Boxing

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby RJ Knuckles » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:56 pm

The other one died.

Margarito isn't getting a license in Texas.

Fighters: did the prelims for the GG start in your area yet? I can't participate this year :smt012

And RIP to my old coach and friend, Big Rick, who just passed away last week. Love you and miss you, brother.
RJ Knuckles

Postby RJ Knuckles » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:27 pm

Shawn Porter on FNF tonight. Anyone know if they'll show the Gary Russell Jr. fight?
RJ Knuckles

Postby dat dere celltech » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:44 pm

as good a place as any to post my favourite KO of the year so far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Sj6QxrTI8
dat dere celltech

Postby Tomasz! » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:33 pm

Hopefully people can keep this thread bumped so it doesn't die.

I heard Arum is gonna try to have the Margarito-Carson Jones fight in Mexico now on one of those Fox Sports shows. Probably not a good idea to go around the commissions/ABC.

Our district's Golden Gloves tournament starts in 2 weeks. I've been following the NY Metro one and it seems like they have a week between each round when to win ours you have to box 5 days in a row, I wish we used their format instead.

I missed FNF this week, did they end up showing Russell's fight? I wish they would show more of the '08 Olympians on TV even if the team wasn't very good.
Tomasz!

Postby xxmendmexx » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:43 pm

Tomasz! wrote:I missed FNF this week, did they end up showing Russell's fight? I wish they would show more of the '08 Olympians on TV even if the team wasn't very good.

No dice on the Russell Jr fight. They only showed Porter/Jordan and Lane/Tucker. Probably because they both went to decisions and took up too much TV time.

I know this is all talk and shit but I'm loving the idea of Montiel and Hasegawa unifying their titles. It always seems harder to get done in the lower weight divisions. If it happens its definitely a positive thing.

Gamboa is getting some Argentine softball in Germany in March. I wish he was fighting Chris John instead (I can dream can't I?)
xxmendmexx

Postby MangyMonteMutt » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:45 pm

Boxing>MMA

I really miss watching Jorge Arce fight.
MangyMonteMutt

Postby xxmendmexx » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:47 pm

I love both but boxing has me paying more attention lately.

Jorge is great to watch but he probably should have packed it in after the beating Vic gave him. I still like to watch the first Hussein Hussein fight and the Alvarez fight on a monthly basis. Fun stuff.
xxmendmexx

Postby Tomasz! » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:55 pm

xxmendmexx wrote:
Tomasz! wrote:I missed FNF this week, did they end up showing Russell's fight? I wish they would show more of the '08 Olympians on TV even if the team wasn't very good.

No dice on the Russell Jr fight. They only showed Porter/Jordan and Lane/Tucker. Probably because they both went to decisions and took up too much TV time.

I know this is all talk and shit but I'm loving the idea of Montiel and Hasegawa unifying their titles. It always seems harder to get done in the lower weight divisions. If it happens its definitely a positive thing.

Gamboa is getting some Argentine softball in Germany in March. I wish he was fighting Chris John instead (I can dream can't I?)

Was that Porter fighter closer then the scores indicated? I the write up I read said he had some problems. I hate that Gamboa is fighting in Germany since that won't be televised here, he should just be fighting contenders now.

And you guys might be seeing more of Arce cause he won another title the other week at 115 I think. I still have that fight on my DVR so I'm not sure if he looked good or not.
Tomasz!

Postby xxmendmexx » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:23 pm

Jordan's reach and activity presented some problems for Porter. He even rocked Porter once with a left hook (If my memory serves me right). Even still Jordan won 3 rounds at the most. Maybe 4.

He beat up some poor dude from Indonesia. TD via accidental headbutt. If hes going to keep fighting id rather it be softballs like that cause if he steps up to the elite guys again hes going to get hurt and stopped.

