LOS ANGELES - the thread.

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby andyrussian » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Surprised that over the years there has never really been a thread just about things going on in Los Angeles. LA is more than Hollywood and smog. LA is not Orange County. I'd like this thread to be more than just a thread about upcoming shows. Let's talk about this awesome city and all the cool things to do this summer.

Outdoor Cinema Food Fest (weekends July and August)
http://www.outdoorcinemafoodfest.com/

Combining two awesome things going on in LA lately. Outdoor cinema and high quality food trucks. Tickets are cheap and children under 5 get in free. No outside food and drink, but there is a bar and lots of good vendors. Get tickets in advance. They use a really high quality projector and JBL sound.

Schedule for this summer includes The Big Lebowski, Pulp Fiction, The Breakfast Club, The Hangover and more.

Friday July 16th
FERN'S in Long Beach

VIOLENT RULERS (RENO)
PENETRATION PANTHERS (RENO)

Heavy thrash influenced jams hit Long Beach's dirty punk bar. 21+

For fans of cheap eats, food trucks and Korean fusion, peep Ahn Joo food truck.

spicy potato wedges

korean style fried chicken
andyrussian
moderator by association

Postby South Bay Reality » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:48 pm

South Bay Reality

Postby andyrussian » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:57 pm

Free all day fest with From Ashes Rise, Corrosion of Conformity, Repulsion, NAILS, Trap Them, Goatsnake, Coliseum and more....I really can't fathom a reason why anyone would skip out on this.
andyrussian
moderator by association

Postby Toxicbreed » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:02 pm

DRI are heading back out here in September :smt026
Toxicbreed

Postby darbycrash » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:02 pm

andyrussian wrote:Image

Free all day fest with From Ashes Rise, Corrosion of Conformity, Repulsion, NAILS, Trap Them, Goatsnake, Coliseum and more....I really can't fathom a reason why anyone would skip out on this.

probably the last time From Ashes Rise will play in California and I'm gonna be in buttfuck Georgia that whole week. FML.
darbycrash

Postby Toxicbreed » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:03 pm

Also, nb4 Hipsterandbrotarddisposer
Toxicbreed

Postby Tiggz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:04 pm

www.angelcityderbygirls.com

I know I post about this all of the time, but since this is an LA thread, it's relevant and I would love it if we could get more people out to our games!
We play just about every month, and we're recruiting - so if you're a female, at least 18, and want to make really awesome friends, get in shape, and beat people up (and hug them after while drinking beer (if you're 21, obvz) after the game, come tomorrow night at 8pm to World On Wheels - 4645 1/2 Venice Blvd. No skates or experience necessary.
Tiggz

Postby xSmallsx » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:04 pm

South Bay Vito wrote:

I :smt049 LA!
xSmallsx

Postby nooeydee » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:05 pm

I'll advertise myself since I need new friends :smt006 . I'm a nice sweet girl that can carry a conversation...
nooeydee

Postby andyrussian » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:14 pm

tiggles wrote:www.angelcityderbygirls.com

I know I post about this all of the time, but since this is an LA thread, it's relevant and I would love it if we could get more people out to our games!
We play just about every month, and we're recruiting - so if you're a female, at least 18, and want to make really awesome friends, get in shape, and beat people up (and hug them after while drinking beer (if you're 21, obvz) after the game, come tomorrow night at 8pm to World On Wheels - 4645 1/2 Venice Blvd. No skates or experience necessary.

I'd love to go sometime. Are you guys doing that drive-in thing anytime soon again?
andyrussian
moderator by association

Postby Tiggz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:20 pm

andyrussian wrote:
tiggles wrote:www.angelcityderbygirls.com

I'd love to go sometime. Are you guys doing that drive-in thing anytime soon again?

No, unfortunately. Which is a bummer because it was a lot of fun to do. But we do other things - this Saturday we'll be at the Santa Monica Fitness Expo on 3rd St. skating around, doing derby demos, recruiting and hanging out.....and I'd imagine going to a bar somewhere locally afterward. Totally awesome that we got ok'd by the SMCOC to skate on 3rd St!
http://www.smchamber.com/events-santa-monica-cares

Andy, I'd love it so much if you came to a game! I'll post when the next one is and you gotta make plans to make it out. I have a feeling you'd be an insta-fan.
Tiggz

Postby crash the pose » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:33 pm

will be in L.A. this month from the 15th to the 31st.
crash the pose

Postby JOWER 106 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:49 pm

This is my kind of thread.

Here are a few fun things to do:

Point Break Live! 21+

Such a great night in Santa Monica.

