b9 runners thread v. new

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Cpt. Ahab » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:47 am

With the weather getting warmer, dad bought a new treadmill I'm getting back into running.

Only thing is I don't know anything about proper running shoes

I recently have been gettting over a knee injury and require a brace for any physical activities, and I also have low arched feet, and not much money, so if anyone knows of a decent pair of shoes for such conditions, let me know.

Also discuss your running plans for the upcoming Spring.
Cpt. Ahab

Postby GoMegan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:26 am

Now that it's warming I'm starting to run outside a little more. It's a beautiful day today I'm gona go on a 5 miles run in a bit with my mom's dog. I'm doing a mud run next month. That's gona be exciting.

Try to find a running store usually they will find shoes that work for you and then you can fin them online for cheaper. I have asics and nikes. I really like my nikes they're lighter.
GoMegan

Postby xIII FOx » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:33 am

Cpt. Ahab wrote:With the weather getting warmer, dad bought a new treadmill I'm getting back into running.

I recently have been gettting over a knee injury and require a brace for any physical activities, and I also have low arched feet, and not much money, so if anyone knows of a decent pair of shoes for such conditions, let me know.

I run about 5-7 miles a day (sometimes more if the mood strikes me) and I would never run in any shoes other than these.
I've tried running in pretty much every brand of running shoe but these seem to be the best for me.
xIII FOx

Postby Czarsy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:34 am

My knee is destroyed.
Czarsy

Postby Cpt. Ahab » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:47 am

xIII FOx wrote:
Cpt. Ahab wrote:With the weather getting warmer, dad bought a new treadmill I'm getting back into running.

I run about 5-7 miles a day (sometimes more if the mood strikes me) and I would never run in any shoes other than these.
I've tried running in pretty much every brand of running shoe but these seem to be the best for me.

I'll have to check these out, does this style have name?
Cpt. Ahab

Postby macho head games » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:55 am

i've started running a lot more lately and just got a new pair of nikes. i had a $25 off a $100 purchase so i bought that nike + ipod thing too, since the shoes i got had an indentation for the adapter and i didn't realize till i got home that it only works with ipod nanos and ipod touches. and i have a classic. i was really looking forward to using that thing too!
macho head games

Postby ryanrunning » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:58 am

yeah ive been out of the game for a while, really out of shape

i started this week with 2 miles a day, next week will get 3 and so on

currently using the asics gel evolutions because of my arch, but have realized that my arches are killing me after each run, any suggestions?
ryanrunning

Postby timxmacdonald » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:02 pm

I worked at Finish Line up until recently and as far as shoes go I'd suggest going with a pair of Asics. I'd recommend the 2150s or try finding find a pair of the older model 2140s. This shoe is pretty perfect if you have low arched feet and on a budget. It offers a duel density midsole for stability, heal gel cushioning, and an array of other features. If anything I really wouldn't go with the New Balance Zips especially if you plan on logging a lot of miles. I bought a pair because they were dirt cheap and the midsole broke down within 2 months.

If Asics isn't your thing I'd also recommend the Nike Air Max Moto 7+. It's easily one of the most comfortable running shoes that Nike has and it's pretty inexpensive, at about $60.00 from Finish Line.
timxmacdonald

Postby veganx3 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:02 pm

i love my asics... i put gel soles in mine to help my shins when i run, and i never hurt after. starting to do 3 mile runs, cant wait to run around the charles river when it gets warmer out!
veganx3

Postby kaleidoscope » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:22 pm

i'd go with a pair of asics. the 1140's are pretty good. if you go with any asics they're going to be a little more expensive then other running shoes. but they're really good quality and they usually last the longest. i don't like nikes any more because they break down really easily in my opinion. and if you're going to be doing a lot of running, i feel like they'll break down easily. but that again is my opinion.
kaleidoscope

Postby pralines and dick » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:28 pm

I like the Nike Bowermans, they're super light. I do four miles a day but should be increasing as the weather gets warmer. The only bad thing about the warmer weather is that in a month the lake front will be PACKED.
pralines and dick