Yeah, I`m annoyed at the fighting in Germany thing too. It`s his promoters deal I guess. He has some TV deal and needs to deliver a decent card and Gamboa is the best guy in his stable.
xxmendmexx

Postby RJ Knuckles » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:26 pm

Tomasz! wrote:Hopefully people can keep this thread bumped so it doesn't die.

I heard Arum is gonna try to have the Margarito-Carson Jones fight in Mexico now on one of those Fox Sports shows. Probably not a good idea to go around the commissions/ABC.

Our district's Golden Gloves tournament starts in 2 weeks. I've been following the NY Metro one and it seems like they have a week between each round when to win ours you have to box 5 days in a row, I wish we used their format instead.

I missed FNF this week, did they end up showing Russell's fight? I wish they would show more of the '08 Olympians on TV even if the team wasn't very good.

Damn. Do you have to weigh in for each fight?

For us it's 2 days in row, week days off, 2 days in a row, then finals the week after.
RJ Knuckles

Postby Tomasz! » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:29 pm

brokendata wrote:
Tomasz! wrote:Hopefully people can keep this thread bumped so it doesn't die.

Damn. Do you have to weigh in for each fight?

For us it's 2 days in row, week days off, 2 days in a row, then finals the week after.

Yeah, that's a much more logical & safe format. Ours is Tuesday through Saturday with the finals on Saturday so you possibly have to box/weigh-in 5 nights straight if there is a lot of entries in your bracket. It's a logistical nightmare at the actual venue too, terrible organization.
Tomasz!

Postby Tomasz! » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Bumping this so it doesn't die :(

Is the Golden Boy show from LA Live on right now for anyone with Fox Sports? It started live at 6pm but doesn't look like it even airs here until tomorrow. I want to see Victor Ortiz get KO'd.
Tomasz!

Postby drunkenmonkey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:19 pm

I'm glad this thread is around so I can keep up on boxing :smt023
drunkenmonkey

Postby dustin// » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:38 pm

our gloves starts the 20th. not a clue when the next round is...
dustin//

Postby Dixie Normous 2 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:40 pm

i cant say if ufc is better than boxing or the other way around.ufc is cool because some matches are crazy and theres so much blood.but boxing is always good.and sometimes in ufc you get a gay match where they hug for 4 minutes.they both have their good parts
Dixie Normous 2

Postby The Alien » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:49 pm

mma shouldnt be compared to any one pure style, its mixtures of styles and therefore inherently better. Its like saying turkey>thanksgiving dinner- compare pure styles with other pure styles.

howabout kickboxing vs boxing. thats a just debate.

IMO this photograph is more exciting than footage of boxing. Axe kicks are dope and mayweather would shit his pants if he was under the shadow of one.

The Alien

Postby RJ Knuckles » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:15 pm

I think everyone in this thread at the very least respects MMA, but seriously, let's not get into a MMA vs. Boxing debate. It's 2010. Can we move past that? We get it. In your fantasy world where MMA fighters and boxers are squaring up 1 on 1 in the street with no weapons, MMA fighters will win most of the time.

Tomasz, I haven't been in the gym because I'm in my last semester of school and I work 7 days a week on top of that. A bunch of my friends are fighting on a pro card tomorrow, plus with the GG and PAL shit going down, I'm getting super bummed that I don't even have time to get to the gym, let alone compete. :smt022

Empire State Games this summer though... :smt023
RJ Knuckles

Postby Tomasz! » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:06 am

brokendata wrote:I think everyone in this thread at the very least respects MMA, but seriously, let's not get into a MMA vs. Boxing debate. It's 2010. Can we move past that? We get it. In your fantasy world where MMA fighters and boxers are squaring up 1 on 1 in the street with no weapons, MMA fighters will win most of the time.