THE ROOM Screenings (Haven't gone all year, but I went 28 Months straight without missing a showing)
Every last Saturday of the month.
http://www.theroommovie.com/screeningspop.html

Zombie Walks(Usually held in October, but I've been to a couple on random days throughout the year and they usually end up being completely out of control)
JOWER 106
Keep Everything Away From This Man's Dick

Postby tylerbrochill » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:52 pm

I volunteer at an MMJ clinic in Long Beach. If you have your card, come hang with me at work.
tylerbrochill

Postby Meatsauce » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:52 pm

silverlake farmers market.....go!

http://www.sunsetjunction.org/farmersmarket.html
Meatsauce

Postby Tiggz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:56 pm

Yo Jower, how do you find out about Zombie Walks?
Tiggz

Postby Meatsauce » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:00 pm

and while im sure you can label everything about this as "hipster"...its alot of fun

http://www.midnightridazz.com/
Meatsauce

Postby JOWER 106 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:08 pm

Through people I've met at Zombie Walks. Some set them up, others just find out and pass the info along. I usually make a thread about them, but they don't get too much attention. I'll post them in this thread or PM you info if I find out about something.

The last time I went to one, there were about 40 zombies and we got chased by cops, then met up at the beach and had a "Zomfire". It was a blast.
JOWER 106
Keep Everything Away From This Man's Dick

Postby WORD LIFE » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:15 pm

I'm waiting patiently for Power of the Riff.

Am I kind of a dork for wanting to go to both of the HARD Festivals at the State Historic Park?
WORD LIFE
Supports ICP and drunk driving

Postby stepxout » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Cemetery screenings are always pretty cool. Haven't gone this year, but last year I saw American Werewolf in London and Rosemary's Baby.

http://www.cinefamily.org/index.html

And the silent theater off Melrose and Fairfax is always doing cool shit. They're having a SoCal Punk Rockers thing later on this month that should be awesome.

stepxout

Postby ANTVVAN » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:36 pm

interesting thread........................

to bad i dont live in LA D;
ANTVVAN

Postby Freddie's Pizza » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:47 pm

oh wow
Freddie's Pizza

Postby WORD LIFE » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:49 pm

stepxout wrote:Cemetery screenings are always pretty cool. Haven't gone this year, but last year I saw American Werewolf in London and Rosemary's Baby.

And the silent theater off Melrose and Fairfax is always doing cool shit. They're having a SoCal Punk Rockers thing later on this month that should be awesome.

What's the SoCal punk thing? I didn't see it on the site.

I used to go there when I was a kid, before the owner was killed. That still bums me out.
WORD LIFE
Supports ICP and drunk driving

Postby shitforbrains » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:03 pm

hollywood forever does horror movie nights that are pretty fun. bring a blanket, some food and drinks. pretty good time. bon iver played a sunrise show there too.
shitforbrains

Postby Ciabatta » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:13 pm

Bulan Thai. My favorite place ever.

http://www.bulanthai.com/

Also great places to eat include House Of Pies, Hard Times Pizza, and The Coffee Table. Home is pretty good as well from what I've heard.
Ciabatta

Postby stepxout » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:16 pm

MrHill wrote:
stepxout wrote:Cemetery screenings are always pretty cool. Haven't gone this year, but last year I saw American Werewolf in London and Rosemary's Baby.

What's the SoCal punk thing? I didn't see it on the site.

I used to go there when I was a kid, before the owner was killed. That still bums me out.

7/29 @ 8:00pm / Series: Don't Knock The Rock 2010
Target Video presents:
SoCal Punk Rockers
Co-presented by Part Time Punks

In 1977, San Francisco-based artist Joe Rees founded Target Video. Target taped bands in its studio space, in clubs, at parties and on the streets of the world at a time when music television was nonexistent. With a vision and love for underground music and art, Target documented a truly explosive era, and in the process created a massive archive of punk rock performance footage that captured the scene in all its raw clumsiness and exuberance. Joe Rees and Target co-conspirator Jackie Sharp will be in-person at the Cinefamily to present a two-hour program drawing from the seemingly bottomless Target library, focusing this time on an L.A./So Cal-centric program featuring classic footage of local heroes (The Screamers, Black Flag, TSOL) alongside lesser-known-but-equally awesome acts (Nervous Gender, BPeople, The Plugz). This may be your one and only chance to ever see these clips, so this night is not to be missed! Part Time Punks DJ Michael Stock will be spinning records before and after the show!

I went to another Target video thing last year and it was pretty damn awesome. If you plan on going you should buy tickets ahead of time cause a lot of their shit sells out.
stepxout

Postby T. Young » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:18 pm

I have nothing to contribute yet... but hey.
T. Young
ginormous Biohazard fan

Postby Save Me Jeebus » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:19 pm

i have the weirdest boner right now
Save Me Jeebus

Postby jeanette » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:25 pm

jeanette

Postby IVANOOZE » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:27 pm

this is the hardest flier to read ever but fuck, i'm there for sure. wherever it is.
IVANOOZE

Postby IVANOOZE » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:30 pm

Meatsauce wrote:and while im sure you can label everything about this as "hipster"...its alot of fun

http://www.midnightridazz.com/

no care ever. hipster shit is fun. i wanna do one of these rides but i always have shit planned out way in advance.
china town is the place to be on saturday nights apparently. i just wanted to throw that out there.

also, i'd like to put in my appreciation for the gold line. i really hope they extend it out further into the foothills.
IVANOOZE

Postby jason. » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:34 pm

jason.