Postby Whiskey Blues » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:38 pm

http://www.therunningadvisor.com/running_shoes.html#pronation

If you could find a running stores they would help you find a shoe that would work best for you.
Whiskey Blues

Postby ryanrunning » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:41 pm

if you guys live in suffolk county on long island i reccomend Schwabs 2nd Wind Running Store, the owner is great there and theyre very helpful
ryanrunning

Postby pralines and dick » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:49 pm

Have any of you guys been to those shops where they give you a pair of shoes and make you run around the block? Seems like once you've run around the block in a pair of shoes you kind of have to buy them.
pralines and dick

Postby nerd eater » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:53 pm

With the weather getting warmer I've been running with my girlfriend but it sucks because the shoes I run in are a cheap pair of Asics and they seriously fuck me up. That's what I get for picking them out myself during a sale at Dick's. Once I'm out of work today we're getting a new pair for me at a store where all the people are pros, so maybe once in my life I'll be able to build up a wind and consistently run comfortably.
nerd eater
Skott's Friend

Postby vinchinzo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:57 pm

i had a pair of air maxes that were tearing my feet up but i copped a pair of new balance 574s earlier this week and it feels like i've been running on air cushions. i've been doing 3 miles w/o stopping a day and now w/the right shoes i feel like i'll be able to go a lot farther than that by the end of the month
vinchinzo

Postby sal paradise » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:00 pm

i want to start soon. i'm from florida and not accustomed to these supposed "hills". want to join the YMCA, because it's close and affordable, is there REALLY any disadvantage to a treadmill versus normal running? i just wanna start getting fit.
sal paradise

Postby DETOX » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:01 pm

i have the weirdest boner right now
DETOX

Postby xIII FOx » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:39 pm

Cpt. Ahab wrote:
xIII FOx wrote:

I'll have to check these out, does this style have name?

They're the New Balance 8511's. They're relatively inexpensive as running shoes go.
xIII FOx

Postby ryanrunning » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:43 pm

sal paradise wrote:i want to start soon. i'm from florida and not accustomed to these supposed "hills". want to join the YMCA, because it's close and affordable, is there REALLY any disadvantage to a treadmill versus normal running? i just wanna start getting fit.

ive found that you become a stronger runner when you actually run versus being on a tradmill, but thats just my opinion
ryanrunning

Postby JERSEYJRS » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:45 pm

stoked for warm weather and outdoor running
JERSEYJRS

Postby xIII FOx » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:48 pm

ryanrunning wrote:yeah ive been out of the game for a while, really out of shape

currently using the asics gel evolutions because of my arch, but have realized that my arches are killing me after each run, any suggestions?

You're arches are probably being supported too much. Your foot moves a certain way to dissipate the energy from your foot impacting the ground. When you restrict the natural movement of your foot it's like restricting the recoil of a gun. That energy has nowhere to go and it's going to damage stuff (i.e. your arches).

On another note if your arches aren't being supported enough you'll develop shin splints. In that case just tape your arches and keep running. They'll go away and you'll be fine.
xIII FOx

Postby ryanrunning » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:51 pm

xIII FOx wrote:
ryanrunning wrote:yeah ive been out of the game for a while, really out of shape

You're arches are probably being supported too much. Your foot moves a certain way to dissipate the energy from your foot impacting the ground. When you restrict the natural movement of your foot it's like restricting the recoil of a gun. That energy has nowhere to go and it's going to damage stuff (i.e. your arches).

On another note if your arches aren't being supported enough you'll develop shin splints. In that case just tape your arches and keep running. They'll go away and you'll be fine.

im not sure if theyre being over supported, because ive been training with this set up since senior year cross country (obviously ive gotten new shoes)

i mean you could be right, but i dont think your arch can change over time
ryanrunning

Postby xIII FOx » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:03 pm

ryanrunning wrote:
xIII FOx wrote:

im not sure if theyre being over supported, because ive been training with this set up since senior year cross country (obviously ive gotten new shoes)

i mean you could be right, but i dont think your arch can change over time

Maybe this is the reason
xIII FOx

Postby CuteShawn » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:10 pm

Just ran a 5 k race this morning for st. pattys day. Finished in 28 minutes. Personal record! wahoo.
CuteShawn

Postby xIII FOx » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:21 pm

CuteShawn wrote:Just ran a 5 k race this morning for st. pattys day. Finished in 28 minutes. Personal record! wahoo.