Tomasz, I haven't been in the gym because I'm in my last semester of school and I work 7 days a week on top of that. A bunch of my friends are fighting on a pro card tomorrow, plus with the GG and PAL shit going down, I'm getting super bummed that I don't even have time to get to the gym, let alone compete. :smt022

Are the Empire State Games just a local tournament? Now that I'm out of school I think I'm just gonna go to a ton of tournaments this year and get as much as experience as possible. I kinda want to do Ringside in the summer and National PAL's for sure in Texas.
Tomasz!

Postby Tomasz! » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:08 am

Is anyone watching the Golden Boy "Fight Night Club" show right now on Fox Sports? Charles Huerta looked like he lost again to some old journeyman and still got a majority decision somehow. The Luis Ramos fight just started now, I sparred with that dude in the summer and he's unreal. Probably the best amateur star prospect that Golden Boy has right now.
Tomasz!

Postby waronillusion » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:14 am

i watched a documentary last night on dmitriy salita called orthodox stance...i liked it a lot. super likeable kid....makes me kind of bummed amir khan handed his ass to him a few weeks ago. anyways this is on netflix streaming and well worth the watch IMO

waronillusion
ginormous MLIW fan

Postby Tomasz! » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:36 am

waronillusion wrote:i watched a documentary last night on dmitriy salita called orthodox stance...i liked it a lot. super likeable kid....makes me kind of bummed amir khan handed his ass to him a few weeks ago. anyways this is on netflix streaming and well worth the watch IMO

Thanks for posting about this, I'd been looking for it for awhile. He seems like an awesome dude, I was really bummed when he lost to Khan since he's a Brooklyn dude. I hope Malignaggi can exact some revenge for him in May.
Tomasz!

Postby daze » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:39 am

boxing is a lot better than ufc. can't wait for mayweather/mosely
daze

Postby waronillusion » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:45 am

well without getting too dramatic, one of the things i love about boxing is that i think it can mirror and magnify the human condition much better than a lot of other sports or aspects of life in general...just really has a way of humanizing people if that makes sense....i love mma and train muay thai, but there is something about boxing and the people associated with it and the people you see at boxing gyms that are in some ways so stereotypical but other ways so unique....i'm kinda rambling but i'm sure you get my point somewhat...anyways one of the things great about orthodox stance is it really humanizes orthodox jews....i don't mean that in an offensive way, just in the way that if a lot of us don't have a lot of exposure to anyone like this so it was great to see how they are not really that different from anyone else....when it comes down to it people are people and take away how they dress or do their hair, how they eat or pray and they have the same ralationships as friends and joke the same way i would with my friends....totally got off topic and went on a tangent there but anyways i highly recommend this to even non boxing fans (if any happen to read this thread for some reason).
waronillusion
ginormous MLIW fan

Postby RJ Knuckles » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:43 pm

Tomasz! wrote:
brokendata wrote:I think everyone in this thread at the very least respects MMA, but seriously, let's not get into a MMA vs. Boxing debate. It's 2010. Can we move past that? We get it. In your fantasy world where MMA fighters and boxers are squaring up 1 on 1 in the street with no weapons, MMA fighters will win most of the time.

Are the Empire State Games just a local tournament? Now that I'm out of school I think I'm just gonna go to a ton of tournaments this year and get as much as experience as possible. I kinda want to do Ringside in the summer and National PAL's for sure in Texas.

It's intense. It's an open-class tournament for all of New York.
http://www.empirestategames.org/summer/pregames/boxing.htm

I got robbed in the local finals 2 years ago (ended up beating the kid on a local show a few months later), and didn't participate last year, so I'm not really sure what happens if you win the whole tournament haha. I think you qualify for one of the national tournaments, but I'm not sure which one. The Ringside tournament looks dope.
RJ Knuckles

Postby RJ Knuckles » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:45 pm

waronillusion wrote:well without getting too dramatic, one of the things i love about boxing is that i think it can mirror and magnify the human condition much better than a lot of other sports or aspects of life in general...just really has a way of humanizing people if that makes sense....i love mma and train muay thai, but there is something about boxing and the people associated with it and the people you see at boxing gyms that are in some ways so stereotypical but other ways so unique....i'm kinda rambling but i'm sure you get my point somewhat...anyways one of the things great about orthodox stance is it really humanizes orthodox jews....i don't mean that in an offensive way, just in the way that if a lot of us don't have a lot of exposure to anyone like this so it was great to see how they are not really that different from anyone else....when it comes down to it people are people and take away how they dress or do their hair, how they eat or pray and they have the same ralationships as friends and joke the same way i would with my friends....totally got off topic and went on a tangent there but anyways i highly recommend this to even non boxing fans (if any happen to read this thread for some reason).