Postby xdingox » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:50 pm

Ciabatta wrote:Bulan Thai. My favorite place ever.

http://www.bulanthai.com/

Also great places to eat include House Of Pies, Hard Times Pizza, and The Coffee Table. Home is pretty good as well from what I've heard.

Home's alright, foods nothing to write home about it in my book but it's pretty reasonably priced and they're chill with you smoking outside at the Los Feliz location while the Silverlake location is a little nicer if you want to take a lady there.

I live about a block from Bulan in Silverlake. Panang curry with faux chicken is my jam.

Although I pretty much hate going out on weekends, I love going out around here on week nights when bars are near empty. Personal favorites include Goodluck Bar, Ye Rustic, the Drawing Room (favorite of the dives), Gold Room, Silverlake Lounge and although usually quite busy, the Cha Cha happy hour is tight.
xdingox

Postby xdingox » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Also:

[resize]http://blog.etundra.com/wp-content/Media/2009/02/kogi.jpeg,580[/resize]
xdingox

Postby xdingox » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:55 pm

carlsjrjr wrote:

this is the hardest flier to read ever but fuck, i'm there for sure. wherever it is.

RSVP required. It's another Scion event.

http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e2xw020jc34a5d37
xdingox

Postby tronjunior » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:59 pm

tronjunior

Postby IVANOOZE » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:01 pm

xdingox wrote:
carlsjrjr wrote:

RSVP required. It's another Scion event.

http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e2xw020jc34a5d37

:smt033

tanks bro.
IVANOOZE

Postby bigmike » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:11 pm

im in this thread.

on the truck tip, you gotta check out FRYSMITH.

http://www.eatfrysmith.com

they just make fries, regular or sweet potato, but they put all kinds of wild ass shit on them. kimchi with pork belly, steak rajas, chili made with beer and chocolate, and my favorite is the tamarind chicken. plus they're always introducing off the menu shit like poutine and tacos. i've tried every single thing they make and it is all amazing. they always keep vegan chili and cheese on board, and it's actually really good. also they make cookies and have a constant rotation of crazy obscure sodas. BUT THE BEST PART is they just made their portions bigger and kept the prices the same. you get like a pound of a gourmet situation for 6 bucks. respect.
bigmike

Postby Tiggz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:26 am

JOWER 106 wrote:Through people I've met at Zombie Walks. Some set them up, others just find out and pass the info along. I usually make a thread about them, but they don't get too much attention. I'll post them in this thread or PM you info if I find out about something.

The last time I went to one, there were about 40 zombies and we got chased by cops, then met up at the beach and had a "Zomfire". It was a blast.

if you could let me know about bigger ones, that would be awesome. I'm on the marketing committe for my derby league and we're always trying to find cool things to go to and promote at.
Tiggz

Postby Tiggz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:27 am

also if for some reason someone read this and was going to show up at WoW tonight for new recruit skate, don't. We have an actual practice tonight. But next week, ladies should come out for new recruits skate...or dudes, if you're interested in officiating.
Tiggz

Postby Doc McCoy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:55 am

Im single. LA punk rock chicks, holla at me.

I look good in just a pair of boxers. Just sayin.
Doc McCoy

Postby DerTodesking » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:04 am

xdingox wrote:Also:

[resize]http://blog.etundra.com/wp-content/Media/2009/02/kogi.jpeg,580[/resize]

Fucking LOVE Kogi! i was seriously intending on posting this if somebody already hadn't!
DerTodesking

Postby Tiggz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:04 am

Tiggz

Postby ACE. » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:34 am

i love LA
ACE.

Postby ITurnedIntoAMartian » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:47 am

stepxout wrote:

gahh i always wanted to check out that silent theater...
ITurnedIntoAMartian

Postby She's Lost Control » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:55 am

Free tapings of Jimmy Kimmel and Craig Ferguson. Along with free concerts and other shows.
www.1iota.com
She's Lost Control

Postby nobody likes a cynic » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:55 am

ACE. wrote:i have the weirdest boner right now

i love LA
nobody likes a cynic

Postby ManiaForConquest » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:08 am

[resize]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/Marko138/IMG_0322.jpg,580[/resize]
Best Tattoo Shop In Los Angeles! Dark Horse Tattoo! Bryan Burk has been my tattoo guy for 10 years now! He just opened his own shop a few months ago. Get something done by him. Support! Support! Support!
ManiaForConquest

Postby xIxKilledxJesusx » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:08 am

LA is the best-- I cannot fathom living anywhere else! If anyone likes good music and wants to chill hit me up!
xIxKilledxJesusx

Postby bigjuice. » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:09 am

bigjuice.
Limpario Jr.

Next