Sweet. I'm running a 5K next weekend. Pretty stoked. Also a half marathon in May. I love running.
xIII FOx

Postby The Bridge MMA » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:27 pm

I am stoked this thread came back, I was going to make it a few nights ago, but forgot.

Well living in Alaska, winter running is always hard due to how much snow accumulates on the ground. If tomorrow is nice, it'll be my first run outside in the new year.

I just got over a long bout with shin splints. I realized that I was trying to force myself to run heel to toes, but I am a natural midstriker. I feel a million times better.

The apple of my eye right now is June 4th, the Skinny Raven Twilight 12K (TTK). I am very stoked to do it and finally convinced the parents to do it up.

PS: Anybody use RunKeeper? If so, post links.

PPS: Kayanos = :smt007
The Bridge MMA

Postby Tobias Funke » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:37 pm

praline_and_dicks wrote: The only bad thing about the warmer weather is that in a month the lake front will be PACKED.

This is so true. I would LOVE to run by the lake when it gets nicer, but fuuuuck you can barely even walk without getting trampled by people running or on bikes :smt012

Anyone here training for a marathon? I'd really love to do the Chicago Marathon this fall, but I'm not sure if I'd even be prepared enough for that yet.
Tobias Funke

Postby .Nelson. » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:41 pm

+
:smt007
.Nelson.

Postby sal paradise » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:41 pm

ryanrunning wrote:
sal paradise wrote:i want to start soon. i'm from florida and not accustomed to these supposed "hills". want to join the YMCA, because it's close and affordable, is there REALLY any disadvantage to a treadmill versus normal running? i just wanna start getting fit.

ive found that you become a stronger runner when you actually run versus being on a tradmill, but thats just my opinion

true, i thought that might be a possible difference and i can see why. i just don't know if i'm totally ready in a lot of different ways to start running around the skreets.
sal paradise

Postby The Bridge MMA » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:49 pm

ladysaraa wrote:Anyone here training for a marathon? I'd really love to do the Chicago Marathon this fall, but I'm not sure if I'd even be prepared enough for that yet.

Next year will be my first marathon, the Mayor's. There's no way, I could make it this year, it's not realistic. If I feel real good and even more confident, I'll do the Chicago in 2012 and hopefully qualify to run the Boston.

What's your normal mileage per run?
The Bridge MMA

Postby ACE. » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:59 pm

i just bruised my heel, from not stretching and then running. it hurts so bad

thought i should share my pain
ACE.

Postby The Bridge MMA » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:12 pm

ACE. wrote:i just bruised my heel, from not stretching and then running. it hurts so bad

If you didn't bruise your heel via terrain (rocks, etc), I would definitely place blame on your shoes on this one, get a shoe with good cushioned sole.

Also, don't do static stretch before you run, warm up though and still feel a little iffy, try this stretch routine out.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/07120s6-241-287--13442-000.html
The Bridge MMA

Postby .Nelson. » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:17 pm

ACE. wrote:i just bruised my heel, from not stretching and then running. it hurts so bad

fuck the Aztecs
.Nelson.

Postby cbanks » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:46 pm

Has anyone tried the Nike Lunarglide+?

They seem kind've interesting, but I'm curious if anyone's had any experience with them.
cbanks

Postby CuteShawn » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:47 pm

xIII FOx wrote:
CuteShawn wrote:Just ran a 5 k race this morning for st. pattys day. Finished in 28 minutes. Personal record! wahoo.