Check out the Magic Man one too, if you haven't seen it.
RJ Knuckles

Postby aye dog » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:06 pm

i need to post in these more. upper midwest golden gloves start in april, unfortunately i most likely won't be able to compete due to hockey, just way too busy
aye dog

Postby waronillusion » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:18 pm

brokendata wrote:
waronillusion wrote:well without getting too dramatic, one of the things i love about boxing is that i think it can mirror and magnify the human condition much better than a lot of other sports or aspects of life in general...just really has a way of humanizing people if that makes sense....i love mma and train muay thai, but there is something about boxing and the people associated with it and the people you see at boxing gyms that are in some ways so stereotypical but other ways so unique....i'm kinda rambling but i'm sure you get my point somewhat...anyways one of the things great about orthodox stance is it really humanizes orthodox jews....i don't mean that in an offensive way, just in the way that if a lot of us don't have a lot of exposure to anyone like this so it was great to see how they are not really that different from anyone else....when it comes down to it people are people and take away how they dress or do their hair, how they eat or pray and they have the same ralationships as friends and joke the same way i would with my friends....totally got off topic and went on a tangent there but anyways i highly recommend this to even non boxing fans (if any happen to read this thread for some reason).

i didn't see this on netflix and don't remember seeing it on hbo on demand....any idea where i could catch it?
waronillusion
ginormous MLIW fan

Postby Tomasz! » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:28 pm

waronillusion wrote:
brokendata wrote:

i didn't see this on netflix and don't remember seeing it on hbo on demand....any idea where i could catch it?

I've been looking for this for awhile on DVD, but don't think it's out. It originally aired a bunch of times on Showtime before the Malignaggi-N'doujo fight.
Tomasz!

Postby RJ Knuckles » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:02 am

WTF happened to Rated R? That's my dude.
RJ Knuckles

Postby GdLGabe » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:17 am

I'm joining a gym and it has some boxing equipment, just a heavy bag and I'm not sure if it's a speed ball. I'm a pretty big dude so I'm going to start using it because it is a work out. Also jumping rope. Any pointers? I used to be big into lifting so I have some mass on me as well as fat. Looking to possibly cut down on some muscle too.
GdLGabe

Postby Tomasz! » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:30 am

brokendata wrote:WTF happened to Rated R? That's my dude.

That was his first fight with Brandon Jacobs as his manager too, felt bad for him. I'd never even heard of the guy he fought.
Tomasz!

Postby drunkenmonkey » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:25 am

Erik Morales is fighting again. I remember loving watching him fight when I was a kid. I hope he hangs them up again soon.
drunkenmonkey

Postby Tomasz! » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:04 pm

drunkenmonkey111 wrote:Erik Morales is fighting again. I remember loving watching him fight when I was a kid. I hope he hangs them up again soon.

I'm so bummed about this man, I loved that dude. It's at 147 too which is insane since he looked horrible above 130.
Tomasz!

Postby RJ Knuckles » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 am

Bump so it doesn't die.
RJ Knuckles

Postby RJ Knuckles » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Guzman vs Funeka II was announced today.

