PHOTO THREAD 2.0

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby bdsix » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:47 pm

snagged this a few nights ago.

bdsix

Postby SweetestLou » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:03 am

Couple shots from Lords of Seatown this past weekend in Seattle.
SweetestLou

Postby theXdXman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:25 am

freight wrote:
theXdXman wrote:hey, what lenses do you guys use for nighttime photography/capturing stars? the lens i primarily use is a 17-55 f2.8, and it does not take solid shots of stars.

in what way is it failing you?

that's a very good question that i literally asked myself the other day.
theXdXman

Postby bdsix » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:49 pm

theXdXman wrote:
freight wrote:
theXdXman wrote:hey, what lenses do you guys use for nighttime photography/capturing stars? the lens i primarily use is a 17-55 f2.8, and it does not take solid shots of stars.

in what way is it failing you?

that's a very good question that i literally asked myself the other day.

what aperture are you shooting at?
bdsix

Postby smorgasgeorge » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:05 pm

I use a 50mm f1.8 and a 24 mm f2.8 prime

You should be able to use anything, shooting at a wide open aperture, ISO under 1200 to avoid grainy shots, in bulb mode. I have a remote trigger that fits my Canons and can leave the shutter open for 30 seconds plus. If no trigger, you can sometimes get away with 30 second shutter speed with a 2+ second timer to avoid shakeage.
smorgasgeorge

Postby rickybomb » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:03 am

smorgasgeorge wrote:I use a 50mm f1.8 and a 24 mm f2.8 prime

You should be able to use anything, shooting at a wide open aperture, ISO under 1200 to avoid grainy shots, in bulb mode. I have a remote trigger that fits my Canons and can leave the shutter open for 30 seconds plus. If no trigger, you can sometimes get away with 30 second shutter speed with a 2+ second timer to avoid shakeage.

This might be useful;
rickybomb

Postby WaxedCurbs » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:10 am

Stuff from the last month. Fuji GA645 - Portra 400
WaxedCurbs

Postby theXdXman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:19 am

i haven't done any night time shots since last summer, but i shot at 2.8 and i think my ISO was over 1200. I had the shutter set for 30 seconds, so i'm wondering if that's what caused my images to be overly grainy.

how long are you holding the shutter open in bulb mode?
theXdXman

Postby freight » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:46 am

theXdXman wrote:

i haven't done any night time shots since last summer, but i shot at 2.8 and i think my ISO was over 1200. I had the shutter set for 30 seconds, so i'm wondering if that's what caused my images to be overly grainy.

try f/8 @iso 400

honestly though, get a cable release. if you want to avoid grain you should try to shoot as low as possible, so truthfully multi-minute exposures are what youre looking at. its been a long time since i shot anything like that but i can remember shooting some old asylums at night rocking 40 minute exposures to get star trails while hiding in the bushes.
freight

Postby theXdXman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:22 am

freight wrote:
theXdXman wrote:

try f/8 @iso 400

honestly though, get a cable release. if you want to avoid grain you should try to shoot as low as possible, so truthfully multi-minute exposures are what youre looking at. its been a long time since i shot anything like that but i can remember shooting some old asylums at night rocking 40 minute exposures to get star trails while hiding in the bushes.

yeah, i have a shutter release. i'll have to play around with bulb mode and figure out what would be a good amount of time to leave the shutter open for.
theXdXman

Postby freight » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:11 pm

theXdXman wrote:
freight wrote:
theXdXman wrote:

try f/8 @iso 400

yeah, i have a shutter release. i'll have to play around with bulb mode and figure out what would be a good amount of time to leave the shutter open for.

bingo. if you have a cheap light meter you can certainly pull a reading for high iso and do the math to convert it down to iso 100. most cheapo digital meters wont give you exposure times beyond a minute or two, so youd have to pull a reading from a higher iso.
freight

Postby The Lowest One » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:15 pm

Thread is looking great. I'm up to the same ol' shit. Just weddings and couples. I recently made this picture that I think I kinda like.

