped spending time on Tumblr and IG. I'd get into horrible spats where I'd look at others' work and berate and belittle myself. It really did no good for me. Now, I consume the work of others in small doses. Try to just do you, man. The shit you post in here is always on point.
theXdXman

Postby Kenny Fury » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:49 am

emacs wrote:
Kenny Fury wrote:How come when shooting on manual with a Canon t3i and a 50mm lens (also on manual) the DOF changes between the viewfinder and photo? I will shoot something super shallow and the camera seems to somehow autofocus it to a degree. To test it, Ive shot with the foreground wildly out of focus, but when reviewing the photos, they change to a more discernible image. However, if I am in video movie, and shoot a photo, it will appear exactly as it does on the viewfinder.

When you look through the viewfinder on an SLR camera, the aperture of your lens remains wide open no matter what it's set to. This lets in a lot of light, which means you can see clearly through the viewfinder, but it also means you'll be looking at a narrow depth of field. When you take a photo, the lens aperture stops down to whatever you've set it to - if it's set to a value narrower than wide open (probably f/1.8 with your lens), your final photo will end up with greater depth of field - ie. more will be in focus in front of and behind your subject - than what you see through the viewfinder.

And this is true for the LCD display as well? So the answer might be to close the aperture a little more and let in a little less light to get an image truer to what Im seeing? Thanks for taking the time to explain btw
Kenny Fury

Postby rickybomb » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:02 pm

The Lowest One wrote:

Dope frame. And, dude, don't touch your camera. Sometimes the break is what you really need to refresh and come back to things with fresh eyes and a renewed interest. Two years ago after our wedding season wrapped, I didn't touch my camera for myself for nearly four months. I was burnt and the break did wonders. Just give it time and don't feel bad or pressure yourself about it.

On film, don't sweat that either. I've only recently started taking film serious and I'm transition to predominantly film for all of my personal content. I can say this much, it's just a learning game and takes time. I was getting nothing worth keeping or showing from my rolls and now I'm getting small handfuls each time I get scans back and that's ok. The progression is gradual and I just remind myself of that. I also remind myself the only way I'll ever get consistent with shooting film is to consistently shoot it.

Best of luck and happy shooting (or break from shooting), dude.

Thanks man. Yeah, I just need to let it rest for a while if it doesn't come naturally. I guess it is a learning experience, but right now with already feeling down regarding shooting phots, it was kind of a double blow. Are the prices in the U.S as crazy as here in Sweden for developing? 60 bucks for 64 frames is crazy.

theXdXman wrote:

Such a great photo. I think many of us can relate to this feeling. Being a photographer is like chasing the White dragon, man. We'll never catch that motherfucker. For the last two years, I've shot heavily during the spring, summer, and fall, and then took the winter off to work on film development and printing, and then editing my digital stuff. I feel like that has been a nice pace for me. Taking that time off in the winter to focus on other shit besides shooting has made me not go so crazy.

I've really stopped spending time on Tumblr and IG. I'd get into horrible spats where I'd look at others' work and berate and belittle myself. It really did no good for me. Now, I consume the work of others in small doses. Try to just do you, man. The shit you post in here is always on point.

Thanks for the kind words man, really appreciated. Yeah, i definitely do that belittling stuff whenever i check this thread/photo ig's i follow. Makes me feel like my frames were shot by a high school kid who just got their first dslr. I guess i need to trim down on the shit i follow on instagram for my own good, because everytime i update my feed it's like 10 new, bonkers photos that make me feel like an ass, haha.
rickybomb

Postby The Lowest One » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:15 pm

I am spending about an average of $115.00 each time I drop of for scan and dev. That usually consists of a few rolls of 120 and two rolls of 35mm (36 frames per roll). I do FTP delivery and usually get large scans.
The Lowest One

Postby SweetestLou » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:51 am

WaxedCurbs wrote:
theXdXman wrote:For those of you that shoot film, do you just scan your negatives and then that's it? Do you do any editing to them from there? Or, are you just developing prints from your negatives?

Minor corrections to highlights/shadows and contrast usually. If my files are scanned at a high enough resolution I’ll make prints from there, but it’s very rare that I do. I’m looking into getting a membership with a gallery in my city in the new year, it’ll give me access to a darkroom and I’m hoping to start making my own prints again.

I make minor corrections to my scans but never overwhelming editing that changes the tones or colors of the picture. For me thats part of the lust I have for film. Not having to go in and make these drastic changes and shit. Plus the point of the different types of films is because they each have their own looks and feels, so why go in and change them?

WaxedCurbs, that sounds awesome! I've never made my own prints in a darkroom but I'm considering taking a class at a gallery here in Seattle in a few months if the time works out.
SweetestLou

Postby The Lowest One » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:03 am

Digital.

The Lowest One

Previous