My boy Harrison Cuello is fighting Steve Forbes this weekend on the Urango vs. Alexander undercard. He'll lose, but in the past year he's fought Martirosyan, Ray Robinson, Chop Chop, and now Forbes.
RJ Knuckles

Postby Voxtrot » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:08 pm

James Toney just signed a multi-fight contract with the UFC. Just sayin'
Voxtrot

Postby dustin// » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:58 pm

what weight classes are you dudes?

i'm trying to get under 201. got 12 pounds to go in almost as many days...never cut cause i've only fought heavyweight before.

this, combined with the fact that it's boxing...just don't know.
dustin//

Postby Tomasz! » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:07 pm

dustin// wrote:what weight classes are you dudes?

i'm trying to get under 201. got 12 pounds to go in almost as many days...never cut cause i've only fought heavyweight before.

I'm 132, up until my last bout though I fought at 141. Kinda wish I was still doing Golden Gloves at 141 cause the world silver medalist that would have been in my bracket next week just turned pro with Golden Boy.
Tomasz!

Postby drunkenmonkey » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:57 pm

Watching PTI right now and Wilbon forgot his name and referred to Calzaghe as that British guy lol
And the Mayweather Mosley press conference scuffle was wack. Goldenboy needs to bring in some consultants or something to teach them how to pre arrange a more entertaining pre fight brawl.
Some of my favorites:

drunkenmonkey

Postby Voxtrot » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:17 pm

MC Candless wrote:boxing is a lot better than ufc. can't wait for mayweather/mosely

The fact that were seeing Mayweather/Mosley and Pacquaio/Clottey says otherwise.
Voxtrot

Postby RJ Knuckles » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:05 am

dustin// wrote:what weight classes are you dudes?

141, but I've fought at 152 plenty of times. Even after taking like a month and a half off I'm only at 149 right now. I've been thinking about trying for 132 for awhile, but it'll probably never happen.
RJ Knuckles

Postby Tomasz! » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:36 pm

Who's watching the HBO/Showtime boxing tonight? Just changed from Showtime over to HBO, I hope Alexander looks good.
Tomasz!

Postby DENVER MATT » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:38 pm

i have the weirdest boner right now
DENVER MATT
worthless wetback

Postby Tomasz! » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:41 pm

Devon Alexander lifted both of Juan Urango's feet off the canvas with an uppercut, it was like Barrera-Hamed.
Tomasz!

Postby RJ Knuckles » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:25 am

Harrison Cuello beat Forbes! Oh man, I'm so stoked. Can't wait to find out details at the gym tomorrow.

My boy James Hope also got a nice win on Saturday. Schott's boxing is taking over in 2010.
RJ Knuckles

Postby RJ Knuckles » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:48 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/the_bonus/03/02/alexander/index.html

Awesome article on Devon Alexander, his trainer, and St. Louis.
RJ Knuckles

Postby n8 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:06 am

brokendata wrote:Harrison Cuello beat Forbes! Oh man, I'm so stoked. Can't wait to find out details at the gym tomorrow.

My boy James Hope also got a nice win on Saturday. Schott's boxing is taking over in 2010.

heard your boy got a major gift. i haven't heard much about it, but i'm not sure if forbes went into the sparring mentality he sometimes gets into.

had no idea there was a thread. i made a thread earlier today not knowing this was one here. :smt003
n8

Postby The Bridge MMA » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:10 am

Stop with the MMA / boxing comparisons, Judas Priest. brokendata is completely right.

I am not a fan of boxing like data, Tomaz and the rest of you. I really do enjoy the sport though. Floyd v. Shane definitely has caught my eye big time, n/h.
The Bridge MMA

Postby Tomasz! » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:14 am

Is anyone else disappointed with how shitty this Pacquiao/Clottey card is? I legit could care less about Diaz/Soto or Sanchez/Castillo and whatever crap fight is with John Duddy. I'm sure Mayweather-Mosley will have a way better undercard.
Tomasz!

Postby n8 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:04 pm

diaz vs soto will be worth watching, although i agree it is not significant at all. i like watching soto fight. if he wins, he gets anthony peterson next.
n8

Next