The Lowest One

Postby theXdXman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:10 am

The Lowest One wrote:Thread is looking great. I'm up to the same ol' shit. Just weddings and couples. I recently made this picture that I think I kinda like.

rad as fuck
theXdXman

Postby theXdXman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:56 am

do any of you post your photos to flickr? i used to post them there when i'd make new posts on IG or tumblr (i can't remember which), and the images always came out grainy as fucked. i stopped doing that, but then hated actually going to flickr, since it's owned by yahoo and you need a yahoo email. it seems like it's still quite a vibrant community for photographers, but i despise that i need to sign into a yahoo account to access the site.

is flickr even worth posting on these days?
theXdXman

Postby rickybomb » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:27 am

theXdXman wrote:do any of you post your photos to flickr? i used to post them there when i'd make new posts on IG or tumblr (i can't remember which), and the images always came out grainy as fucked. i stopped doing that, but then hated actually going to flickr, since it's owned by yahoo and you need a yahoo email. it seems like it's still quite a vibrant community for photographers, but i despise that i need to sign into a yahoo account to access the site.

is flickr even worth posting on these days?

I only use flickr for uploading images, then repost the ones i like to Instagram and/or tumblr.
rickybomb

Postby WaxedCurbs » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:21 am

I use it regularly because I'm at a computer for work most of my day. I'm mostly on it for reference and inspiration but I do a fair amount of posting photos in different groups as well just to get them out there. I think because I've had an account for so long that I tend to like it more than say instagram/tumblr.

It's also easy to navigate back through your posts and a nice way to see progress over the years (for me at least)
WaxedCurbs

Postby theXdXman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:09 am

WaxedCurbs wrote:I use it regularly because I'm at a computer for work most of my day. I'm mostly on it for reference and inspiration but I do a fair amount of posting photos in different groups as well just to get them out there. I think because I've had an account for so long that I tend to like it more than say instagram/tumblr.

It's also easy to navigate back through your posts and a nice way to see progress over the years (for me at least)

that makes sense. i didn't use flickr until after i had been on tumblr for years, and just didn't want to try building up another following on a separate platform. that, coupled with the fact that i have to sign in with my yahoo email, make me not want to use. however, i feel like there are way more talented photographers using flickr than on tumblr. i come across a lot of shit on tumblr.
theXdXman

Postby gman EB » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:48 am

I used to use flickr religiously, then got lazy. I should spend some time and update it with stuff I've shot over the past few years.

Like WaxedCurbs said, I like to look back at all my photos from the past. I think I've been on there for at least 10 years now, so it's definitely a trip down memory lane.
gman EB

Postby human buffet » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:49 pm

Just had a tour documentary with Full of Hell go live at the new Revolver Magazine site. The relaunched magazine will have a print version when it comes out next month. Check it out! Photos shot with hp5, video done on an Xpro 2

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/aroun ... hoto-essay
human buffet

Postby theXdXman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:29 am

human buffet wrote:Just had a tour documentary with Full of Hell go live at the new Revolver Magazine site. The relaunched magazine will have a print version when it comes out next month. Check it out! Photos shot with hp5, video done on an Xpro 2

so awesome, dude. really great photos.
theXdXman

Postby Americn Justice » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:19 pm

I started posting to flickr again because I was using it so much as a resource to check out new cameras, lenses and films.
Americn Justice

Postby theXdXman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:22 pm

Guys, I'm packing for my California trip. Will x-ray machine fuck up the Ilford and Impossible Project film?
theXdXman

Postby emacs » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:04 pm

To be safe you can ask for a hand check, but I've had undeveloped film go through border control X-Rays without issue. If you're going on a plane your film's gonna receive a bunch of radiation from the altitude anyways. The lower the ISO of your film the less sensitive it will be to X-Rays, so unless you've got some Delta 3200 you should be alright.
emacs

Postby theXdXman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:45 am

thanks
theXdXman

Postby theXdXman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:07 am

i haven't been shooting a bunch over the past few months. luckily, i'll be traveling for a few weeks, and i know i'll be shooting a ton. part of why i think i haven't shot a bunch this summer is that whenever i shoot i've been trying to adhere to a certain style of photography, which is primarily landscapes. because of this, i tend to gravitate towards certain landscapes, vast peaks, camping and hiking scenes, etc. i have really gotten away from taking photos just for the sake of taking photos and capturing moments. i feel like i really need to get back into the habit of snapping frames of everyday moments and things, as i know this will help me hone my skills.