Sweet. I'm running a 5K next weekend. Pretty stoked. Also a half marathon in May. I love running.

hell yea man. I'm training for a half in june! then some triathlons in summer. So much biking/swimming coming up.
CuteShawn

Postby The Bridge MMA » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Expect_Resistance wrote:Has anyone tried the Nike Lunarglide+?

They seem kind've interesting, but I'm curious if anyone's had any experience with them.

They are comfortable and so light, it's like clouds on your feet.

What size shoe do you wear? Because I would sell you Lunarglides for like $30 + S&H, I bought them last November, but (painfully) found out that I have to wear 2E shoes.

If anybody has a D foot and wears 11.5, I will sell you some shoes. Lunarglides, Avants and a pair of Pegasus 26s. $30 + S&H for each of them.
The Bridge MMA

Postby mothsack » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Shaping up for next year's XC season!

This will be my second year. My current best 5k time is 20:26. I set that early in the season and even though I continued to run and get in better shape, I was unable to beat that time. Any suggestions from more experienced runners to help me increase my speed?
mothsack

Postby Collinw » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

This weather :smt007
I have been running everyday this week and I have felt amazing.
What is on everyone's playlist while they run? I have been listening to a lot of breakdown and cro-mags.
Collinw

Postby The Bridge MMA » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:58 pm

mothsack wrote:Shaping up for next year's XC season!

This will be my second year. My current best 5k time is 20:26. I set that early in the season and even though I continued to run and get in better shape, I was unable to beat that time. Any suggestions from more experienced runners to help me increase my speed?

Intervals are the best way to increase speed.
The Bridge MMA

Postby behindthescenester » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:02 pm

I usually do about 3-5 miles per day-mostly on a treadmill though. I wear Brooks Cascadia 4's. They are my favorite running shoe that I have used since I began running regularly about 4 years ago. They were less than 100 bucks and they have held up better than much more expensive Asics and such.
behindthescenester

Postby Crown$Royal » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:18 pm

When I was a runner/sponsored by Asics, I probably went through 5 pairs of the following model Kayano.. Asics are the best running shoes hands down.

Crown$Royal

Postby macho head games » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:22 pm

GoldenLights wrote:

What size shoe do you wear? Because I would sell you Lunarglides for like $30 + S&H, I bought them last November, but (painfully) found out that I have to wear 2E shoes.

If anybody has a D foot and wears 11.5, I will sell you some shoes. Lunarglides, Avants and a pair of Pegasus 26s. $30 + S&H for each of them.

how do you like the pegasus 26s? are you just selling them because your feet are too wide? i just bought some and haven't run in them yet.
macho head games

Postby cbanks » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:26 pm

GoldenLights wrote:

Ah, I'm a 12. Thanks though.
cbanks

Postby The Bridge MMA » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:26 pm

cityofgarbage wrote:
GoldenLights wrote:

how do you like the pegasus 26s? are you just selling them because your feet are too wide? i just bought some and haven't run in them yet.

Selling them because they are too wide.

I bought 2E Equalons though...very disappointed.

Asics are my running shoes, New Balance are my everyday shoes. I want to try out those new Brooks Glycerins though. Waiting for my the local running store to get them.
The Bridge MMA

Postby The Bridge MMA » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:24 am

Got to keep this alive.
The Bridge MMA

Postby Obviously Lying » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:28 am

I run in vans, which can't be good at all for me.
Obviously Lying

Postby J-Bro » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:40 am

JERSEYJRS wrote:stoked for warm weather and outdoor running

THIS. and long warm bike rides
J-Bro

Postby The Bridge MMA » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:47 am

J-Bro wrote:
JERSEYJRS wrote:stoked for warm weather and outdoor running

THIS. and long warm bike rides

OH HELL YEAH
The Bridge MMA

Postby justinmilwaukee » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:59 am

sal paradise wrote:
ryanrunning wrote:

true, i thought that might be a possible difference and i can see why. i just don't know if i'm totally ready in a lot of different ways to start running around the skreets.

there is a pretty huge difference. treadmill workouts are a great way to start a running program, get a base, build cardio, etc... but it won't replicate the leg strength you will gain running road.
justinmilwaukee

Next