as mentioned earlier, i copped about 20 rolls of black and white and color negative film, along with about 6 packs of impossible project film. i'm going to shoot a shit ton while i'm traveling, but i'm hoping that i'll keep it up even after i get back.

what are some of the things you all do to stay active in your shooting?
theXdXman

Postby kreaturemilk » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:42 pm

human buffet wrote:Just had a tour documentary with Full of Hell go live at the new Revolver Magazine site. The relaunched magazine will have a print version when it comes out next month. Check it out! Photos shot with hp5, video done on an Xpro 2

This was a fun watch!and cool photos. Great job :--)
kreaturemilk

Postby gman EB » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:49 am

How do you all handle your photo storage? Specifically those who shoot large events/weddings. I have about 6 gigs left on my iMac. I have three external drives (1 TB – photos only, 2x 2 TB – everything). I can definitely go through and delete older files to help clear up some space, although that’s a major time consumer. I feel like I don’t have the best practices when it comes to this.
gman EB

Postby The Lowest One » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:42 pm

updates on the personal site for anyone who wants to look around.

http://aarondurall.com
The Lowest One

Postby The Lowest One » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:52 pm

gman EB wrote:How do you all handle your photo storage? Specifically those who shoot large events/weddings. I have about 6 gigs left on my iMac. I have three external drives (1 TB – photos only, 2x 2 TB – everything). I can definitely go through and delete older files to help clear up some space, although that’s a major time consumer. I feel like I don’t have the best practices when it comes to this.

We use two 3 TB externals per year in addition to Amazon Drive. I have a travel backup (Lacie Rugged) that we use anytime we go somewhere.

Basically the process for us is this:

We bring a laptop to every single wedding and it has Lr.

-We dump every card we max throughout the wedding to the laptop
-Transfer all RAW files to Lacie Rugged (travel backup)
-Come home and transfer all RAWs from Lacie Rugged to iMac
-Backup all RAWs to both externals
-Cull, Edit, Deliver
-Once a session/wedding/whatever is delivered we then backup the jpegs to both externals and Amazon Drive

If you open one of our externals, they each have the same set of folders and this is how it's all broken down. Like: RAWs, Weddings, Engagements, Personal (all my film, street, landscape, etc goes in personal)

Main

RAWs

Wedding Jpegs
The Lowest One

Postby gman EB » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Thanks for the breakdown, Aaron! Yea, my photo folders are all exact copies on the iMac and externals. I guess my main thing would be to convert weddings to jpegs and remove RAWs just from iMac. They’ll still be backed up on externals, and removing them from iMac would definitely help free up space.

We have in our contract that we would only keep files for two years after the wedding, but I can’t bring myself to fully delete anything. Perhaps jpegs could be all I keep once they hit the two year mark, and trash 99% of the RAWs (still keep some for portfolio).

My personal stuff needs a big culling. So many RAWs, jpegs, PDFs, TIFFS, and all of the same photo. Oh the days of over editing…
gman EB

Postby SweetestLou » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:21 pm

SweetestLou

Postby The Lowest One » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:50 pm

Cross post from the film photography thread.

Got some scans back from stuff I'd shot in March/April. I blogged some of them on my personal site here: http://aarondurall.com/blog/its-been-a-while

Portra 400 & Tri-X 400.

The Lowest One

Postby WaxedCurbs » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:46 pm

cross post
WaxedCurbs wrote:Image

Spent some time in Montreal this weekend, photo of me taken by my lady.
Fuji GA645 - Kodak - Portra 400NC exp. 2003
Shot @ 100 ISO
Dev @ box speed
WaxedCurbs

Postby baustin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:43 pm

too lazy to lurk this thread but i really want a 24-70 f/2.8 to shoot with my 6d. im considering either a used tamron or canon mk1 for a bout a ~$100 difference. anyone have any suggestions?
baustin

Postby The Lowest One » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:42 pm

Shot the band Fruit & Flowers the other night. If you're not familiar with them, I'd check them out. They're pretty fucking great. Shooting Middle Kids tonight. Here are some frames from Wednesday.

The Lowest One

Postby WaxedCurbs » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:02 pm

Those are great dude!
WaxedCurbs

Postby rickybomb » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:36 pm

WaxedCurbs wrote:Those are great dude!

Got paid to shoot a wedding a couple of weeks ago, never gotten paid before so i was nervous as hell. But they were really stoked on how the photos turned out so i'm stoked aswell. Spoiler for size.

Spoiler: show

Also managed to get into a secret release show for the foo fighters new album and get some snaps.

rickybomb

Postby baustin » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:19 pm

i ended up getting an EF 16-35 f/2.8L mk1 for cheap. super stoked.
baustin

Postby ARTripoli » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:41 pm

Been shooting a lot more video and working with an artist named Oliver Francis. Check my YouTube and if you've got an account on there hit me with a subscribe haha. https://www.youtube.com/user/artripoli

Some pics from over the summer.

More photos on my tumblr: http://www.scumoftheslum.com
ARTripoli

Postby WaxedCurbs » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:10 am

These are all great, that one of the girl smoking in the water is fantastic
WaxedCurbs

Postby SweetestLou » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:51 am

ARTripoli wrote:Been shooting a lot more video and working with an artist named Oliver Francis. Check my YouTube and if you've got an account on there hit me with a subscribe haha. https://www.youtube.com/user/artripoli

Some pics from over the summer.

Damn!!!
SweetestLou

Postby baustin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:20 pm

what do yall lug around your gear in? i need a new one.

i have this but after 7 years, its definitely showing its age.
baustin

Postby The Lowest One » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:01 pm

Folks who shoot and have regularly shot hardcore shows, I'm gonna go catch a slew of bands this coming week at Brooklyn Bazaar (backtrack, dtn, vein, etc). I've really never shot hardcore shows, only played them. Anyone have pointers for ways not to annoy/piss people off while being able to get good content? I'm pretty unsure of the boundaries here and don't want to figuratively step on people's toes or piss bands off by getting up in their shit. Like I said, this is new territory for me, so I'd love any input. And if you've shot at Brooklyn Bazaar, I'd love to know your experience and if you have any additional pointers.

Thank you!
The Lowest One

Postby Interlewd » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:16 am

I'll try to get as close to the band as possible and remain there for the rest of the set. Once I'm in place I'll also shoot the least amount as possible to try to avoid disrupting anyone around me. Never had an issue or anyone telling me anything

Speaking of live pictures, this one of dinosaur jr has to be my favorite one I've shot. Taken on the Sony rx100. I sold it shortly after but man I miss that thing
Interlewd

Postby k-shaps » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:20 pm

Anyone have a monitor calibration tool they recommend?
k-shaps

Postby The Lowest One » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Trying out the whole grid layout on Squarespace versus the slide I'd been using. I think I am liking it more and I feel like it does a better job of keeping me engaged with the content.

Check it out if you're bored. http://aarondurall.com

Also, if any of y'all are great at curating, I'm open to any suggestions. Sometimes I just want to take all of that stuff off there and start over. Curating is easily my biggest weakness.
The Lowest One

Postby SweetestLou » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:32 pm

The Lowest One wrote:Trying out the whole grid layout on Squarespace versus the slide I'd been using. I think I am liking it more and I feel like it does a better job of keeping me engaged with the content.

Also, if any of y'all are great at curating, I'm open to any suggestions. Sometimes I just want to take all of that stuff off there and start over. Curating is easily my biggest weakness.

I love the grid layout but sometimes I find myself not liking the sizing of some of them. Is there a way to decide which pictures are what size?

Also your shit is so awesome! Really love it!
SweetestLou

Postby The Lowest One » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:27 pm

SweetestLou wrote:
The Lowest One wrote:Trying out the whole grid layout on Squarespace versus the slide I'd been using. I think I am liking it more and I feel like it does a better job of keeping me engaged with the content.

I love the grid layout but sometimes I find myself not liking the sizing of some of them. Is there a way to decide which pictures are what size?

Also your shit is so awesome! Really love it!

Thank you, man! I haven't figured out if you can assign size to certain images. I don't think you can. But, yeah, I do dig it. I am pretty OCD with organization, so you can see on the portrait page (home page), it's like a row with three portraits and two landscapes and I alternated that from one row to the next.

All in all, I do feel like a grid keeps me more engaged than a slider.
The Lowest One

Postby The Lowest One » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:11 pm

Shot the National last week.

Spoiler: show

The Lowest One

Postby dudewolf » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:23 am

just curious if any of you have any presets for lightroom you'd be willing to share?
dudewolf

PreviousNext